Fixed weekly meal plans

• I'm a month into my new life and am finding it hard to plan sensible meals (especially evening meals) for each day. There are just too many variables to juggle!

So I thought I would try having a fixed meal plan - Sunday this, Monday that, etc. So then I can keep at least something fixed.

Only I have no idea where to begin! Does anyone here have any tips, or useful links? I need to keep to about 1500-1600 calories each day.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer
  • Most of us hear do have planned meals, and we all do it in a variety of ways.

My husband and I have a fixed meal plan with lots of flexibility. Pasta night for example could mean anything from spaghetti and meatballs to lasagna, or risotto. We just want to make sure we're covering all the major food groups and planning veggies for every meal. We don't omit any food groups, but I do measure all my food and exercise portion control. I know pasta night sounds like a luxury but I limit it to 300grams for my serving.

Monday - Vegetables and legumes. Usually steamed leafy greens and yellow split pea puree

Tuesday - Seafood night (usually a piece of fish accompanied by some vegetable and starch.

Wednesday - Chicken or Salad night (grilled chicken breast with veggies, or a big old salad)

Thursday - Soup night

Friday - Pasta night

Saturday - Wild Card

Sunday - Roast or long prep (since I have lots of time on Sundays I like to cook something that takes a long time or has lots of prep time.)
  • Thanks so much for your reply, it's really helped. I did a brain dump over on my blog and wonder if folks might comment on it so far? I haven't got anything for the weekend yet, so if there's something I'm really missing...

Monday: pasta with mince/meatballs and sauce. Maybe with vegetables added in the sauce too?
    Tuesay: salad (leafy greens, chicken breast, mozzarella, boiled egg, pineapple chunks, cherry tomatoes)

Wednesday: soup with small bread roll. And maybe a teeny bit of butter on the roll.
    Thursday: vegetables and potatoes, maybe with a sauce.
    Friday: steamed fish with veggies and rice.
    Saturday: ???
    Sunday: ???
  • sparkpeople.com offers menu plans for free.

After I plan out my week I also write down at least 2 Go To Meals that are fast & easy in case life gets in the way or I don't feel like eating what's on the menu for the day. Having planned substitutions really helps stay on track.