Old 03-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #136  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Barbara-

Sadly, I didn't lose any weight during the training before-I did lose a size or too that quickly came back afterwards! However-I didn't monitor what i ate at all-in fact, I used it as an excuse to eat whatever I want.

The marathon (and esp. the training)was the most rewarding experience I've ever had. I'm excited to see how much I've progressed and if I'm faster. It took me 10 hrs last time (and no I didn't stop except to pee one time). I was the last person across the finish line. My goal this year is to NOT finish last!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #137  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

And I'm sure your will reach your goal and you are eating much healthier now and sounds like your have learned to it better this time around. Good for you! Keep us posted on how you do.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #138  
Let's try this again . .

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I will keep you posted on the training-it's a long one-the marathon isn't until October.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #139  

Julie -- what marathon are you running? I ran the St. George, UT Marathon about a year and a half ago -- it truly is an amazing experience to cross that finish line. WTG, girlfriend!
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #140  
Let's try this again . .

I walking the Portland (Oregon) one in October.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #141  

Julie -- I think that is so great. Good for you. I had never done anything like that before. I got the book The Non-Marathoners Training Guide and it was so helpful. I ran it with my brother and he practically had to drag me across the finish line. I never have experienced so many emotions in one day -- joy, rage, exhaustion, happiness...it was definitely an amazing experience. I don't think I have the will power to try it again, so I think that's awesome for you!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #142  
PurpleSunshine

Julie - Wow you have alot of training - I would love to do a marathon -...I'm thinking about doing the Susan Komen race for the cure this year.
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #143  

Heather -- if you're going to do it, I would recommend using the book (see above). It basically tells you what to run each week to prepare yourself for it. It is a 16-week training period and they really walk you through all espects of the marathon (physical, mental, emotional) it was so good. If I can do it, anyone can! There is nothing like that feeling of crossing that finish line -- you should do it! And even better to benefit breast cancer --

Christie
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #144  
Let's try this again . .

Christie-

I have that book too! A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to run a marathon and I picked it off of amazon and it was amazing. However, at my weight, it just wasn't happening. I'd just given up on it when I received info about a women's marathon training group for walkers. i had no idea you could walk a marathon. It was perfect timing. And definately the way to go if running is too hard for you.

Heather-Race for the Cure is great, but here in Portland there are so many people that everyone ends up moving en masse and I hear it's difficult to get around (still a good cause though).
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #145  

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie
Barbara-

Weightloss isn't necessarily a linear thing-when you exercise-you create small tears in your muscle which then has to regenerate and fix and therefore create stronger and bigger muscles. Also-when you do aerobic exercise-you create lactic acid that builds up in the muscles and that has to be released. The more you exercise-the more your body becomes efficient at doing this.

So-that was a way oversimplified but (hopefully) a fairly accurate description of what's going on with your body. The takehome message is that you won't necessarily lose everyday, even when you're OP. Just stay with it and the scale will follow.

I've had the same problem-I tend to lose in chunks-5lbs one week, nothing for the next 2, then 3.5 lbs, nothing, etc. It's really annoying But it does come out in the wash-I'm staying at the 2lb/week mark.
That was an excellent explanation. You know, I am liking the program BUT it is VERY Gimmicky and TOO much empahsis on THE NUMBER. I would rather exercise and have the scale be up a pound or two than not be exercising, kwim? I hear the counselors ACTUALLY tell people to slow down the exercising. That is CRAZY!!! Also--they tried to tell me today that I can't have air popped popcorn because it was too high in sodium! WTF? I was like..."it's airpopped". Oh, well it's too many starches...but you can have OUR popcorn. Yeah, I thought so. Anyway--enough of my vent.

I went to w/i today. For my first full week OP, I lost........

9.4lbs! Holy Cow! BUT, i have had this wicked stomach bug...so I'm sure at least 2lbs of that is lost water...but still, it's a great motivator.

Repo-- I wanna come to the b'day party--it sounds fun!

TTYL!
Mom2Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #146  
Missing Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear
Then again, we haven't been able to do anything "romantic" during this m/c, so I'm sure he's blind by now
You are a crazy woman but, I'm sure it's probably true. You had better have his eyes checked.
LadyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #147  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

I am sitting here chowing on turkey chili becuase it is a gloomy, snowy, cold chili kind of day. I wish I was down with all you guys in 70's weather!!!

Mom2abby- I hope you and your little one are feeling better. HOLY COW on the loss. That's good, but a bad way to lose it huh?!

sznn- you'll be in the 140's in no time - you can do it!!!

Katie - That sounds like such a cool birthday party. I am sure everybody (including the ghosts ) will have a wonderful time!!

Deets - are those meal repl. shakes pretty filling? I have done the Slim Fast shakes and they only hold me over for about an hour.

Heather - those pics are adorable. It looks like she was having a good time.

Juliemarie- that is so cool about the marathon. I would do a walking one, but they never have anything like that around here.

Sheenie - Hopefully thing will get better with DH and his teacher. My BF's son had a teacher that was out to get him too. He made it through her class, but when he got to Jr. High, they made that teacher the principle. BF finally ended up having to pull him out and put him in a different school because it got so bad. It's so sad that some teachers have to be that way.

Mary- Men are so goofy. But it is so cool when they FINALLY notice. I guess they see the little changes everyday, so it takes a while for them to see a bigger change. Hopefully you can help him with that blindness issue very soon.

Last night we had a get together with the people that work with my husband. He told me 2 days ago that we were going to this restaraunt. I have only been there once and had a shrimp salad, so I thought cool, I can do this. On the way to the restaurant he said that we are eating in the banquet room and there are only 4 things to choose from. GREAT! One of the choices is steamed shrimp, so that is what I got. I did so good, shrimp, baked potato, salad, 1 glass of wine and I passed on the breadsticks and dinner rolls. So I stayed POP.
When I was getting ready, I put on 3 different dress shirts and 3 different pair of slacks and they all looked like bags on me. Yes, normally I would say that is a good NSV, but last night with DH standing there saying "Aren't you ready yet, we are going to be late" and the frustration of finding something that didn't hang on me I was kinda grumpy on the way to the dinner. Today, I guess I just have to dig out that box of clothes in the basement and see what fits now.

So ladies- Have a great day.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #148  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Debbie- Come and see me chickie!! I was out cleaning the yard in my T shirt. It felt sooooo good!!! Also, so glad to hear your clothes are getting loose, even if you did get grumpy!

Juliemarie and Christy- Marathons? Wow, wow, wow. That is so great. I would LOVE to set a goal like that, but my belly has to quit flopping around before I can run, LOL!!

Mom2abby- 9.4 lbs?! You ROCK chickie!!!! Good for you!

Heather- Cute pictures!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #149  
Karen

Hey, guys. Congrats on the losses. I have been extremely busy but trying to stay POP. My COD has had many changes and some people have quit. Instead of weighing in 3 times per week, I am going in twice. It was discouraging for me to go in and be up 2 tenths of a pound when I had been POP. I've got a trip to Boston in a week and a sales conference in Atlanta in 3 weeks. I want to lose at least 10 pounds this month so I really need to be perfect.
ksdiogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #150  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Karen- Sorry to hear that your center is changing so much. That can be hard to adjust to. Good luck with your 10 lb goal!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote