Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #46  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Jillian-yet another awesome cake! I love this-needless to say, I have a soft spot for monkeys! No matter what animal rights' activists may think!

I had a really good conversation in the mickey D's playland the other day with another mom who was a vegetarian and she asked me where I worked and she said "oh, we better not talk about that. I've been a member of PETA for a long time!"

We talked anyway (i don't mind differing views-just don't be an A#S about it)-I don't want animals used for medical research unless there is a real probable outcome of new drugs/therapy/etc that will benefit humans . . .

Anyway-at one point she said-"Even though I believe it's wrong, if something happened to my child and animal research might find a cure, I'd want it done."

So-yeah, there's the rub, huh? I have to hand it to her-at least she admitted it. It's amazing how different we think when it comes to our children.

BTW-I'm not trying to start a discussion on the right/wrong of animal research-don't want to offend anyone. Just thought it was an interesting conversation and testament to the things we will do for our kids.

Has being a parent changed the way you think about something that you believe(d) strongly in? Or make you do something you never thought you would do? I remember someone asking me what I would do with my kitties (my babies, then!) if Josie was allergic. I couldn't even make myself go there-now, however, as much as i love them-I would give them up if I had to.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #47  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i know what you mean, JM. the thing that i gave up almost a year ago was texting/talking while driving. i used to do it constantly..i was pro. but i realized that now that Julia is 7yrs old it's not setting a good example. and first and foremost, it's absolutely UNSAFE. and i was endangering my 3 kids each time i did it. so i stopped. and it irritates me to no end when i see others on their phones talking/texting while driving. (i do talk sometimes, but only if i'm on my bluetooth.) so that's one of the things that immediately pops into my head.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #48  
Let's try this again . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem311 View Post
i know what you mean, JM. the thing that i gave up almost a year ago was texting/talking while driving. i used to do it constantly..i was pro. but i realized that now that Julia is 7yrs old it's not setting a good example. and first and foremost, it's absolutely UNSAFE. and i was endangering my 3 kids each time i did it. so i stopped. and it irritates me to no end when i see others on their phones talking/texting while driving. (i do talk sometimes, but only if i'm on my bluetooth.) so that's one of the things that immediately pops into my head.
It's now illegal in Oregon to use cell phones with the hands-free devices which has made it much easier for me to give up-though I have a cheapie headset which gets tangled up constantly-I've answered it a couple of times ready to throw the thing on the floor if I see a cop! I've never tried texting while driving (i have a hard enough time with it as it is-I suck at texting!).

My SIL has a driving teen now-and boy would his head roll if he got caught using his phone while driving!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

JM, My DD already got a ticket for using the phone while driving here in Oregon. She says she was just silencing the phone while it was ringing but the officer just got all mean and yelled at her saying she was texting while driving. I believe her though.

Yeah, the animals are demoted to just animals when you have children in the house. Of course the kids grow up and the animals are promoted back up to being your sweeties. It is hard to get the image of those poor tortured monkeys out of your mind, the ones that they did the horrible psychological studies on in the past. I saw a documentary recently on Cocaine and they had pictures of monkeys who had been given the cocaine and were forced to pick between food and cocaine and they went with the drugs. Poor creatures. They already saw that people were easily addicted, did they really need to do that test? However I would not want to give my child or even my parent a drug that they had no idea whether or not it was likely to be safe. I guess it is a matter of likely outcomes. If you are pretty sure that it is going to constitute great suffering for the animal, why are they doing it. Then again if they already think it will likely be safe, then somehow I'm OK with them using the animal, even monkeys, to figure out that it really is as it seems.

We are just getting crazy excited about my DD college graduation this weekend. I've never thrown such a big party! Lots of logistics.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

Wendy ~ Welcome back! I just restarted also after having my 4th child, i'm very excited about losing again and this time around i'm taking it slow and am not in any rush. Hope you have lots of success!

Joan ~ Glad to hear that you are enjoying boot camp. I need to go to the farmers market one day too and get some fruits and veggies. Oh and btw I started writing everything down again last week and find that i'm doing soo much better, it kinda keeps me accountable also while I make sure i'm getting everything I need daily. Try it for a few days and see how it goes, cant hurt.

JM ~ not about the kids but I think i'm allergic to our pup, the day we got her is the day I conceived my DD so I always thought the allergies had to do with the new preg, LOL but maybe because I didnt want to accept that it was our Rosie. I told hubby that she's our pet for life though so if i'm allergic i'll take meds. I think if it was one of the kids allergic it would be different but thankfully they are all ok and they love her!

Barbara ~ wow a college graduate, how exciting! Hope the party is a success and everyone has a blast!
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #51  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelina View Post
HELP!!!!

Well.. maybe hello would be a better way to start out :-)

Hi, I'm Wendy. I used to hang out here a lot before life overwhelmed me and I had no time to breathe. I now have time to breathe, but I've also put on 20 of the lbs that I lost using LAWL - and I need to kick some arse and get back on track!
I recognize a few names yet here from back in the day - and I'm glad there are some familiar faces still here. Now I just need some motivation, and hopefully give some out as well. I knew this would be a good place to get some much needed support.

Happy Monday Everyone :-)
WENDY!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear from you!

Sorry about the 20 lbs, darn things - so easy to find, so hard to lose.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #52  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i'm in a whole new category for WL #'s!!!! 169 baby! so freakin' excited when i saw that on the scale today. i don't have any recollection of that number. we didn't have a scale at home when i was in high school, so i really had no clue how much i weighed. i started knowing how much i weighed as i was gaining weight after high school and getting married. in 2002 i was at what i thought would be my highest weight, 280lbs. i started weight watchers with my sister in october 2002, lost 20lbs and then got pregnant with my 1st DD. it was then that i reached my HIGHEST weight. 320lbs. pregnant or not, i was that big. i was huge. i have a picture of myself, in a maternity nightgown (which aren't flattering anyways, let alone at a size 3X) when i was about a week before giving birth. it's not pretty. i've been thinking about posting it on here just to show the "before"..but i haven't really taken an "after" picture yet either..so maybe when i do that, i will.

anyways, i guess i got on a little ramble there..sorry. anyhow, my point is..i've reached unfamiliar territory when it comes to the scale. which isn't the deciding factor of anything for me, but it's nice to see a good number!

it's my determination that is getting me to where i want to be. i realized that this morning when i was at the gym with baby X, she's been getting 3 molars in at once and quite the miserable monster. especially in the diaper department lately. she ended up having quite the nasty diaper while i was working out. so i took her back to the house (the gym is right down the hall from my apartment.) changed her and then put her right back in her stroller and went back to the gym. part of me was just going to say, screw it and just call it a day. but the other part of me said, no way am i going to let a 1yr old baby monster take my workout away from me. and i finished it.
my alarm is set for 545am. she's been getting up at 515am..
but even on the days when i decide in my head that i'm not going to workout that day, it seems pointless not to because i'm up that early anyways..i may as well be productive and get a workout in. so i do. and that's my drive kicking in. it's what's keeping me going and getting it done. that and i've developed an obsession with running. i've been craving it, it seems. so even if i don't "leap" out of bed, i get up, get to the gym and it's energizing. it makes me feel accomplished. especially since i'm a single (but married!) parent right now with all the responsibilities on my shoulders. i still do it. i make myself a priority. because i have to. i have to be at my best to take care of a 1yr old, 7yr old and soon to be 5yr old. plus, supporting my DH at the same time, on top of everything else that goes along with running a household while being solo. it's hard. but i'm proof that it's TOTALLY DOABLE! no excuses!!

ok, ramble over, i promise. i just wanted to share a bit of what's been in my head lately.

i hope everyone is having a good start to the week. i know my tuesday is going to be awesome regardless of anything else that happens today.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #53  
Let's try this again . .

Jillian-you rock! I wish a little bit of your brain would jump into my head for awhile-I'm having a lot of trouble and need to get some momentum going. But my resolve just crumbles as soon as I get hungry or stressed.

Congrats on your uncharted territory!!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #54  
Let's try this again . .

Debbie-I think I'm allergic to my cats-I've had allergy issues ever since we moved into our current place which has carpet and between dust, pollen, and cat dander-whew! I however, refuse to get rid of the cats just because of me.

Barbara-what rotten luck for your daughter-most cops are still giving warnings.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #55  

Jillian ~ You're awesome! Thanks for posting what you've been feeling, you're doing soo good and such an inspiration to all of us. Keep it up! Congrats!!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #56  

How is everyone doing this morning??

I'm doing good so far, kinda hungry so i'm going to make this quick and go grab some fruit.

Yesterday my mom told me that I couldnt get down to where I was before, i'm gonna love proving her wrong!! I wish she would have faith and me and be more supportive but whatever, for some reason since i've been trying to lose weight (the 1st time) she's been trying to compete and takes every opportunity to mention her weight which is lower than mine right now but I dont let it bother me, i'm happy for her that she's healthy.

Ladies dont let negative people get you down, take their negativity and use it as a driving force to make them EAT their words!

Ok off to go snack...

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #57  
Kim - IP 9/10

Congratulations, Jillian, with everything- the new decade on the sclae, the new wellness persona, and especially with just being an amazing individual, mom, and military wife. I have never ever ever been even remotely enamoured with running, but I have a lot of dreams where I am running (just to run, not in fear or anything) and it I am enjoying it. I often wonder if I kept at it, would I like it? Hmmmm..... Anyway - good for you.

On plan has been good - I feel good, but have yet to get on the sclae, which is a big deal for me, the obsessive sclae chick. I will probably check in a few days or so.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #58  

Jumping in without reading from the beginning of this thread. Just realized that WW is just not for me for the umpteenth time. Man, you would think I would have learned by now but it I have a hard head. LOL. Anyway, on my second day of TO and then on to the Red plan without Lites. According to my weight (gulp) I should be on Red 1 but since I am a senior and acknowledging that our metabolism slows down as we get older, I am going to bump one down one plan. Anyway, good to see all the familiar names on this page, I will catch up and read the rest of the posts later this week.

Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #59  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Quick check in to see how ya'll are doing. Jillian - loved your post and your commitment and your monkey cake and congrats on your 169 milestone! Nicole - Happy belated birthday. I will not attempt to upstage Julie M with her greeting mesage...heck, I don't think I've EVER changed a font size on my posts! Work is killing me, so busy and not time to play here. I am doing boot camp a few mornings a week and love it....Starts at 5:30 AM and it's an intense hour of unique workouts.....But, I wish I had Jillian's (and Nicole's) daily commitment. I go because I paid for the classes and it would be a waste of good money! Gotta go back to work!! Take care and hi to all!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #60  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi friends

Sorry I have been MIA..life has been a whirl wind here the last week or so. DH declared it my birthday week, and said that once we hit 40 (he is still 33...will be 34 on the 19th), we should get a whole week. My b-day itself was kind of rough....the kids have been horrid, the boys mostly, and I thought i was going to cry all day because of them. I survived though, and had a very nice evening.

I ate cake. It was freaking delicious! I did not gain any weight over the weekend, but have had a major slow down.

I walked around Creve Couer Lake today with my neighbor.....it is a trail that is 3.89 miles long. We did it in an hour. I felt fantastic.....except for my foot. I am super d duper pissed off about that. I got a number for a podiatrist today and will call tomorrow. I could barely walk all day....and I am still limping. So not good.

I had a lovely suprise on Friday night....my sis, mom, and two longtime girlfriends showed up on my doorstep at about midnight. They stayed for the entire weekend, and we painted the town. It was soo fun.

My kids start school on MONDAY....but who's counting the days? ME, YEP, ME! Woooofreakinghooooooo! We have had a good summer, and now I am over it. That's all I have to say about that.

Wendy! HI! Nice to see you, girlie Glad you are back, and I hope you are ready to kick some butt. I am happy to report that I have had a nice downward trend since the beginning of June. I am in the groove, and will get there. So glad you have come back to join in

It is still 90 degrees out, and it is 10:17 p.m. Wow.

Jillian....your cake is gorgeous Did your nephew love it? Congrats on making your new milestone. And wow, way to go on heading back to the gym today. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see your before and after pics You can always add a new after in a month or so when you have shrunk a bit more

anyway, just wanted to FINALLY thank everyone for the awesome birthday wishes I have been very blessed this year, and my friends have really been good to me. I even got Bozo's Grand Prize Game from one of my besties How awesome it that? And big hellos to everyone. I will try and check in a bit more often so I don't have to write a book. I haven't been on my computer much since my b-day, but after school starts, things might slow down again

Keep working hard ladies, even if you are just completing the class so you don't waste your money ((((JONI))))!
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote