3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   I'm sick and need support! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/77505-im-sick-need-support.html)

hoodj0080 02-27-2006 10:20 PM

I'm sick and need support!

Hey chickies!
I'm getting over pink eye, a urinary tract infection (my first), and a yeast infection (also my first). Sorry for all the info, but I need opinions. I'm having to drink tons of cranberry juice for the UTI and I'm drinking real juice with sugar (I can't have artificial sweeteners). I'm eating pretty healthy, despite the fact I feel like total crap. I eat something horrible like a few cookies or a pb and j sandwich once or twice a day. The question is, am I horrible for doing that? I'm trying hard to lose the weight and it's working, but I feel like a loser because I feel so icky right now and I'm too tired to cook healthy stuff. I'm still drinking 60-80 ounces of water per day in addition to the cranberry juice. I eat an apple a day, along with lots of lean protein and spinach salads. I do mainly healthy snacks like low fat cheesesticks, veggies with salsa, fiber cereal. I guess I just want someone to tell me it's okay to eat some crappy stuff when you're sick and that I won't gain back the 15 pounds I've lost in a few days!

Less of Lena 02-27-2006 10:34 PM

Sweetie, you're SICK. Relax, get some rest, cut yourself some slack.

If you eat a cookie (or 3), so be it. A day or two of being off your program, whatever your program may be, won't completely derail everything you've done. Think of it this way: 15 pounds = 52,500 calories. You'd have to eat a whole BUNCH of cookies over the next day or two to gain it all back.

I hope no one takes offense to the "cut yourself some slack" advice. Perhaps some might say you should stick with program no matter what. It's just my personal opinion that when I'm sick, I try to take it easy. Anyway, it sounds like you're trying to stay semi-on-program anyway, so don't worry yourself over a cookie or pb&j.

Now, if you find yourself still hitting the cookie jar hard a week from now... well, then you need to have a good long talk with yourself. But if it's just a day or two, don't sweat it. You're SICK. Just get well, dear, and the cookies will sort themselves out.

hoodj0080 02-27-2006 10:35 PM

Thanks Lena! I think I just needed to hear it from someone else. You rock!

jrnyc 02-27-2006 10:35 PM

Don't despair

I just got got over being sick for a week and off my diet. Just like you I had juice and pbj sandwiches. I also had tea with honey. I did not eat much else, though. I gained 1-2 pounds (my scale is temperamental).

Now that I am feeling better, tonight at dinner I was back on track and will continue to follow South Beach diet.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Even if you gain a couple of pounds you can lose them again, for now concentrate on getting better. And if God forbid you have a UTI again maybe you can try cranberry pills and water, thus eliminating the juice calories.

Take care. :hug:

Rizeninme 02-28-2006 01:52 AM

Eat yogurt- make sure it has active cultures in it. Many women develop yeast infections when they are on antibiotics, and eating 2 yogurts a day will help- it will also help your yeast infection go away quicker as well. If you are antibiotics, you also don't need cranberry juice anymore- it's mostly useful in the first day or two when the pain is intense. Once the pain is gone, you don't need to drink the juice anymore- just water will be actually better. (trust me- if had both many times, and ouch! I'm sympathizing with you!)

I also agree with Lena- you are sick, and the last thing you need is to be stressed out about your diet. Take a few days to get better. Don't binge and go crazy, but if having a few comfort foods will make you feel better, do it! Just in moderation.

hoodj0080 02-28-2006 10:02 PM

Thanks guys! I'm having to go back to the doctor. i've been on meds for the pink eye and teh UTI and neither one is getting better! I did find the cranberry pills!

Tani 03-01-2006 11:37 AM

I highly recommend going to the drug store and getting some AZO standard. This is an over the counter bladder analgesic. It will turn your pee neon orange but will make you feel sooooo much better. This will not treat the infection, it just makes you feel like a normal human being while it's being treated with antibiotics. I just had a uti last month, my first in many years and it really really works. :)