Slow Dieting

• Hello,

Just found this small blog talking about a way to lose weight... slowly.
    <--linkosuction-->
    What do you think?
  • I know at my Weight Watcher meetings they tell us that the more slowly you lose the weight, the more likely you are to be able to maintain the loss.

Donna D., Hemet, CA
  • There are so many different kinds of people and personalities and such out there, so it's excellent to see support for this for the people who will do best this way.
  • "As I said before the change I chose was going for a half an hour walk every day. That was enough for me to lose my weight. Every now and then I thought: if only today I'll run instead of walk I will lose weight faster.
    Well, that's great as long as I remembered my minimum exercise that I chose for myself. So if I don't feel like running, I don't give up on the whole diet - I just return to my regular walk."

I like this part of what she has to say. I think it is so easy to make reasonable changes, and then do a lot more because we get energized and motivated - then it becomes too much, and we quit altogether. But hello! we could have just dropped back to our original reasonable plan! It seems very simple, but it's such an easy trap to fall into. I think it's actually a pretty powerful realization.

OTOH, I think it's pretty hard to take the slow approach at first. I think it's great if it's what you need *and* you can do it. I just think our society makes it hard. But now that I'm just losing a last few pounds, and making changes for a lifetime of health rather than to try to lose faster, the approach of picking small changes and building them is appealing.