Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #46  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi Alll,
Tracked food, credit. 12,000+ steps, credit. Beyond that, I'm hard pressed to find some credits, since I went into anxious snacking, and am resisting picking up the Beck book, since the stressed sad part of myself is saying "no! that will mean the end of comfort" though of course, it's not really comforting. I eat something, and then I just want to eat something else.

RobinW--congrats on your progress with getting a workout partner, and doing decluttering. I am working on that right now, as a distraction, with the benefit of making a calmer surrounding.

BeachPatrol--Yay for eating slowly! I have always been a speed eater--my sister and I would inhale our food to get away from the table with our parents as quickly as possible.

kuhljeanie--credit for good choice of husband. That makes a lot of things easier.

wndranne--congrats on detoxing from the internet--I could use some of that.

JayEll--credit for realizing the cards are important! I am still battling on that one, and know that the practiced, reflexive way of eating isn't helping me--I need to practice a different way, and the cards help with that.

Bill--Yay for buying clothes that fit! I have a great consignment store in town and I get all my clothes there--great for trying out different looks, and affording different sizes.

gardenerjoy--credit for planning to bring your own food--that could make an immense difference in your feeling of control.

Kim in NH--Yay for forgetting the jelly beans were there! I am always amazed when that happens. If I put something in the cupboard, way in the back I have a much better chance of forgetting, but the sabotaging thoughts tend to say "Oh, that can't really make a difference." Bleah for sabotage.

zansidhe--Kudos for looking at worked and didn't work in the past. That is important knowledge.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #47  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My trip is going well. I've discovered that simply being in the car by myself for 30 minutes triggers cravings. Also, that an embarrassing part of my brain is devoted to remembering the exits of fast food restaurants, convenience stores, and other places where I used to buy treats when I was driving. Oh well. Hopefully, that brain space will eventually free up and can be devoted to more important things like which farmer at the market sells the best raspberries and the approximate date of the harvest.

So, I ate my packed snack at a picnic table in a highway rest area. And, you know what? That's a much lovelier experience than stopping at convenience store.

WI: +0.2kgs, Exercise: +50, 267/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: good job on that eating situation -- I struggle when I expect something that doesn't come to pass. And would be very likely to overeat after not getting the expected experience.

JayEll: way to go on pre-thinking your SF trip!

kuhljeanie: wow, you really did marry a great guy! I love that story! Hope the treadmill helped with the PMS -- that works for me!

BeachPatrol: Yay for eating slowly! That deserves dancing carrots!

RobinW: Good luck with the bathroom and the workout partner!

Nuxmaga: good job on the exercise and food tracking and working out what really is and is not comforting for you.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-06-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone. I just stumbled on this site and it looks like it will be great support. I recently started the Beck program. My husband heard an interview with her on NPR and thought it would be something I might find helpful--particularly because of the cognitive behavioral approach. I'm not looking to lose a lot of weight, just to get a sense of control over my eating. I seem to move between being overly strict and letting it all go.

Right now I am still in stage 1 and have been doing well. Eating everything slowly while sitting has been particularly helpful. I hope to start stage 2 next week. I also wanted to give myself credit for going for a run today. We had some of those wild wyoming winds, and I didn't feel like going out. But I went out anyway and it felt great. Besides, if I don't tough it out and run in the wind I won't run until May.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi,

Sorry I had disappeared again. I've been really sick with fever and bad congestion. I'm just starting to feel better today. I still feel weak but it's the first day I see an improvement in over a week. I've been trying to stay on plan. Some days have been good, others have not. I think I will do better when I get all better and back on my normal routine.

I won't be back on the boards until next Monday as I am going out of town on Thursday for the weekend and am flying to Oregon to visit a friend.

I will check back in when I get back and hopefully be back on track with everything. I plan on following my Beck advice and my plan all through the trip.

Miss you all and talk to you when I get back

Kara
Old 10-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Shepherdess

Shepherdess

And, in honor of your first post on 3FC,

Neat that you learned of Beck when your husband heard Dr. Beck on NPR.

But how did you happen to find this thread on 3FC?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Observed something neat at dinner last night. First I ate my corn because it was picked that morning - DW went out to a real farm stand. Then I ate my pea tendrils from the same place and I was concentrating on the question of whether they were a poor man's folk salad or a yuppi veggie. Then I ate my Delicata Squash to conclusion savoring every bite. Only then did I get to the grilled Alaskan Wild Salmon, and, noting that I was now satisfied, ate just enough to enjoy my favorite fish taste on planet earth then put the remainder in the fridge for lunches. CREDIT moi. Really like that I went after all my veggies first. What a change for me.

maryblu - Waving. Congrats for your Twins pulling their whole season out of a hat in the bottom of the twelfth!! Good game for the story telling.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Amazing story of your friends learning that they were chosen two days before the kid was born. Big Kudos to your DH for being so empathic, and Kudos to you for choosing the guy. And, of course, thanks and <blush>.

Robin (RobinW) - Wow, progress on all fronts. Congrats for surviving at the shop after "all ****" broke loose. And then progress on the loo and the workout buddy. Where did you get your venison roast?

Sending de-cluttering vibes from a world champion clutterer. The challenge for me is that shuffling isn't enough, you gotta actually toss something.

Anne (wndranne) - You remind me that real contentment is just the knowing that we're on the path. Congratulations.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for posting; that's the hardest thing to do when you feel you don't have many credits to give yourself. And Kudos for thinking about picking up the Beck book and getting back on track. Sending supportive thoughts your way.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Ouch for sick; sending virtual chicken soup which my grandmother believed cured everything. Have a nice weekend in Oregon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ah, the explorer posts from the untamed wilderness. Lovely scene at a rest stop with your snack instead of a convenience store. Hope the trip continues well.

Jay (JayEll) - Good luck on your ten days in San Francisco - one of the world's best cities. Love your Response, "Even if I am hungry, I do not have to eat off-plan foods." And love the analogy to an observant not eating pork even if hungry.

Beach Patrol - Gotta love the Response, "I'm NOT in the Food Olympics!" Kudos for eating slowly - that's a hard one to master after a lifetime of fast chomping.

Shepherdess - Kudos for going running in the "wild wyoming winds" despite the Sabotaging Thoughts that you shouldn't. And Kudos for eating slowly - apparently today's topic in Beckland.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
If your doctor gave you an antibiotic
to get rid of a bad infection, would you take only
half the pill?
Of course not. Likewise, don't try
to take shortcuts with this program.
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 61.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 'Lo, Beckies

It sounds as if everyone is rolling along pretty well.

Thanks, BillBE and JayEll, for indulging my Minnesoda sports pride. Since the weather switch turned a week ago from a once-in-life-time-sweet-September-summer-gift to 20 degrees below normal and ceaseless rain, my sense of humor has been sorely stressed and MIA. On the other hand, the sun on the west bank of the lake just now showed an amazing fall blaze. Oops..gone, glad I caught it!

I am taking the declutter pledge with you, BillBE and Robin. Gonna get after it..have started..baby steps..a bag of clothes for Goodwill in each trip to town..throwing more junk, etc. It strikes me as interesting it was much easier to break the clean -your -plate habit than it is to break the packrat/clutter habit. The clutter habit is a form of mindless behavior all of its own. It also strikes me how much an organized person has to love a packrat to put up with it.

It *is a leap of faith to give away size 8s!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #53  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

maryblu~ it is a mindless behaviour! Drives me bonkers! Good luck with your decluttering too!

Bill~Ive been good and getting about 3 garbage bags of "stuff" out of the house. Mind you the 2 bags of cloths sat in the trunk of the car for a few weeks until I remembered to stop at goodwill and drop them off I have one bag being worked on! I even bought more garbage bags

The venison roast came from our landlord at the shop. He's a great guy! Even stops in when he hasnt heard from us in a while and wants to know whats going on, how everything is going and if we need anything done. We told him we would be happy to help him make room in his freezer before he heads out for hunting season again

Food again isnt horrible but could be better. (more veggies) Exercise was a trip to home depot, then to lowes, then back to home depot because lowes didnt have what we wanted. Today's exercise......towel rack shopping!

Have a great afternoon everyone!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #54  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi all! welcome another new person! yay!

last night, i had a great plan, and went over my calories anyway. oh well...i had also burned about 200 more on the treadmill than i had planned, so the final deficit was only slightly smaller than on a perfect OP day. credit moi!

otherwise, still just rollin' along. PMS is over - don't want to get too TMI on you but i'm feeling happy and optimistic about my plumbing behaving exactly as i expect it to. which means, we're all go for the next round of TTC, and despite my advanced maternal age (UGH) i see no signs of perimenopause. all points north, as my insane scottish friend used to to say.

am in the process of scheduling an informational interview with an interior designer for a class project. very, very excited by this. i identified an architectural firm which is hot and heavy into PMI (project management institute, where i hold a certification) and they're going to call me back and either grant me the interview or refer me to someone else (with whom i can use their name as referent.) yay. i also got scheduled for a reading with none other than ms. mary occhino, psychic radio hostesss on siriusxm. it's at the beginning of december. call me nutty but the lady works regularly with deepak chopra and is reputed to be the real deal. i only get 30 minutes so have started to write down all my questions. pretty cool, huh?

off to buy my 165 lb charm (after MONTHS and MONTHS.) lookout, BMI of 30! you're next!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #55  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Did 6,000+ and Zumba, yay! Tracked food, credit. Passed on chips with my lunch, and cheese on my sandwich at dinner, credit. Calories less than yesterday, credit. Working on the sabotaging thought that "Once the calories go up, they'll just keep going up"--through sheer momentum?? Well, I need to get to bed. Good night!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #56  
Green Tomatoes

My day went well. I did minimal conference activities, lots of exercise in the hotel pool, and some serious relaxing in the hot tub. I was able to eat all my own food (except popcorn from the lobby -- a snack that I planned). At the moment, I'm thinking "wonder if I can do this again next month?" Back home tomorrow night!

WI: none (feels weird), Exercise: +90, 357/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

Shepherdess: Welcome! Way to go in getting your exercise in windy Wyoming!

Walking Princess: glad your on the mend -- that sounds like a nasty bit of illness. Hope your trip is great!

BillBlueEyes: love that you are truly appreciating your vegetables -- thanks for sharing that. I'm going to remember that!

maryblu: Congrats for giving away those size 8s. That's the way to start a decluttering project!

RobinW: Did you finally find a towel rack? That many trips would involve quite a bit of walking since those stores are so large. Especially if you park at the end of the parking lots.

kuhljeanie: Congrats for hitting the next mini-goal! You've got lots of exciting stuff going on!

Nuxmaga: good job on the exercise and the shrinking calories!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #57  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

we found satisfactory towel racks at target (of all places) But still not exactly what we wanted without having to spend $300 on 4 racks! We bought what we found and thought a google search would find us what we were looking for without having to give up any arms or legs! So far.........no luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #58  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post checking in

Hello Coaches. Long time no see. welcome to all the new folks.

I can't exactly tell you where I am at so I'll just write it out and we'll see.

I am starting to think about a foodplan for myself. I want something that will work (duh) and something stable and ordinary and so I am thinking of creating a series of meals for a two week rotation. I need to make a list of what meals I/we like and want and then figure out how much will satisfy a specific calorie count. At least this is what I think I am going to do. I need to remove the thinking/choosing and the spontaneity out of my food for awhile.

I also stumbled across this site http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html giving you a program of working up to swimming a mile nonstop. It reminds me of the couch-to-2K program but since i have zero interest in running and free access to a smallish pool this may be my motivator. I don't feel very motivated right now but maybe once I get there I will like to have a purpose and a goal to reach. I'm kind of like that so this may be a good exercise strategy.

After an extremely demanding and busy year, my obligations are now on the wane. DH's brother got married this past weekend and now there is some pressure, oddly enough, on us to tie the knot. We are about to hit 18 years together, celebrating our first date anniversary on Halloween, and I have often entertained the idea of inviting our families to a "party" to celebrate 20 years together and surprise! we get marrried. don't know if this will come to pass but it's as close as I've ever got to thinking about getting married. We'll see. Maybe.
But I digress. What I am really trying to say is the focus of my life can now be back on me and while I have some deadlines to meet still, they are manageable and will pass by the end of the month. It's a good time to try to start to lose weight again. Unfortunately I now have an additional 25lbs to get off to be where I was at the beginning of the year but oh well. Maybe next time I won't have the need to stress eat as much.

Better go--I'm tired.
Have a restful night Becksters.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-07-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #59  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dropped by the manager's office at my Bally's gym, as I do from time to time anyway, to show off my red over black "uniform" and threaten to apply for a job as a trainer. He promptly threatened to hire me. Whoa! It's just trash talk, but I was expecting a response like being threatened to be used as a bar bell. The point for me is that I forget that after dropping 80 pounds and four years of regular gym I look more like a trainer than my own body image of the Michelin Man. CREDIT moi for recognizing that I have work to do on body image.

maryblu - Ouch for your Twins finding the Yanques with hot bats last night, but Congrats on holding them to a tie for the first part of the game. The Red Sox Nation hasn't done that well with them of late. And Kudos for making progress on your clutter - I so need to be reminded to actually move some stuff out.

By-the-by, what's the story of the Lake Nymph in Diaphanous Gown in your new avatar?

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on earning your next charm - you really earned that one. Yay for "all points north" - gonna steal it; it sounds so positive. You blow me away hooking up with a "psychic radio hostess;" can't wait to hear the story.

onebyone - Kudos for surviving your BIL's wedding despite collecting some pressure to join the great marital bliss. The surprise wedding idea is a real kick; everyone would think your "costumes" as bride and grown were "so cute" until Wagner's "Here Comes the Bride" burst from the speakers and the minister intoned "Dearly Beloved," LOL.

Good luck with your plan for couch-to-one-mile swimming; thanks for the link. I dream of chasing that idea since my single attempt to use the pool at my gym was disappointing when I fatigued so quickly. I'm a little dubious about the six weeks since, after four years, I'm still waiting for my "Six Weeks to Six Pack Abs," LOL.

Robin (RobinW) - Three Kudos for three bags of "stuff" and one more for Home Depot Hiking - you're on you way with the ol' Towel Rack Diet there, LOL. Neat landlord for supplying venison roast.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for passing on the chips and cheese; I think it's the little victories that reset the brain into thinking like a thin person. Creative Sabotaging Thought that calories will keep going up by "momentum." Anne (wndranne) is the physicist around here, but I reckon that since calories do have mass, they would have momentum, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ah, the wilderness explorer took 90 courageous minutes to swim the raging river before crawling up the bank to nibble her pemmican along with some manna offered by the natives to win her favor. And already planning next month's adventure, presumably to new lands.

Readers -
Quote:
day 2
Pick Two Reasonable Diets

The specific primary diet you choose doesn't matter, as long as it's healthy and well-balanced. You can choose a diet from a book, a Web site, a national health organization (such as one that promotes a diet that is healthy for your heart), a hospital or weight-loss clinic, or a commercial organization.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 63.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #60  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies May I say once again that I'm glad you are all here. The more days I string together, the easier it gets. Note that easier is not easy. So stringin' 'em I do. And my reward is my first new postpartum low in months. Huzzah. I'm about to flip a moderately major digit, and not in a bad traffic kind of way.

And while my current internet lockdown is not allowing time for full personals, I do feel obligated to give BillBE a major OUCH on the calories have mass statement. I'll be cringing for a week on that one, LOL! I suppose in the end though, it is no worse than the "It is the Earth (and not me) that gained mass through meteor impact, hence the rise in the force (weight) between us as measured by my scale" theory, that from time to time I find myself subscribing to.

Onward, on plan, and on time!

Anne
Closed Thread