Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Candice - WTG!! You deserve a happy dance for that!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 PM   #17  
On LAWL since 1/10/07

S/C/G: 212.8/183/140

Height: 5'8" or 9"

Thumbs up

Candice - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
You will definitely not regret it. I quit smoking for the second time about 5 years ago. I did gain some weight but I really believe it is because I used food to substitute for my oral fixation and something to do with my hands.

Had I seen these earlier posts, I would have told you that I think quitting while you are on a plan like LAWL is the perfect time because you are able to consciously watch what you eat, and if necessary make adjustments so that you don't gain and you keep losing.

You have made on of the best decisions of your life. I applaud you and know you're gonna do great.
DenverChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #18  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Great job Candice!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #19  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations!!! What a great thing to do for yourself. I quit 3 years ago when I became pregnant, and never looked back. I wish you all the willpower in the world, when you need it.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 AM   #20  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Wow, Candice.......this is the best news I've heard all day!!!! We are SOOOOO proud of you!!!!!!! I quit in May of this year. It was tough.......but went wayyyy better than I thought it would. Your renewed sense of self worth, most likely due to your fabulous successes on LAWL, sooo wants you to take care of yourself. It' funny how one positive change begets another. And holy crap........the gold plan!!!! WOW!!!

When I quit, I did gain weight (about 20 pounds), but I truly think I would have gained the weight anyway. I was in quite a funk about life......but it's so much better now.

Quitting smoking is like any other life change..........there is a honeymoon phase.......and it will pass.......but don't be scared. I really kind of got depressed about a month after I quit. I truly felt like I had lost my best friend. I talked to my doc, and she gave me Wellbutrin (which is used for both depressing and quitting smoking). I am still taking it. I'm not sure if I still need it or not, but I will talk to her when I have my next appt. in March. It wasn't like a miracle pill or anything........it was still real hard to stay strong.........but, I want to tell you..........time makes the cravings space further and further apart. And, someone else mentioned that it's not really the cigarette you want anymore......it's just certain times that you want a smokie treat. Like at Christmastime with my family (a big bunch of smokers)........this was my first Christmas as a non-smoker. It was kind of weird, but ok. I didn't have to freeze in Wisconsin, smoking out on the porch either. And there are other times that it totally catches me off gaurd...........like after doing something that I would normally have a smoke after that I haven't done in a a long time.......and I'll think to myself.....why am I thinking about smoking..........it's been like 8 months!!!!!!!

The other thing that it took me a LONG time to realize is that now when I take a break (which used to include a smokie treat), I truly relax, cuz I am not inhaling nicotine into my bloodstream. It's awesome. On days when I feel like I cannot take it anymore.........I say, "hold on, mommy needs a quick break," and I actually go into my bedroom, shut the door, and lie on my bed for like 3 or 4 minutes.....take some nice deep breaths......and I actually feel refreshed. It is sooo nice not to be a slave to cigarettes anymore. I used to use all of my energy figuring out how I could get one more smoke in before this or that......or OMG, flying.........how that sucked cuz you can't smoke on a plane.........and I only wanted to go to restaraunts that allowed smoking........now I feel that I have all this freedom I never new existed. Oh, and about the deep breaths........take them when you want a smoke, and tell yourself, "I am tobacco free." I learned that from a hypnotist, and although I dind't use the golden info the first time I heard it........when I did actually WANT to quit.......I used it all the time. We smokers (well, ex-smokers) love to take a nice long inhale of smoke......and one of the things we miss are the nice deep breaths. YOu wouldn't believe how beneficial those same deep breaths are when they are filled with nice clean air!!!! Your body will love you for it......it's like a tiny little boost. And the self message..."I am tobacco free," send the message to your brain that this is a very postive change........cuz our brains tend to ignore the, "I won'ts. So, essentially, you can, "change your mind," and get that brain to work for you, instead of against you. Studies show that repetition like that really does work. Dang, I am going to have to write a book called, "Change your mind......how to fake it till you make it." I'm gonna.......

Candice.......thanks for reminding me how happy I am that I quit smoking.....and girl......do whatever you have to do......but do not ever touch another smokie treat. Cuz, now, you are tobacco free Congrats!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #21  
LAWL since October, 2006

Congratulations Candace!!!!

Way to go on your successes - smoking AND weight!! Like Nicole put it so well - your body will thank you for that. Congrats again!
Makena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #22  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

Candice!

I too am an ex-smoker and I can tell you it was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. As Nicole mentioned, you are doing yourself a HUGE healthy favor. Not only are you adding years on to your life, reducing the risks involved but you will enjoy food so much more. I too was worried that I would gain weight but you are aware and on an awesome weight loss plan so you will be fine.

This first step is the hardest but you can do it! When you need support come to the board, if you really want to smoke do something else. Avoid the triggers and before long you will not even like to smell smoke let alone crave a cigarette.

Congratulations on changing your life Candice....you are well on your way to healthier you!!
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #23  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Thank you girls!

I am having a bit of a problem.. I used to smoke 13 cigarette's a day.. that took up a lot of time right. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I played pogo for the first few days and that was fun.. But I can only play so long before getting bored ya know. Dh was playing yesterday and today and keeping himself busy and his mind off smoking and really enjoyed the games. But for me, I laid down for 10 min.. got up.. watched tv.. went back to the computer.. got up went back to the tv 20 min later.. went back to the computer.. went to watch dh play games.. just over and over.. I am just really bored and the time is passing REALLYYYY REALLYYY SlOW where as time used to pass sooo quick for me I would wake up and the next thing I would know it was already time to make dinner. dh joked and said I should take up knitting. I don't think I want to do that.. but really I don't know what to do. I don't fell like doing anything I am interested in right now(photography, digital scrapbooking, computer/web).
Any advise appreciated!!
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #24  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Candice, here are my suggestions for when time goes too slowly, and you might feel like cheating...

-get a glass of water
-do a crossword puzzle (even if you never have before)
-play boardgames online (i like yahoo's literati or games.com monopoly) I could get lost for hours playing those!
-make yourself clean something. nothing cures my boredom like scrubbing a toilet.
-start a new hobby/habit, scrapbooking, yoga, french cooking (well maybe not that considering the forum we're in!), sewing, knitting, write a journal, write a book...
-volunteer somewhere...lots of local humane societies love to have volunteers come to walk the dogs etc...kills time.
-go see more movies...they are cheaper than ever now
-hang out with other non-smokers and see what they do
-hang out in places where it would be impossible to smoke

Okay, that's a little more than you asked for..sorry! I hope it helps.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:49 AM   #25  
Kate - LAWL since 10/06

S/C/G: 211.0/154.2/130.0

Height: 5'1"

Keep it up Candice, you will do great. I quit smoking almost 5 years ago now. You really have to take it one day at a time. You can do it!!!!
katiebug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #26  
On LAWL since 1/10/07

S/C/G: 212.8/183/140

Height: 5'8" or 9"

Candice, I had the same problem. You are so used to having something to do with your hands that you start getting figity. I think I missed the act of smoking almost more than the nicotine.

Angie has a lot of good suggestions. I took up cross-stitching, woodworking, and rearranging the furniture - a lot. What about working out? Going to the gym? Volunteering for a local cause that needs someone to file or make phone calls? Detail your car, wash all your clothes, put fresh paint on all your walls - this will start to remove the smell of nicotine from your surroundings.

I am sure you will make it through. The first 3 weeks are the hardest and then it starts to get better.
DenverChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #27  
Post-Master

I agree with what everyone has said, but be careful. You do want to beable to relax sometimes.....and staying busy might help you not smoke, but it can also drive you mad!!! The first time I tried to quit, I re-painted our whole house, inside and out. (outside was the windows and trim and stuff, not the entire house). I did it all in 1 month....and I got soo darn tired from "keeping busy," that I broke down and smoked just so I could rest for a while. Dumb, I know.......but you do have to find a balance. I am thinking that now that you are at work, today will be loss boring. Please remember to take your breaks at work too. Often, as a non smoker, we forget that we deserve breaks. And, truly, try to work out in your head what on earth ever caused you to smoke.......and then work on THAT. If you get to the root of the problem......the problem will actually get solved......not just put off and conquered with pure will. You can do this, Candace.........if I can become tobacco free.....than ANYONE can.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #28  
Post-Master

also........smoking is something DH and I used to do together....and we always went outside to smoke. I really missed that time with him at first.......we didn't realize we were shorting ourselves nice 10-15 minute conversations. Now, we know, and we do things like grocery shop together........take little car rides together......just to sneak in a few minutes with just each other, and no electronic or other distractions Sometimes we even go for a walk together.......but not lately......guess I might have to check into that
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 PM   #29  
Candice on LAWL

S/C/G: 242/221/under 200!

Thank you girls!!
DH & I hit our 7 day mark yesterday and I printed up a certificate on BC Quit net :P They are hanging on the fridge
Candiflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #30  
Post-Master

Candice.......WTG!!! I have been thinking about you.....wondering how you are doing I'm really happy for you.....both of you