Starting LAWL

• Hey everybody!
    I signed up for LAWL yesterday after work. They won't let me start the juice til tomorrow, so I can go back in on Monday. BUT, I'm really excited to see so many people on it here! I haven't been to 3fc for over a year..... Anyway, I don't know what color plan or anything about what they'll put me on, but I'll find out Monday I guess!

One things for sure, I'm gonna need all the help I can get. I live with my fiance, and I have 2 kids and he has 3. (Only 1 of his lives here). My fiance - can I say "df" instead of "dh"? - he loves to buy all kinds of junk food, and he thinks he's being sweet when he brings me sweets.... but he says he'll help me, so we'll see.

Any advice for coping with the whole family getting to pig out while I starve? Are there things in the plan we can all eat together? I don't want my younguns getting to be a porker like me....
  • Welcome flowerjenni! You'll find lots of support and helpful advice here! Jump right in to the losers and friends thread - that's where most of our chatter takes place.

In answer to your question - my family is forced to to LAWL with me - I certainly don't cook a seperate meal for myself - most days. I find with a little adjustment, most everything I make can be altered to be on-plan. So, my family is eating a lower sodium, lower fat diet, with more veggie choices. Healthy all the way around!

Try really hard not to look at it as depriving yourself. I think that will only set a person up to fail. There are lots of healthy versions of most snacks around - and honestly, although I still like some of them, after being on LAWL for 6 months, my tastes have really changed. Ask DF if he will keep his snacks at work, instead of in the house. Find busy work to do, if the family is a late-night snacker. I tend to fold laundry while the kids are having ice cream, or save a fruit for later in the day - my favorite right now is frozen blueberries, dipped in FF cool whip.
  • Welcome and congrats for making the fist big step. DH and I did the plan together and our girls ate basically what we ate. Of course there are times they opt for something else (if we have fish or something), but 90% of the time they eat what we eat--what a great life lesson. Now that DH is on maintenance it's a little harder but once you get into the program and start seeing the pounds drop it gets easier to resist. A major key is planning your menu so if the family wants to eat out you can plan your meal--every place anymore has grilled chicken a salad so if the kids want McDonalds, you can work that into your day. Stick around, keep reading, ask questions--you'll love all the information and support.

Good Luck!
  • Welcome! If you're a cook, I would recommend checking out our recipe threads. And... even though it's a little pricey... buying the COD cookbook. I use mine a few times a week. It gives you some great ideas.

Don't be shy... just jump in and ask any questions you may have. There's always someone around here to help.

• In answer to your question -- for the most part, I don't cook separate meals. However, I always have chicken on hand so that way if I make something that the family really wants (hamburger helper for example) that I'm not supposed to, I can pop a chicken in the oven or George Foreman grill for me, and have it on salad.

glad you found us here!