3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   What do you eat for breakfast? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/177728-what-do-you-eat-breakfast.html)

Amberlyn 07-28-2009 01:09 AM

What do you eat for breakfast?

Howdy! :)

I need some ideas for healthy breakfast food. Regardless of what plan you follow, I'd be interested to hear your ideas. I need something FAST - as I am not a morning person and as horrible as it is to say, if it comes to sleeping another 15 minutes or cooking something, the snooze button will prevail when I'm half asleep.

I've been eating regular cereals, everything from sugary junk to Cheerios. I need some new ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Windchime 07-28-2009 01:25 AM

I'm not a morning person at ALL. I usually sit in front of the computer for 30 minutes with my tea and my breakfast before I can even think of getting in the shower, and forget cooking--I just won't cook in the morning!

I usually have a bowl of plain cheerios or cornflakes with a banana sliced on top for breakfast, or sometimes I might shake things up and get crazy with the raisin bran. Otherwise, I have a slice of 12-grain toast with peanut butter. I wash it all down with a huge mug of hot tea. That gets me through till mid-morning, and then I have a bar of some kind or maybe a piece of string cheese to get me through till lunch. I love toast and scrambled eggs, but I save that for suppers because I'm just not a morning chef!

MsDiana 08 07-28-2009 01:29 AM

speciaal k. berry flavor.

eggs.

fruit.

(my rooommate made me a big plate of french toast, scrambled eggs and these jumbo bacon strips the other day....I wanted to eat it so bad.
I did sneak 2 peices of bacon. :devil: )

mandalinn82 07-28-2009 01:58 AM

Whole wheat low-carb tortilla, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, wrap around a banana. Quick and portable!

If you have a little more time, you can make a light egg mcmuffin in 5 min. Toast a light english muffin, spray a small tupperware or bowl with cooking spray, put in 1/2 cup of egg white, egg sub, or one whole egg, beaten. Microwave on high 1 min, or until cooked through. Salt and pepper the eggs, place on the toasted muffin, and top with a slice of turkey. Protein-licious!

suefrommars 07-28-2009 07:55 AM

8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
6 ounces of strawberries
1 ounces plain wheat shredded wheat
Mix it up - totally yummy!

daisy5819 07-28-2009 08:08 AM

Fiber one yogurt, 1/2 cup fiber one cereal, banana

Miss Mallee 07-28-2009 01:00 PM

I love shakes!

Crystal light Raspberry Lemonade,
Fat free vanilla yogurt,
3-4 frozen strawberries.

Mix in a blender!

Deana 07-29-2009 08:34 AM

My morning staple is Fiber One Light Multigrain english muffins, each is 100 calories, has a fair amount of protein and fiber in them. I normally have this with a small piece of 2% cheese, and 2 slices of canadian bacon. I buy the little pre-cut 2% cheese slices and each slice is around 27 calories each. Each piece of the canadian bacon I buy is 20 calories each. Then I'll add in a hardboiled egg (70 calories) and some kind of fruit (apple, grapefuit, or blueberries are my staples).

Or I'll have a toasted english muffin with raspberry preserves, an egg, and fruit.

Kashi has high fiber flax seed strawberry waffles that I love. I normally have this with some light syrup and a slice or two of canadian bacon on the weekends.

Plaint oatmeal w/flax and a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips (mmmm) and fruit

And if I'm REALLY in a hurry, I'll grab a smartones egg & cheese muffin (they come frozen and each is about 270 calories), and fruit.

mygritsconfessions 07-29-2009 01:56 PM

I like either whole grain waffles with fruit on top or a smoothie that I make. The store ones tend to have alot of sugar and of course other chemicals I don't need so I make mine.

I use 1/2 organic milk (no fat) 45 calories
1 organic smoothie small from Stoneyfarms 140 calores
Handful of berries
ice
8 almonds (for a little crunch & nutrients) 48 calories

Blend and enjoy. 133 calories (and low sugar)

Calorie total

sharongracepjs 07-29-2009 02:04 PM

Oatmeal w/ peanut butter and banana
Oatmeal with yogurt and peaches/strawberries/bananas/whatever fruit I have, sometimes some granola if I have it
One egg/One egg white omelette with onions and veggies, plus a piece of whole-wheat toast with yogurt spread
Fiber One Light Multigrain english muffin with peanut butter

That's usually enough options to mix-and-match and keep me interested!

Lilbert 07-29-2009 02:21 PM

i eat porrige! not particularly a fan of it, but its super good for you and it does the job. if you dont have much time, soak some oats in skimmed milk, in a bowl, in the fridge overnight, then in the morning just stick it in microwave, eat and your away! add any fruit you fancy.

Amberlyn 07-30-2009 12:55 AM

Thank you all! Tons of great ideas!

ValRock 07-30-2009 01:10 AM

I'm boring. I'm never hungry in the morning so I want something quick that'll give me fiber and protein and get my metabolism going.

I eat a light 'n fit yogurt mixed in with 1/2 cup high fiber cereal (that depends on what looks good when I go shopping) and a handful of berries. It's sweet and filling :).

Madison 07-30-2009 01:13 AM

I zap my porridge in the microwave while I am walking around grumbling that I have to go to work. When done I throw in some dried fruit and crushed brazil nuts.

Crushing the nuts is my fave part - I have them in ziplock snack baggies (so I can grab them for work snacks) and I smash them with the bottle that my supplements come in. Cathartic in dealing with the morning + it reminds me to take my supplements ;)

Me Too 07-31-2009 08:38 PM

Steel oats with berries
or
1 egg and 1 piece of toast

every morning I have a soy smoothie with soymilk, flax, wheat germ, hemp powder and a banana. YUM

Oohpujie 08-01-2009 04:34 PM

When I have absolutely no time, I eat the smart ones stuffed breakfast sandwich. 240 calories, 16 gs of protein, 3g fiber made w/ egg whites, cheese, turkey bacon and vegetables. Pretty tasty and 2 minutes in the microwave.

pattygirl63 08-01-2009 05:11 PM

I like whole grain toast with Natural Peanut Butter when I'm in a hurry or sometimes, I'll just have a bowl of fruit.

Onederchic 08-01-2009 05:34 PM

I normally have 2 eggs with mushrooms, scrambled in a pan with a little pam sprayed on it

1 piece wheat toast with a pat of butter

ernurse 08-01-2009 06:10 PM

After eating oatmeal, low sugar, for about 6 months (days I am at work) I changed to weight watchers bagel (1 Point) and 1 weight watchers low fat cream cheese (1 Point). yes, smaller bagel than what everybody else eats, but I'm actually eating bread and cream cheese.....for breakfast....I do not feel cheated because of the portion size.

femmecreole 08-01-2009 07:18 PM

If I eat something that is mostly grains, I'm starving soon after..
So, on weekdays when I have to work, I take a "turkey sandwich" with me to eat after the gym when I get to work. I make it the night before out of flat out bread, a little olive oil mayo, brown mustard, turkey and LOTS of spinach. I also have a piece of fruit. When I leave in the morning, it's in the fridge packed with my lunch and I can just grab and go! Since I teach school, I don't have time for a snack. That breakfast is so "complete" for me that it keeps my blood sugar on an even keel and I don't get hungry.

On the weekends, it's a big blow out breakfast of eggs over easy stacked on ezekial bread and raw spinach with a little mozzarella cheese, fresh herbs and salsa on the top, chicken sausage and a fruit cup.

cfmama 08-02-2009 03:03 AM

My two "go to" meals for breakfast are

1. Weight watchers whole wheat bagel with 2 laughing cow wedges and a medium banana

2. 1 cup GOOD cereal (Kashi and the like) 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 cup strawberries

danilykins 08-02-2009 03:33 AM

I *usually* have yogurt and maybe some toast. I love yogurt and havent ate it in a long time and one day said to my self.. why not?? So each week I pick up about 5 yogurts :) I think Im gonna add cottage cheese to the mix too..

JoJoP 08-04-2009 11:07 AM

Wonderfully strong french-press coffee with vanilla unsweetened soy milk, a combination of steamed, microwaved, and sauteed veggies (carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, red peppers, brussel sprouts), a little tofu, and a dab of tomato sauce, sprinkled with ancho chili pepper and black pepper. I usually also have 1/4 cup of whole-grain cereal, too.

Aclai4067 08-04-2009 11:13 AM

I eat an english muffin with eggbeaters and 2%milk cheddar cheese

I used to eat bagle and cream cheese every morning. Then I switched to the ww bagels. The first couple days it was okay, but by the end of the bag it felt like punishment to have to eat those. I was about to go back to my old bagels when we had a WW meeting devoted to breakfast and one thing we discussed was the importance of protein. That's when I started the egg eng. muffin sandwich thing.

oh and in regaurds to keeping it fast. I microwave the egg in a small bowl. It's faster, easier to clean than a frying pan, and it makes the egg fit perfectly on the english muffin!

MysticBliss 08-04-2009 11:46 AM

I've started eating a toasted light english muffin with a small amount of grape jam. These are great ideas, I'm writing them down in my meal ideas notebook, thank you all!

whitneyallison 08-04-2009 12:23 PM

yogurt, string cheese, nutrigrain blueberry waffles. I have to eat in the mornings but I always wake up queasy, have since I was a kid.

kuhljeanie 08-04-2009 12:43 PM

a nice trick for getting the protein in is to take a muffin pan, spray it, and pour yer egg whites from the carton straight in. you can add shredded lowfat cheddar, or fakin' bacon, or real bacon, and bake it at about 325 for maybe 20 minutes or so (i never pay attention to how long i cook them - they generally seem to come out okay.) then pop them into a ziploc baggie and freeze. you can toast a muffin or small bagel while you nuke one and have a pretty darn good egg mcmuffin.

BKKchick 08-04-2009 01:35 PM

It's funny, there's no such thing as "breakfast food" here in Thailand. When I walk up the soi (street) outside my place of work in the morning, I'm accosted by the smells of fried fish, fried rice, BBQ pork ribs, and all manner of foods that would never equal "breakfast" for me. It can be quite nauseating!

I usually bring boiled egg whites, apples, yogurt, and almonds to work. The two things I do get from the "local" stalls are rice-noodle soup and fruit. Fruit carts are everywhere you look in Bangkok! They slice up fresh chilled papaya, pineapple, watermelon, guava, water apples, and so many other tropical fruits for you right there, on the spot! It's lovely!

Picture:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3496/...fa390dd2c6.jpg

nelie 08-04-2009 01:39 PM

My breakfast lately has been hot cereal (sometimes oat bran, sometimes bob's red mill high fiber cereal, sometimes something else) with pumpkin puree and spices. This morning I added some agave nectar, yesterday was a piece of banana. I can add soy/almond milk but I've been using water instead. I actually take it to work, heat it up and eat it there.

LookingForMeAgain 08-04-2009 01:45 PM

1/2 cup oats with 1/2 container Yoplait thick n creamy cinnamon roll yogurt (or any but thicker is better)
You can cook several days of oats at atime and just toss em in the fridge in a container and nuke for a minute or so and your ready,

Jensaloser 08-04-2009 01:51 PM

it took me a long time to adjust to eating breakfast within the recommended 60 mins since you wake up. I always got so sick and had no appetite. I finally seemed to find a balance that works. I have 1/4 cup of steel cut oatmeal - no sugar- (or you could have the recommended 1/2 cup but its too much for me that early) prepared with skim milk instead of water, one suggested serving of organic honey, 1/8 cup fresh crushed walnuts & a 1/2 container of organic motts applesauce and I have one and a half egg (one whole egg and a second just using the white) prepared with brummel and brown yogurt butter and a 4oz glass of prune juice. When it comes to breakfast I'm a total creature of habit. I wake up too early to get creative or even care what I eat so this it for a while.

Jensaloser 08-04-2009 01:56 PM

what exactly is porrige?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilbert (Post 2850105)
i eat porrige! not particularly a fan of it, but its super good for you and it does the job. if you dont have much time, soak some oats in skimmed milk, in a bowl, in the fridge overnight, then in the morning just stick it in microwave, eat and your away! add any fruit you fancy.

I am sorry to sound ignorant, I have had Farina (cream-o-wheat to non-italians) and I've heard of grits, I currently eat plain oatmeal.

So what exactly is porrige? And is it healthier than oatmeal? I'd be willing to try it.

Amma 08-04-2009 10:15 PM

My three regular options are:

-2 eggs on whole grain flat bread with low fat cheese
-1/2 cup oatmeal (I think this is about 1.5 cups cooked...) prepared w/ 2 tbsp hemp seeds, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1 tsp honey
-1/2 cup fibre one pancake mix (makes three small pancakes) w/ 1 tbsp honey and 5 slices veggie ham

Each of those works out to about 400 calories and a hefty amount of protein/fiber. I leave for work by 06:30 for a start time of 07:00, and I find if I don't eat a large-ish breakfast before I leave the house I'm more prone to over-eating on garbage food for the rest of the day - by the time my coffee break would roll around I'd be on the prowl for bacon, sugar, and caffeine. :dizzy:

eta: Jensaloser - oatmeal and porridge are the same thing essentially, though porridge can refer more generally to hot breakfast cereals that aren't oat-based as well (like corn, barley, etc.)

RobinW 08-04-2009 10:37 PM

Im not a morning person either, and Ive never liked eating breakfast.

So...I have a protein shake and a string cheese! Have a shake, and eat the cheese in the car on the way to work.

Works for me :)