Old 02-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #1  

Default Are calories just calories?

Here's a question for the chickies: I have pretty much eaten the same thing for breakfast and lunch my entire time on LAWL (I'm not bored with it -- just found what I like to eat and stuck with it). I have kashi go lean cereal w/ milk for breakfast, fruit for a snack, grilled chicken and salad w/ dressing for lunch, fruit and LA lite for snack, then something OP for dinner w/ my last fruit. I've had good success, but I'm wondering if varying the food plays any role in weight loss. Aren't calories just calories? Does your body adjust if you eat the same thing all the time? I've been at a plateau and tried shaking things up, but found that new food didn't fill me up the way my old stuff did. It's easy for me to stay OP eating the same b-fast and lunch...should I mix it up? Would that give me better results? What are all your thoughts?
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #2  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I was told my my center to try and mix things up. I was having toast with cream cheese and jelly, and some fruit for breakfast every morning. They said even if I did something different every other day, it would be better. Also, not the same protein too often.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Your body gets really good at metabolizing your food, and when you always eat the same thing, it takes your body less time to break it down, which uses less energy, which burns less fat. I would guess that the reason that new foods make you more hungry is that your body is using more energy to break them down, which is a good thing.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

your body needs different types of fuel to work more efficiently.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart
your body needs different types of fuel to work more efficiently.
nice, plan and to the point
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

I gotta share my fave breakfast to give you some new ideas-One of the mini-bagesl (thanks for whoever mentioned that here!) with 1 1/2 scrambled eggbeaters, 1 oz red fat sharp chedder (mixed in the eggs), Morton's. On the weekends I sometimes add a morningstar sausage patty.

w/o the sausage-1/2P, 1S, 1/2D

I eat it almost everyday . . . .so filling.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #7  

Thanks all for the advice, and thanks Julie for the breakfast recipe -- that sounds awesome. I need to hit the recipe thread and get some new ideas of things to eat. It's just so easy to stay with what I like, but I bet you're all right on getting better results.
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #8  
milkyway

S/C/G: 243/222/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiesta
Here's a question for the chickies: I have pretty much eaten the same thing for breakfast and lunch my entire time on LAWL (I'm not bored with it -- just found what I like to eat and stuck with it). I have kashi go lean cereal w/ milk for breakfast, fruit for a snack, grilled chicken and salad w/ dressing for lunch, fruit and LA lite for snack, then something OP for dinner w/ my last fruit. I've had good success, but I'm wondering if varying the food plays any role in weight loss. Aren't calories just calories? Does your body adjust if you eat the same thing all the time? I've been at a plateau and tried shaking things up, but found that new food didn't fill me up the way my old stuff did. It's easy for me to stay OP eating the same b-fast and lunch...should I mix it up? Would that give me better results? What are all your thoughts?
Hi:
When I started the program I was on the red plan and I got stuck on the same weight and no matter how good I was doing allways on the same weight for around 3 weeks ( is a lot for me considering the sacrifice). I heard from a friend that when you allways eat the same food your body get use to it and it was good to change the menus, that's what I did and it works. Now I am trying not to eat allways the same veggies, the same food and I found that changing the menus keeps me motivated..
Milca
rad7775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #9  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

Julie sounds good, but wouldn't it count as 2S in my book it says a 1/2 of mini bagel is 1S. If your adding the sausage would that count as another P. Being on the purple plan now I only have 2S & 2P, but always looking for new choices.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #10  

my gold book says that i can have a bagel (2 oz) for 1 starch
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #11  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

I wish

Mine says bagel, Lenders, small 1/2
*Bagel other 2oz or 1/2
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #12  
Let's try this again . .

The mini bagels are 100 calories-so 1 S. Sara lee makes them-they're really cute.

The morningstar patties are 150 calories each I think-so 1/2 P. If you add it to the egg sandwich it would be 1S, 1P 1/2 D.

The reg bagels (lenders or whatever) are usually about 120 calories for 1/2.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #13  
milkyway

S/C/G: 243/222/170

My book says the same as yours Gamababa, bagel, Lenders, small 1/2
*Bagel other 2oz or 1/2, but what other means?, other brand?, other flavor?
Milca
rad7775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #14  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

I bought a big bag of mini bagels at Costco - weighed them, and they are 2 oz each. I interpreted the plan to read other bagel not listed, weighing in at 2 oz= 1S. I have 1 two times a week or so, with laughing cow cheese.
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #15  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I was buying these whole grain bagels, Sarah Lee I think, that were not very big. They weighed exactly 2 oz on my scale, so I was eating a whole one. My center had a fit, said no way, only a half. I don't get it. If the book says 2 oz, and the bagel is 2 oz then why, oh why, can't I have it? A whole bagel was over 100 calories, however.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote