Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #46  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Just had to share this...
Last night I went to a restaurant called Mediterrano. They actually have a section on their menu for lighter entrees that lists the nutritional info...don't see that to often in somewhat upscale restaurants. The section was relatively small, but I selected an entree called vegetable burec. It was soooo good! I wish I wasn't moving now! I've included the description from the online menu below...For those of you who are highly motivated, it might be a nice thing to try to make yourself. Yummy!

Here's the description:

VEGETABLE BUREC 10.95
Fresh chopped spinach, sliced mushrooms, artichoke hearts, green onions, garbanzo and kidney beans, basil, serrano peppers, sliced black olives, chopped garlic and fresh herbs wrapped in filo dough and baked to perfection.
Served with rice and steamed vegetables.
320 calories, 4 gm fat (11% of cal), 285 mg sodium, 55 gm carbohydrate

The filo sheet was wrapped around it kind of like a burrito, and they had sliced it in half on an angle.

Last edited by Tara D; 01-04-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #47  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but tonite while watching a TV show, I decided to get in the floor and try to do a little workout. I couldn't even do not ONE full sit up or crunch. Now, this is pathetic. I had hoped that with as much weight as I've lost that it wouldn't be that hard for me. I guess it's because of all the abdominal surgeries that I've had and all the mesh that is sewed in there. But, it was depressing for me. So, I made it 5 min's on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill instead. I had been advised by my Dr. not to do abdominal type workouts, but I so would like to have a flatter tummy. Anyways, I'll try to learn to be happy with what I am able to do.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #48  

Welcome, Tracey. Happy you're here.

Lindy, I count WW points most of the time because it's so easy. Every so often, though, I do look at my nutritional info in Fitday just to make sure I'm getting in enough fiber, protein, etc. and staying where I need to with sodium, fat, etc. I have the Fitday software (which I love) and I do "customize" it a lot with the specific things that I eat. It takes a little time at first, but it's worth it later.

2007 hasn't been particularly enjoyable so far. I was hit with a violent stomach flu on Tuesday, my husband got it Wednesday and my oldest son went to bed last night with a fever and tummy ache. If he has it, it will just be a matter of time before the little one gets it, too.

On top of our flu issues, we have company coming in today from out of state and they're staying for a week. I'm trying REALLY hard not to freak out.

Bummer post... sorry about that. Next time I check in, I'm hoping to have some new year cheer. Take care, everyone and talk to you soon.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #49  
lilybelle

Karyn, I hope you and your family get to feeling better.

I kept my DD home from school yesterday because she was sick with vomiting. She later told me that TOM had arrived. This seems to give her a lot of stomach pain and vomiting every time. Has anyone else had this issue with their teenage daughter? What did you do to help them? I know that I had the same problems when I was younger. I'd always spend the first day in bed, popping Midol and curled in a ball with a heating pad.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Lily: Sorry to hear about your teenage daughter feeling so crummy around that time of the month. The same thing happened to my daugther. She would consistently miss a day or two of school every single month, which was reallly starting to hurt her grades. I took her to my lady ob/gyn a few months ago and she put her on the bc pill. It has helped tremendously, and has also helped clear up her complexion. She's a much happier camper these days. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

On a happier note, I finally saw the scale go below 140! I'm so jazzed. I even made my daughter's favorite dinner last night of mashed potatoes and meat balls with gravy and had some myself. I didn't overdo it, but I did have enough to satisfy me. It was a tad salty so I certainly didn't expect the scale to go down for me this morning. Hip, hip hooray.

Karyn: I hope you guys get over the flu quickly. What a bummer to have everyone sick with company coming.

I live in Denver and we are having ANOTHER snow storm. Another 5 inches expected by noon today. Ugh. This is the third Friday in a row that we have gotten a lot of snow. I'm off to shovel...

Pam
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #51  
lilybelle

Pam, WTG on the wt. loss, wish I could say the same.

Is the BC pill causing any wt. gain in your DD? My DD worries of this. She has been missing 1 or 2 days of school each month with TOM and it is starting to affect her grades too. Makes it very difficult to keep up with her Algebra.

I did notice where Denver is being hit a lot with snow storms. I'd hate to have to shovel that snow.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default The Grocery Store is a Minefield!

Had to grocery shop yesterday at Trader Joe's and the local grocery store. I felt like I needed to keep my head down, wear some kind of blinders, and chant, "I want a healthy lifestyle! I want a healthy lifestyle!", just to make it out without anything unhealthy or unnecessary! Wow, it was hard! The loot they stack by the register at Trader Joe's is insanely tempting, and the grocery store is no different! But I made it through, and it will make me stronger for the next time (or more aware of how difficult it can be). Does anyone still struggle with this? I just HATE the feeling of, "OOOoooh, I want that (drool)."

Karynlee, I too am a FitDay user. I have the software at home and I weigh food out in grams and enter it on FitDay. I love it and have been using it for a little more than a year now (but I've been weighing, measuring, and counting calories in a food journal for eight years prior to that) . My struggle is not with accuracy or healthy foods or anything like that... it's just the good old-fashioned desire to overeat. But I'm working on it.

Actually, today, for the first day in a while, my clothes are finally feeling loser. Whew! I guess I need to cherish this feeling the next time I'm in the grocery store.

Lindy
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #53  

Height: 5'7"

I do OK in my familiar grocery store, since I know what is there, what aisles to go down and which to skip, where to go fast and where to take time, but it is tough in an unfamiliar store where you have to look at everything to figure it out.

Got back from the doc and I have strep throat. I'm on antibiotics now, massive doses of ibuprofen, and starting to feel better.

Anne
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #54  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Lilybelle:
I'm on the BC pill (basically to keep me from bleeding to death every month--it has changed my life amazingly--love it), and haven't noticed any weight gain at all. The pills are much lower dose than they were in the past, so I think the weight gain problem is less common these days.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #55  
lilybelle

Thanks Tara, I may end up trying this for her. She really needs something to help her.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #56  

Hi Lily. I agree with what Tara said about the bc pills being lower dose these days so there is less of a problem with weight gain and breast tenderness, etc. That said, my daughter did notice a bit of weight gain, but not a lot. She does have a close friend who gained about 20 pounds after she went on the pill but her doctor is working with her to adjust the dose and type of pill. I'm on the pill too and have been for many years. I think that your body gets used to it after a few months and regulates itself. On another related note, before I lost weight, I was considering breast reduction surgery and frequently heard from other ladies in a breast forum that the bc pill made their breasts grow larger and undid the reduction surgery. I'm not sure if it's related, but it sure seems like a lot of people have said that. I'd get your DD in to see the doc and see what he/she recommends. It's turned out to be a great move for my almost 16yo. I can see getting some cramping and headaches once a month but vomitting?! That's just not fair. Poor kid.
Good luck!
Pam
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #57  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

When I was in high school I also had terrible cramps and would carry a big bottle of ibuprofen around with me all the time to attempt to take care of it. I went on the pill when I was 17 and have been on it (or variations, right now I'm on Nuvaring) since then, and I love it! I barely get cramps, my bleeding is much less, and I don't have wild mood swings anymore. I have both gained and lost weight while on the pill -- but honestly anything I gained was because I was eating too much, not because of the pill. When I first started on it I had basically morning sickness for a week or two, but I haven't had any side effects since then.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that if your daughter just makes sure she doesn't suddenly start eating a lot after going on the pill there will probably be no weight gain problem. But obviously whether or not to put her on the pill should be a doctor's decision after examining her symptoms.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #58  
lilybelle

I talked to her tonite about going to see my female gynecologist. She doesn't want to go. (I'm sure she's probably heard horror stories from her friends). If this continues, I'll talk her into letting me take her.

paperclippy, she definitely has the mood swings.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #59  

Hello Maintainers and Happy New Year!

Sounds like a lot of you are off to a good start.

Meg - great job getting back to the basics, as you always say!

Mel - I've done what you describe more times than I can count and I never know why either. January will be a better month.

Anne - hope you're feeling better, strep is the worst!

Hello to everyone and looking forward to posting more with you in 2007!!

I'm enjoying my new baby girl - she is such a cute little bundle. She is gaining weight like crazy and getting that cute chubby baby look that I love so much. AND she is sleeping so well at night without me doing much to encourage it...I'm actually rested and it feels wonderful. She is 8 weeks old now.

Since the baby was born (8 weeks ago), I have not had one sweet or trigger food. This is hands down the LONGEST I've ever gone eating clean and I feel fantastic. Not only have I avoided sugar but I did it through the holidays, including T-giving, Christmas and New Years. Not one cookie, pie or glass of egg nog. In fact, there is a long, long list of foods I usually indulge in over the holidays and this year I had nothing but lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies. My confidence is soaring right now because in the past I never thought I could do it, I've always felt entitled to eat my way through the holidays. My energy levels are sky high. OK, I don't mean to pat my own back, but at 36 yrs old, this really is a first.

My other resolution that I want to share is to make changes to reduce CO2 and help fight global warming. I bought compact flourescent lights recently and will be shopping for a hybrid car soon. We also eat organic foods almost exclusively and reuse our shopping bags and avoid packaged foods as much as possible. The warm weather in NH this Jan. is alarming (60 degrees out today!). By saying this, I hope all of you will consider some changes to reduce CO2, if you haven't already.

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #60  

Lily: You might want to reassure your daughter that the ob/gyn probably won't even examine her. You might want to call the doc first and find out to be sure, but my ob/gyn simply talked to my daugher and me in her office. She never even took her into the exam room. She went back a few months later for a recheck and didn't even want me to come in with her she felt so comfortable! So they did go into an exam room but still no exam, just talk. She told me daughter that she wouldn't do a pelvic unless she was having problems or until my daugher was sexuallly active or until she turned 18, I think. You might want to keep talking to your daughter about getting checked out. You could, of course, just take her to your family doctor or pediatrician if she is freaking out about the ob/gyn. I hate to see her keep suffering.
Pam
Closed Thread