Old 10-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #1126  
FBD/8-18-08

Ulanda - we don't do Halloween either... and I'm still recuperating from the Festival of Heroes! (My back is still having muscle spasms from leaning over that cotton candy machine!)

Okay - candy, candy, candy... I think we all should give out apples and oranges like they used to, or you could hand out licorice (if you don't like it!), what about stickers, pencils, erasers, party favors... There has to be something you guys could have on hand without fear of eating it!!!

I was supposed to have a meeting at church at 8:30 this morning but the goober forgot! So, instead I waited around and went in the office and offered to help out for a few hours... (I actually start tomorrow at 1). They didn't take a second to take me up on the offer and 3 hours later, I left for home. It was really busy and I love that atmosphere! I'm definately blessed with an administrative gift, so juggling several things at once is fun. Our Pastor wanted to "dictate" some letters and the other sec. doesn't enjoy writing down his letters and then typing them, and neither of us do dictation, so she asked me to do them. Then, Pastor asked me if I wanted to try keying the letter as he dictated it instead of speed writing it... I was game if he was since I do transcription - how bad could it be?
It was pretty funny... he pauses to think often enough that I could easily keep up and actually wait on him... I guess I made my first "impression" and the other sec. is forever in my debt and she REALLY hates doing them!
I think this could be a great thing... we'll just take it a day at a time and see how it works out...
Gotta go - got keying to do...
Blessings,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM   #1127  
LAWL Member

S/C/G: 214/178/150

Height: 5'1"

Pearl - I hand out candy, pencils, erasers, keychains, coloring books w/ crayons, cups, and a juice box to each trick or treater....I also have granola bars and fresh fruit on hand in case I get a diabetic child ... and you would be surprised how many diabetic children trick or treat just so they don't miss out on the experience. We only get around 25-50 trick or treaters.
MickeySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #1128  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Michelle,
Is trick or treating and Halloween a super big deal in MO? I was blown away my first trick or treat here. People bring their fire pits out onto their driveways, and have the kids do actual tricks to get their treats!!! What a fun tiime for everyone. Is it like that in KS also, or is it just my crazy neighborhood? It seems like whatever the occassion, STL celebrates it in style!!!

KrispieD.......have so much fun at the game. I LOVE the Packers...my hometeam. I am from WI.......Kenosha to be exact.....about 2 1/2 hours from Green Bay. I have yet to go to a game.........tickets are like gold in WI. Have fun, they are having a real good streak right now. And.......CONGRATULATIONS on being one step closer to Onederland!!!!!!

Last edited by Mama Nicole; 10-31-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #1129  
LAWL Member

Nicole - We just are all family here...My neighbor hood rocks at Halloween! My neighbors rent the BIG Bounce Houses and each kid has to either give a treat or do a trick to bounce...whoever chooses not to bounce gets a piece of candy...the donated candy! I set up a Large decorated Table in the front yard and lay everything out Then I put donated Trick or Treat bags (another neighbor is a volunteer fireman and he gives me a bunch of the bags from the fire department to use) so the kids can load them! I also set out my short daycare tables/chairs so if the kids need a break from the bounce house they can sit and enjoy their juice boxes and candy and color in their coloring books I give out. The adults get a Hot Cocoa or a cider...My Other neighbor does ihis whole basement in a haunted House and allows you to go threw the house...at the end you get a gift certificate for a Dilly Bar for the DQ the whole neighbor hood does it! But we are about 15 min. outside of Jefferson City. Not to far but far enough that noone from town ventures out here for trick or treating except families that have moved to town and they come bec. they know it's safe and a lot more entertaining then walking for miles knocking on doors. There's alot to do and about 25 hoouses. Most of them participate if not at their own house then at someone elses.

We also have neighborhood baseball teams that are mixed w/ adults and kids w/ a dj for music and a big b-bQ about 4 times every summer and 4th of July here beats anything going on in Town at the Capital!
Old 10-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #1130  
LAWL,nursing,red,no lites

S/C/G: 168/143/135 pre baby stats

Being you all are talking about Halloween, I’m coming out of lurking to chime in. Halloween is huge at our house. We get over 700 kids (and we live in a small town). Most of my neighbors get dressed up, we all decorated like the Griswolds, play Halloween music and some of us even set up haunted houses in our garages or houses. Being this will be the last year of "just the three of us", we're dressing up as the 3 Musketeers! We get out our fire pit also, but only because we need it. It’s going to be a high of 19 degrees w/ the wind chill tonight. It gets a little crazy and expensive, but it’s so much fun.
dawn78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #1131  
LAWL Member

Hello Dawn! We like it when lurkers come out of the closet! Halloween brings out the Mayberry! 700 kids...YIKES! That would get expensive! But I bet it makes it more interesting to stay home than go out! I love the 3 Musketeers thing!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #1132  
FBD/8-18-08

Michelle - I'm coming to your house - I already LOOK like I've got on a costume...
We used to give out candy even though we don't do Halloween because I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone did... The first year - not one. The second year - not one. The third year - the "neighborhood" had grown and we got one. I think it's because we live in the boonies and it's soooo far between houses. Oh well, my german shepherd would give the poor little ones a coronary anyway! Of course, they'd love little Digger man!
Sounds like you all are going to have a ball! (just make sure it isn't a popcorn ball or gum ball!)
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #1133  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

do you think huffing reeses peanutbutter cups counts? they sure do smell good
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #1134  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

KrispieD
Quote:
Pilates . . .. teacher was trying to teach us how to throw our legs over our heads.. yah right! Maybe if I was reaching for a chocolate bar with my toes or something!
I'll have to think of that next time I try Pilates!!! LOL!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #1135  
kristie

S/C/G: 255/240/180

Height: 5'6''

Default Halloween

Wow you guys sound like you had so much fun today. My school had a costume parade and then of course it was time for class parties Luckily for me, my state legislature has decided that schools can no longer pass out unhealthy items. At first I thought this was a little strange but, I was happy today. There were cookies because they have a little bit of nutrition. We served veggies, fruit, crackers and cheese. There were also some chips but they had to be Baked chips. I didn't even look at cookies. When I got home it was time for the trick-or-treaters. I purchased a single bag of Dum-dum suckers. I don't like them so I knew it wouldn't be a problem. We had a total of about 15 kids. It just wasn't too exciting. I did have some FF SF Ice cream today, extra starch. But, Tommorrow is another day and I will be POP Have a great day!!!
tweeteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #1136  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Wow - all of you did so much yesterday... you must be all tuckered out!

We didn't have very many kids, maybe 50? It swings wildly from year to year, so I never have any idea how many to expect. I bought gummy crabby patties and sweet tarts to give out - I hate them, so it worked for me.

I hope all of you and your kids and neighbors had fun!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #1137  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeteach View Post
Luckily for me, my state legislature has decided that schools can no longer pass out unhealthy items. At first I thought this was a little strange but, I was happy today. There were cookies because they have a little bit of nutrition. We served veggies, fruit, crackers and cheese. There were also some chips but they had to be Baked chips.
Tweet - It's not just your state. The Federal Gov't mandated that all schools participating in free/reduced lunch program have a wellness policy. Each school district had to devise and adopt it by Sept 06. There was only a 'template' to follow, so some schools might be more strict than others. I know this because I was the chairperson of our wellness committee, so I'm the one with the big target on my back. We chose a middle of the road policy that encourages healthy snacks, but allows one unhealthy item per party. We had a big booth at open house and I had the kitchen cook make fat free cookies and other items that met our policy. People were pretty suprised at what was allowed, they had expected it to be a lot worse.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote