Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #16  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

JM and others...One of my biggest struggles is to not make food the focus of my life...but to find things that make me as happy as food/drink! It's not easy and I do feel a bit deprived, but I decided that I was tired of hurting and aching and blaming food and weight on all my probelms....and it's not forever; just until I can lose at least 15% of my starting high weight. Then I'll reassess. Right now I'm (1) avoiding non-critical dates with friends that involve food (e.g., instead of taking my stepdaughter to lunch or dinner we went for a mani/pedi...same price, less calories! (2) turning down some invites that are all about food and drink and calling an active friend and going for a walk (3) eating a somewhat limited variety of foods so I don't give myself a ton of choices...it's easier for me to track in my head this way...when I tell myself I will write and journal it only seems to last a week or two.....and then I stress that I don't track and then I eat and then the cycle starts all over. (4) attempting to hit the treadmill 4-5 days a week.
I also drink a lot of water. I try to drink water when I think I'm hungry and since I'm really not satisfying that hunger with anything wonderful, I have found that I have less "I'm hungry" sessions with myself. I'm rarely really hungry...I'm just bored, sad, frustrated, overworked, etc.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #17  

Thanks.
I love looking at everyone's ticker, you folks are so motivating!

Here's a quick question for you. I'm going through my LA Express menu plan which lists the foods into categories and looking up calorie content for some of them. It seems that each section (Dairy, Starch, Protein, etc) is about an average of 100 calories - is that about right do you think?
MissMooLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

MissMoo,

Different plans have different serving sizes so it might be close for some plans. I do think that the numbered plans were looser on their definition of what constitues one starch (as well as giving you more of them). A fruit serving is normally closer to 50 calories, and I think at least that one is consistent. The old colored plans the protein sizes shrank as you dropped down plans. I started on Purple that allowed 8 oz of chicken for one protein serving and that is not anywhere near 100 calories. Gold plan dropped that down to 6 oz, which would still be higher than the 100 calories.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #19  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hi all!

MissMoo

JM -- Sounds like things are going well. Yes, I focus on food a little too much in my alone time too...well, and in my social time...lol. I'm working on it. I can still focus on food if I alter recipes and make them healthier after all.

Kim -- One time I 'pledged' the floors in a house I shared with 2 other girls because we were out of floor cleaner. It was completely unintentional, but when the 2nd one walked in an wiped out, just like the first, I lost it...it was awfully funny. However that was in my 20s -- our bones are more brittle now and it's not as entertaining, more dangerous! I hope you are feeling better now

Jillian -- Okay, I can see not giving up exercise, but sheesh, give the poor toe a rest and choose some yoga, pilates or swimming! Love your commitment. Which reminds me of this comparison between involvement and commitment that I've always loved: When trying to define the difference between involvement and commitment, think about a bacon and egg breakfast: The hen was involved while the pig was committed.

Joni - I love your plan for keeping yourself on track. I need to do something similar; I've been participating in way too many food-centric social events lately. I need to hole-up and prepare some healthy stuff.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #20  

Thanks for the info folks! And for the welcome too!

Joni - that's good thinking. I've been doing that too. On Friday nights a friend and I now go skating for an hour instead of going to sit at Starbucks and have calorie loaded drinks.
I love the Starbucks time so if I do go I have switched to peppermint tea. It isn't the same as the mocha but considering how much more calories that mocha is there isn't any way it is worth it just to drink one. I like peppermint tea just fine and am happy when I leave that I did well.

I find it hard around friends who are used to having food around our visits. I went to a friend's house the other day and planned on not eating, I wouldn't exactly call it "luck" but I actually was ill at her house to hey - I was sick but at least I didn't have to go through the whole cake/cookies and soda thing.
MissMooLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #21  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem311 View Post
kim--that totally sucks about the floor! (i'm assuming you slipped and fell?) and i take it you've seen the show Scrubs a time or two with your "brain trust" reference!
Yes, I fell - really, don't ever use Armor all on a floor! It is like a skating rink! I am actually really lucky that I didn't break my collarbone (I landed on my elbow).

Barbara - "naturally cheap and self indulgent" - love that!

Re-training the brain is a major struggle. I was talking with DH in the car last weekend about how food is my addiction. He doesn't have that problem, so it was hard for him to understand. I told him how I was watching Celebrity Rehab w Dr. Drew ( ) and how I realized that the things that those addicts were going through were the same as what I was going through - knowledge that the behavior is destructive, and doing it anyway. Unfortunately, you cannot completely cut food out of your life like you could for alcohol or drugs, so it is much harder to modify your behavior. I really don't want to spend my entire adult life trying to lose weight. I would rather make the switch in my brain
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #22  

Kim, Sorry about the fall. A gal at work landed on her forearm recently and broke her arm. She's still in a cast. So you are lucky you were not seriously injured.

I do think you can cut out most of the food that causes the addictive tendencies. I've never had a green bean binge... I can have boat loads of them in the house and never feel the urge to overeat. I do think I will have to be hugely careful with my trigger foods for binge type eating my whole life.

I was thinking about what JM said about the date with food... and thought that normally binging is a solitary activity, just you alone with the food. I don't tend to binge anymore, but mostly because my DH would comment on what happened to the cookies or whatever... he also is relatively focused on the foods that you would eat if you binged... So he doesn't have a problem with not having them in the house either, since he also can go overboard on the sweets.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 02-11-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #23  
It's mine for the taking

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY (tomorrow)
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #24  
Joan

S/C/G: 180/169/155

Height: 5"8

Wow this site is getting quiet again. I admit that I have been lurking but not taking the time to say hello.
My weight hasn't fluctuated much lately. I lost 5 pounds when I got sick and have only gained back two so that's cool!
My hubby and I went for a nice dinner last night so I have to admit that I didn't weigh in this morning. The good news is that I skipped dessert!
We are planning to go to our home in Huatulco in April so I am hoping to look good. My intentions were to get up early and exercise this week but man oh man, I am not a morning person so exercise has to wait for the evenings. I am hoping to wear my bikini in April, I figure anything goes in Mexico!!! haha
Well I hope everyone had a good Valentines day.
Have a great day everyone!

Joan
Hoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #25  
It's mine for the taking

Good morning everyone

I haven't moved much weight-wise since December so my Dr. put me back on phase 1 of my plan -- basically all lean meat and green veggies. I was terrified when he said it, but now that I think about it, it's not a big deal at all. All I'm giving up is my crispbread and the occasional low carb wrap/pita. No biggie compared to the rewards of sticking to plan.

Joan - Mexico sounds so good right now! We are expecting some spring-ish weather here by Friday (plus 8 and sunny) and I can't wait to get rid of some of this damn snow.

How is everyone doing? How is weight loss or maintenance going? I've been maintaining when I meant to be losing...

Last edited by Angie; 02-16-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #26  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

hey everyone. just been busy, so i haven't had a chance to stop by and say hi. seems like not many others have either...V-Day candy comas? haha..kidding!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #27  

Angie, I've been rather accidentally in maintenance mode lately too! I'm ready to buckle down and work on getting the scale to move. As 3 pounds in 3 months is not exactly burning down the scale... but I do know even at this rate I will eventually get there. Funny thing is that in the last week or so I've gotten a few comments about how much thinner I'm looking, so even though it is slow, there is progress...

Jillian, no candy coma on my part. I did have a few chocolate dipped strawberries. I worked out extra hard on Sunday to earn them too.

Joan, I'm thinking that some pilates might be just what is needed to feel bikini ready... I could use some core toning... I'll have to check the gym schedule and see if I can fit one in a few times a week. I would have to go to the tanning booth if I were going to go to Mexico, as I suspect the whiteness of my thighs might be blinding.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #28  
Joan

Barbara, you crack me up! Yes I think tanning will be in order soon. I usually go three weeks before vacation just to get a base.
Chocolate dipped strawberries sound good but right now at home, I have dried blueberries, mangoes and apricots and those are my sweet tooth snacks!
I have been drinking far more tea these days too which I like.
Anyways, gotta run.
Hair appointment tonight..yippee!!
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #29  
Joan

Where is everybody? Well its a long weekend...yippee. I am so glad that I get Monday off. I have lots of chores I want to get done at the house. On Sunday I am off to the Heritage Classic outdoor hockey game between Calgary and Montreal, it should be awesome!
I am on day three of feeling absolutely terrific about what I am eating and doing for myself. I have so many healthy options in the house for eating that its been pretty good. My sweet tooth is the hardest so instead of chocolate, its been dried fruit.
This morning I sitting and enjoying my nonfat earl grey tea latte, its delicious!
Gotta run, have an awesome weekend everyone.

Joan
Old 02-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #30  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hello everone. Still handing in there. Great to see all the posts, words of wisdom and inspiration from everyone.

I'm not doing to bad on the diet front since its Winter and I typically put on that layer of fat to protect myself from an impending snow storm. LOL

Great Rules Joni. Everyone needs to figure out what their trigger or weakness is and work with that. I find that I do better on keeping on track if I stick to the protein and veggies. WHen I throw some carbs in there its all down hill from there.

I have also discovered hot tea and for those of you who like flavored teas and crystal light, try this.... I fix my crystal light with hot water. Just wanted something different one day and wham... I like it better that way. Its almost like a dessert fix. I haven't tried any flavor that I didn't like.

Looking forward to the weekend. I have had a rough week at work and changes at home.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote