Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #31  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Lady Windsong ~ WOOHOO for reading Chapter 3!!! And for changing your thought pattern in order to change your actions. You're right! Food might call out your name, but it can't make you eat it! I like your stance that this will be an adventure in finding and understanding yourself. It certainly has been for me, so far!

Maryblu ~ WOW-WEE!!!! 90+ pounds!!!! That's a hoopla-lot! and maintained for 7+ years... That's just incredible!!! Five pounds per month, steadily & consistently - that would be just fine with me... that's 60 pounds a year! And you are SO RIGHT that you get to a point where you don't want to feel stuffed. That is my main thing right now & I'm just in week 3 of doing BECK. I love not feeling stuffed - LOVE IT!!

ChinaMaine ~ YAY that you read your cards & made a plan. And YAY for exercising! (and it's ok to be "lazy" on a Saturday! ain't that why they made Saturdays in the first place? )

CeeJay -10 pounds!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Gardenerjoy ~ YAY for you for your "new low" and for eating OP and exercising and reading your Advantages/Responses!!

RobinW ~ Two more days to practice not stress eating is good! I have to practice that myself as well! - and PRACTICE is what makes us good!!!

Bill ~ BIG CREDITS for eating on plan yesterday and your walk/gym time!

for everybody!!!!

As for me...
Did NOT have spaghetti last night as planned... sometime around 3 or 4pm I realized I was NOT hungry AT ALL (usually am wanting a snack by then!) so I called Hubby & canceled the spaghetti. I knew there was no way I'd be hungry enough to eat it last night! - so .... (drum roll) I had soup (I'm diggin' on the soup & oatmeal right now, obviously!) again for dinner. And I didn't eat all of that, either.

Oatmeal this morning... out on the back deck, under the cool crispness of a blue-sky, it was so calm & serene. I ate slowly & I'm getting better & better at that!

Walked yesterday, walked today (Yay!) and it's almost 1pm, and I will have my healthy planned lunch in about 15 minutes.

Things are going very well for me this week! - Yippee!!!! On plan with food, and on plan with exercise! Still need to work on reading my response cards more often, because I feel myself getting cocky & just going with the flow, and I don't think that's helpful. SO... will try to read my response cards MORE OFTEN.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Just a cuppla quick thoughts

Onebyone, I don't see a downside, either. It is a credible program, so what if it costs money? So does poor health. Sometimes spending the money correlates to commitment. You GO, girl. And Happy BD!

Beach Patrol..I am roflmao at your "crisp" morning...try 30 degrees..now *that is CRISP! lol. 70 degrees? I won't see that until April if I am lucky! I second your love of good old-fashioned Campbell's tomato soup made with milk and the salsa is definitely a good idea, especially since I still have my friend's homemade stuff. Try the tomato soup made with milk with a jar of baby food carrots stirred in..yummy and filling..great comfort food.

If anyone really figures out how to limit a pasta serving, lemme know, though I gotta tellya, I can't even eat regular anymore..must have my Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta from of all places..Wallyworld!

Good work, all.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

It’s been one of those days where I’ve been running around like a chicken with my head cut off since the alarm went off this AM. I have managed to stay on plan, eating wise. And I think I’m just about done, so I will get a chance to get a run in before dinner. We’re having another beautiful day and I feel the need to enjoy this weather while it lasts!

Futurefitchick, kudos on prepping ahead of time and for having a good attitude about it. Yes it takes a little extra time to eat healthy, but it is worth it! Good job recording all of your food. Thanks for the 5lb sack of flour visual. I did that at the grocery store last night. It’s pretty significant.

Beach Patrol, sounds like a healthy food day. Yay for keeping a food diary. I find it helpful, not only because I see where I’m eating more than I thought I was, but also because I’m less likely to eat things I know I shouldn’t when I’m going to have to report them. It’s all about accountability! Kudos for walking and for realizing you weren’t hungry and changing plan accordingly.

Lady Windsong, looks like reading in Beck is going well. Mindful eating, it’s so simple and obvious, but something that doesn’t come naturally to most of us. But it sounds like you are off to a good start.

Maryblu, thanks for the encouraging words. I definitely see the benefit to the slow process. I have lost weight plenty of times, but it always involved a lot of deprivation. Once I was done with the diet, my body was so relieved I was feeding it again that I gained it all back. I agree that this is the way to go and I am feeling positive about losing for good.

ChinaMaine, it sounds like you are showing your MIL a wonderful time. Lobster 3 days in a row—my dh would be so jealous. Best of luck on the insomnia.

CeeJay, so sorry for the family crisis, but huge kudos for staying on track in spite of the chaos. If you can handle this situation, you can handle any situation. Two walks a day is a much better stress release than food anyways. Congrats on 10 lbs down!

Gardenerjoy, good job for ordering off of the light menu and extra kudos for enjoying it! I’m so glad restaurants have figured out that low calorie, low fat can be delicious.

RobinW, I hope the workshops are going well. I totally understand those nerves. I teach occasionally, when I can find enough students, and am always a wreck beforehand. Good luck on avoiding stress eating.

BillBE, good job avoiding the detour to look at leftover Halloween candy. I had a similar thought yesterday when I was at the grocery store and I saw the baskets of candy on sale. I had a momentary urge to look through it just to see what they had. It’s an odd thought, considering I’ve ignored all the candy leading up to Halloween. The potluck is always a tough situation, but it sounds like the damage was minimal.

Onebyone, happy birthday. It sounds like it could be a great program, particularly since you will have so much professional support. I second Maryblu's "So what if it costs money." You deserve the personal attention, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Take advantage of the dietician, personal trainer and the psychologist. Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Just a quick check-in tonight.

Hello to everyone and thanks for all your comments. I am loving this group.

Giving myself credit for another day of keeping my commitments- ate well and on plan, resisted the tarts on the table right in my face all day in a long (and very boring) meeting, and walked twice.

I found a quote I really liked that goes along with my journey to lose weight:

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." ~Japanese Proverb~

CeeJay
Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I overate my afternoon snack. Every part of me was just screaming "Just one more piece." And I gave in. Twice. In hindsight, I suspect that I should have interpreted that inner screaming to really be saying "a longer break, please."

I've always used food as a way to take a break. And I'm not really sure how to take a break without food. The scheduled eating with Beck helped me get away from that, but it wasn't so much that I learned other ways to take breaks -- I just stopped taking breaks except when they correspond to my scheduled eating.

So, still some work to be done on the concept of food as break and on experimenting to see how else breaks can be taken.

It came up now because I'm doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month is November -- a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in a month). It's obviously rather intensive and breaks are necessary, but I'm not good at taking breaks.

WI: no change in kg, Exercise: +37, 87/1300 minutes for November, Food: off, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

RobinW: good job on the workshop and this is a great way to look at things: 2 more days to practice not stress eating

LADY WINDSONG: that's a great first thought of the day: "I don't have to eat what I really don't want"

BillBlueEyes: Good job on getting the volume right and on seeing the opportunity to get things under control.

onebyone: I'm so glad that you're excited about working with this clinic. Great job on getting yourself there and working out something to make it go!

FutureFitChick: Good job on realizing the time factor and how it effects your behaviors. Credit for changing your eating habits a little at a time!

BeachPatrol: Great job on all the on plan things!

Shepherdess: Way to go staying on plan even while running around!

CeeJay: great job on avoiding meeting treats -- that's a hard one!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #36  
Mous

Talking hi

gardenerjoy even though you ate them, you realized what you could have done. Credit you. I love to write, what are you writing?

CeeJay we can always get back up!

Shepherdess gg and enjoy your run.

Beach Patrol woo hoo you are doing well and get those cards out.

FutureFitChick sitting is good. Make some activity time soon.

Bill, did you grab? NJ on your great day.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #37  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had lentils with tomatoes and kale over broccoli slaw for lunch both days this week; CREDIT moi. Just mentioning that to give myself credit for taking the time on Sunday to make a big batch - half of it frozen for a future week- since we wrote yesterday about taking the time to make our eating plan work. The kale was from our community garden; it's still growing strong.

While wrestling a difficult - as in I don't wanna be doing this - problem at work, I had this Urge for a snack. Was neat that I immediately recognized that I really just wanted to avoid an unpleasant task. I just kept going, but next time that happens I'll grab my notebook and walk briskly like a man on a mission down three flights of stairs, around a loop, and back to get the benefits of a vending machine run without the Hersey's Chocolate Bar with Almonds.

Walked after work; CREDIT moi.

maryblu - Yay for Whole Wheat pasta - wherever you have to go to buy it. LOL that you got tweaked to post "try 30 degrees..now *that is CRISP!" We haven't seen that yet.

onebyone - Happy Birthday. Read the site, I agree they do seem real, I didn't know such places existed. Yep, it's a bunch of money, and Yep, it costs less if you get the same results without spending it. But, if you're having trouble getting traction to get going, this will certainly provide that. And for staying on track for the 22 weeks, 3+ scheduled appointments a week should do that. I also don't see a downside, if you can see how to get the money before you start to avoid the awful choice of staying on your program or paying rent. And if you can see that you won't build resentment for the money spent. If that seems under control, then charge forward with full onebyone enthusiasm toward "fuzzy hope." I'll be here cheering.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay that you're underway writing your NaNoWriMo novel. Interesting that you're dealing with the need for a break from intensity, not from boredom. But still dealing with the need for a break without food. It's a new thought for me to consider scheduling a five minute walk break; gonna try it.

FutureFitChick - Neat to be reminded that the hard when using the Beck strategies isn't like a white-knuckling-hard, but a commit-the-time-to-do-this hard, so pithily stated by your, "time is a limiting reagent." Kudos for putting in your time.

And thanks also for the reminder that these old neurons change ever so slowly. It's such a wonder that they can remember faces after twenty years and remember to ride a bicycle after forever. So it shouldn't be such a surprise that they remember to take seconds, to buy sale candy after Halloween, and to head to a vending machine to avoid tension. So, a new Helpful Response: This isn't about wanting seconds, this is about remembering my past.

Beach Patrol - Yay for "soup & oatmeal" - when you're on a roll, keep on keeping on.

Shepherdess - Kudos for being an on plan "chicken" - busy is a great distraction from eating, LOL. And Kudos for actually going to pick up the five pound sack of flour; that's such a good encourager - I gotta go do that.

LADY WINDSONG - Neat strategy there, "working on turning a deaf ear" to food calling your name; gonna try that.

CeeJay - Kudos for resisting tarts, but Double Kudos for resisting them during a boring all day meeting. There should be a sensor that detects when more than half the attendees are more than 50% bored and give the speaker a mild shock, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6
Find a Diet Coach

Here's what your diet coach can do:
. . .

Build your self confidence. Your diet coach can help make sure that you give yourself credit on an ongoing basis. And when you slip and think, I can't do this anymore, your diet coach can help you get back on track and remind you of what you've learned to get to that point. Your diet coach can counteract your sense of helplessness.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 84.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #38  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm getting desperate so today, right after my gym session, I will sit down at the kitchen table with my 9:30 coffee and start reading The Book! After over 50 years of dieting, I need to learn some new stuff because the old mind-set is worn out.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #39  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

the way stress effects me never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday was a crash and burn day. I went to the shop in the morning and after 3 cups of coffee, hubs finally said "go home, go to bed" I could barely stay awake!! I went home and slept for 4 hours!

Back in bed early last night, and so far so good this morning

I suspect once I get more used to this it will be easier on my system one can only hope right?

Food was right on yesterday, exercise was walking back and forth to the shop.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #40  
Mous

You can choose. Isn't this a wonderful idea.
To chose.
You make the decision to do something or not.
You have to know that you are worth it.
You don't have to fear what you don't see.
It is inside you to let yourself go and to know that you will be okay.
Choose today to think differently.
Make it happen.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I got my run in yesterday evening, but forgot about the time change. I was admiring the beautiful sunset until it dawned on me that I was going to be running home in the dark. Luckily, there was that lovely harvest moon to light my path home.

Today we are preg testing the cows. I was prepared for a busy day in the corrals, but we have a ton of help and dh said he didn't need me to be there. I have plenty of other things to do, but I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed. As Maryblu can attest, working the livestock can be a lot of fun. I'm bringing the guys lunch, so I may just stick around and help whether they need me or not.

I made batch of brownies for their lunch, and of course, they smelled good in the oven. Brownies aren't on the plan for today. I just reminded myself that I'd rather have wine this evening. I did cut myself a small peice and put it in the freezer for sometime next week, so I'm not completely depriving myself.

CeeJay, good job avoiding tarts right in front of you. That's a tough thing to do. And kudos for getting your exercise. Thanks for the great proverb.

Gardenerjoy, good insight that you're snacking because you need a break. Writing is hard work, although not everyone realizes it. The South Dakota author Linda Hasselstrom writes that her rancher neighbors always ask her if she's got a real job yet. Have you tried taking a stretch break, a walk break or maybe just taking a few minutes for some deep breathing. Just some thoughts. Best of luck on your writing!

BillBE, your lentils sounds wonderful. My mom used to make good lentil soup. I haven't made it in a while, but you've got me thinking about making some. Kudos for taking the time to make it. I liked your idea for simulating a vending machine run. It gives you the mental break you need, and the bonus is you not only skip extra calories, but burn a few extra in the process.

Ruthxxx, kudos on getting to the gym and good for you for just sitting down and reading your book. There are always a million things that you can think of to do instead of starting on the book, but, at least in my case, procrastination is just my mind resisting change. Best of luck!

RobinW, sorry about the crash and burn, but kudos for you for getting the rest you need and good job choosing such a great husband who gives you the break you need. Big congrats on a good food day!

Lady Windsong, the idea of choice is so empowering. It's so easy to get bogged down in old habits and all those things you can't control. But when you focus instead on all the choices we can make, it becomes clear how much power we have over our own lives.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #42  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Onebyone ~ The only downside I see is the money - but if you can swing it, then go for it! And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Maryblu ~ 30 degrees? No thanks! I'm truly a southern girl! - when it's 30 degrees, I'm huddled under a blankie, with a blazin' fire going, and a cup of hot chocolate or tea or coffee. I'll keep my "crisp 60ish degrees" in the morning as long as mother nature complies!

Shepherdess ~ Ummmmm brownies! Congrats to you for choosing either wine OR brownie and not both! And nothing wrong with keeping a small piece so as to not deprive yourself. Deprivation is NEVER good!

I bet your run home under the harvest moon was divine! - I know it was beautiful shining on the lagoon in my back yard early this (crisp!) morning!

CeeJay ~ BIG credits for one more day of sticking to your commitments- eating well/on plan, & resisting those "tarts" - and walking - TWICE! WOO HOO for you!!!

Gardenerjoy ~ I have found that the best way to take a break is to do something PHYSICAL. Whether it's a quickie-walk around the block (or building) or some light stretching, deep breathing - it's way better than turning to food.

Bill ~ Way to go for recognizing the fake hunger! I've often thought I was "hungry" when I was bored OR over-stimulated by work - and I bet that walk you had after work was a good way to unwind from that unpleasant task. YAY!!!

Ruthxxx ~ I hope the BECK works for you - I can't boast about any super weight loss (yet!) but I can say that after only a few weeks, my mindset has REALLY changed. I am very pleased at the positive reinforcement techniques that BECK teaches. And I can see how these techniques can work in other areas of my life as well. So start reading and good luck to you!

RobinW ~ stress is a horrible thing! - I do everything I can to avoid it! - and I have found great benefits in a good night's sleep! So when your body yells "sleep!" - then yeah, sleep! It's good for you!

YAY to all BECKstars!!!!

As for me...

food - on track
exercise - on track
positive thinking - on track!

So, til next time...

EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Good evening, Coaches/Buddies. I read the next section in Beck today, which discussed the importance of committing to an exercise plan. I am still formulating what my plan will be, but will update you when I figure it out. I read my cards today and ate well and sat for breakfast (I ate lunch in the car between meetings). I am headed out to a pizza dinner, so hopefully that will go well too. I have been a bit under the weather with a cold, so as a result have been sleeping a ton.

Beach Patrol, great job on staying on track with everything. You have a fantastic attitude. Maybe its all of that sun you get that I'm missing now.

BillBlueEyes, I thought this was a really cool notion.
Quote:
So it shouldn't be such a surprise that they remember to take seconds, to buy sale candy after Halloween, and to head to a vending machine to avoid tension. So, a new Helpful Response: This isn't about wanting seconds, this is about remembering my past.
Thanks for sharing. Also, CREDIT for recognizing the benefit of the candy bar run sans candy bar. That's a great idea I'll have to incorporate.

CeeJay, CREDIT for pastrie de la resistance! That is a huge downfall for me, so I am really admiring your desire to stay on plan.

GardenerJoy, CREDIT for recognizing why you overate. That's really important and easy to overlook. Also, good luck with NaNoWrMo. I'm thinking about applying that philosophy to my dissertation writing when it comes to be time. Keep posting on how it is going, please.

LadyWindsong, CREDIT for and keep up the good attitude!

Maryblu, I have a spaghetti measurer that measurers the diameter of the uncooked noodles to portion them out. It's a little messy, but much more reliable for me than just piling it on my plate.

RobinW, CREDIT for taking care of your tiredness. Sleep is so important, especially for weight loss.

Ruthxx, CREDIT for getting to the gym. You can do it!!! We're cheering you on.

Shepherdess, CREDIT for freezing your brownie for later. That is a great way to let yourself know your not being deprived but still let you incorporate it into your plan at another time.

Happy mid-week to everyone.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #44  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Nov 4 check-in

Hello Coaches

I had a good day. I got my artwork finished last night and hung it for exhibit this morning, got to ceramic class after that and started a new project that looks like it'll be bigger than I anticipated (the projects always have these alternate ideas that I never know until I get to work on them), I came home to a home cooked birthday dinner and I've been relaxing for a few hours now, my gift to myself this evening. I had zero expectations for this birthday and have been pleasantly surprised. I awaoke to a present from DH waiting for me before I left for the day-unexpected as we agreed to postpone both the birthday and the anniversary celebrations until we had more money. My friends remembered and that was nice. I got a Tim Horton's gift card from DH's mom in the mail and that was nice too. I think what's made me so content is reflecting on the year that's gone by. It was good. Really good. I did a lot of good work and I can feel things shifting in my life which is great as I also feel I am definitely embarking on the second half of my life. I need to get my house in order and I am sure this is the year I will begin to truly deal with this weight I carry. It's really time to right what wrong and push forward with what is working. I visualize it as a giant U-turn like I have the time and the space to turn some things around if I do the work this coming year. I am going to really try and do that.

FutureFitChick I have managed to incorporate unplanned exercise in my day most days. Planned exercise is another thing. I've been better with that in the past than I am now. Kudos for reading your book and contemplating what you'll do to follow Beck's suggestions.

Beach Patrol Thanks for the birthday wishes. Kudos for being 100% on track today!

Shepherdess I saw that gorgeous moon too. credit for your run under it and for making brownies and giving them to those you intended to give them to.

LADY WINDSONG Choice is a quality of thinking beings, even bad choices tell us what we don't want. thanks for the thought.

RobinW I may share in some of that pre-show/talk jitteriness too. I'm about to start telling people I'll come to their house and teach a small group to make things and while I am sure I can do it it's still scary. But being nervous is normal if it's something you've never done before... and it does get better with practice. Kudos for having the guts to do what doesn't come naturally!

Ruthxxx I too am a chronic dieter. I've had some success keeping some weight off but it all came back this year. I am where I was 6 years ago now but it won't stay that way. With me there's a strange perfectionism streak that makes me not want to try something for fear that it won't work anyway. This is actually a family trait/belief system and it does me no good whatsoever. Weight issues are where these beliefs live in me more so than any other area of my life. Read the book. Everything you are looking for may not be there but I'll bet you'll be surprised at what you find in it instead!

BillBlueEyes As you know money issues are always happenin' in my world. My sister is sending me 1/2 the $ for the clinic. That covers me for the first 6 weeks and 3/4 of the next phase. I can find the extra hours at the school to cover my payments and put the $ aside slowly. I definitely will not resent the $ if it works for me! I think I really need the constant reminder of committing to a program. I let things slide way too easily right now. I'm too darn happy in general... but that won't last if health issues push forward simply due to my own negligence. Really. Kudos for recognizing the urge to eat to fix an emotion; even greater kudos for working your resistance muscle on it.

'night everyone.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #45  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Feeling some major craft show preparation stress, and turning to the old neural pathways and eating pudding parfaits, potato chips etc. I was down 2 lbs yesterday, after 2 weeks of not weighing, so credit for that! It looks like I am in the 2 lbs a month club. At times it feels way too slow, but in the past it crept up about 2 lbs a month, and that is definitely more painful than slow loss. Today I tracked food, credit, walked 9700+ steps and turned the car around after starting to drive to a cupcake bakery, credit. Skipped Zumba, sigh. I know exercise reduces stress, but stress makes me less inclined to exercise. Arrgh. Well, I should go to bed. Hope to do personals soon. I enjoy reading everyone's entries so much.
Closed Thread