Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #91  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default hi all

still feeling punky, but i was struggling with sleep last night. it happens frequently on baseball nights. hard to wind down coming straight from a game. there’s only 4 more games this season. they’re wonderful and i’ll miss them but it will also be wonderful to use that time for other things (like a drawing or painting class.)

new GPS has been ordered, and will be dropping the car at the shop at lunchtime today for cleanup and repairs. the window guys are going directly to the shop. figured out yesterday that yeah, it’s a hassle, and no, i wasn’t planning on a new GPS (actually more expensive than my deductible – am clinging to that) but the thing that really got me is that i don’t feel safe parking my car and going to work. it’s not like i’ve got a choice of places to leave it; the building is part of a campus and the lots already extend more than a mile outward. plus, after talking to the cop, the whole area seems to be bad. so. not feeling secure. which made me think about that “i don’t have enough food – i won’t be able to get enough food – i should buy more food – i should eat more food so i won’t possibly be without later” feeling which has inspired me so many times to over-buy and over-order and over-pack and overeat. even more fundamental than barraging my brain with the advantages of losing weight seems to be this primal need to secure enough food. strikes me that it’s at the root of so many of my counter-productive eating behaviors, and the main difference in thinking between strugglers and non-strugglers with weight. non-strugglers don’t think much about it, don’t obsess, don’t worry, because they don’t have this basic underlying fear of scarcity. i hoard food – in the pantry, in the fridge, in the freezer, in my lunchbag, in my body.

it’s easy to see the survival value of a hardcore fear of food scarcity. i don’t believe (in my own case, anyway) that it’s a chemical addiction. my lizard brain is completely convinced that the food could run out at any time, and i need to be prepared. i’m sure that a lot of beck behavior mod addresses this in one form or another, but i think i want to really dig down and find those techniques that focus on this. i know it’s a bit of a departure from the structured program but this is something i want to play with a little bit.

anyway, i have actual work to do today (huzzah!) so i can’t spend a lot of time on personals – but onebyone, yep! – about the kid thing. imagine working all day and then coming HOME to that! weekends too!

cheers, all. hoping everyone has a great day.

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 08-13-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #92  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post more

kuhljeanie wrote:
Quote:
“i don’t have enough food – i won’t be able to get enough food – i should buy more food – i should eat more food so i won’t possibly be without later” feeling which has inspired me so many times to over-buy and over-order and over-pack and overeat. even more fundamental than barraging my brain with the advantages of losing weight seems to be this primal need to secure enough food. strikes me that it’s at the root of so many of my counter-productive eating behaviors, and the main difference in thinking between strugglers and non-strugglers with weight. non-strugglers don’t think much about it, don’t obsess, don’t worry, because they don’t have this basic underlying fear of scarcity. i hoard food – in the pantry, in the fridge, in the freezer, in my lunchbag, in my body.
My own form of this is "I must eat all of this RIGHT NOW because there won't be more later." I can clearly recall being a small kid and going grocery shopping once a month. My grandparents and I would fill two shopping carts for the three of us. Then, as soon as most of the groceries were put away it was a feeding frenzy for me. I would eat this and that and this and more of this and almost all of that, all the "good stuff", sharing in the food love with my grandmother. Usually after three days all the "good stuff" was gone and it was back to eating all the very large Hungarian food my grandmother cooked from scratch, offered to me with great love and an insistence that I have more--you can never have too much. Indeed. I never did feel that I ever had too much, or enough.

This afternoon and this morning I had snacks. And this afternoon I actually asked myself "are you hungry?" it was a fairly clear "no" but I ate it anyway. I am eating over my anxiety of driving to see my family tomorrow and the graveside internment and seeing my mother -- actually never mind the people I simply haven't ever driven there before, on my own, and back. 1.5hrs. Guess there's a first time for everything. I'm determined to do it and things will be how they are you know? I have mixed reports of how "bad" my mother is now--if her Alzheimer's has progressed or what so I'll see for myself what's up with that...but it's kind of a tough day to assess this stuff. A very tension-filled sad event so my mother is bound to be more absent-minded than normal.

Anyway, this is my worry/concern and it's what's driving my extra food consumption today. I think I'm done with it now but I felt the frenzy of "get it while you can" beneath the behaviour. Thanks for the memory jog kuhljeanie.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink Getting back in the loop...

I just want to make a quick ‘trip report’ from the Rapid City airport. We had a great time. Although it was quite a drain on my DH driving back and forth to Rapid City from the lodge every day (2.5 hours round trip). We all enjoyed the Hills, and my DS was proud and excited to show them off to his SO. The ladies had a great time, although MIL was definitely more easily tired this trip. But she’s still doing amazingly well under the circumstances. My DH and I will return for Thanksgiving, and DH is likely to come once more before then.
The trip was a great success from an exercise perspective. I exercised as much or more than I do at home every day (except travel days like today). I look forward to doing our favorite hikes next year. DH and DS did Harney Peak yesterday. After taking a walk around Sylvan Lake, DS’s SO and I hiked the first 20% or so to meet them on their way back down. We startled them by jumping out of the bushes – and all had a good laugh. I was stiff today, but not bad. I think with ‘training’ I can get up to speed on the bigger hikes.
My goal on this trip was to eat reasonably and mindfully. For the most part I succeeded quite well. I ordered food carefully to reduce fat and calories, and always left food on my plate. CREDIT I had dessert three times, so that was more than necessary. Oh well… We had chips in the room where I could see them (at home they are in the pantry, cloaked with an invisibility spell – hi Bill!) Three nights I chowed on them hard. Ouch! But my DH promises to hide the chips in a man-sized safe on future trips. And I’ll bone up on my invisibilty spells…
Update: We were offered an opportunity to get free tickets if we stayed in Chicago overnight. We took it and got 2 free ticket vouchers and hope to use them to get tickets to visit Rapid City for Thanksgiving. I’ve eaten well today and hope to stick to it here at the hotel.
NSV: The seat belts on the planes I’ve ridden on this week have a lot more slack than I’ve had in years. I remember looking at my seatbelt last November and seeing I had only a couple inches to spare. I wondered what I was going to do when I could no longer buckle my seat belt on a plane. I had 12-18” to spare today, so no problem! I also don’t infringe on the personal space of the passengers sitting next to me anymore. I always felt incredibly uncomfortable when my arms would touch the arms of my seatmate, at least when that seatmate was not also my DH. . It was quite rewarding to stay well within the dimensions of my seat.
Trish (pattygirl63) Nice to hear from you! I’m glad that IE and Beck are working for you.

Kuhljeanie Man you had a seriously lousy day yesterday. CREDIT for overeating as a reaction to it. I think CBT is a great way to address the kinds of thoughts you are having. Like Beck there’s ‘work’ involved, including specifying the thoughts, rating how close to reality those thoughts are, and asking yourself the question ‘What’s the worst that can happen if I don’t buy food today?’ etc. I don’t know if that helps, but I think you are on the right track.

one by one It’s really cool that you are getting used to walking up and down stairs! Credit for choosing to do that instead of using the elevator sometimes. for hitting your mini-goal and then dropping even more weight!

Ouch for emotional eating today. I hope your day tomorrow is not too stressful…

Margaret Kudos for a late walk, and for no impulsive eating.

Bill Sounds like you had fun at the ball game. But is baseball turning into ice hockey? Credit for the good food choices at the game, and for fighting off sabotaging thoughts with a HP curse!

I didn’t see many birds in SD. We did see some large birds flying very high, several times. They weren’t bald eagles, but may have been another kind of eagle or a large hawk. This morning I saw two little birds (sparrows? Wrens?) discussing something quite important on our balcony. On the other hand, we did see a lot of Pronghorns and Bison. We saw a dozen or so Mule Deer, and 3 Yellowtail Deer. We did not see the elusive Mountain Goat or Big Horned Sheep. (oh well…)

Erika Kudos for losing 2 lbs. Credit for being op and leaving food on your plate. It’s always hard to leave sushi behind… And I’m glad to hear the sleeping and mental prowess both seem to be getting better. BTW – Body Worlds has been touring the US, my son saw it in Cincinnati and raved about it several times. Perpaps it’s coming to Toronto, or Hamilton?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hello,

It was a much better day today. My son is not as freaked out as yesterday. I had to really keep him busy though, it was hard! We had a campout tonight for a while and had some marshmallows on a graham cracker (I had to skip my snacks today so I would have enough calories). I took him to an indoor playground with this best friend and that really cheered him up too. My exercise plans again fell through due to having to do a few more things than normal for my little guy. He's worth it though. I did do 15 minutes today though because Dr. Beck always says to do "even 5 minutes as to not break your exercise habit". Credit for moi! My eating was on plan too which luckily despite everything going on, I stayed within my calorie range, yea!!!

Bill - great job on getting your lentils in - twice! At least you can say you eat very healthy! lol. Sounds like you are doing great at the gym too!

Erika - don't worry about the scale. It can just be you are retaining some fluids or just your body chemistry for the day. Hang in there, you are doing great!

OnebyOne - sounds like you've got a great plan for your business! I'll bet you will sell lots of things! :-) Enjoy your day and stay positive!

ChinaMaine - so glad you had a nice trip. Good to have you back. You did great with your eating on the trip - especially when you are eating out so much. I think it's awesome you were able to leave food on your plate so many times. Great job!

Off to bed. Let's hope I can finally sleep tonight, I'm exhausted!

Kara

Jeannie - I feel so bad for what happened to you yesterday that is just awful I think it's great that you didn't turn to food despite what had happened. I don't know if I would have been that strong. Way back in the old days, humans used to hoard food like there was no tomorrow because they didn't know if they would have enough for winter and other times since food was more scarce. I think that we are pre-wired for that in a way if that makes any sense? So I can understand your situation with that. Sending big
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Busy at work so didn't remember my morning snack. Just Wow, since I count on that snack for Beck's notion to deflect all desires to eat with knowing that a snack was or would be within a few hours. Then had lunch late. Then worked too late to have both my walk and my afternoon snack before dinner, so chose my walk. Sorta Oh Well for being off plan with two skipped snacks, but CREDIT moi for, rather unexpectedly, taking that in stride without believing that I'm suffering from hunger.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats for taking the steps to get your car repaired. Ouch that it's such a PITA, as most auto repairs are. Yea for being busy at work.

Interesting thoughts about your "lizard brain" hoarding food. I certainly got the food-hoarding addiction. There is strong appeal to me to have a backup container of everything in the pantry; just feels good. My DW, on the other hand, enjoys having a less crowded pantry and only buys what she needs to take her to next weeks shopping.

onebyone - Yea for paycheques; beware, they're addictive. Kudos for thinking ahead to sales for xmas 2010. Rather obviously, that's onebyone-thinking going on. Neat to think about a website.

Sending supportive thoughts for driving to your aunt's interment and all the emotions that go with family interactions.

ChinaMaine - Welcome back! Your trip sounds both delightful and healthy. Yea that your MIL is still healthy enough to participate. Love the story of climbing up partway to startle your DH and DS. Kudos for exercising more each day - it's great that you got your body ready to be able to do that.

Ouch for the chips; LOL at your notion of "invisibility spell" - gotta try that with some stuff around here that catches my attention.

Neat seeing "Pronghorns and Bison ... a dozen or so Mule Deer, and 3 Yellowtail Deer." I'd love to see Pronghorns; hadn't heard of yellow tail deer. LOL at your birds discussing something of importance.

Erika (eusebius) - Thanks for the explanation about olive oil in the Shargri-La diet. Neat that it's working for you. Kudos for eating dinner without distraction; I'm not there myself.

Your comment, "...but have little desire for more (unless I smell chocolate cake)" reminds me that one of the thinnest women I know has the (I assume rare) no sense of smell. I'd never before thought of that as affecting her size before your comment today. I wonder if that's true for all people who don't have the sense of smell.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Neat that you put out the extra dose of parenting to help your DS be less freaked out missing his dad. Love the idea of a backyard campout with graham crackers and marshmallows. Kudos for doing your 15 minutes of exercise to not break the habit; gotta remember that myself when I'm entertaining all the thoughts about why it's impossible.

Readers -
Quote:
the solution at a glance
. . .
• The way you think - seeing hunger as an emergency, overestimating the discomfort and duration of cravings, underestimating how thin people restrict their eating - makes it more difficult for you to stick with a diet.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 43.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #96  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

Once again OP with food and exercise. Once again up a half pound. I know that obsessing about this is a manifestation of the yeti. Doesn't make it easier, but I'm going to get that oversized varmint. (Cue Bill Murray in Caddyshack: Varmint Cong!)

Today: cardio, and a recording session with a tenor. Then DD has a sleepover at her daycare ... a most brilliant innovation which I recommend to all daycares! DH and I will go to a fine Italian restaurant for dinner. I have already devised my plan of attack ... wish me luck!

onebyone - have you considered opening a store on etsy.com? It seems very easy and folks can buy your stuff with paypal directly. I buy fiber and yarn from people on etsy quite a lot.

kuhljeanie - what a great insight about food scarcity. I think a response card, at least, would definitely be in order ... would love to know what you come up with.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for doing so very well with food and exercise on your trip!! Free plane tickets are a great bonus. Nice feeling to have the seatbelts fit you comfortably again. I just noticed that we are very nearly the same height and weight right now ... cool! We can inspire each other with our success

Not sure if Body Worlds is hitting Toronto or H-town. Must check their site - good point!

Kara - Kudos for OP food and exercise (I love the 15 minute approach)!! SO glad you had a better day. Thanks for the kind and wise words about the scale ... I will try to remember!

Bill - Wow, what a feeling to forget to eat and then realize it later! I am hoping to experience this sometime soon Completely fascinating about the thin woman with no sense of smell. SOme of the people on the Shangri-La forums (boards.sethroberts.net) actually wear a swimmer's noseclip to eat some of their food - apparently if you consume flavourless or bland calories at a meal, you have less desire later to eat.

Off to enjoy the morning quiet - vipassana followed by coffee. Have a fabulous Friday!
cheers
Erika
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #97  
persist

Question Friday morning

Good Morning Coaches

I am reminded to stick to the foodplan this morning by my upper thigh muscles. They are tingling today. *sigh* I need this weight offa my body! All that walking/moving and stair climbing and my legs did not hurt once. Here I am, day two spent mostly at rest and they are. What's up with that? Guess my body wants to move is all I can figure...or I am more distracted while at work keeping up with teenage co-workers (all around 16) and trying not to let my "old ladieness" show. So far, it's mostly tucked in

yesterdays credits:
1) planned exercise: walked to art store from bank and then to bus stop carrying a bundle of canvases.

today's credit
: weighed in once, -0.8lbs (269.8)
credit for printing out and planning to take the "rural route" back from my mother's place this afternoon. I will bite the bullet and drive the pavement dominated freeway to her house, but will take the la-de-da way back home to see cows and farms and crops and ruralness on windy country roads. I tried this once before with DH but there's a weird little slight turn you need to remember to do that I never remember so we end up on the freeway to come home after all. THIS time, I have written directions! Credit for planning some fun into an otherwise demanding and somber day.

This will be my first trip driving to my mother's by myself. DH could have come but there is no need for him to do that. I have to become more confident in my driving and there's only one way to get that; to do it. I am loosely planning to travel to out of town festivals next year with my artwork and DH can't come as he works on the weekends when these shows are so I will have to drive myself then. Better to get comfortable with this kind of thing sooner rather than later.

Gotta run. Will check back later. There is pizza perhaps today so will plan to have one slice, two if I am truly starving. Two is max.

bye.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-14-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #98  

Height: 5'7"

Anybody know where I lost my commitment, because I can't seem to find it for more than a couple hours at a time. Still I struggle on. Two steps forward, two steps back.

Anne
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #99  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default friday, finally! thank freakin' goodness.

anne, you're still with us! at the end of the day, that's success! i should think two steps forward and back would count as exercise. if nothing else, it's not moving backwards. i'm finally wise enough to understand what a victory that is. chin up, lady! what's an advantage that really moves you? can you tell us about it? onebyone, good observation about moving your body. i also just feel better when i'm moving around more. erika, i feel ya! am wondering how to work with my own yeti instead of fighting her. she's pretty strong. bill, echoing the others - you FORGOT to eat your snack? you pretty much just snagged yourself a unicorn, partner. wow. i know people who say they've done it, but not foody-people like me. wow. a shining beacon of the light of possibility... and thanks so much kara! it's all good...just need to focus on the positive, like the amazing features of the garmin 855T that i didn't have before. (voice recognition! bluetooth! audible books and mp3 player!) i did end up going over my calories by 140, which is (oddly) the exact number of cals in a dark chocolate and cherry bar that one might eat at 9:00 pm instead of working out. funny thing, that.

planning a dinner out with the family and my mom. all her suggestions are pretty much calorie bombs, so i'm online, researching the best options and once i've decided will close the book with a "no choice." i'm getting to the end of the window for getting myself healthy for a potential nino #2 - time to get serious about my commitment. still thinking about my intense fear of scarcity and ways to counter it, since it doesn't seem to live in my rational mind, but somewhere deeper. am thinking about NPL to re-program the lower levels. that or hypnosis, maybe? hm.

looking forward to a hot, humid summer weekend at kings island with el nino, while DH does his thing at a lakehouse with some buddies. i hope he can relax a little. i'm going to be on vacation just for saturday and sunday.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #100  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Anybody know where I lost my commitment, because I can't seem to find it for more than a couple hours at a time. Still I struggle on. Two steps forward, two steps back.

Anne

I think you and I have stepped into some sort of vortex.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Happy Friday everyone!

My little guy is finally settling down again. He did very well today, almost back to normal DH will be home again in 2 days. We've been able to talk to him every day. He is having lots of fun although he got bit by a wasp today while hiking!

Anyway, I ate on plan for breakfast. For lunch, a lady in my department had won free lunch for the department from Chipotle. I thought carefully about it and ordered a chicken burrito with only chicken, salsa, and black beans in it (no cheese, sour cream or guac) and then I only ate half of it and gave the rest to one of my friends. Big huge credit!! I checked the nutrition info and it was only 365 calories and 9g fat! I was so proud of myself and I was perfectly content with the amount of food I ate. Dinner was op too so I am so happy! I had cramps this afternoon and didn't feel like exercising but I made myself do a 30 minute workout since most of the week had been sketchy on the exercise due to my crazy schedule this week. I was glad I did.

Onebyone - yes, your body LOVES to move! It is so good for you! Great job on your weight loss again today! How did you do with the pizza in the office today?

Bill - I think it's still a credit even though you missed your snacks. Yes, that part isn't the best, but the fact that you weren't in a panic thinking you were going to starve to death (that was what I used to do) is a huge credit! Great job! And you are op with exercise too so great job!

Erika - enjoy the time with your dh while your dd is at the sleepover Great job staying op with the food and exercise!

Robin & Anne - so sorry to hear you are struggling. I don't know if this would help, but when that happens to me, I just refocus by reading my ARCs several time and I read every single one until I feel better

Jeannie - great job on pre-planning your dinner out. I know you will do great!

Talk to you all later. Have a good evening!

Kara
Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #102  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Morning Coaches -

OK, I think I may have achieved something of a breakthrough today. Two keys for me:
a) measuring portions
b) eating without distractions
The second is clearly very important - I eat much less and feel full much sooner. Imagine going out to a fine Italian restaurant and finding yourself down a pound the next morning! That's what I experienced today.
Also, we decided to walk to & from the restaurant instead of driving (allowing DH to really enjoy his wine, which is great since I only wanted one glass out of the bottle - LOL). That was 40 min of spontaneous exercise - credit! Then I ate absolutely no bread (all those breadbasket examples from Beck came back to my mind), about a 1/3 of a small antipasto appetizer, and no more than 1/2 of my whole wheat pasta entree - credit.
Today: a children's festival with DD on the shores of Lake Ontario. A gorgeous sunny day is forecast for us here - I'm excited!

onebyone - Credit for all the exercise you're doing, planned or unplanned! How great that your body wants to move now ... go with it!!

wndranne - I hear ya. Most of this past year, that's how I felt. Your mojo will return, I know it. Hang in there! Meanwhile, two steps forward and two steps back sounds like a line from my '90s Kathy Smith aerobics videos

kuhljeanie - credit for researching restaurant options online! NLP does seem to work on a very deep level ... could be a good option for you. Hope your weekend with el nino is fun & relaxing.

RobinW - LOL at the "vortex". I'm imagining you and wndranne dressed up as Trinity and Neo in their über-cool black uniforms. Very slimming

Kara - Big kudos for eating OP and finding a great lunch option at Chipotle! Fantastic! Glad to hear your little guy is settling down a bit.

Bill - LOL, I think I got up earlier than you today. I would never have predicted that a couple of weeks ago! Hope your Friday was great.

DD is still at the sleepover - we pick her up at 10 AM - so a few hours of real quiet are now all mine! Have a great weekend all!

cheers
Erika
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ate appropriately at diner last night; CREDIT moi. The two kids were over with their SO's for steak and corn on the patio with pineapple for dessert. The menu was planned around a bottle of the new THICK Worcester Sauce that I had bought on sale because I wanted to taste the stuff. DS didn't bother waiting for the steak, he sampled it on a lime flavored chip, which I then tried. Kinda neat - got the feeling of eating a steak with a cracker, LOL. If you need to know, it tastes like A1 Sauce.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, even though I had to rush home for my part in preparing for dinner. Concentrated on NOT comparing myself to the guy using 80# dumbbells or to the guy doing a dozen pull ups. Or to the woman who was effortlessly doing warm up stretches on the mat that I will never be able to duplicate. Nope, not me, didn't even notice.

Yesterday's email from the Beck Institute (anyone can sign up for their mailing list on www.beckinstitute.org) looking for a woman of color in her thirties who has lost weight using Beck and kept it off for a year or more. If you want the contact info, email me,

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Happy vacation for the weekend. Kudos for doing your homework before your family dinner and planning to cast a NO CHOICE at the affair.

Interesting to think of NLP to reprogram the lizard brain. Have you done NLP before?

onebyone - Sending supportive thoughts for your journey today and for your family interactions.

Congrats on having a body that wants to move; not that's a motivator. Glad that you don't compare yourself to those 16 year olds. Yep, we evolved people wouldn't think of comparing ourselves. Nope we don't, LOL.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch for the vortex thinking. Summer will end; DD will be back in school and your stride will return. Sending supportive thoughts.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for the Texas Two Step. Kudos for keeping in the game even when you wish you were winning more. Methinks there's value in focusing on the things you're doing well to benefit from giving yourself credit - feed that part of you that struggling to get fully onboard. Sending supportive thoughts.

Erika (eusebius) - Continued Kudos for continued OP with food and exercise. But Big Kudos for recognizing that it's your Yeti trying to obsess over the scale wiggle. Vamoose you Yeti!!!

Interesting Shangri-La notion that bland at a meal reduces desire later, which would seem to correlate with all the folks who report eating OP at a tasty restaurant then coming home and eating straight out of the fridge.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Kudos for such a good job facing a FREE lunch at Chipotle's. That's some good Beck planning there. And then going for your exercise despite the Sabotaging Thoughts to skip it.

Yea for the little guy settling down. It's rough being little when the grownups do unpredictable things.

Readers -
Quote:
the solution at a glance
. . .
• No matter what your mindset is like today, you will learn how to change it, not only to lose weight, but also to make sure that you keep it off - permanently.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 43.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #104  
persist

Post Saturday checkin before I start the day

Good Morning Coaches

I'm about to start my day and take off so I thought I'd check in before I get busy.

credit weighed once on the scale (this is still hard! to just step on it once and not 3x!) -0.4 (269.4)

This is totally shocking to me that I am NOT my familiar 270.6 this morning. I ate a fair bit yesterday. My Beck skills weren't really front and center. I still ate even when I knew I wasn't hungry. I questioned it, for a second or two, but the desire for the next round of food/eating won. I only cared about doing that just before I stepped on the scale this morning. perhaps I need to write a response card conjuring up this image for myself. I often DON'T regret overeating right away--I can easily compartmentalize this--but during weigh-in I remember and dread what I did, after I've slept on it. So I think I may be onto something effective for me in this realization.

So I had the graveside event yesterday, saw the family, and I wasn't much of a mingler. I was intent on figuring out how my mother was really doing. She has Alzheimer's, early stages I think, but as DH said he found her "easily confused and easily led. She'd be the perfect target for a scammer." Indeed. And she has three cats and litter boxes in every room of the house; proof she has lost her sense of smell (along with her tastebuds) due to the Alzheimer's meds she takes. She's perfectly lucid and all there and then she'll say "are you still painting?" and come back to the same question 5 or 6 times. It just never seems to sink in--not everything but some things over and over. I will be relieved when she's out of her isolated home and in a senior's care residence. It's worrisome to have her there by herself. Luckily she never cooked so she really doesn't even think of that. BUT she was a big walker, never owned a car until she retired and learned how to drive, so now she'll get it in her head the cats are hungry (there are large bags of cat food in plain sight) and will take off for the grocery store on the other end of her small town. For now, she makes it back, but some day she won't know how to do that.... this is worrisome indeed.

Anyway that's it. I have lots of art work to do today plus a visit to a new farmers market to jury stuff in for me and my friend. We'd like to try it -- it's cheap and he just got a car so I don't have to pay for a rental, just share in the gas. After that I have to complete many things to be ready for the Women's Art festival tomorrow.

Better get at it.

BTW I wanted to report that the class food pusher i mentioned ages ago, who always brought expensive chocolate and biscuits to class and "insisted" we have them, but I never saw her eat any ( due to her "health issues" she claimed) got me again! She had an art opening at the student gallery on Thursday. I went to support her and see her work (and pick up my paycheck too) before I even thought about it I was eating proscuito wrapped around a melonball! Only as I placed the toothpick onto the plate of other used toothpicks did I realize she got me! I had already chosen my food from her offerings and ate them, but she pulled out an empty-but-for-these-two-little-proscuito-you-must-try-them-I-read-they-are-good-for-you-air-dried-blahblahblah *pop* in my mouth more to shut her up about them than that I really wanted it. She's GOOD.

really have to run now. Have a great Saturday...

A special to RobinW and wrdranne I know what it is to not know if you'll ever get back on track or if you want to or what. As Dr. Beck rightly points out many things need to be in place to "do this thing". Just keep checking in... it's happening and you'll soon find yourself on track once more. I promise. to you both.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-15-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Talking Friday Report

It’s wonderful to be home! Moose and the cat seem to like having us home too. On the way home from the airport we stopped and bought fruit, veggies, milk and boneless, skinless chicken thighs (for dinner). We made one of our typical dinners, sat by the lake with Moose, and just celebrated our homecoming.
At sunset, I dragged my DH out to the kayaks (wanting to share the experience of seeing the sunset from the kayak). We paddled around the island. Seeing the sunset, DH was happy to have been dragged out. As I was paddling into the dock, a startled Great Blue Heron flew right in front of us, voicing his displeasure. I gather the big rock next to our dock is his rock. We really should be more considerate…
WI-down 3.25 lbs (10 days since my last weigh-in). I passed my last mini-goal, so my next one is 166 lbs. Did not read my cards or make a plan – I’ll get back into the groove today. Food – op, Exercise – I plan to skip exercise on travel days, so I guess I was on-plan. We did do that 15 min kayak paddle last night though.
one by one I’m sorry about the situation with your Mom, I can understand being worried. Have you selected a senior’s care residence yet?

Ouch for the food pusher – though it seems what she pushed you into wasn’t a big calorie hit… I like your idea of having a RC to remind you what you’ll feel like later should you go off-plan. Very Beckian…

I think it’s kind of neat that your body is letting you know that exercise is good. Oh, and credit for losing more weight!

Bill Sounds like dinner on the patio was fun! My Dad was quite an elitist about steak sauce (‘if you buy GOOD steak, you don’t cover the flavor with steak sauce’). Consequently I will probably never use it; I think I enjoy my feeling of superiority over lesser mortals too much…

Ooops! You caught me, I meant whitetail deer! Jeez…

Erika Kudos for the insights! Both are important to eating more healthfully, I think. Credit for walking to-and-from dinner!

I think it'd be fun to be buddies -- so you are also around 170-ish and 5'4"?

Kara Great job at Chipotle! Isn’t it cool to eat healthfully, feel full, and feel great that you CHOSE to eat that way? One of the things that motivates me is having that feeling of control. (I am a control-freak, so not everyone may feel that way!! )

Anne, Robin I have been there so many times – without motivation and not knowing how to get it back... Posting here, and doing whatever you can to eat well and exercise are probably the best ways to tread water until you have motivation again. Would revisiting Beck’s principles (in book or workbook) help? Or perhaps giving yourself small daily rewards for some behavior you feel is important to getting you back on track?

Kuhljeanie I hope the dinner with your Mom went well, and that you are having fun at King’s Island!

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 08-15-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Closed Thread