I'm a Camp Counseler for a week, need food advice!

• Hey guys, I am going to be a Camp Counselor next week from Sunday to Friday. This is a overnight, 24/7 youth church camp. They have a cook that feeds the crowd. I'm not sure what to do about eating!
    I am in week 6 of the gold program. This is what I figure so far:
    *take my own fruit and veggies
    *take my LA lites
    *take some V8 and V8 fusions
    *Make due on protein with camp foods

Any suggestions?
  • I feel your pain!! DD and I are going to church camp next week and went to the COD today for a little shot in the arm. Absolutely no help there!

Listen, the only thing I can think to do is carry my own fruit/veggies. I also have some LA Snacks that I like (i.e., Toffee Popcorn). The only other thing I can think to do is eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm satisfied, and be the best camp counselor I can be!! I know the food is designed to be kid friendly, cheap, and not figure friendly.

Do the best you can, drink a lot of water, and be active!! Good luck!!

Andi
  • Quote: Hey guys, I am going to be a Camp Counselor next week from Sunday to Friday. This is a overnight, 24/7 youth church camp. They have a cook that feeds the crowd. I'm not sure what to do about eating!
    I am in week 6 of the gold program. This is what I figure so far:
    *take my own fruit and veggies
    *take my LA lites
    *take some V8 and V8 fusions
    *Make due on protein with camp foods

Any suggestions?
    April, that's what I'd do. If you have access to a fridge, take what you would eat at home and fix it yourself.

Most importantly make sure you have a scale and measuring cups, etc. so you can weigh/measure.

I'm going on July 18th to Table Mountain for a week. This is a HUGE star party and I'll be up there till Sunday the 23rd. I will have my motorhome so I'm just going to eat just like I have been. The only difference is that I won't be weighing in on Wed. and Fri. I'm going to do my best to lose while I'm up there in the mountains. Good luck to you.
  • Just a follow up, I wanted to let you guys know how it went. I weighed in at the center today after being at camp all of last week, and I lost 0.6 lbs! I was really excited that not only did I not gain, but I lost a little!

I packed a box of food which contained:

non-refridgerated items:
    * a loaf of LITE wheat bread
    * applesauce packs
    * LA lites
    * boxes of organic raisins
    * pack of natural dried fruit
    * V8 fusion (1 v, 1 f)
    * cherry tomatoes (1 container)
    * (2) cans tuna

refridgerated items:
    * baggies of raw cauliflower
    * blueberries (1 container)
    * yogurt

I feel like I did really well, considering our camp is BIG on GOOD FOOD! It was very hard to resist some things (milkshakes, root beer floats, cake, macaroni and cheese).

For breakfast:
    I had yogurt and blueberries/they had biscuits & gravy, eggs, belgium waffles.

for lunch:
    v8 fusion, cauliflower, sandwich meat, lite bread, veggies
    or
    salad, applesauce, cherry tomatoes

snacks:
    LA lites, raisins, dried fruit, applesauce

Supper:
    I usually ate the provided meat (hamburger, chicken, spaghetti with meatballs) and added my veggies and fruit

I am still behind in my goal (week 8 and I've only lost 10 lbs), but at least I'm not gaining.
  • Way to go, April! A little (or in some cases a lot) of planning goes a long way!
  • Nice Job!!! Hey question for ya can we have the V-8 Fusions??? I had asked when they first came out and my COD said NO. Just wondered if that had changed since i was away from the COD for a few months. Im thinking that they might be holding out on me lol.
  • Quote: Nice Job!!! Hey question for ya can we have the V-8 Fusions??? I had asked when they first came out and my COD said NO. Just wondered if that had changed since i was away from the COD for a few months. Im thinking that they might be holding out on me lol.
    well, b/f I left for Camp, one of the counselors suggested to me that I take v8 (regular) and v8 fusions. She said the fusion counted as 1v, 1f - which is actually on the bottle of v8 fusion. But then afterward another counselor said she "would check with the center dietian" on the fusion. So I don't know! That's what sucks about counselors, they all tell you something different!
  • Amen to that April lol let me know what you find out...
  • April just wanted to let you know that my COD said today that V-8 Fusion (8oz) is 2V and 1F and V-8 Splash (8oz) is 1F
  • Quote: April just wanted to let you know that my COD said today that V-8 Fusion (8oz) is 2V and 1F and V-8 Splash (8oz) is 1F

awesome, thanks so much!