Wacky fair foods

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • It might be a little late in the year to be thinking of state fairs, but I found this article on wacky fair foods:

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...y-fair-foods/1

Warning, one or two of the items in this display are real appetite-killers!
  • YUCK! It's really sad when the fried butter is one of the more appetizing items there.
  • ummmm, burger with bacon/cheese between 2 donut buns? Hello? Disgusting.
  • Ok, I was sure that I'd be drooling given that I'm a food addict, but honestly, most of those items were not fit for consumption. Some just seem odd. Who would enjoy a fried pickle? Who would enjoy chocolate covered bacon? I like bacon and I like chocolate, but that doesn't mean they should be combined. It really is shocking. Thanks for posting.
  • Sad as it is... my sons have actually tried a few of these - deep fried pickles, the krispy kreme burger (the sweet smell made me gag), deep fried bacon and chocolate covered bacon. Even sadder is that none of them were tried at a fair. In Texas, it's all about putting the strange foods on menus. Another big thing down here is deep fried mac n' cheese.
  • I actually fried dill pickle chips. Surprisingly good.
  • Personally I am going for the mealworm-covered caramel apples! NOT Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • I have to say...fried pickle is pretty delicious. It really satisfies a craving for salty/tart/crunchy like no other.
  • Actually I thought the fried pickles sounded pretty good too
  • I'd eat the chocolate covered bacon and the fried pickles, and I'd try the pickle pops. The rest of the stuff doesn't look too good to me.
  • Quote: Personally I am going for the mealworm-covered caramel apples! NOT Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Amen, Misti, that's the appetite-killer *I* was thinking of! Nothing wrong with fried pickles, I've tried those, they're no worse than fried anything else
  • Someone at my boyfriend's office brought in chocolate covered bacon once. He said it was actually pretty good. But again, this is a man who owns more than one bacon related shirt so I can't say I'm surprised he liked something that primarily consisted of bacon.
  • Scorpion is actually REALLY good.
  • Wow, people actually eat that stuff? Cheeseburger with fried ice cream, what? I thought I had a bad diet xD
  • I am not tempted by most of the creations on this list. However, some of them don't seem so bad. I'd try chocolate covered scorpion, python kebabs (which looks healthy), and pickle pops.

In San Francisco, there is a "Bacon Bacon" food truck that travels to different neighborhoods. I've bought a bouquet of chocolate covered bacon for my office. I tried a piece and liked it. My coworkers loved it. We get excited when Bacon Bacon parks nearby.