Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #181  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

I just saw this posted on another thread by eyereenah. Thought you might enjoy this...

Holiday Eating Tips

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. Like fine single-malt scotch, it's rare. In fact, it's even rarer than single-malt scotch. You can't find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-aholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano ou t of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of atten tion. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

Remember this motto to live by:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #182  

Hi chicks - just thought I'd check in and see what you all talked about today -

I didn't go to the center today, but still plan to try to go tomorrow.

This is one of the few days I didn't get in a dairy AND a fruit. And it's too late to eat. I just wasn't that hungry. I'll probably pay for it tomorrow and be ravenous.

Sammy, I was wondering what had happened with you! Don't worry, chickie, about anything. . . we are all so proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself! (But I wish you hadn't mentioned white chocolate covered oreos. I never knew such a thing existed. . .)

Karen, what gets you on the blue plan? What plans are it between? And, good golly, no lunch hour? That sounds unAmerican. And I think I want the STAR exercise plan, too . . How about it, Star - for someone who think she has energy, but doesn't move her b*tt too much? And no gym?

Diane, too bad that you won't get to see much family these holidays, but what a great thing for the sailors families - this will earn you points in Heaven.

Star, I hope you get a much deserved Christmas bonus. I'm guessing you must work for a small company, since you seem to do everything. . .

Let's see, vodka and cranberry juice. Definately sounds like something I might need to sample.

Sorry if I missed anyone. .

Hugs
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #183  

Default Happy Holidays!

To All My Chicky Friends:

May you all have a wonderful holiday!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hope everyone enjoys time with loved ones and a couple holiday sweets! Better get them in now because on the 2nd we're all back on track!

Love Ya Bunches,
Diane

Last edited by Bride2Be_Diane; 12-22-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Bride2Be_Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:50 AM   #184  

Default Morning Chicks..

:snf: Well, I just rolled into work. We have about 6 inches of snow and are suppose to get 12........oh joy But it will be nice for Christmas, wish I could share it with all you snow deprived chicks........
My Blazer was okay as long as I stayed in the tire tracks. I live out in the country and so it was pretty rough going for the first part. The guys at work two-wayed me and ask if I needed to be dug out. That was becuz last year I got stuck in my driveway so they came and got me

Julie, yes I work for a very small (8 guys) mold injection shop. We make things like the original mold for the Dodge Ram Emblem. Your right I do everything that has to do with paperwork, fun stuff and whatever I love my job, but the security of a bigger place would be nice. Meanwhile I have too much fun here to go and look anywhere else As for Christmas bonuses (sp?), we usually get nice ones, but we are suppose to pick up a big check today - that's called cutting it close, so I'm not sure yet.

Diane - Merry Christmas to you too! Okay I'll take your advice and enjoy all the goodies that go hand-in-hand with the holidays I'm with you and will be ready to go on January 3rd.....(can't include that last Sunday for sure, the 2nd).....Actually, I'm looking forward to getting everything under control again, I feel so evil eating all that good stuff that is soooooooooooooo bad

For you chicks that don't know this, Karen and I have known each other over a year now. We were on 6 Week Body Make Over together and met on that thread on Providia. We just really hit it off and on plan or off we have become good friends

Karen, I'm glad you have found your exercise stuff and are getting back with it Becausse you have seen it work before. I am more than glad to push you off that sofa

Julie, Okay no gym? What stuff do you have at home if any? I am a big fan currently of different exercise videos, they are fast and you dont need alot of room either..

Sy - I think it was you that mentioned your concern with not be able to exercise for four days Not too long ago (and I wish my memory was better) that I read if you exercise on a regular basis, you can miss up to like 2 weeks without suffering any major setbacks. That was great news for me becuz until then I always felt bad if I missed a day or two. Since then, I actually enjoy a day off here and there

Well, I'll check ya'll later - Hugs.......
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #185  
191.8/168.2/160

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed]Hey Chickies!

Long time, no talk. My work has been very hectic , but I am off until next Wednesday, so may be I can catch up and chat.

My weight loss is going now where,fast . I have been back on antibiotics for 2 weeks now trying to get rid of another sinus infection and strep throat. I've gained 3 pounds, but I also have to say I haven't been POP.

Now, I have broken out in red bumps all over my body. I don't know what the heck is going on,but out again today to go to the dr.

My counselor did put me on hold until next week to see if I can get my sickness over and back on track.

However, I will be snacking down some date nut balls and fudge at my MIL house tomorrow

Check in with ya later, I've missed all my buds.
Tams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:03 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!!!!

Just checking in...and wanted to respond to a few posts...hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season!!!!

~I would check and make sure of the reason...but the LAWL are probably leery of having people set goal weights under 125 because you would have half the women in there trying to set unattainable weight goals. I am 5'7" and I would be in the hospital if I were 115-120 pounds. But...in my opinion...they should allow it for those who are 5'2" and under in height...and go by their height and body frame as a personal case situation.

~There were a couple posts dealing with goal weights and the sizes that you are at them can differ with height. There was a comment about being 145 and being in 4's and 6's at that weight. Height not only is a factor here...but muscle/body fat ratio, body type, and your frame do as well. There Height is the obvious...the taller you are, the more you can carry healthfully on your body.

Frame is a big one most people don't think about though...I am just over average height at 5'7"...but I am small framed. I have narrow shoulders, very small wrists and hands, etc. (my ring finger is a 5 1/2...and I have to carefully watch any bracelet I wear-because often if I relax my hand and have my arm hanging at my side naturally-the bracelet will fall right off onto the floor!)

My sister in law is much shorter than I at 5'2"...but she is very "big boned." She has larger forearms, shoulders, wrists, neck, hands and fingers, and wide hipbones. These are the easiest indicators of being small, average, or large framed/boned. You can just as easily be short and "big boned" as you can be tall and "small boned." If you are small boned-you can weigh less healthfully than a larger boned person can, and vice versa.

~To the poster (I am sorry...I get bad with names with so many posts/posters all over the forum) who was frustrated with the scale staying the same-but the inches going down...DON'T BE!! You are having amazing results losing so many inches! Good for you!!! I know it can be hard with the counselor revolving everything around the scale-but I guarantee you that the scale WILL start to go down after a little while. You are increasing muscle and losing body fat...and right now it may seem like pound wise they are sort of "exchanging equally" but soon the scale will have no choice but to go down. It will...please keep up what you are doing. Your measurements are awesome!!
You can try thinking of it in a little bit of a different light...a more positive note to keep you motivated...the cute guy behind you at the store has no idea what your last weigh in was...but he is noticing your smaller waist/rear end!!! The scale weight may be visual to YOU...but actually being smaller is visual to EVERYONE ELSE. Keep up what you are doing...and the scale will also start to go down. Keep taking your measurements though...

~White chocolate covered Oreos/Crandberry & Vodka:
Cranberry and vodka is one of my favorite drinks...and I have not have those kind of Oreos in ages...but man are they GOOD. If you can...stay away from them...they are EVIL.

Have a good holiday weekend everyone!!!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #187  

Default It's a blizzard out there......

Tams - Hi, glad you came back to check in With the holidays several chicks have been MIA and I guess I just thought you all were out Christmas shopping or celebrating early About your weight gain, you couldn't of picked a better time......But it sounds like you have a real excuse (unlike me). Hope you are better by tomorrow, so hurry!

Aphil- Thanks for all the good insight about frame structure. I am the same as you in frame size, height and weight. Got any cool clothes your really tired of I also loved you outlook on the bad scale vs. muscle/fat and I know that is true from personal experience..... BUT, about the evil foods/drinks - All chicks need to be just alittle bad every once in a while Like the plate on my Blazer says "Good girls go to heaven, Bad girls go everywhere."

Hugs.............
Old 12-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yeah...my thing is with those Oreos...I can't eat just one if I start...so it is better for me to not even go near them! Now...the vodka and cranberry...I will allow myself that on special occasions...man is it good stuff.

I tried a "Cranberry martini" recently too...very good. They mix 1/2 cranberry juice, 1/2 rasberry Crystal Light...and then make the drink using that mixture with a shot of vodka in it. They do the ice thing in the strainer to cool it before they put it in a martini glass. EVIL I tell you-it is that good.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #189  

Aphil - Now that,the cranberry martini - is on my "want list" for Christmas......

About trigger foods - mine are:
Chocolate - Anything Chocolate
Ice Cream
Peanut Butter
Any type of Chocolate Cookie (does that fall under the first item?)
Old 12-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 205/153.8/140

Default Vacation is near....

Happy Holidays Chicks!!

I have been so crazy this week. I was down when I weighed in on Monday, but after going out the last 2 nights.. I am sure I have reversed some of that!! I am not weighing in again until next week. I have been getting into the holiday mood this week by drinking some spirits! My downfall is that I don't like vodka and the light colored alcohol that they say is less in calories and all that stuff. Nope, I am a Bourbon girl.. Makers Mark is my vice! Love that and ginger ale, yummy!! So that is what I have been drinking the past few nights! I leave this evening for Florida. Star, I will be thinking of you as I go for my run tomorrow afternoon in SHORTS!! (he he, I needed to rub it it a little bit!)

Aphil, you are so right about body vs. scale. Being a runner now, my body has drastically changed, but the scale did not budge for months! yes, I know I would rather have the cute man point out that my butt is so much smaller! As a matter of fact I was out last night with some people i have not seen since I started loosing, and they were so great to say much thinner I looked!

Tams~ I hope you are feeling better in no time!

Fiona~ How is DD doing?

Julie~ Enjoy the DC warmth today, I hear is is going to chill down again this weekend!

Karen~ 99 for a year of weight loss..how can I get that kind of deal? I thought I was doing good with the $3/week deal!

To all you other chicks.. have a Happy Holiday and enjoy the long weekend and days off if you have them! I will be back on Monday. I try to stay off the computer when I am at my parents. (it's my 'puter break to myself.. working on a computer all day means I deserve a break from it!)

I am going to try my best to stay away from Apron Grandma's goodies Star.. And I will be right back here on the 3rd POP with all you chicks!
Meegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #191  

Morning all - I've been so caught up in reading that I didn't realize I haven't posted yet!

DD's temp was up again last night, and she didn't want any dinner (!!!!!!!) so back to the doctor she went this morning - sure enough, she's got the "real" flu! I feel kinda bad sending her to daycare on Tuesday and Wednesday, but she seemed fine, even my daycare lady commented on it when I called to tell her Brianna wouldn't be there today, so oh well! Anyway, it's bedrest and Tylenol all day today, and probably Tylenol but not so much bed the rest of the weekend, if we can help it...we're going to have to play it by ear, I guess!

I'm working away here, today, in order to be prepared in case we do actually get set free at noon (traditionally we get a 1/2 day for Christmas Eve and a full day off for Christmas, but since Xmas is on Saturday we get all of Xmas Eve off...everyone here is hoping that we'll still get the extra 1/2 day. Fingers crossed!). So I suppose I should get back to it....!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #192  

Still here...grrrr! And our two decision-makers (the ones with the authority to send us home) are out at meetings until 2:30 and 3:30 respectively, so we are effectively stuck until one or both gets back. (One of the other message boards I frequent has a great "pouting" emoticon - the smiley head with arms crossed and a pouty face...I wish I had it now!)

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 PM   #193  

G'day chickies!

Okay, down .2 at the center today - not to terrible - maybe I would have done better if I had forced down that dairy and fruit yesterday???

Star - I have a stair stepper, not a motorized one, but one that only moves with my own power. I used to use it with music tapes at various speeds, and did get up to over 30 minutes. I also have an exercise bike, which I don't like very much, but have used on occaision. (I probably should get rid of it and get something else - like an elliptical). I have several tapes - Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, even the perpetually perky Denise Austin. I also have 3 & 5 pound hand weights. I think I just need a routine and accountablity!

Also, BTW, my own experience is that working for a large company is more secure, but more limiting in the amount of different types of work you can do. (I think you'd be bored, in other words.) And I hope you get that much deserved bonus check (I'm also guessing that you don't cut the checks. .)

Fiona - hope your DD is much better soon!

Meegs - enjoy the warm weather! Several years ago I was in Florida around Thanksgiving time - it was about 75 degrees, and I kept on thinking the sun was setting too early! It was like late April or May.

Tams - hope you feel better soon! I think you need some self pampering. . I'm glad that you have some time for yourself. We;ll be around whenever you can check in.

Aphil, thanks again for chiming in. . . It was me who said I was in 4s and 6s at 140 - actually, I'm confused as to what size frame I have - my wrists are very small, and I'm pretty narrow above the waist. I have the same problem with bracelets - usually I don't unclasp them. I think it's just that since I've been overweight most of my life that somehow my bones are denser. But it is so true that the 'man on the street' has no idea of our personal weight loss journeys . . . and we never know who we will impress.

Also, I am a crystal light fan. I stock up on it every time it's on sale. I never thought about mixing it with alcohol -- I'm thinking the lemonade vlavor with bourbon (I'm with you, Meegs - much more bourbon and something - coke, gingerale . . .)

I set my LAWL goal at 145, since I figured I could maintain it! If I drop slowly during maintenance then, that will be wonderful.

Triggers- it used to be ice cream. But now I think it must be icecream and cake. Because I have successfully limited myself to 1/2 cup of icecream a few times since we started the new program. Other triggers - now, I think it might be salty things, since I'm getting SO deprived!!! Don't get me wrong, I like chocolate, but I hardly ever by it, or even eat more than one piece. Weird, I know. Now - if I can just find someone to buy those oreos so I can have just one. . or two. Also, I have a sincere affection for Pillsbury frosting. Right from the can.

Have fun, chickies! I'll check in tomorrow . . (after the Popeye's fried chicken (just one breast, I swear and a biscuit

Julie
Old 12-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #194  

Julie -
Wow your down so close to the holiday - you are my idol..........I feel alittle green coming on.....lol
Still no word on the bonus and I do the checks so it's not looking too good.
So Julie, you use to workout and then just quit? All you have to do is start out slow, with your stair stepper - say 10 to 15 minutes, do that for a week and then add something else on. I have a recumbent bike and I love it becuz of the back support. heck I could ride that thing for hours. I forget how long it is but a habit doesn't take very long to develope. Lately, I have really been mixing my workout up - it is way more fun that way......karen has a bike, ab tape and bun and thigh machine, so in three weeks she will be doing all three, not all everyday, but alternating days. Cardio really helps burn calories, not that I'm proof of that right now, but honest it does.

Oh - I won't be working tomorrow -be back next week...

Have a Great Christmas and HUGS to all my chicks.........
Old 12-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #195  

Okay, Star, stair stepper starting at 10 to 15 minutes for a week, and then I'll report back to you. Hopefully that'll help the scale move a little faster (after the 1st of course). . .

And Star, you've come so far, I'm green eyed. . .

Have fun!