Lighten Up! Feeling a little stressed out over your diet? This forum is for you! Laugh a little, relax, and take a load off!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

It's a good thing I wasn't married in the 50s/60s. I would NOT have done well.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #17  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

"remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours." Good God.
"Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him."

Thank the lord for feminism. I want to laugh, but I can't help feeling depressed...this was published on 50 some odd years ago...
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #18  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Oh these are classics....I have an old betty crocker cook book from the 40's 50's I have to look it up, and it was full pearls such as these....I keep it just to get a good laugh........on the other hand my husband has a( Doris day fetish) My analysis, he believes all women should wear dresses....lol he just bought me a skirt. and yes I do wear it to please him.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #19  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

I do think there's something to be said for making your home a comfortable place to come home to...but it's something John and I do TOGETHER...LOL!!!

I love doing things for my hubby, and he loves helping me out too. That's what makes our marriage so great.

(I too am glad that I was not a housewife of the 50s!!!)
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #20  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Well, I guess being a little more gay would definitely make his day a little more interesting... It would definitely make mine more interesting, LOL!

And I love this one:

I guess these are the many reasons why I'm not married!
^^ This totally made me LOL!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #21  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

OMG! ....I am a terrible wife then..and speaking of Lysol, I have seen the ad too, you can find it here: http://oddee.com/item_96674.aspx
Scroll about half way down, but feel free to enjoy the others as well.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 AM   #22  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

OK ladies, be prepared to be grossed out: Lysol was used as a douche to prevent pregnancy (among other things). I kid you not. Read on:

In the late 1920s Lysol disinfectant began being marketed by maker Lysol, Incorporated and distributor Lehn & Fink, Inc. as a feminine hygiene product. They intimated that vaginal douching with a Lysol solution prevented infections and vaginal odor, and thereby preserved marital bliss[7]. This Lysol solution was also used as a birth control agent, as post-coital douching was a popular method of preventing pregnancy at that time. The use of Lysol was later discouraged by the medical community as it tended to eliminate the bacteria normal to the healthy vagina, thus allowing more robust, health-threatening bacteria to thrive, and may have masked more serious problems that certain odors indicated in the first place.[8] All the same, Joseph De Lee, a prominent American obstetrician who held great sway over American obstetric practice through his writings, encouraged the use of Lysol during labor. "...[J]ust before introducing the hand, the vagina is liberally flushed with 1 per cent lysol solution squeezed from pledgets of cotton, the idea being to reduce the amount of infections matter unavoidably carried into the puerperal wounds and up into the uterus by the manipulations." [9]

In the US, from around 1930 to 1960, vaginal douching with a Lysol disinfectant solution was the most popular form of birth control.[10] US marketing ads printed testimonials from European "doctors" touting its safety and effectiveness. The American Medical Association later investigated these claims. They were unable to locate the cited "experts" and found that Lysol was not effective as a contraceptive.[10]

Can you imagine??? Between things like this and how women were portrayed in ads, no wonder women revolted in the 1960s. To quote an old Virginia Slims commercial, "You've come a long way baby!" Thank goodness. :/
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

A year or so ago I posted some links to old Lysol-douche ads on another thread. Maybe back then the Lysol formula was gentler and was reasonably safe to use as a topical antiseptic (as some of the ads suggested, ETA 06.24 and mizski's source specifies "1% lysol solution" which is pretty dilute), but I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT TRY THAT WITH TODAY'S LYSOL! ::wishes there was a skull-and-xbones smiley::

ETA 06.23: Issues of using household cleaners for fem hygiene aside, didn't it occur to anybody (including me: get the wet lo-carb noodle and give me 20 lashes) to run this how-to-be-a-good-wife thingie by our friends @ Snopes? (Hint, it's accurate in the 50s attitudes it reflects, but its supposed source can't be traced, something like those "Granny's washday receet" or "Instructions for teachers 1872" lists)
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp

Last edited by ANOther; 06-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

LOL. I never could have done any of that, not without lots of booze anyway!
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #25  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Oh, don't even get me started on the Good Wife's guide!!!!

I was reading part of the Good Man's guide and cackled so loudly now I'm going to have to let Hubby read them both!!! Plus the Lysol just to gross him out! {me too!}

On the plus side of the Good Wifes guide, I don't work and Hubby does. He often tells me how nice it is for me {and the dog!} to greet him at the door when he gets home. Awww!

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 06-30-2009 at 03:25 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #26  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

douching in general is a terrible idea. part of the Good Man's Guide should say, "You don't want to deal with girl smells? Clean your balls."
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted lady View Post
douching in general is a terrible idea. part of the Good Man's Guide should say, "You don't want to deal with girl smells? Clean your balls."
Preach it!
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #28  

Unfortunately, there are many who still believe in this ancient, outdated, poppycock!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote