Old 03-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #1  
NASCAR Chick

S/C/G: 181/177.6/???/124

Height: 5'4"

Default Advice for Camping Needed

It sounds like we might go camping this weekend (I know it may sound strange, but we camp all year) - I need to start planning now so that I can get through the weekend OP. Generally, the meals are not the problem. The friends we go with have a motorhome and we have a trailer - we cook very similar to at home. The problem is generally the snacking that happens throughout the day. A weekend ususally consists of potato chips, sunflower seeds, etc. I can usually refrain from having snacks for a while, but usually end up giving in and have "just a taste". Unfortunately, this taste usually ends up being more. I find that I can easily use up all of my food selection with just my regular meals (3 main and 2-3 snacks) - I generally don't have much left over for snacks.

Potato chips are one of my biggest downfalls, but know that I can use the LA Snacks and be satisfied. I know we will spend a lot of time on the trails ATVing, so I will ensure to pack healthy snacks.

Any advice and tips you have on how to get through the weekend would be appreciated. I truly need a gameplan as to how I will resist the temptations. As camping is such a big part of my life I know that I need to get a handle on the eating NOW so that I can continue to reach my goals.

TIA,
Bobby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Hi Suzanne!

It does sound like you pretty much the mindset to stay OP. If you enjoy the LA Snacks, I would say to make sure you stock up on those for your trip, and try not to bring them out until everybody else is eating their chips.

You actually have an advantage with the trailer & motor home, and it will make it easier to pack healthier snacks. Cut up extra veggies, take some fruits. Pack extra water.

You can do it! If you happen to slip up a day, don't dwell on it and move on to try your best the next day to stay OP. (This is where the extra water will come in. If you go off, just drink a little extra to flush that salt out of your system.)

It's so much easier for me to say than do, since I haven't had any real challenges yet.

Good luck & enjoy your trip!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/163/145

I know exactly what you are facing as we are campers too. We are going to Charleston, SC over Easter and I am already planning what I will do. Hopefully the extra exercise of walking and being more active will offset the extra eating I will be doing as I have already planned to eat shrimp and grits. Other than that, I plan to stay OP. I think with cut up veggies and grilled chicken and my normal Fiber 1 cereal along with water, all will be fine.
Good luck and nice to meet a fellow camper!
Cheryl
chsgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I wanted to go camping this weekend, but I can't talk DH into it. Something about it being "too cold, are you crazy?" That is a big challenge, isn't it. I like to make clam dip with FF Sour cream. That would be good with veggies. My other thought, even though they do have some fat and salt, is pork rinds instead of chips. They would be great with dip or hot sauce, or alone, and you might be able to sub a few of them for your fat. I think that you can eat about 6 of them (and they are big) for about 50 calories. Be sure to pack plenty of fruit and fresh stuff, and you will be fine! Have a lot of fun. I will be thinking about you while I am not camping.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #5  

I'm a big gum chewer. i love the Wrigley's Extra : green apple and berry flavors. I crave chips a lot too....but i find the gum keeps me from having more. also, they have soy chips. i think the center would say they are not OP but i figure, if i needed something savory, I can have something that have protein and carbs. So I count one serving as 1 protein and 1 carb, it's like 13 chips or something.
mujiboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #6  
NASCAR Chick

I am really looking forward to camping - more for a stress release than anything. I generally do OK until I start feeling left out for not being able to eat the same things as everyone else.

I know that I do it to myself, but I just want to be 'normal'. I know in my head that I will never by 'normal' if I want to be a healthy weight, but my heart won't catch up. Does anyone else have thoughts like this or is it just me?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #7  

Bobby- I totally get you! I had to re-evaluate what "normal" is...I've told this story before on here, but my best friend, sister, and mom all weigh 115 lbs. dripping wet, and we're all almost the same height..ugh...but they have to count calories, too!

If they eat over 1500 or so a day, they all put on weight like crazy. But, they have 1/2 a burger to my whole one, a handful of fries, ditto. They have CONTROL. I don't yet, but we're all trying to get there (this forum is such a help).

I had the (wrong) impression that skinny/normal weight people can eat whatever they want all the time - NOT TRUE. They are in shape for a reason - esp. if they are over the age of 21!!!

Feel smart and virtuous not eating the unhealthy stuff. Get Katie to send you her piece on "picturing the fat cells" - I can't remember where it is! Picture your happy little arteries, and the great relief of not feeling guilty the next day - I try to do that. Isn't it nice not to beat yourself up after cheating?

Big Hug!

Ange
pinkflamingo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 PM   #8  
NASCAR Chick

Thanks for the support Ange. Control is key, isn't it? This is something I continuously need to work on. Food as fuel should be such an easy concept, but isn't for me. Food has been comfort for so long that I think it will take a while for the new lesson to sink in.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #9  

Baked pita chips toss with little morton's lite salt. Take a pita slice it up into triangles the size of Doritos. Spray a pan or cookie sheet with pam. Arrange. Sprinkle the salt. Throw it in the oven. Bake 'em until toasted. Stash in a baggie. Now throw in a tub of Athenos hummus, you're good to go for the potato chip quotient. Also good nacho style with a slice of melted cheese.

Or, if your feeling really industrious, make your own potato chips. It's easy. All you need is cooking spray and and a thin slicing utensil.

Then take baby carrots with fat free salad dressing.

Salt-oil free popcorn.

Apples

Cabob skewers, bag veggies like mushrooms, plums tomatoes, brocolli, cauliflower to roast over the fire -- can be marinated in fat free dressing like vinagrette or italian.

Of course your lites which, if you chop them up and toss with rasins and nuts, you can make a nifty trail mix out of.

Water

Sugarfree gum
arabianflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Here is what I plan to do this summer. There are 5 couples we go with almost every weekend. I plan to keep cut veggies and fruit very available. I am going to keep a bottle of water with me so I can sip on it, that will keep my hands and mouth busy. We also do pot luck at least one day each weekend. I will make sure what I bring is on plan and if the other stuff is way off plan I will have to bring somethng extra so I can stay op. Hopefully my friends we camp with will help by not offering me all the stuff I should not eat.
Tell your friends what you can eat I'm sure they will help you stay op.
lak_55119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 PM   #11  
NASCAR Chick

Wow Yasi, thanks for the great list. I will definitely try a few of those - especially the baked pitas with cheese. Yumm!

Laurie - My friends should be supportive, but aren't always. My girlfriend also needs to lose weight, but is very good with excuses (even better than me ). Her DH is generally the one who is more pushy with "you're camping, just enjoy it". I have asked my DH to support me, so hopefully he will chime in if needed.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Suzanne I hope the hubby is supportive. With mine I never know. The group we hang with are pretty big partiers. Sometimes I just go off with the dogs for a walk or hide inside with a good book. This year I'm not going out to drink in my pajamas. That will save me some starches.
Goodluck
lak_55119 is offline   Reply With Quote