Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I need advice on a new scale.

Not sure where to put this but...

I'm offically DONE with my old one. I can step on it 3 times and get 3 different weights. This morning I weighed myself clothed before working out and weighed 222. Then, after my work out I weighed myself naked and weighed 223.5. I didn't drink any water AND I peed before the second weigh in. And I gained 1.5 lbs?

So... I'm taking a bat to my scale, breaking it into bits (diet therapy!) and buying a new one...

Should I go digital or analog? Which ones have you guys found to be accurate and relaible? Anyone have a scale that reads body fat? Does it work?

Last edited by marbear24; 09-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Since we are in this topic, I also would like to ask if those digital scales that shows mass, fat and water % can be accurate.
I bought one and was so happy to be able to measure that and my BF said it is a BS and a regular scale can’t really measure all that.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by belezura; 09-18-2009 at 03:32 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

I had a glass digital scale which was great, but at some point it started giving inaccurate readings, different readings as you described. So I threw it out and bought a new one.

I bought a digital scale.. It is made by Tenita (about $50) and measures body fat and water percentage. It can also be programmed for two people, which I thought was a nice feature. As far as it's accuracy I got the same weight as my nurse practitioner's scale. I am not sure about the accuracy of the water weight however. As far as body fat, it was very close to the same reading my PT gave me. I'm happy with it!
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/128/115

Height: 5'2"

You can't wrong with a Tanita. I have had two, and when you get on 5 times, you get Exactly the same weight, to the tenth of a pound every time.
diane1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.4/133.4/105

Height: 5'0"

I'm a proud owner of a Tanita scale and I can say it is one of the best scales. It has always been accurate for me and never gives me different readings even if I step on it ten times.
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #6  
Graceful Loser

I have the same problem with my scale, which is a Curves scale. It was so expensive that I can't get another one right now.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

I'll agree on the recs for tanita. I've had the same two person adult/child programmable digital scale with body fat percentage for 8 years and it still works great. I like a scale with BF% because even though they are not the world's most accurate way (DEXA scan, or water/air displacement have that honor) they will, as long as you step on the scale at the same times with the same level of hydration (thereabouts), show you CHANGES. Which is what losing/gaining fat is all about. Now, I can record minor rises sometimes but as a trend it is going down (I make sure to record the BF% with my weight).

As long as you can spend at least 50 dollars (up to $130) on a bathroom scale they are totally worth it, accurate if you play the "step on and off" game (but don't play that game, hah) and also long-lived (at least for me and not only has it lived up to my weight but also moved from dorm room to dorm room to apartment to back home, durable!).

To be fair to your current scale you didn't actually do two _consecutive_ weigh-ins but after a workout. You could have muscle swelling or something.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 138/128/115

Height: 5'2"

Totally agree Dangerfish! I've owned my Tanita for years, and the consistency and accuracy is top-notch. Also, I weigh the exact same amount on my scale as I do when I go to my center for my weekly weighin! No surprises for me!
diane1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

I ended up getting a health -o-meter one, as I posted this question 15 minutes before I went shopping (not great planning on my part!) I like my scale (for now anyway) but i think my next purchase may need to be a tanita, as everyone who has one seems to love it!
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote