Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #16  
.. = ]

S/C/G: 165/ 165/ 120-130

i will try that.
and i will go for a run; maybe tomorrow, its a bit too dark now.

what is it all about?
kaiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It's a food tracking programme. I love it! You just put your foods in and it calculates your calories and nutrients for you. Sometimes I put my food in first, see what it's gonna look like, then change my dinner plans

I've got to go and do something besides sitting at this darned computer. You hang around there's lots of lovely folks here and lots to read. I'll maybe see you here tomorrow.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #18  

Height: 5'-2"

Kaiti, is that your picture!? It's so cute!
Great advice from the ladies here. And it sounds as though your mom is really supportive.
I think that cooking with her (and your sister?) is a great idea! You could even have theme nights (Mexican, French, etc) where you try different recipes together.
When I was a teenager, I ran a mile every night, and I was in great shape. If you run, stay safe, okay? Good luck, hon.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #19  
.. = ]

wow! thanks ladies!
gosh this is such a great place.
good ideas!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #20  
Addicted to potato salad!

Kaiti: I am on the Sugar Busters 'diet'. The reason I put it in quotes is because it's really not a diet, but a wonderful way of eating just really healthy foods. Whole Wheat, no white flour, white rice or white potatoes. Of course, no sugar. You have to read lables for, not only sugar and carb counts, but for the ingredients and stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's in EVERYTHING. Also the word 'enriched'. Sugar Busters has a book called Sugar Busters for Kids. I agree that you are at the mercy of what your mom makes for dinner, but you are in control at school and the evil vending machines. My daughter is 11 and in junior high and she's always getting a dollar from a friend and getting some Minute Maid juice....she says, 'but its juice!' and I say at 20 - 30 g's of sugar, she should go stick a straw in an orange!! Maybe your library has this book if you can't afford to buy it. It has great ideas for meals that you can make...sweet potatoe chips...pita bread chips...that sort of thing. Drink some tea if you like it...lots and lots of water. And, like Suzanne suggested...stay ACTIVE!

Good luck!! Kris
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Don't forget that at 15 you are still growing. Be very careful about "going on a diet". It's so easy to slip into the "food is the enemy" mentality. Once you jump on the "diet merry-go-round" it's hard to get off- go on a diet, go off and gain back everything you lost plus 5 pounds more, go on another diet...well you get the picture.

The idea is to make adjustments to what you are eating now so that they are permenant changes. Listen to the wonderful advice given to you so far, reduce the sugary stuff you eat and the processed/refined junk food. Increase veggies and fruits, stuff like that.

Oh, and Exercise is your friend.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #22  
.. = ]

wow ladies! thanks!
that sugar busters diet sounds good.

well today:
breakfast: nothing, i had no time = [
lunch: chef salad [ lettuce, cheese, ham, rach dressing, yeah i know not the healthiest] and chocolate milk = [
and i am not sure of dinner at the moment = [

bad day i guess.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #23  
Addicted to potato salad!

Kaiti: Be careful of not eating breakfast. I know...my daughter gets on the bus at 6:45 and I am full aware of how time gets away from you so early in the morning. BUT, grab an apple or something to eat at the bus stop or something. Also, don't forget to snack on healthy stuff...string cheese...triscuits...Whole Wheat snacks or some fruit...avoid the vending machine and keep something that won't spoil in your purse!

Reason being is that if you don't keep your tummy happy, it'll initiate 'Starvation Mode'...meaning, if your body thinks its being deprived, it'll start to store fat. I learned this from my Sugar Busters book AND from my own experiences.

PLUS, if you don't snack on healthy stuff, you'll do what I did one day at mcdonalds and buy your youngest son a mcflurry, fully intending to give it to him when you get home...and have it half gone before you're out of the parking lot. Getting hungry leads to bingeing and making bad choices...

You look adorable, by the way...don't go changin' too much!!! Just be healthy!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #24  
.. = ]

aww; thanks sweetie!
<3
Old 03-09-2006, 04:57 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

kaiti-

Welcome! I fully agree with Suzanne's advice, that rather than going on a diet and counting calories or every morsel that you eat-that you start with the small changes and see what happens over time. The key is for you to slowly develop healthier habits and become fitter and healthier over time.

I cannot stress how important it is to be active-to me, that is the first and foremost thing that you can start doing to be healthier. Being active can mean the things you are doing like dancing and going for walks-but it can also mean fun things like swimming with friends in the summer, and walking around the mall shopping. A few rounds around the mall-and you have walked quite a bit.

If it is important to you, mention to your mother that you would like her to keep some healthy snacks around the house-baby carrots, grapes, bananas, etc. Foods that are healthy, and easy to eat as an afternoon snack or a quick breakfast. I rush around in the mornings as well, and while some fruits don't travel well, others do-it is really easy to grab a handful of grapes or something like that as you run out the door.

Basically I agree with trying to stay away from the junk food. If you go to the mall or to fast food places with friends, for instance, rather than getting a frozen sweet coffee type drink like I see a lot of teens ordering (basically a milkshake with a dash of coffee in it) they usually have the nice glass bottled natural sodas there-and usually have diet...or you could get a bottled water.

In fast food places-you can choose more wisely in just about any of them any more-a Fruit/Walnut salad or regular salad at McDonalds is much better than the burgers and fries. Every now and then I realize that you HAVE to have burgers and fries-so in that instance, I suggest (and I do this too!) getting the kid's meal-because the portion sizes are much smaller. It is better to eat a "little" junk food now and then rather than eating a huge portion.

If you have any other questions or concerns, or need help with anything at all-just let me know.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #26  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Hey I'm also still in high school and I'm at about the same weight and height as you and I know where you're coming from. The difference is, however, that I'm 18 and you're not =P You've still got a lot more growing and developing than I do. I agree that you shouldn't necessarily diet, but rather try to eat healthier. My "diet" is very similar to the SugarBusters thing and I really recommend that. Keep up with the dancing/basketball-ing. Are you real far away from your school? If not, try walking or riding a bike. When I was 15/16 I wouldn't do that because I thought it was too geeky. Now I don't give a crap. I've got such bad senioritis, lol. Just make a few little changes and get more physical activity and you'll be good to go.

I know how hard it is to eat healthy when all your friends are eating junk! I found diet pop to be a good tool to keep my junk food cravings down when I'm surrounded by friends who are munching on fries, ice cream, and fried chicken. Good luck <3
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yes-I often sip on a diet soda or bottled water when those around me are eating junk. At the movies, for instance.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #28  
Breakfast Fiend

S/C/G: 164/154/140

I got Dr. Phil's son's book - ultimate weight solution for teens - I was a little too old for it, as an 18 year old in college, but I think it would be really effective for you.

You have a lot more control over the food in your house than you might think. When I was 15 and trying to lose weight, I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid of being embarassed during lunch, and didn't want my parents to talk me out of it. I think if I could have had my parents rooting for me, helping me by keeping junk out of the house and eating good stuff for dinner, I would have been much better off.

As for the emotional issues, at 15 I hated my body. I loved food too much to be anorexic, and couldn't stand throwing up to be bulimic. It's a good thing, too, because looking back... I had enough problems without having an eating disorder on top of it all!

Just know that any diet that claims to be easy and quick will not last, and that willpower alone will not see you through - if you're going to make changes, even small ones, be deliberate about them. Write them down, tell people you're not drinking pop anymore, or not eating fast food, or not eating after 8:00. I've had different friends tell me all three of those things, and I didn't think any less of them for it.

Am I done? I think so. I hope that made sense, and helped you out
ashliebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #29  
.. = ]

wowowowow
thanks girlsssssssss.

ps; i am way to far away from my school, so unfortunatly i cant walk = [