LAWL Losers & Friends - September 05 - Page 10 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM   #136  

Hey Chickies!! I am back!! I've been very busy with wedding stuff, and other things going on. Today I start back to work, first day since back after my car Accident back in July, today is also my 26th Birthday!! I am so excited about starting work again. Today doesn't even really feel like it's my Birthday..my FI has to go out of town tonight for a funeral, and has to go back out of town tommorrow night, b/c he has to DJ a wedding in Boston...I hope we get a chance to spend time together... Have a good day chickies off for my first day of work at the new firm!
Irishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #137  

Happy Birthday Irish Girl !!!!
Julinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #138  

Carmen: Glad you found out what was causing your pain, and if your not satisfied with the results and your not getting better, please be a pain in the butt about it. It's your life. I've seen too many misdiagnosis. What did you find out with the followup tests?

Here's my dr's story. My oldest sister was tall (6 feet tall) and pretty big (very over weight). She started having problems with her breathing and was diagnosed with asthma (after many comments it was due to her weight). She would say, I've always been fat, that is not what this problem is. It guess it started with unexplained black eyes, blood in her eyes, etc. Still couldn't breath, and was diagnosed with asthma. She had an inhailer for a while, and things didn't get much better. This went on for a couple years. Well, she finally couldn't breath and was put in the hospital. They found fluid in her lungs. She has it drained and within a month or two, was back having the same procedure. She got so frustrated one of the last times she was in the hospital, they were going to release her, and she said she wasn't going anyplace until they found the reason why her lungs kept fulling up with fluid. She was going to Upstate Medical which is a learning/teaching hospital. She told them that it's their job to figure out what was wrong with her. Well, come to find out she had this rear thing called amyloydosis (not sure on spelling) which is not cancer of the blood, but similar. It's a protein in the blood that can affect different organs to the point of killing them. Her's affected her heart, the reason for the fluid build up was because her heart was not pumping right. Okay, what is the first thing they do at the doctor's, don't they always use their thethascope (again, spelling?). They did a bone marrow test, found she had that amyloyde protein in her blood which was the cause of her breathing problem. She make an appointment for her at the only place on the close to home (6 hours from here) at Boston Medical Center, and I took her, we spend a week there. She underwent many tests to find out that she was beyond help. One of the most consistant symptom of this illness is unexplained "raccoon eyes" (black eyes). She died several months later at 53 from heart failure. She could not have a heart transplant because they won't waste a good heart on someone who has other problems causing the heart to fail. I'm still sadden by it.

I guess is what I'm say, like many others. Doctor's are human beings, and they practice medicine, if you are still having problems - be bold enough to stick up for yourself to find the 'real' cause of your problems.

Good Luck!

Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #139  

Hey chicks!

Sore throat almost gone, but definately sinus-y. hate this congestion. . .

Someone asked about me getting around -- I decided a few years ago that if I continued to wait for someone to travel with - -I'd be 60 before I went anywhere - I owed it to myself to at least try one trip on my own. I loved it. My first trip was from DC to New Orleans, then across the Gulf (right thru Katrina's path), then up to Tallahassee, then back home -- I'd never seen the Gulf before. . .or sand that white. So I try to do it every summer, and find a place that I've never gone before. I don't think I'm quite ready to go overseas by myself, but I feel fine in the US.

Happy Birthday Irish! And good luck on your new job!

Regina - where is Ensenada?

About goal weights - Jenn, have you been 140 before? That's around my goal weight and I'm just over 5'4" -- you could make it there, but might find it hard to maintain?

Sy - thanks for sharing what happened with your DS. My DS is one of my best friends - I'd mourn her forever.

Star, how was class last night?

Carmen, what did the DR say?

Hi to all you other chicks!
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #140  

Default Hey Chicks.....

SY - Sorry to hear about your sisters illness and your loss. Thanks God for sisters like you...

Julie - Jazzercise last night was good. It starts at 6pm which is perfect, I just have time to get home change and go, then I'm home at 7pm (perfect time management) Anyhoo, last night was Body Sclupt. I must of posted the schedule on over at Exercise Yard, but Monay is Cardio Quick, Wed is Body Sculpt and Thrusday is the old dancy Jazzercise. So I'm really looking forward to tonight to see how much it's changed since the late 80's. I didn't get to go last Thrusday becuz we took DS out for birthday dinner. I will let you know tomorrow. No matter what - it will be better than me sitting on my butt watching tv....Also hope you completely better soon Julie! Oh and for your reacing goal reward, I am picturing you in a pimped Red Mustang, zipping across country with you hair blowing in the wind

Hi Irish and welcome back. Hey didn't you have to move or something? Maybe I'm mixed up? When is your wedding again? That reminds me, we have seen brides come and go on here.....are you in the Bridezilla stage yet

Regina - Thanks for missing me. We went up north for the long weekend and then I took Tuesday off too. We put a new ceiling in our place up there, both of my DS's and DH did all the work and I held the whip
hey I went to Catalina years ago with girlfriends. I don't know if it was the partying the night before but I got seasick all the way to the island. Once we got there and the sickness was gone it was way cool....anyhow sounds like a fun trip for you!

About goal weights, everyone is different and we all carry weight differently. We are each the best judge, I think we just have to trust our own decision.

Oh can't remember who ask, was it Regina? Anyhow Karen/Rusty is doing good, she is inbetween plans, working and enjoying the summer or what's left of it. She didn't suffer any effects of Katrina (BTW, I wish they would of named that one something different)

later girlfriends!
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #141  

I talked to the counselor about it today when I weighed in (down another .4 pounds!) and she said that I may have set my goal weight a bit too low. She said that she's 5'4" and tries to maintain 145. I wanted to point out that I didn't choose my goal--the person who signed me up suggested it. She also said that we'll wait and see how the weight loss goes for a while before changing my goal weight.

I haven't been 140 EVER. When I was a size 10, I weighed about 155 but I still had love handles and such... I guess I'll just continue to see how it goes.

I suppose at this point with my weight, 160 seems just as far off as 140. I'll concentrate on getting below 200 first!

Have a great day!
jmpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #142  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everybody.

Okay, I went to the DR. and they took more bloodwork, scans, xrays, etc. Saw a different DR as mine was on vacation. I had seen this DR once before, and was pleased with him then, so I didn't mind much (plus he's gorgeous). Anyhoo, he said that on the surface everything looked fine, but said apparently I was suffering from something that he's only seen in bronchitis patients until now... He said the pain in my chest, neck and arm is due to an inflammation inside my chest where my ribcage and chest wall touch. He said this condition (don't remember what it was) is likened to arthritis. I asked him what may have caused it, and he said usually it is the result of a chronic cough or labored breathing (which I had Sunday during the "episode"). He told me to take anti-inflammatory drugs for the next 2 weeks straight, to keep them in my system constantly and I would be okay. I asked him about how that might affect my stomach and he said to make sure I took them on a full stomach and that should help. So last night I bought some Aleve, took it, and woke up feeling SO MUCH BETTER! I plan to stay on it for the 2 weeks he told me to, and to take it easy. So that's that.

Sy - Thanks for the info about your DS. I know how it must have hurt you to lose her, especially when she could have been saved. Trust me, if I am not feeling better, I will not let them rest, cute or not!

Bre, Leah, Regina, and Mary - Thanks for your concern. I was OP all day yesterday, and was pleased to see that the DRs scale says I should be able to move my weight tracker again, but I think I'll wait to see what the COD scale has to say about that...
Irish - Happy B-Day. I hope you and your DFi can find some time together soon.

Karen - I'd read your book any day. Is there anything you have not conquered?

Star - How are you liking Jazzercise? I know its only been 2 classes, but are you noticing any changes in yourself due to the different exercise format?

Wrigley - The job market here is horrid! The want ads are paper thin. I hope your company is at least granting you and DH a fair severance package. What type of work do you all do?

Julie - I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope you're 100% again soon. About the gulf coast, you know, its funny, I was looking at the pics of Nawlins in the paper today and they were talking about what it would take to build it back up. But either way it goes it will never be the same. Its so sad to think of all that history...gone. What a shame. I had always wanted to go there but never made it. Guess I'll stick to my Anne Rice books.

Jenn - congrats on the loss. You're just shrinking right on away! I'm with you... Reaching Onederland will be suhWEET!
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #143  

Regina - Thanks for asking about Jazzercise. But with only two body sculpt classes under my belt, I have noticed no big results. The reason is that I exercise daily (not weekends) anyhow, cardio and weights so two 45 minute classes would not bring on any noticable change. Since the class is 8 weeks it is too soon for a final verdict...Carmen, I forgot - do you exercise?
Glad you found the answer to your illness (and the hot doctor) lol

Jenn - I think you are wise to reset your goal to onederland first, that will be an awesome goal in itself! Then you can worry about your final goal later....Like I always tell my mother - no need to worry for no reason.

later....

Last edited by Star; 09-08-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #144  

But, Star...I'm a mommy. Worrying is my skill, my thing, the one area in which I truely excel!

But, yes, I want to see 198 and go from there!
jmpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #145  
Britt/LAWL~Red

Default Long Time No See!!

Well chickies school has started for me and man am i gonna be busy this semester. I just now got caught up on the sept post. man have you chicks been chatty. I still havent been able to get my motivation back to getting on plan. So when i get back from lunch i have my free to live book sitting here on my desk and im gonna read over it again. I have to get back into my groove from when i first started the program. I can really tell i havent been drinking my water cause my lips have been so dry and i am thirsty all the time. I stopped and got a few things at the grocery yesterday but i plan on taking a inventory of what i have at the house and planning out my meals for next week this weekend and getting what i need. It basically boils down to me being lazy so i have promised myself that i will get back in the kitchen and actually cook even though my time seems to be limited in the evening. You know i have said before that I have to put me first. That is such a hard concept for me to follow through with even though i know i need too. So like fiona said baby steps. I am starting back with my water today. Get that back on track and watch what i eat over the weekend and plan out my meals for next week and I should be good to go. The only other thing is exercise i need to get back to that my treadmill has dust on it again! We cant have that now can we. I have also been considering joining LA Shapes. I know its a lot of money probably need to check into it again so i really need to think hard about it before i do it because my time is already spread really thin maybe right now i should just stick with the things i have at home.

Glad to see that everyone is feeling better those who were feeling bad, those who have lost great job, if you maintained way to go, if you gained like Sy said REFOCUS!!! and I will check back in this afternoon...

Britt
brittyboo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 PM   #146  
Missing Ohio

Default Prayer

Marbear - that's is why, when going for anything medically(or otherwise), I pray so the doctors and the staff know that I'm asking God to guide their hands, to enlighten their knowledge, and to keep me through it all.

Staceyd - My goal is 170 lbs. and I'm 5'8.25" tall. But, with the COD I'm on the books to get under 200 lbs. After that I will go it on my own to lose the remaining pounds.

I can't remember who referred to Flylady but, I am reading the book and slowly using some of the techniques. I may have this cluttered sty together by Christmas this year. Thank you to whoever referred to them.

later chickies, keep losing
LadyIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #147  

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpike
But, Star...I'm a mommy. Worrying is my skill, my thing, the one area in which I truely excel!

But, yes, I want to see 198 and go from there!

Jenn - I'm sorry, I didn't mean don't worry about your babies. I guess I was thinking more about my mom who worries about 'everything'. Your goal will come - you are doing great!

Hi Britt - Welcome back.. Sorry you are so busy, take it one step at a time. From your plan of action, it sounds like we are about it the same place. I somehow got my motivation mojo back this week. I know - that's nothing ya'll haven't heard before - blah-blah-blah......lol BUT now I'm thinking I could be to goal by Christmas - what a gift that would be....

Okay I'm off to read the link you left Mary.....

later...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #148  

Catalina sounds fun!!!! I want to go. Instead, I'll be going to The Auburn vs. MS state this weekend.
Regina, I have been 140, and don't laugh........it was only about 1 1/2 ago. Pittiful that I let myself gain all this weight, but I must admit. I've eaten terribly. I think I must have binged for a year on anything sweet. Maybe binge isn't the word, but I definitely slipped right back into my old ways, but this time I'm going to stick with it.

Y'all are right that everyone is different. I am 5' 6", and my mom said I looked thin at that weight, but I didn't feel too thin. I am well endowed in the chest area and they were a reasonable size at that weight. My clothes felt better, and I just felt better.
I definitely don't look gaunt at that weight, and it is attainable and reasonable if I eat healthily.
Leah AU mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #149  

Julie,
Your travels sound so fun! We go to the gulf every summer to either Orange Beach, AL or Destin, FL. It's only about 4 hrs. for us. OUr kiddos love, and of course we do too.
My 2 yr. old boy learned to swim with a live vest in the pool, so this was the first summer in 8 yrs., (since my oldest daughter was born) that I could sit by the pool without having to be in it all day.
Mary, you're funny!!! I remember the DEmerol drip!!!!!!!!!!!!
See y'all like.
Stick with it everyone.
As I heard, and am reminding myself........Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
HAve a great night.
My 6 yr. old daughter is having all of the girls (9 of them) in her class over this afternoon to watch the Muppets Wizard of Oz. There are 10 classes in each grade at our elementary school, so she only had 1 girl in her new class that was with her last year.
I'm sure they will be lots of giggling and squealing going on.
See you tomorrow.
Leah
Old 09-08-2005, 03:52 PM   #150  

See y'all like????????? I don't know what I was typing..
Later.
Leah