Two questions re: TO and dairy

• Hi all,

I signed up here a few months ago when I started LAWL. I lost 7 lbs the first week and have been struggling to lose even 1 lb ever since. Now I'm stuck about 5-6 lbs from my goal and I'm going to do my first TO since starting the program. I haven't even been into my center for about 3 weeks (they're all such dorks) and I don't want to call them with questions. I know you all are the experts (godesses) here and it's obvious you know more than my "counselors."

Question 1: Take Off
    I bought the Knudsen's Morning Blend. I drink 16 oz each day, correct? Plus 2 lites, 6 oz protein, unlimited green veggies? Can I eat 6 oz of tuna on TO? Also, the Knudsen's doesn't list any fiber on its label. I know that the LAWL juice has a bunch of fiber. Does that make a difference?

Question 2: Dairy
    My SIL is following my plan (gold w/lites), except she's doing no lites, so she's following purple w/o lites. The problem is that she doesn't do dairy products at all, and she rarely eats animal protein. Do any of you know what to add instead of the dairy? I don't know if the portions are based solely on calories/fat - if so, should she add something with 80 calories, like skim milk, or 135 calories, like lowfat cheese? She gets plenty of calcium from the rest of her diet, so that's not really an issue for her.

I've been lurking for months, but I don't really have much time to post. I love to read the main monthly thread, but there's no way I can keep up with all of the personal conversations that go on. Let me just say that I think you all are wonderful for the way that you support each other, and I find a lot of help in that support.
  • Christine- Yes, you are right about how to do TO. I would not substite anything else for the fiber. I actually don't think that there is much of a difference. As far as the dairy, she would be much better off to eat it. It is not the just the calcium, but a combination of vitamins and minerals in dairy that the body really needs. Is she lactose intolerant, or just not a dairy fan? I don't like milk, but I do adore cheese, so I stick with my daily cheese fix.

BTW, Jump in anytime. We love new faces!
  • I think she's not a dairy fan. She and my brother have some unusual ideas about foods. They avoid dairy, wheat, and animal products. But sometimes, like me, she eats really bad stuff, usually due to stress.

I think the main thing that LAWL has done for me is to make me realize what kind of garbage I'm putting in my body (i.e. Twinkies) and keep me accountable.

BTW, SIL would be posting herself, but her ancient computer keeps crashing whenever she tries to post here.
  • Oh, that is too bad. I hate computer products. Would she be willing to eat organic dairy, I wonder? What else is she doing for calcium?
  • Wow, very interesting article. I guess I don't see why she cannot sub 8 oz of soymilk or yogurt for her dairy. Looks okay to me.
  • Yeah, but I have hard time with soy. Tummy wise, and taste wise.
  • Apparently the main reason for her avoiding dairy is because she has psoriasis and dairy protein is really bad for her. She loves cheese, but can't eat it regularly because of the psoriasis.

I actually give my boys soy milk rather than regular because they all tend to have excema flare-ups and dairy makes it much worse. I feel like a hypocrite though, because I shudder at the thought of drinking soy milk. But since it's the only thing they've known for the past 3 years or more, I guess they're okay with it.

Meanwhile, I started TO this morning and haven't eaten anything yet. Is it really bad to "save" all my protein until dinnertime?

Side note: that juice is nasty right after you brush your teeth!
  • Aha, good to know about the juice! My son has to have soy milk too, and it totally grosses me out. He drinks the 8 th continent light chocolate, thanks to Mary's recomendation. He loves it, begs for it, and IMO, drinks way too much of it. I would not save all of your protein. You need to keep your metabolism going, plus if you get too hungry you are gonna feel like crap, and will be more likely to cheat. Good luck with TO!
  • I think you're off on the oz of Knudsen's-for the TO juice from the center it's 16 oz-but the Knudsens is 24 or 32 oz a day-cuz it's not concentrated. Some folks do 6 oz 4X a day and others do 8oz 4X/day . . . . . The calories fall just over or just under the TO juice this way.
  • Oh Juliemarie, you are right. I had forgotten that.
  • Oh wow, thanks for the correction on the juice! I'll make sure to drink twice as much as I had planned to.

My kids dring 8th Continent soy milk, too. I used to mix half regular with half chocolate (that's known as "special chocolate milk" in our family), but then I realized the lite chocolate was basically the same thing. Now they either drink that or the regular vanilla. None of my kids have a problem with weight - they're skinny - so I don't even usually do the light vanilla.

A little tuna goes a long way in a salad - I never realized that before. I'm feeling overfull from 3 oz tuna and a couple cups of lettuce. Such an improvement from before-LAWL when I could eat a huge plate of spaghetti and bread and then want some more. *Happy dance*
  • I am lactose intolerant and do not like soymilk. They put in multiple calls to the nuturionist when I started. Soy yougurt counts as a protein as does soy cheese. They added one fruit and one veggie to my plan to replace the dairy. I hope this helps.
  • Thanks everyone for the info!