Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #121  

I know - it's a problem of mine, I think Karen called it 'distorted body image'
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #122  

Star - no one who can wear size 10's is huge. Trust me on this.
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:23 PM   #123  

Julie - I'm sorry and I shouldn't of said that - it was very dumb of me. I'm starting to believe for my age I'm okay.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'4"

don't be so selfish.. you get to share that problem with all of us.. we are so bombarded with images of bodies that are pretty much unreal. and since most women are overachievers, we set ourselves up for failure, because unless we have the big surgery, we probably aren't really going to look like life never happened to us... When we get a number or size in our heads, unless we get there, we don't see success. Shame on us..why can't we just be cavalier about our weight like guys?
debi d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #125  

WTG Debi - you are so right - we all share this problem of distorted body image -- I know I've been down to 8's in the past, and I will always think I can do better until I reach that again. And I really, really think that every woman in America wants to lose at least 5 pounds. No Matter What She Weighs.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #126  

Thank you chicks - I feel much better now. Now when I take GB Dave swimming at the pool tonight I will feel like one HOT grandma......I will take a stick to beat those gawking males away.......

Last edited by Star; 08-03-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #127  
Norissa on LAWL

Height: 5'3

There you go Star !! Thats the way to think !!!
Mom_of_3_Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #128  
266.7/186.8/145

Sorry, the bat signal was down, so I was unable to respond until now. Actually, it has been work that has kept me occupied as of late. I got a raise, which means tons more responsibility. Then on top of it I had another piece posted at The Noyse, so I have been trying to work that angle hard lately. It's called 'The White Knight' if any of you so choose to go take a look at their editorial section again (shameless plug, I know).

I have been OP, and only missed my July goal by 1.6 lbs! I am finally into the 180's, even if it is only at 189.8 - I will take it!! I had to go and buy new jeans this past week, and I went into The Gap and bought two pairs of 16's, and they were great. Wore one pair out on Friday night, when my friend Liza came up and told me that it might be time to look into new jeans because the pair I had on was rather baggy in the rear! I got home and realized that I could in fact slide them off without undoing them

Lucky enough for me, Miss Broke City USA, The Gap has a 14 day wash and wear policy, so I was able to take both pair back and exchange them for 14s. Let me just say that I haven't been in a size 14 since I was in High School! Of course, they are strech 14s....but 14s none the less. So it was a rather happy experience.

I haven't had the time to catch up on all the posts, so I will just say welcome to all the newbies, congrats to all the 'losers', and send strong thoughts to everyone struggling. I know I have said it before, but this is a journey and we all have our good days and bad ones - but we all have the power to do this.

Now comes to the downer side of my post....

Welcome back to the General Starbucks Hour. When we last left our program, the heroine - which would be me (a stretch I know, but lets just go with it for the sake of argument) - was pondering the meaning of life, or rather yet, the meaning of the flirtatious comments being sent her way by a certain coffee slinger.

If you will recall, I do believe that I waxed on philosophically about how you shouldn't pass up opportunities when you have the shot, and I couldn't have been more correct. In the direct week that followed that fateful night, where I knew that I should have spoken up, CG rather unexpectedly resigned his pretigious position as University Place's most favored barista. Believing that we didn't have any particular friends in common, I had no insight into his motives for making such a rash move, so I felt pretty much as if I had lost something, unable to put my finger on it.

Then one evening as I was working on another project at SB's, one of my other favored employees came out to share her break with me. I asked her what was wrong and she said that work wasn't as fun anymore now that CG had left, that morale was at an all time low. I wasn't surprised, that guy has charisma in spades. I told her that maybe he would end up rethinking his decision and come back. That was when enlightenment was handed to me on a platter. "No, I don't see that happening, he's decided to pursue acting in NYC - I don't think SB is in his future, immediate or otherwise."

When the **** did barista's become so damn ambitious. In one fell swoop I found out that not only was he no longer going to be brightening up my daily break - but that he had in fact left the state? Talk about a downer. But I masked things and tried to move the conversation along some so as not to let the cat out of the bag. I asked her about the bbq that she was having the next week, which she had invited me to, and if there was anything that I could bring to help her out.

I don't know that it was the right decision to move the conversation that quickly, though, as she immediately switched topics onto me. She said that lately I hadn't had as much pizazz when I came in to see them and wanted to know what was wrong. I am actually softening this up, that girl was like a pit bull going after a bone. But it was still a rather nice feeling having someone be concerned. That night I did not share with her what was bothering me, but she didn't let up easily, so after several long phone calls, I finally spilled the beans.

I told her that I missed CG as well, and confessed that we had had a flirtation going on for the past several months, but that I had been too chicken to advance on it. I then went on to tell her that it was no big deal, but that I had learned a valuable lesson in taking your chances when they came. *insert innocuous, but suspisious pause here*

"Not to put any pressure on you, but CG will be at my bbq next Friday. You could take your chance then."

I believe it was at that particular point that I spewed diet Sobe across my kitchen floor and dropped the phone. Panic settled in as I tried to furiously figure out how to cover up the confession that I had just laid out, only because I thought that he had already left town. Immediately my mind raced with half a dozen excuses as to why I wouldn't be able to come to the bbq. As I started giving her the litanous list, she shot down each one and said that it was time for the heavy blackmail, and that if I didn't show up, she would then be forced to sell my secrets to the highest bidder. Dirty pool! Yet, oh so clever.

Needless to say I spent the next week agonizing over every single detail. What would I wear, how to do my hair, my makeup, my shoes for crying out loud! I am unsure if I have ever mentioned this before, but I wear flip flops. All the time. I own roughly 20 pairs of them. No matter which pair I wear, other than the color, the form doesn't really change much. How on this earth, one person can obsess over which pair of relatively the same shoe to wear, I will never be able to express. But I did it!

So Friday night comes, and I must say, that as far as psuedo-dates could go, I couldn't have asked for a better evening. It was filled with music, cards, good food, great friends, and even better company. Having that evening to spend time with someone that I never should have been worried about, was nothing if not a particularly perfect lesson in self awareness.

Travis is a great guy, and I wish now that I would have had the courage to ask him out, or at the very least express to him that I returned his interest - especially long before the eve of his departure. We talked, we laughed, we flirted - I even think that I was able to get out coherent sentences! Alas, the evening came to a close, and I was able to secure the hug from him that I had been obsessing over, as well as a small kiss that I would have been willing to go on with for the rest of the night .

He left on Saturday. I got his number, and promised that I would stay in touch, as I visit the Big Apple from time to time. The evening ended on a friendship note, due to his departure, and I was left with the full taste of irony on my tongue. What a waste, by my own hand. C'est la vie, tomorrow is yet another day.

So it is with great dismay and a hint of sadness that I sign off on this edition of the General Starbucks Hour as my last update . Now however will I entertain you ladies?

Last edited by rubyshoes; 08-03-2005 at 03:21 PM.
rubyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #129  

Height: 5' 4"

WB Ruby!

I thought we were going to have to report you missing

Sounds like you have been a busy girl....
Congratulations on the 180s and the 14s!

Congratulations on finally getting the nerve to get your man... Even though he moved on you. Hopefully, you can make something out of this new found relationship.

I am sure you will find a way to entertain us....

Is your other article on the Web?
MetalChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #130  

Ruby - so glad to hear from you!!! Sorry about barista boy, but coffee slingers come and go, and there are other fish in the caffeine sea, and I'm not nearly as clever a writer as you are so I'll stop now. But we gotta know - did you wear one of your catchy tees to the party??

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #131  

Ruby -- so sorry, but now you probably know why he never made the first move - HE knew he was going to be leaving . . .

I want to know about the t-shirt, too. . .

Star, BTW, I'm betting that they think DGB is yours - not your grandchild. ..

Julie
Old 08-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #132  
266.7/186.8/145

Karen - Not missing, just buried alive under mass amounts of paperwork I don't know that there will be much of a chance for developing any more than a distant friendship, but it will be nice to know another familiar face when I visit NYC.

Here is the link to my second piece at The Noyse:
http://www.thenoyse.com/editorials/white_knight.php

Fiona - You did just fine there, in fact I might steal your phrase 'caffeine sea' - I like it . Besides, I am not clever, I just fake it real well

Julie - WB to you as well. I am not sure why he never made the move. I think it was part knowing he was leaving, and part not sure I was interested. Either way, I still made a new friend, and learned a valuable lesson...lol.

As for my tshirt, I chose a new one I picked up from American Eagle Outfitters just two weeks ago. Its a lovely shade of forest green with contrasting shades of 'caution' yellow and grass green emblazing these advertisments: 'VERY KISSABLE' across the front and 'VERY HUGGABLE' across the back.

Worked like a charm And can still be found here if anyone is looking for a great conversation starter:

AE 'Kissable' Tee
rubyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #133  

Default ...

Ruby - So glad you came back (with or without the Java Boy)
Congrats on being down - you rock!

Julie - "Star, BTW, I'm betting that they think DGB is yours - not your grandchild. .." Is there any wonder why I missed you so much and
Old 08-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #134  

Height: 5' 4"

Ruby, great article. You made some excellent points.
And, great T-shirt choice!
MetalChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'4"

Ruby

glad to get the update, sorry the ending isn't more. Now you know you were right, you felt he was holding something back, and now we know what it was..

so, keep your eyes open, you never know what is around any corner in life... someone may be interested on the sidelines, waiting for you to be less distracted with CG.
debi d is offline   Reply With Quote