Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #151  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Migraine today. No plan, no work. Tracked most of my food, but still need to write dinner down. Not the best day ever, but cutting myself some slack. Stress, age, hormones. Whatever has caused this turn of events in the last year, I'm not a fan. Hoping for better tomorrow. I'm doing ok now, except when there are loud noises, i.e. all the screaming the children are doing and we are doing at them. Yikes.

Margaret Sounds like you did great with the soup and salad, and (re)learned a lesson about dressing on the side. I'd count that as a victory.

BillBE Good job with the miso. A tried and true Volumetrics strategy, and one Beck has adopted as well.

Shepherdess I'm envious of your run. Mine got skipped today for obvious reasons.

Beach Patrol Looks like you are building up lots of momentum with good habits!

RobinW Health issues are always a huge motivator. I know you can make positive changes in 3 months.

See y'all tomorrow!

Anne
Old 11-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Good evening! Well, it wasn't until dinner tonight that I got myself back on track. ooops. Little emotional eating on my part. I worked last night and that always throws me off. No reason, just not paying attention. Typically I work ten hours a MONTH outside of my home and some months as much as 20. I consider it a vacation that pays.

Now I am checking in here and doing my Wii Active and hitting the sack. Bed is a safe place with no food.

wndranne-- I really think it should be illegal for people to bring food to share to work. I always struggled with that b/c one, I am an impulse eater and two, I could work under the pretty safe assumption that their food was better than whatever I made. I do indeed need sleep. I lost a lot of weight before I had kids and it is easier then. You can make it your full time job. Not so much with little people around. What does going nonlinear at work mean?? So sorry about your migraine. I am grateful to not get them and it pains me to see people who are suffering-- just seems beyond miserable.

Nuxmaga-- kudos to you for not gaining any weight while out of your house! Hope you are feeling better.

Gardenerjoy-- your posts break my heart.

BBE-- didn't think about food all day???? Can't even fathom.

Futurefitchick-- you sound like me--'in my head.... But..." kudos to your for writing everything down!

Shepherdess-- I am so impressed with how well you are dealing with taking care of your DH! Truly! You seem to be so on top of your behaviors in a smart, preventative way.

Beachpatrol-- I agree--- YIPPEEEE YEEHAW and WOOOOOT WOOOOOT For being down another pound... CONGRATS! I need to stop doing quick replies so I include more icons.

RobinW-- Yikes on the hypertension. So glad you are trying to do it without meds. I am sure you will knock your docs socks off when she sees you in three months.

Happy Thursday!

Last edited by KidsLibrarylady; 11-19-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: new post to respond to.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #153  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Keeping track of things. I'm not really exercising the way I want, but I think I'll be gentle with myself given the writing for NaNoWriMo and the things I'm doing for my brother and his SO.

WI: -0.05kg, Exercise: +30, 804/1300 minutes for November, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #154  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
On track with calories today, and tracked food, credit. 5100+ steps, credit. No bargain sized bags of anything consumed, yay! Tomorrow is set-up for a craft show, right at dinnertime. Still need a plan for a snack to tide me over until we get back home and can eat some good homemade soup.

Kidslibrarylady--Yay for getting back on track! I know how quickly I can lapse into not paying attention, and things add up.

wndranne--credit for tracking most of your food. Hope your migraine is gone.

RobinW--Ouch on the hypertension. I am on meds, but since I started Beck, I was able to reduce the dose of one, and my numbers are good. Did you ever read Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living? That's really good stuff for dealing with stress.

BeachPatrol--Kudos for being down a pound! Thanks for the encouragement about the orange juice! I do feel better today.

Shepherdess--I'm impressed with all the self-care you've gotten in, right in the middle of schedule changes and your dh's medical issues.

Bill--Yay for miso soup! Excellent strategy.

FutureFitChick--Credit for food tracking! It has been a revelation to me since I've started tracking--I really knew very little about how many calories I was eating. Restaurant food is always a guess, but I practice just taking my best guess, and persisting with my changes, and figure it will even out--some underestimating, some overestimating.

gardenerjoy--yay for writing! That is so cool. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's SO. That is sad.

Good night!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At the reception with an art show after work I took only a small plate of raw veggies - no dip, no cheeses, no crackers, no drinks; CREDIT moi. Then took DW and DD to Panera Bread for a quick dinner where, encouraged by Anne (wndranne)'s use of "Volumetrics" I had a half bowl of bean soup and a half turkey avocado sandwich. CREDIT moi for two good eating choices in one evening.

Robin (RobinW) - Hyper Kudos for taking on your hyper tension with lifestyle changes. Neat that your doctor gave you a specific three month window. Cheering you on from here.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch. Sending virtual chicken soup.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - May the sales at your dinner time craft show today be sufficient to distract you from idle eating.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay that the writing continues and that your exercise total is staying on track.

KidsLibraryLady - Ooops for "just not paying attention" - I hate it when I discover that I've just been eating.

Beach Patrol - Double Kudos for reading your Response Cards twice per day - those do have an impact on me also.

Shepherdess - Yay for continuing to be the Physical Therapist for you DH. And Kudos for ignoring the winds as an excuse not to run.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9
Select an Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet-related benefits.

Exercise helps you stick with your diet. When you exercise, you say to yourself, I'm serious about losing weight and getting in shape ... I'm willing to make a commitment, even if I start off very small ... I'm determined to succeed, once and for all. Viewing exercise in this way can help you better commit to changing your eating, too, as this determination can carry over into your dieting efforts.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 107.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #156  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

OK everybody! - Here comes the weekend! - and then THANKSGIVING is next week! - wow!!! Seems like just yesterday was 4th of July!

I seem to only post here Mon-Fri (usually while at work... ) cause I rarely get on the computer at home during weekends/holidays. So ... I will hopefully be here Monday & Tuesday of next week, then I'm off for T'giving & expecting my dad & brother for a 4-day visit.

FOR THANKSGIVING: I plan to eat whatever I want and not worry about anything. I also plan to take a good few walks along the beach while dad & bro are here, so I'll be sure to get in my exercise. I'm a little apprehensive about T'giving because there is just always SO MUCH FOOD AND STRESS ... but I am going to be diligent about reading my cards and rating my hunger before/during/after meals, and NOT hang around the kitchen unless it's time to eat!

I will absolutely try to check in with everyone next week, but if I'm not around, y'all will know why.

So y'all be GOOD and READ your cards! And eat OP and EXERCISE and ENJOY THE HOLIDAY! - and CREDIT YOURSELVES, ya hear??

~EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I got off track yesterday, but seem to have gotten back on OK this afternoon. (I still was completely honest about what I ate though.) I still have not committed to an exercise plan! This weekend... I have been tracking my food, reading my cards, and sitting and eating mindfully today. I started doing the Hunger, Desire, Craving exercise yesterday, but didn't get it finished. I plan to re-do that tomorrow. I was surprised at how little I wanted breakfast. I really have not been paying attention to my hunger!

Tonight, we are going to a farewell party for a colleague whom I really like. I would much rather stay at home and enjoy our pets and home and see my husband. (He has been working late several nights this weekend and as a result doesn't commute home if it is too late at night to drive.) I don't want to deal with the junk food that will be there and trying to make pleasant conversation with drunken friends. Uck! (I won't drink because of the calories and will also be DD.) I have been becoming more and more anti-social in the last several weeks. I am not sure if it is the change in weather, getting older and wanting to be around family, or spending so much time in my head dealing with the eating issues. Anyhow, I hope you have a nice weekend.

BeachPatrol, I'm really glad to hear about your VERY healthy eating and walks. Congratulations on your loss from all of your hard work. YEA!

BillBlueEyes, great job at the reception with sticking to the raw veggies and for the Panera selections. Hope the work deadline is going OK for you.

Gardenerjoy, great job on the continued loss, especially given all of the chaos in your life. You can do it! Hopefully the weather will be nicer this weekend. Take care, and happy typing.

KidsLibraryLady, I think considering your work a vacation that pays is remarkable. I'm going to have to remember that! Fabulous job on getting back on track list night. You can do it!

Nuxmaga, I hope you are feeling better and that the OJ didn't get the better of you. Did you come up with some responses for future "bargain store" shopping? I'd love to hear them.

RobinW, glad to hear the paperwork is not as much of a nightmare as I had imagined. Sorry to hear about the hypertension. You can manage it, I know you can! Don't forget how important stress reduction can be to lowering blood pressure. Personally, I have a terrible time remembering that when I add something to my life, something else has to come out! It was a really interesting exercise to go through and list all of the things my head expected me to be able to do in a day, then time it and compare to how long each thing actually takes. I ended up with 27 hours of stuff I was expecting myself to do, not including sleep. YIKES! Anyhow, 3 months is a great time frame to conquer this. Keep at it, girl!

Shepherdess, I was thinking about you and your husband's recovery last night and hope that it is going well. Really awesome job on planning ahead and staying on track even though there is chaos in the daily life.

Wndranne, sorry to hear about the PB cup run-in. Hopefully it didn't ruin your clothes! Migraines are stinkers! Here's hoping you got rid of it! Take care of yourself.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #158  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Feeling much better today. Kids are now asleep. I had a mental plan today that I pretty much stuck to. Passed up donuts, candy, and a big plate of desserts at work today. Enjoying my planned chips and beer now with no guilt. I like that. Didn't get my run in today with catching up and kid duty, tomorrow is DH's big ride (109 miles), but Sunday I'm supposed to run (or at least run/walk) 8 miles. I did walk around the "block" ~1 mile, carrying a 22 lb toddler, so I suppose that counts for something.

KidsLibrarylady good for you for getting back on track. Some days it takes a while. It is so hard with kids. Going nonlinear is just nerd-speak for flying off the handle about something.

gardenerjoy I'm glad you checked in and are giving yourself credit for what you are able to do.

Margaret Good work being on plan and staying out of the bargain sized bags. They are quite expensive in human cost after all.

BillBE Hurray, and hurray. Nice work.

Beach Patrol Nice reminder on a T'day plan. I find it helps to do some visualizing to stay on plan.

FutureFitChick I understand your anti-social feelings. We are become more and more hermit-like ourselves. Hope the party goes/went well.

Have a good one, my friends.

Anne
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #159  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
A quick check-in. dh and I set up our booth tonight. Had a late dinner, but went with a veggie wrap and soup(it would be good in the future to ask if it's creamy, because it was, and I didn't expect it to be, and a crumbled corn chip garnish), and didn't attack the bread basket, credit. Tomorrow we're at the show 9:30-4:30--I need to pack a lunch. Dumped the rest of the Horizon "lowfat" eggnog down the sink this morning, yay!! It was wretchedly awful, and yet old taste memories of loving eggnog as a child activated a second serving last night--even mixed with 1% milk, it was too sweet with a bubblegum aftertaste. dh thought maybe some bourbon would drown that out. . . Well, off to bed.
Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

I had a planned breakfast out during a write-in this morning, but it was an unplanned amount of calories -- something I realized about three hours later when I wasn't hungry yet for lunch. Oops. The odd thing, though, was that I had a hard time resisting foraging behavior while running errands on the way home. They were much stronger urges than I have been experiencing the last few weeks. Apparently, my strongest trigger for overeating is overeating.

I did resist (Credit!) and had a light lunch to make up for that breakfast when I finally did get hungry.

I was all ready to do a short strength training routine and a bit of yoga when I got called into action -- buy new extra-long sheets for the hospital bed that the hospice people provided. I don't mind at all -- that's just the sort of task I can do and feel good about, but it's the kind of thing that means exercise for the fourth day in a row was several short walks rather than the more ambitious workout I had in mind. Oh well.

WI: -0.5kg (new low), Exercise: +30, 834/1300 minutes for November, Food: off, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: great food choices for a busy evening!

FutureFitChick: I hope your party goes better than expected, but I totally get just wanting to stay home.

wndranne: great job in passing up all those sweets at work -- good grief!

Nuxmaga: way to go on dumping eggnog that wasn't working for you!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #161  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

good day here...tomorrow is cleaning day (again!) the construction guys are still working pfft!
Old 11-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At Panera's Bread on Thursday, I didn't eat the sourdough-looking roll that came with my soup; CREDIT moi. However, I stuck it in my sports coat pocket - like a French nobleman during the revolution stealing bread for my starving children. Amazes me that even when I bring myself to avoid eating a chunk of bread I still need to save it. So, last night I sliced it into coins and toasted it to go with DW's white bean soup for dinner. It was OK, but not sourdough. Someday I hope to be able to avoid food and walk away from it. Oh Well. (hmmmm... I suspect that French nobleman image snuck into my brain beside the guillotine that continues to hang at work, LOL.)

Snack after dinner was a fresh pineapple that I had picked up on a walk for just 99 cents. My thoughts of going to Hawaii aren't just to surf the giant waves and see active volcanoes, it's to engorge myself on fresh pineapple.

A window labeled "Pulse360" just popped up on my screen as it does once a session. Does anyone else get those?

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at "cleaning day (again!)" - you'd think it would learn it's lesson.

Anne (wndranne) - Yay for "planned chips and beer now with no guilt" - now that's showing us all how to do it. Yep, toddler toting is a recognized Olympic sport.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for dumping the "lowfat" eggnog and for your good choice of soup and wrap for dinner. Good luck at your show today.

FutureFitChick - That rapid return to on-track without a bucket of self put downs is a great way to stay on path for the long haul; Kudos. Hope your party went well last night. Sending exercise plan thoughts your way.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Stealing this for my lists, "Apparently, my strongest trigger for overeating is overeating." Just gotta learn that; it's certainly true for me.

Beach Patrol - Your comment, "Seems like just yesterday was 4th of July!" had me humming all day from the Chicago song
Saturday, in the park
Think it was the 4th of July
A man selling ice cream
Kudos for planning walks with your dad and bro. I found that one of the great benefits of having a food plan was that I could comfortably take it to big Holiday meals and choose the items I wanted to eat and still finish well below my former stuffed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 9
Select an Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet-related benefits.
. . .
Exercise might help control appetite. Although study results are mixed, some psychologist believe that regular exercise helps to regulate the appetite control system.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 107.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-21-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, the party last night went OK. I am glad it is over. It was nice to catch up with friends. We went out to eat before we got to the party. We went to a tex-mex place. I stopped eating my burito because 1) it was giant, 2) I got to the point where my last bite didn't taste any better than the first one. I didn't finish the accompanying chips either. At the party, I sampled a few things, but placed myself across the room from the food (which unfortunately moved me away from many of the people as well). I again thought that I had done pretty well in terms of calories for the day, but when I finished tracking everything, I was over by a lot more than I'd like to be.

I have my meals planned out for the next week and will do some preparative cooking/cutting today. I read my response cards. I still have not planned my exercise, but will likely at least walk with the dogs today. My food tracking is also up to date. WI: +3lbs, which was a surprise until I finished my food tracking (and disappointing, but not traumatizing - maybe I'm too tired to get overly emotional about it...).

BillBlueEyes, thanks for the exercise plan thoughts. They are starting to work, so keep sending them for now. Hope the guillotine is fading. Of course, as soon as you said that, I was thinking "Let them eat bread?"
Quote:
Snack after dinner was a fresh pineapple that I had picked up on a walk for just 99 cents.
I misread this as pickled and thought, "Hmm...I'm not sure what that would be like!"

Quote:
My thoughts of going to Hawaii aren't just to surf the giant waves and see active volcanoes, it's to engorge myself on fresh pineapple.
Don't forget the guava!

Quote:
A window labeled "Pulse360" just popped up on my screen as it does once a session. Does anyone else get those?
I don't, but am on a Mac.

GardenerJoy, too bad about the unplanned amount of calories. It is so frustrating feeling like you have to jump through hoops just to get a reasonable meal. I found this really funny:
Quote:
The odd thing, though, was that I had a hard time resisting foraging behavior while running errands on the way home... Apparently, my strongest trigger for overeating is overeating.
So true! Once I get fast food or something like that, it send my brain into "survival of the fattest" mode and makes me think I need to eat all of my meals out. Yuck! Congratulations on your new low. That is so impressive with all that is going on. I'm glad you were able to help your family. It always make me feel glad to be "used" like that for something someone needs. Keeping you all in my thoughts! Oh, and by the way. In case we don't "talk" before Thursday, I am obligated by marriage to say the following:GO WEBSTER STATESMEN!

Nuxmaga, good job on the food selections. I never remember/try to order new food prepared a specific way. I don't know why, but I either am too intimidated (the fat girl needs her food prepared special - why is she bothering at this point), or just plain don't think about it. Bummer about the eggnot. It's always sad when beverages get ruined (in my opinion) by sweeteners or corn syrup. Happy selling today.

RobinW, happy cleaning!

Wndranne, major victory of the sugar assault. That's great! I am so impressed! Hope the weather is nice today for your family and tomorrow for your run.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Has it REALLY been 16 days since I posted??

I haven’t posted here for over 2 weeks. I am finding it hard to make the time now that our MIL is with us. I’m not complaining, it’s a joy to have her. But I haven’t figured out how to make the time for this activity. I exercise and plan my food for the day before work. I work until 6, hang out with DH and MIL until 9, and then have 1:1 time with DH until I fall into bed between 9:30 and 10 PM. The only time I’m willing to sacrifice is time at work, so I’ll start writing my posts during the day at work…
I’m officially at a plateau in weight loss. I’ve lost 42 lbs since my high of 206, so almost exactly 20%. It could be due to a few things.
        Bill, Maryblu and Anne (and any other ‘big losers’ I can’t think of) – did you hit a plateau and how did you move past it?
        In Beck’s newsletter she suggested putting status for all the major skills into posts like this. Since, it seems a good time for me to get back to basics, I thought I’d give it a try. So, you’ll see a change to my report below.
        WI-down .3 lbs. Read my cards every day but one, made a plan every day but one. Food – op, Exercise – op (340-375 minutes per week).
                      I have been lurking here everyday and am impressed by all of you. I hope to get back to personals soon, but I want to start by getting back into the habit of posting daily.

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 11-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.
                      Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #165  
                      Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

got told off this morning....told hubby I was going to get my cleaning done.

He promptly asked me what was more important...cleaning or my health. Guess who didnt get much cleaning done. Managed to get my floors done again and all the construction dust off of them.

Then I did my workout...cardio and some upper strength training.

Food is right on! Exercise is right on! Attitude is better...

Have a great evening everyone!
                      Closed Thread