3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Is maintenance worth looking forward to?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/79329-maintenance-worth-looking-forward.html)

wtxchick 03-19-2006 05:23 PM

Is maintenance worth looking forward to??

I'm sitting here planning my week and thinking about maintenance...;)

Can anyone tell me what it is like? Is it worth looking forward to? How is stabilization different than maintenance?

I've got so far to go...taking it 2 pounds at a time!:dizzy:

Andi

juliemarie 03-19-2006 05:24 PM

I don't know, but it sure seems that the weight that I will be at the clothing size I will be in at maintenence is worth looking forward to.

Boo'sMom 03-19-2006 05:33 PM

Hopefully Deets will enlighten us all more soon.

My in-laws also just started and they have been able to add quite a bit back into their diet--especially variety. I agree with Juliemarie--the lost weight and smaller clothes will be worth it all for me. Just walking in last week and buying 1 size smaller made me all giddy! I know that it will never be easy for me but I can only hope once it's gone I will be regimented enough to not let it creep back up. Probably part of the reason I signed on for one year of maintenance is to be accountable until it bocomes a lifestyle.

pinkflamingo68 03-19-2006 06:27 PM

WELL PUT, Marbear. I think that's a lesson we will all learn! We can't really go back, ever, to the way we used to eat. Or I can't, that's for sure. I ate like a college student...LOL

Ange

deetsmom 03-19-2006 09:53 PM

Emotionally it is tough. Stabilization was so hard for me that I havent really been doing it. Let me clarify...they add in portions each week, bringing in a new food group to "stabilize" your loss. My body started to gain and I couldnt handle this so Ive basically modified what stabilization is to me..and that is the Gold plan with anything extra that might be desired or needed due to true hunger on an as needed basis. I couldnt deal with GAINING cos they were telling me I HAVE to eat these extra portions even if I wasnt hungry- by the end of week 6 its A LOT of food!

The book they gave me at Maintennance start is amazing, it tells you how to adapt all of your old choices back into your program if you really want to. I personally do not. I like knowing those choices are there, but know whats a trigger for me and what isnt. Basically I am maintaining well the way I am going and have freedom to eat more/different things if I want to. Also on Maintennance, you get larger portions of things (like a whole english muffin counts as one starch instead of just half) and theres no such thing as a carb craver, etc.

BUT, maintennance is a nice feeling, all the work has paid off and I am pretty much where I want to be. I signed up for an intense ab class that my gym is offering, 13 weeks of 45 min ALL ABS work, very exciting since thats my problem area:)

rad7775 03-19-2006 10:39 PM

Deets:
I was waiting to see your post in this thread! Your post motivates me to go on and don't give up! I'm very happy that you are doing that well!:)

MtJulietdieter 03-20-2006 09:27 AM

I have been on maintainence for over a year and believe me it is not the end of the road, it is the beginning of another. I think of the diet phase as the warm up and maintainence is the real race. Yes, it is great to see all the food added back and the variety but strategy is critical at this time. I say strategy instead of moderation because moderation is a word I do not understand. If I did, I would not have gained weight in the first place. It is a great and very satisfying place to be in but please don't think you can eat everything you want or you will be very disappointed. Enjoy each meal and snack, remember exercise and ATTITUDE are critical!

deetsmom 03-20-2006 10:17 AM

MtJulietdieter...did you gain weight stabilizing and going into maintennance? I did and that really freaked me out. They kept telling me to eat all the foods even if I wasnt hungry and that the weight would come off...I didnt believe them. I find each week I fluctuate a pound or so, this being my highest day on Mondays despite sticking to the program. I havent tried adding in any of the new foods on maintennance cos I am scared to death of what it will do for me...

MtJulietdieter 03-20-2006 01:01 PM

I did the same thing you are doing. I was up and down all through stabilization and maintainence. I still follow the program plan. I have found that when I add in all the extra food I gain weight. I think it probably differs for everyone. I know my body and I know my food history - one bite of something not on my plan leads to a binge so I just avoid those foods. I'm pretty sure from reading the threads that most of the "chicks" writing in are actually Chicks - I think I am more of a Hen, so age also needs to be taken into consideration. Usually if you have a good counselor and you follow her advice you will do well. Just remember it is not license to go hog wild!

wtxchick 03-20-2006 01:43 PM

Okay, Deets, that is what I was looking for - a reason to stay the course.

You know, it's not about "going back to what I used to do." That isn't it. What I was looking for, and what Deetsmom provided, was motivation to follow the plan as it is written so when I get to the other side, maintenance will make sense.

MtJulietdieter - I hear ya! If I "understood" moderation, I wouldn't have needed LAWL! Thanks for the input!:)

Thanks!

andi