Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/185.4/140

Height: 5'5"

Talking Currently Reading The Younger Thinner You Diet

It has been tough to put this book down! Author is Dr Eric Braverman, and as I read I could imagine he must have been following me around!
He says there are four brain chemicals (at least 4 main ones): dopamine, acetylcholine, GABA and serotonin. If we are low or imbalanced in them, i affects our health and weight. He uses specific foods, tea and spices to boost the levels of brain chemistry.
As he describes what it's like to be low on each chemical, it's spooky to see myself on the pages - yes, I am going on this program. Starting already to follow the general principles as best I can. Turns out I am low on all 4, especially dopamine and acetylcholine. Added ginger to my tea this morning (he says don't be shy with the spices - shake it like you mean it!), flaxmeal to my shredded wheat and pumpkin pie spice blend to my orange (we're out of allspice).
Will watch calories as well, though - down to 179.6 this morning!
NewMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

That book sounds very interesting! I'm putting it on hold at my library (it also seems to be pretty popular! Hopefully the wait won't be long).
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Sounds good! But don't forget that the concept of low brain chemicals is ONLY a theory -- there are no tests that will tell you IF you are indeed low or unbalanced in these brain chemicals. It isn't like diabetes, where you can measure your blood sugar and get a number.

So just keep in mind that what this guy is saying is essentially unproved in human subjects. And make sure that any supplements you take are normal foods, not supplements in pill form that aren't regulated in terms of content or concentration.

Let us know how it goes!!!

kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote