Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #61  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I said "NO THANKS" to a chocolate chip cookie this morning! WOOT for me!

I have lost four pounds. I am almost certain it's water weight, but hey, 4 lbs is 4 lbs, right?

There is fun to be had this weekend "Pirate Fest" now in its 5th year in Savannah Georgia (Tybee Island - where I live). One of my good friends from jr-hi-school will be visiting me for this "argh, matey" event. I'll sincerely have to watch my food intake, as will she - we're both hefty wenches! (wench, ya know, pirate theming here!) She is doing WW and is down 16 pounds. We'll encourage each other whilst having shiver-me-timbers fun!

Hope you all are doing well... Cheers!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #62  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, but Anne, kilograms come into it somehow!

Jay
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

I'm reluctant to post this AM, particularly when seeing how well all of you are doing. I had a slip up last night. I was tired and hungry and snacked on some chips. I'm usually a perfectionist, and when these slip-ups happen, I give up entirely. So I'm getting back on track today.

I did yoga this morning. I did a hard run yesterday and am a bit sore.

BTW, BillBE, I found this thread through a google search. I was looking for an online Beck group on another diet website I have used in the past, but couldn't find anyone there who knew much about it.

Send me warm thoughts. It was 22 and looking like snow when I got up this morning. Winter is here!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #64  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default rainy thursday

hi everyone,

feeling a bit down today. i just finished a yummy lunch, and immediately started thinking about how i could fit some sugary chocolate calories into my day. didn't even give my stomach a chance to register fullness from lunch. sigh. the good news is that i immediately thought, whoa girl, what are you DOING? and came here to post. chalking it up to DMS (during, not pre-menstrual.) to paraphrase jay from a little bit ago, just because i want it, doesn't mean i have to eat it. i'm clearly not hungry, just cranky. feeling a little stuck financially and career-wise. (news to everyone here, huh? )
tomorrow is my last day on this assignment. not sure if there's anything lined up for me or not after here. i'm having a tougher and tougher time with the uncertainty of being a consultant (to say nothing of the fact that the work itself stopped being interesting many, many years ago. if i wasn't working to maintain an empty house, things would be VERY different. anyone want to buy a wonderful Victorian in a neat neighborhood in cincinnati? i just dropped the price, again. argh.

all right, enough kvetching. how's everyone?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default flyby and a link

I've been busy -- for both good and sad reasons. Will post more this weekend I hope. I have been lurking and thinking a lot. One has been about stress and weight - and I found some info on the web. I looked it up after watching a Dr Oz episode, my current not-at-all-guilty pleasure. Since most folks on the list seem to be under a lot of stress I thought you might be interested.

http://ask.doctoroz.com/question/str...-vicious-cycle

to the huge influx of new folks. I hope to get to know each of you better soon.

to the rest!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #66  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Beach Patrol!! Big Honkin' Kudos for passing up the choco chip cookie!!

ChinaMaine, Im almost afraid to click your link. I wont watch Dr. Oz. Why? Because I just dont want to know. Silly I know. But I dont like to be scared into doing what I should be. I'll let you know if I broke down and clicked on it. I hope you doing well and feeling ok.

We stayed away from Home depot today....BUT I found the perfect towel racks at TJ Max Home Goods! We had a little glitch this morning. But if this is all that goes wrong with the bathroom remodel then Im going to count my blessings

Food isnt too shabby! Exercise....shopping! Kudos for planning my food and getting my protein out of the freezer tonight!

Have a great evening!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 PM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had planned to spend more time in the hotel pool this morning after my one last conference responsibility, but the forecast was for rain all day. I decided I would rather get it over with than fret about having to drive home in the rain, so I left as soon as I was able. All went well.

WI: none, Exercise: +55, 412/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

onebyone: great to "see" you! I'm doing a mix-and-match meal plan. I started with four or five suppers and fewer lunches and breakfasts. I changed the menus a bit on the Fall Equinox to give us some new things. I didn't get too hung up on counting calories, just tried to make them balanced and vegetable-laden. So far, it's working. I figure if I ever hit a plateau that goes on for weeks, that will be a good time to get more serious about calorie counting and measuring. Sounds like you're doing a great job preparing for this new leg of your journey.

BillBlueEyes: congrats on the new awareness of body image! And thanks for the lovely adventurous descriptions of my trip. I think your vision is better than my reality, but that's okay, I'll just borrow it!

Anne: Congrats on the new low!

BeachPatrol: Good job on politely refusing the chocolate chip cookies!

Shepherdess: You don't need to be perfect, just persistent!

kuhljeanie: that is a difficult situation -- good for you for realizing that sugary chocolate wasn't going to fix it for you.

ChinaMaine: great to hear from you and thanks for the link!

RobinW: glad you found the towel racks! Great that you planned your meals and were able to thaw what you needed. That's one of the more mundane advantages I've found with planning my meals -- stuff is actually thawed when I intend to use it!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-09-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Fall has an equinox, not a solstice
Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The food pusher at the office has been inactive of late, luring me into a false security. But he burst forth yesterday with a platter of homemade marshmallow squares separated with wrapped peanut butter cups - a Martha Stewart eye appealing sight. The health benefits of rice krispies were touted, but deflected by a pole thin guy who eats consciously; that helped me. I had the Sabotaging Thoughts, "It's been so long since you've had those," and "Those were such an important part of your childhood." I said NO CHOICE and they ceased to be a draw; CREDIT moi.

Had the thought as I walked near Whole Foods that I wasn't thinking about going in for the FREE samples. Then spent the rest of my walk debating whether it was possible to think about NOT thinking about something. Four miles just flew by; CREDIT moi for being so easily amused.

maryblu - Waving. Sending pitching thoughts for your Twins this evening.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for "cranky." Double Ouch for the realities of the uncertainties behind it. Hope you get lined up with a gig where you can feel the impact of your work.

Robin (RobinW) - Big Congrats for finding the perfect towel racks and Congrats for weaning yourself away from Home Depot, LOL. Kudos for keeping your perspective on the "glitch" - now that's a demo in avoiding stress.

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats on your new postpartum low - sounds like you're in a good place. Wasted part of my day wondering which digits are "moderately major" and which aren't and what they were instead. When I was younger I would have classified '0' as the least significant digit until I was taught that representing numbers was stuck until the Arabs invented the '0'. I'm kinda fond of them all. Appreciate that you dropped by to "OUCH" the mass in calories.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for the stress; sending supportive thoughts for the "sad." Thanks for the link to Dr. Oz. Deflecting stress remains a challenge for me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for completing your adventure on-plan. Time to share the bounty you pillaged with the home folk in return for real food.

Jay (JayEll) - Waving back. May your "kilograms" remain constant for your entire visit to San Francisco.

Beach Patrol - Congrats on the four pounds gone - water or whatever. And BIG Kudos for that NO THANKS to a chocolate chip cookie.

Pirate Fest weekend sounds like an active, exciting event. Your home does seems stuck out in the Gulf Stream rather vulnerable to pirates, LOL. There must be local history.

Shepherdess - Kudos for bouncing right back from a slip - the number one strategy for a life of rational eating. It is such a debilitating Sabotaging Thought the ol' "give up entirely." Way to go.

Are those three guys in your avatar friends of yours? They look well prepared for 22 degrees and snow. You're waaaaaaay ahead of us in this winter business.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2
Pick Two Reasonable Diets

Before you pick this primary diet, though, you need to know that there are no miracle diets and that no one diet works equally well for all dieters. Although many diets are marked as a "breakthrough" and "the easy way to lose weight," scientific research has determined that such sweeping claims are simple not true. All diets enable weight loss in the same way - by getting you to eat fewer calories.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 63.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-10-2009 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-09-2009, 05:36 AM   #69  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've been lurking and reading in here and finally got off my butt and ordered the book. I gather it will take a while to read and absorb so see you all when I've done so.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Oh, my goodness!

First JayEll, now Ruthxxxx..

We are getting some of the wisest of 3FC in our fold. Thanks to our Cyber Sheppard BillBE, we are gaining (sorry, bad choice of words!) credibility among the wise ones on 3FC.

I don't want to be glib about the wisdom of Beck and the methodology. I love the "just do it-no brainer" approach. There is a method for whatever form of food madness is grabbing at us. I am a broken record on this, but the two biggest traps of dieting, imho, are that perfectionist, all-or-nothing approach, and the trap of the scale; at any given moment, it is just a #. Stick to the method, follow the methods, daily; success will happen automatically.

After being particularly disgusted at food options (especially offended by the plastic tomatoes) at the day and a half conference from which I just returned, I treated myself last night to a Caprese Salad, made from my friend's still abundant hoop house organically grown tomatoes, and yes, you can hate me because they are beautiful, the last of my outdoor Basil, and to almost all of a small Delicata squash. Bliss. Real food.

Came home and got lazy; did not pick raspberries. Big mistake. Woke up to 25 degrees this morning. The 2009 growing season is officially over. Very sad.

Best to all, and BillBE that dia-whatever-you-said dress is the same little white dress I had on in the last Avatar pic..just way cool shot on the lake..on my favorite rock. ..well, one of my favorites, anyway.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #71  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default hazzy friday, everyone

ah, the sweet fuzziness of muscle relaxants! seriously...one more kid, and then i'm strongly considering endometrial ablation. this is LAME. should make for a fun time on the treadmill, though.

mary, i think he said diaphonous. an SAT adjective if i ever heard one. me, i'd say you looked hot. but i'm on painkillers right now. hi onebyone! do you need meal ideas? i keep a nifty spreadsheet with four tabs on it (stop laughing, bill) that's got my plan, sample foods, weekly shopping and prep, and specific meals for a week. happy to send it to you if you think you'd find it helpful as a jumping-off point. also happy to provide recipes etc.

welcome ruth! and hiya! nice to have another beckie! i'm going to disagree ever so slightly with mary. for me, the magic keys are giving up the all-or-nothing thinking, and planning, planning, planning. never go in without a plan.

bill, was just talking with my DH about the herculean difficulty of telling yourself NOT to think about something. that only seems to work for me if i actually want to think about it. otherwise, distraction is about the only thing that works. DH is chronically worried and recognizes that it's the worry and not the object of the worry that's the real problem. he's had a bear of a time NOT worrying about things, so he's trying actively engaging his mind on something else as a strategy. not sure how it's going...i should check in, huh?

gardenerjoy, safety first, for sure! glad you made it home in one piece. robin, congrats on your towel rack victory. i'd love to see before and after pictures when you're ready to share! thanks for the link, china. very interesting! (and i do like dr.oz. he's good-looking in a nerdy way.)

warm thoughts, shepherdess! including the ones about not having to be perfect. yoga's kind of awesome for that - glad you're a practitioner!

so tonight is my nephew's consecration, and we're going to a fantastic chinese seafood restaurant to celebrate. they have amazing rock salt squid, so i'm cutting back on my snacks today to make room for the extra calories. will probably also spend an extra 20 minutes running to give myself a little cushion. credit moi in advance.

had an absorbing wonderful time in interior design class last night. man, i'd love to do that all day. think happy thoughts for me. it'd be so amazing to spend my time on something i really care about.

have a great weekend!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 10-09-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

I spent some time yesterday objectively (key word) looking over my the last few days to find out what went wrong. I came away with two observations: first, I have not been eating nearly enough protein lately. Lots of veggies, lots of whole grains, but not much protein. So I bumped that up yesterday and it was so much easier to stick to a plan. Second, I realized that the slip-up was really pretty minor. It's not ideal, definitely a pattern that needs to be broken, but not worth getting so worked up about. I realized that the feelings of hopelessness are just my minds sly way of trying to get out of doing any hard work.

Congrats to kuhljeanie and BillBE for staying strong in the face of temptation. You are inspiring. And congrats kuhljeanie for thinking ahead.

Maryblu, I'm with in mourning over the end of the growing season.

Yes, BillBE, those sheep in the avatar are my three first bum lambs. Their mothers either died or couldn't raise them, so I took them in and bottle fed them. Now they think they're people and hang around my house instead of going out with the reast of the heard. And as my father in law always says, the sheep have 10 lbs of wool on them by winter. They are the happiest animals in Wyoming.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #73  
Lovin' Life

jean, here is the bathroom after it was gutted. I didnt think to get one before they did this. Oh well. I'll post an "almost done" after I get home. Today should be their last day

Everything in this bathroom was pink!! Walls, toilet, tub!!

Hiya Ruth! Good to see you over here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gutted bathroom.jpeg (5.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by RobinW; 10-09-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #74  
Lovin' Life

this is the almost done after pic. Seems they arent quite done....but should be on Monday!

the tub is on the right, and the loo is behind that wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg almost done after pic.jpg (18.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #75  
Practicing Imperfection

A quick check-in. Tracked calories, credit. 6,000+ steps and Zumba, credit. Passed up the temptation of the vending machine after my workout, credit--I am still irritated that the Y got a vending machine, and fills it with candy bars and crackers. Listened to the lure of the pudding parfaits at the cafeteria, sigh. Free soft pretzel to celebrate "customer service week"--fresh, free carbs are very difficult to decline. . .even though at 8:30 in the morning, I really wouldn't have spontaneously decided to go buy a pretzel.

Welcome to the new folks!

And thanks Bill and wndranne for the physics of calories discussion! My husband is teaching both zoology and physics this semester, and tries to combine lessons once a week, ie. the physics of how a giraffe gets blood up to its head. . .
Closed Thread