Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #1  
redhead30

S/C/G: 215/210/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Diet Pills

I agree in most instances that I should avoid diet pills - however, in the ad for relacore it talks about how it can reduce your stress. I'm going through a very stressful time at work right now and I'm looking for any type of help possible. Anyone tried it - know anyone who's tried it? I read on some websites that people who've taken it really didn't lose any weight, but could tell a difference in the way they felt stress-wise.
redhead30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #2  
FBD/8-18-08

I'm sure I'm not going to be "Miss Popular" with this, but I just have to share my heart with you!

If your life is that stressful, before trying something that you know very little about and could possibly be damaging, please, PLEASE see your doctor or try a more "natural" (see below) stress reliever.

I have a friend that jumped on the Phen phen ban wagon when it first came out. He was one of the unlucky ones. He has suffered liver damage, was hospitalized for several weeks, almost died on two occassions. He's "fine" now except for the damage that can't be reversed. He lost weight, but at what cost?

Please forgive me if I've offended you in any way. It is not my intention to sound like your mother!

Lastly, there are other ways of "destressing". I used to take my 15 min. break in my car listening to soothing music just to be able to get through the rest of the day with a mean and hateful coworker. Then a friend of mine and I started walking during lunch and the outdoors and exercise really helped my attitude. I have a friend that dances for 10 minutes "like a lunatic" to get out her frustration and then goes on. When things get to much for me at home (I'm a SAH homeschooling mom), I pickup a book or a magazine or cookbook and "get away for a while". Please try to find time for yourself and something that brings peace to you physically, mentally, even spiritually.

And the last thing (and possibly most "fanatical" so you can stop reading here if you want to) is I pray. My personal time with the Lord prepares me for the day and helps me to be better prepared for whatever may come.
Okay, I'll say it again, if I offened you in any way, please, PLEASE, forgive me!

I really do care and the ladies here are a WONDERFUL support group. We all are here for you!
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #3  
redhead30

No offense taken. I appreciate your feedback. You are right and I have taken some steps like you recommended. The company I'm working for is going through a merger right now. So it's more mental stress than anything - stuff just weighing on my mind. I know I need to just give it to God, but it's kind of hard to do - I've been out of the habit...so used to controlling things myself. I think I've found a good church and I know I need to exercise more. It's just the day to day blahs and hating to come to work that I've got to get over.

Thanks so much - if it doesn't get better soon I may see the dr. just to see if there's anything they can do.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Redhead, I agree with Pearl. If your main goal is to reduce stress there are lots of little things you can do. The walk is a great idea! Some other things that have helped me are a joke-a-day calendar, to start the day with a smile; playing cd's of music I like (softly or with headphones); and taking a stress complex vitamin.

Relacore has been discussed in a different section here at 3 Fat Chicks called "Does it Work?" [URL="http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11"]

Good luck!
CafeAmericain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM   #5  
FBD/8-18-08

Redhead - oh my gosh! I went through 2 mergers and 1 takover in the 15 years of my banking career and each one was worse than the next! I can SO relate!
And just so you know, I'm a take charge, do it myself person too, but I need the peace I get spiritually to deal with the messes I create mentally and physically!

Hang in there! At least a merge is a temporary thing!
I thought of something else this afternoon while I was thinking about you... You could write down the ingredients in the product you're thinking about and ask a pharmacist about them. The only thing - they usually know very little about "natural" ingredients.
Hugs,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I'm not a LAWL girl, but I wanted to say my peice too . I agree that if you feel the need to take ANYTHING, consult with your doctor. He may agree or disagree or even give you something else, but at least you are doing it under a doctors care. Having said that, because your stress is situational rather than long term anxiety, etc, I would recommend more natural approaches.

For a little personal history....I am bipolar. I learned this last summer. Medicines doesn't do it all for me. I'm not telling you this to suggest that you have a mental illness in any form. I'm telling you this so you realize medicine won't cure anything. It can help, but it won't cure. I'm also giving you this history so I can share a little about what I've learned that works for me.

Sleep. I have sleep issues, but sleep is my number ONE restorative process. As a side benefit my scale notices when I sleep too. Not kidding there!!

Give yourself some personal time to yourself. This may not happen during work, but after work I need something. Some quiet time doing something I enjoy.

Transition Time: Because I have kids, I have to transition from work to school. I take ONE hour to do something else or chat with coworkers before I pick up my child. It works wonders. I call this transition time. I do the same thing when I soak in the tub for 30 min every morning and think about my day.

Do some stretches in the morning. Just like Yoga and other stretching excercises, it is relaxing.

I like shopping, going to a bookstore, listen to music (very occasional for me), read a book, etc.

Reprioritize your day. During a work day you may not be able to change focus or have the choice about how to prioritize your day, but if you do, be honest with yourself and prioritize differently on days when you are feeling overburdened. Then congratulate yourself when it is a go getter day.

Go for a walk during lunch. Those endorphins kick in.

STOP and breathe deep. Go to the bathroom and do this in privacy if you need it.

Talk to your doctor if you continue to need help. This includes before trying OTC stuff. It's just as potent.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #7  
redhead30

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. I guess the stress makes me a little desparate, but I'm feeling better now.

I hear you about the sleep thing!! Monday's are my best weigh in days because I've caught up on my rest over the weekend.