3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Hummus (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/74679-hummus.html)

loseitlaura 01-30-2006 02:10 PM

Hummus

Is hummus permitted on the Gold Plan? What would it be considered?

Repo girl 01-30-2006 02:31 PM

Yes, but I think that it has to be homemade, from dry beans. Here is what I do: Soak a 1 lb bag of garbanzo beans in a big bowl of water overnight. Rinse, cover with water, simmer for 2 hours or until really soft, place one cup of beans into the food processor, add a couple of cloves of garlic, tahini, lemon juice, pepper, Mortons, curry powder, or whatever you like, blend for several minutes. This is one protein serving. I like to eat it with baked pita chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, ect. I froze the rest of mine in one cup servings. It made five one cup bags. Pretty cheap protein, $1.59=6 servings.

Chklithunder 01-30-2006 02:35 PM

Katie - you are an awesome source of information and inspiration. I LOVE hummus but have been staying away from it b/c I had no idea how to make it.

loseitlaura 01-30-2006 02:40 PM

Oh...OK, so it would be a protein?

mrsbeanie 01-30-2006 02:40 PM

Chklit ! You Made your mini Goal!! Congrats!! :woo: :cb: :woo: :cb:
Miss you!

Repo girl 01-30-2006 02:54 PM

Thanks Carmen!

I forgot to mention that you may have to add a little water to the the right consistency.

PURPLEPIRATE99 01-30-2006 02:56 PM

I've never tried Hummus - Sounds interesting though

baems04 01-30-2006 03:53 PM

I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center (:devil: )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
~D

Repo girl 01-30-2006 04:49 PM

Yeah, as long as it is homemade, what is the difference? Garbanzo beans are in the book as a vegeterian protein.

shennie_97 01-30-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baems04
I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center (:devil: )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
~D

Ive found that they often say no to things listed in the cookbook because they are asuming you mean from the store. I get hollered at all the time when they see tomato sauce in my journal until I say, the cookbook says ok.

textjewel 01-30-2006 05:06 PM

Isn't there a hummus recipe on the LAWL website? There used to be.

Gamababa3 01-30-2006 05:20 PM

Yes there is a recipe posted on their site, but it's made with chickpeas and some other stuff. I will post it in the recipe section.

sznn 01-30-2006 05:24 PM

Laura - I am on gold and in my book 1/3 c hummus = 1 starch.

I have used store bought hummus a few times as my starch.

hope that helps

-S

textjewel 01-30-2006 09:13 PM

Sznn - I think you're plan is different than mine - you're in Canada, right? Mine doesn't list hummus at all.

I've never tried tahini, but two tspoons is a fat. Hmmm, may have to look for it at the store.