Counting Calories VS. Eating Only When You're Hungry

• This is something I am mentally and physically struggling with. I have been trying to have faith that eating at least 1200 calories will help me lose weight, but why should I ever have to FORCE myself to eat? That is a little dangerous for me, for specific reasons. I would much rather drink water or green tea during those times when I might think I need to have more calories, but am just not hungry.

Does anyone else agree? I mean, I am eating alot more fiber/whole grains/veggies/etc. and those things are SUPPOSED to keep you feeling fuller longer. Isn't that a good thing?

P.S. I take vitamins, so I am still getting nutrients and things even if I don't hit 1200 calories....
  • If you are not hungry, have lots of energy and are fulfilling your nutrient requirements .... don't worry about it.
    Are you exercising?
  • Yes, I am, I try to get in at least 30 minutes a day on elliptical or else I will work out with my medicine ball and/or body ball.
  • I believe that if you are listening to your body, you'll know. You're probably just fine.
  • Well, I think it depends, really. How much below 1200 calories do you usually go, and how often does this occur?
    If it is happening often, then I recommend adding something to your day that is nutrient rich, but maybe a little higher calorie for a small portion, like a serving of almonds...
  • I agree with susan on the important question in this case is whether your exercising. In cutting calories too much u gotta exercise to keep ur metabolism up. Also if it is too dramatic a cut and u know that eventhough u are feeling okay if may be wise to only cut calories really low for a short period of time, maybe a few days to maybe two weeks and go back up then in a few days or weeks go back down (most would say wait a month or 4 weeks to go back down though). The imprtant thing is too make ur metabolism a fat burning machine and one that works well. This is why the above things need to be taken into consideration because u could be slowing down the machine and/or putting too little fuel that it may start feeding on your muscle. Seriously. I am not sure what ur weight is for ur height or anything else so the regular calories for weight loss for ur circumstances are unknown to me. I just looked over the post again and good thing u are working out. Also, remember u can add in protein shakes to ur diet too.
  • Maybe I'm too much of a newbie to say so... but I personally think 1200 cals is quite low if you want to lose weight AND you are exercising.

Surely you can find something to eat that's healthy and good for your body and somehow give yourself some good positive words that you are not FORCING yourself?
  • It's just really hard for me to eat something when a. i am not hungry and b. it's been 2 weeks now and I have not lost 1 pound!!!! There is no way I am going to make my halfway goal by St Patty's day like I had hoped. I am not going to quit, because I know I am healthy and that is most important, but I need to pray for more patience or something......
  • Well, I also think that exercise is key. I think it is of utmost importance to do more than one kind of exercise as well-cardio like walking, jogging, aerobics, dancing, etc. burns a lot of calories, and helps you to burn fat-BUT-strength training or resistance training, where you use traditional weights, or your own body weight (in power yoga, or Pilates) you are building muscle. Muscle burns more calories just existing than fat does, and muscle gives your body the shape that you want. You can diet all you want to, but only exercise will give you great abs, or a firm behind and legs.

If you are eating TOO little, and I don't mean by eating under 1200 calories every now and then-once a week on a busy day or something-but I mean eating under that on a regular basis, such as someone eating 900 calories a day all of the time because they are trying to lose FAST-you can actually slow your results. You can actually stop or stall your weight loss by doing this. Your body needs a certain amount of fuel to build muscle, actually, and by eating way too little, your body can actually lose muscle instead.

My recommendation if you want help, is to keep a food journal for a few days, and let me take a look. You might be fine, and on the other hand there might be some things in it that can be changed to help you get back on track with losing.
  • Thanks for your feedback.....

This weekend I did start trying something different in terms of my normal walking and elliptical sessions - I used an 8 lb medicine ball with my balance ball and MAN was that hard to keep my balance! I wasn't sure if I had made any impact, but the next day I could feel it in my abs and arms. So that gave me hope. I also went to Target and picked out a DVD called Balance Ball for Weight Loss, so I am going to try that this week.

Aphil - here is today's breakdown:

Breakfast - a bowl of Total with FF/skim milk, a multi-grain english muffin with RF peanut butter, and a banana.

MM Snack - I stick 2% mozzarella string cheese

Lunch - 1 piece of chicken breast stuffed with spinach and feta (leftovers from last night) and a side chef salad with light ranch dressing

Afternoon snack - bag of baby carrots

Not sure about dinner, but I usually eat light after I workout and drink lots of water.