Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #106  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food OP; CREDIT moi. Did gym, slightly more, it's coming back; CREDIT moi. My legs feel as if they had never done a lunge before - kinda scary how soon they forget.

A little deal: Fully ten days after returning from vacation I finally tossed a package of cookies that were part of the bus snacks on vacation that had followed me home. The issue is that I eat other snacks around here so there's no room for cookies, and cookies make me want to have more cookies, but my brain wanted to keep these just in case. CREDIT moi of course, but Oh Well for taking so long. Staying on plan would be so easy if eating were controlled by the small intestine where calories are absorbed. But my eating is controlled by my eyes and brain, seemingly unrelated to signals from my digestive track.

Another little deal: Renewed my driver's license and I shortened myself by an inch. So I gave up my myth that I'm 5'10" and put down 5'9". Was kinda embarrassed once to read that women tend to fib about their weight and men fib about their height - just like I was doing. CREDIT moi for a small step toward accepting my body just as it is.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for recognizing Sabotaging Thoughts - that's certainly the major step to moving forward against them. That reminds me of onebyone's quote, "Anything worth fighting, fight back."

And Kudos for your consistent Zumba. Is that a chore for you or a joy?

Une (irishune) - Such a good reminder, "...its not lack of understanding about nutrition that is my problem." Yep, on another thread discussing whether to consult a dietitian the point was made that most folks who've been dieting for years already know all that stuff - it's staying on plan that's the issue. Methinks you're on the right track digging into Beck for that part. I do like the part of recognizing Sabotaging Thoughts and finding a Helpful Response.

Kudos for working Day 7: Arrange Your Environment. For me it was a slap upside the head to recognize that if I didn't want to eat cookies, I should remove them from the pantry. Duh!!! And that if I wanted to have fruit for my evening snack that I should buy some in advance so it'd be there. Duh again!!!

Readers -
Quote:
which muscle are you strengthening?
. . .
Every time you resist eating something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to resist in the future. However, each time you give in and eat something you shouldn't, you're strengthening your tendency to give in.
. . .
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 29
Old 07-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Tgif

It was a good day overall. I sent out the documents (400+ pages!) I’ll review next week, so that part is a fait accompli, so no reason to stress about it anymore. Starting Monday I’ll start stressing about leading a 3 day review meeting. So this weekend is stress-free! Even better, the rain that was predicted didn’t show up until late at night and the day was beautiful, warm and sunny.
WI-up 0.75 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op.
Margaret Credit for bringing the donut home, and especially for giving it to DH! It sounds like you succeeded in combating sabotaging thoughts (I need this.) – Credit!

Anne So sorry about the migraine. I hope Friday was a better day…

Une I hear you about being unfit. I started Beck really out of shape, and have gotten much better. You’ll get fit, one step at a time. Yes limiting alcohol is a path I’ve taken too. Recently I’ve begun limiting drinking to weekends only, and even then sticking to the amount I’ve planned for. It works well *most* of the time.

Quote:
I have been on so many diets over the last 25 years so its not lack of understanding about nutrition that is my problem.It is always giving up at the first sign of a setback.I quit so I can tell myself quickly that I chose to quit not that I failed.I know thats why I didn't want to register and post in case I am not "good eneough"or have to admit I'm struggling etc.I know this is crazy.I can see everyone else struggles too which is why I'm doing it.
I am reading Day 7 and the thing that resonates with me each day is the "What are you thinking"section.I can identify each day with the sabotaging thoughts and I know I will never change if I don't get these under control.
It sounds like Beck is just the ticket for you. The book has helped me to deal with most of my sabotaging thoughts, most of the time. Good luck!

Bill Thanks for another episode of the Food Pusher series! The food he was pushing sounded absolutely wonderful – wish I could have joined you… Sad to see your signature has changed; perhaps you’ve reached the 5th stage of grief (acceptance)?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Random Saturday thoughts

Happy weekend, Beckies,

Have been out of town on biz, well I guess the term for me would be "out of the country".....into the city.

Still no desire to eat even though I am hungry most of the time. Finally realized I needed to eat more, so did. Credit moi. Vanity won out. I know from the past when I restricted calories too much, I lost hair, a lot of it. So, the choice is skinny..or bald?!! As Beck would say, "No choice". I am sucking up the fresh pesto with relish, mostly on ww angel hair pasta, so don't worry about me; I am not anorexic or anything of the sort. I just need to get through this sad thing.

I do have my moments of great joy, believe me. I estimate 10 days at most away from peak garden(s) color. A wonderment of color; it already is pretty darned spectacular. I am sure there are many gardening experts would say "too much", but when it comes to flowers and color, I am downright promiscuous.

Raspberries are about as week away. Yay!

Speaking of vanity! lol. You did it again, BillBE..pointed out one of the great truths about men and women. Being on the tall side for a girl, I pay attention when men give their height. Here is the deal: If they are 6 ft. or over, they don't lie. They say 6'1", right on, etc, etc. The shorter they are, the more they lie. If they say 5'6", figure 5'4" at most. the only short guy I ever heard who doesn't lie is Robert Reich. Love the guy. So "cute"...lol..smart, too.

It was so funny to me when I finally got below the wt. I had lied about on my driver's license. I never admitted to more than 175#s. That was a 50# lie! Here is the payback. When I had my license renewed at my new low wt. ..the picture was really good..I changed my wt. ..they messed up and did NOT change it. My license said 175 for 4 more years..too much hassle to change..cosmic payback for lying, I guess.

Now all I lie about is my age. My Real Age is 10 years younger than my chronological, so I justify it that way.

My 2 cents about the alcohol thing. When I initially lost the 80#s, I only had 3 rules. I did not diet. I ate exactly what I wanted, just less of it. ..in some cases, a lot less, but I did not deny myself anything I wanted. My only 3 rules were:
1. No alcohol
2. Eat less
3. Move more

That was it. So simple. Eating out and drinking more led to the 20 # gain back, because I never quit "moving more". I am back to the "no alcohol" rule. It not only adds too many empty calories, it just makes me want more..more food and more alcohol.

So, for now, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - OP food; CREDIT moi. Had both lunch and diner on our patio in pleasant weather. Watched a young squirrel try to climb an 18 inch shrub and, much to his surprise, just bent it to the ground, LOL. Didn't slow him down; he continued scampering about like a, well, young squirrel. Designed my walk along a route so that I could stop for a haircut; CREDIT moi.

And, in what will sound like a repeat story, I replaced a high beam headlight and got my other car inspected. Zowie, the inspection sticker was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of date, just begging for a (pricey) ticket. Don't know how I overlooked that, but it feels super to be covered. Ran it through the car wash first, feeding my belief that a shinny clean car passes inspection easier than a tired-looking car.

maryblu - Sitting here drooling over your pending raspberries and peak color (what a neat concept for a private garden - that term is used around here to describe the New Hampshire maple leaf color in the fall).

Kudos for doing making your choices about food; hope that works out. Hard not to notice that you chose angel hair pasta to restore your own, LOL.

Neat observation about men describing their own height - never heard that before. LOL at your "cosmic payback for lying."

ChinaMaine - Kudos for OP and OP; Yay that you didn't mention fatigue. Speaking of the unmentioned, is your Loon still around?

Yay for 400 pages of documents being gone. Ouch that you now have to review them. Double Ouch that you have only three days to do it. That's 133 pages a day. Sounds like a busy week. If we don't hear from you we'll send supporting thoughts anyway.

Yep, that's it, thanks for the insight; ending my vacation is a loss and all loses must be mourned.

Readers -
Quote:
which muscle are you strengthening?
. . .
So whenever you feel the urge to eat something you're not supposed to, think about which muscle you really want to strengthen. If you want to lose weigth and keep it off permanently, you need to take every opportunity to strengthen you resistance muscle not and to weaken your giving in muscle.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 29
Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #110  

Cool Saturday Report

It was really dreary here Saturday, until about 6 PM. So we got dinner ready and headed down to the lake to sit and soak it up. That was the highlight of the day. Before that I did my usual 45 mins of exercise + 7 mins of elliptical. Credit moi. My DH usually sleeps through my exercise time, but I was running late yesterday so he was working on his computer while I exercised. He wandered through while I was doing Plies with lateral raise using 5 lb weights. He exclaimed ‘That looks hard!’ – which was true (I was grunting quite a bit), and felt good. The rest of the day I spent shopping for clothes to wear to the meetings next week. (I hate shopping for clothes, but it’s much easier now than it was 6 months ago…)
WI-down 1.25 lbs - new low! Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op. Credit!

Bill Kudos for honesty about your height. Squirrels are hyperactive rascals at any age, but even more so when they are younger. Have you ever seen one of those Droll Yankee bird feeders? The one where the perch spins around and launches squirrels off? They are pricey so just pined for one for years. Finally my old not-so-squirrel-proof feeder broke irrevocably, and I bought a droll yankee. They work as advertised. It is hysterical to see a squirrel go flying off the spinning perch. I think I use a couple less pounds of feed a week, so the feeder will certainly pay for itself eventually…

maryblu Credit! For eating when you really aren’t inclined to. I envy you your pesto – my 3 basil plants just won’t grow. (grrr). I think I need to break down and buy a couple more to put in a pot. for almost peak garden color. I say more color the better!

BTW - I noticed (finally!) how much your ticker has moved recently. The last time I had looked you weighed 155, now 141!! Credit! I am sorry at least some of it is due to your sadness, but this is a very nice side benefit. So only 6 lbs to your final goal of 135 -- that is wonderful.

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 07-19-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #111  

Height: 5'7"

Heya my coaches! I'm finally (I think) past a 3 day headache which left me cranky. Getting it together today.

Anne
Old 07-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #112  

Went to wedding yesterday. Wore my watch on my other arm to remind my self what was on my response cards.Everytime I looked at it I was mindful mof what was happening. Ate as I had planned and had no alcohol and am delighted with myself today.Had a laugh reading about stating weight on driving licence.That is not required here and I got such an unpleasant shock a few years ago when I lived for a while in the US and applied for a licence.Took about 30 lbs off of course but still hated that it was required.My challenge for myself this coming week is to do some exercise every day and to write down my eating plan for the day.Raining here in Ireland today.Hope you all are having a nice day where you are.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #113  
Practicing Imperfection

10,000 steps, credit. Had to intentionally leave the house and walk to get the steps, since I spent most of the day in the studio getting ready for my craft show. Tracked food, credit. Up 0.8 of a pound, sigh. Beck wants us to get used to variations in weight, but I don't have much practice yet since I used to weight myself very rarely.

irishune--congrats on your strategy of putting your watch on the wrong arm to remind you of your response cards, and sticking to your plan.

wndranne--hope the getting it together process is moving along.

ChinaMaine--400 pages sounds quite daunting! Kudos for getting it out. Credit on persisting with the elliptical.

MaryBlu--I'm with you, the more color in a garden, and in life, the better! Credit for taking care of yourself and eating more.

Bill--Congrats on getting back to the gym! And wonderful for throwing out those cookies! Zumba is mostly a joy for me--I love the music, and this is the first time I've done aerobic exercise, so I'm pleased I am getting more coordinated, and make it through. I started a year ago. I was always the last picked in gym class in school, so to do any physical activity is huge. Sometimes I really envy the ones in their 20's who can give an extra bounce to every step--I definitely don't have that kind of energy.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #114  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - 40th Anniversary of the First Lunar Landing

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Since my birthday is in July, we celebrated with dinner with the kids last night with grilled salmon and grilled veggies on the patio. I ate well - tipped to the high end of On Plan because of black olives for appetizers - CREDIT moi. For the second year we had a birthday watermelon instead of my long traditional Boston Creme Pie; it didn't seem as strange as last year, just like this is what we do for Bill. Yay for Beck's notion of training your brain. Had too much of a whole wheat sour dough bread that was a gift; Oh Well.

Since I'm going to be busy after work today, I did gym yesterday; CREDIT moi. Not yet back to where I was before vacation, but slowly gaining. On a warm, sunny, summer Sunday afternoon it's almost a private gym.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for that mighty migraine; Kudos for coming out only at the cranky level. On another thread, it's being reported as 113 degrees Fahrenheit in the Mojave Desert areas; are you guys that hot?

ChinaMaine - Yay for a having a supportive husband. Yay for 45 minutes of exercise plus elliptical time. And Yay for the weather brightening up dinner by the lake.

Kudos for shopping for clothes for your document review. Good luck with that this week. I hope you finish all 400 pages in three days. Do you then have to adjudicate and accumulate the changes and update the document?

Yep, I've seen that Droll Yankee bird feeder. First time was in a store before I had heard about it's mechanical response when I casually touched it and it zipped around; thought I'd have a heart attack on the spot, LOL.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for wearing a pedometer to remind you to break out of your studio to go get some exercise. And Kudos for 10,000 steps.

Yay for Zumba being a joy. Yep, I know about that comparison stuff; I find myself comparing my gym workout to the young things easily doing twice as much. Gotta watch out for that.

Une (irishune) - Big Kudos for the CBT strategy of wearing your watch on the other hand to remind you about mindful eating during a wedding. And Kudos for eating On Plan, including no alcohol, when facing, I presume, unusually good foods.

Good luck with your exercise plan this week; I hope the weather in your beautiful corner of Ireland improves to encourage that.

Readers -
Quote:
Just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision not to eat can also reduce tension.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 31

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-20-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #115  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Coaches/Buddies - I'll tell you straight up what happens to me these days: I get overwhelmed. And 72 days of Beck activities - well, that is seriously enough to overwhelm me. So ... one day at a time. I think the week 1 activities are getting pretty solid now, so I'll focus on week 2, starting with Day 8. It might take me a bit longer this time, though.

I am officially starting WW points counting today, and you'll notice my weight tracker below is set to reflect my initial 5-pound goal. I'm giving myself a week of just counting points, and not worrying about exercise until next week. I hope this will reduce the overwhelm factor.

Greetings and cheers to you all - I will be back for personals soon. Une - welcome!! Great to have you with us.

best
Erika
Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #116  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/buddies: My three day headache was sporting for four. I broke down and took some imitrex, which about killed me last time I tried it, and whammo! NO HEADACHE. Nothing, nada, no little last dregs, or almost gone, or I think maybe it's OK nows. Y'all can start calling me James Brown. I may go buy stock in the company.

Anywho. I got caught up on my life last night. Ate too much and enjoyed it all. Giant bar-style burger loaded with mushrooms and homemade french fries at a kid's place. I don't mind stuff like that, its the bits and pieces of unenjoyable calories that I resent, and need to get out of my life. Trying once again to get back into routine to make that happen. I feel so good today even work isn't stressing me out!

Also talked to my tri coach yesterday. I love her. We compared mid-life crises. She wins. Anyway, my assignment is to stop taking something that is supposed to be fun so seriously, and if my runs or whatever aren't going well, it isn't the end of the world. I don't need to add that stress to everything else.

I guess I'm chatty today. to everyone. Kids are waking in a few minutes, so no personals again. Has anyone seen onebyone? I worry.

Also BillBE, it was, get this, 115 degrees, yep that's degrees Fahrenheit, in the shade on my back porch yesterday, here in the heart of the Sonoran desert. Cooled off some after an afternoon monsoon thunderstorm, which is the most amazing weather pattern ever as far as I'm concerned. Makes me a little giddy. But I'm dancing around like a crazy woman today anyway, because no pain after lots of it feels extra special good. Whoop!

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 07-20-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #117  

Default Sunday Report

A perfect Maine day yesterday – with all the rain we’ve had this year I’m so grateful we seem to be getting one fantastic day each weekend. It was DH’s b-day yesterday, so he called the shots. He needed my help getting the dock set up, so we did that before lunch. It looks great! After lunch we went to Popham Beach and walked for about 90 minutes on the beach. It was sunny, breezy with big poofy white clouds. The beach was busy, but not crowded the way NJ beaches are. Then we went to our favorite lobster shack for the most tender, delicious lobster EVER. And the light was gorgeous so I ran around after dinner taking pics; I hope a couple come out. Then we drove home, and had ice cream with strawberries. Although I was offplan most of the day, the calories came out in the end. Although my sat fat was higher than usual. Oh well…
WI-up 1.25 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan (and then threw it out the window). Food – off plan, Exercise – op.
That's it for now -- I'll try to catch up on personals later today.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #118  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hiya everyone! god, it’s wonderful to read this thread again.

feels like it's been forever - kind of another lifetime, sort of. i started work again last week – old company, new client. being unemployed made me aware of some things about how i’d been feeling in my career that i wasn’t aware of before, with all the rushing and craziness. now that i’m back i’m feeling it a lot more acutely. not sure what i’m going to do about it, but i can’t pretend that it’s like it was before. well, the job is, but i’m not. a public forum probably isn’t the best place to discuss. so anyhoo…

i gained about four pounds the last few weeks of unemployment. not stellar, but since i’ve been maintaining at a serious new low for me i can live with it. i’ve already taken off one of them – more to come. haven’t worked beck specifically but will be getting back to the basics. right now, between the commute and el nino (we now refer to him as Captain Demando – 29 lbs of pure, unadultered I want! I need! No! You do THIS, mommy!) i’ve been getting up at 5:00 so i have time to work out and passing out around 11:00 when the tired finally forces my brain to shut down. will need some real project management brilliance to develop a solution to my time management “challenge.” going back to bistro just isn’t an option anymore.

the good news is that the Cincinnati house has been officially on the market for over 3 weeks, and we’ve had lots of showings. it’s just a matter of time until the right person walks through the door. in the meantime, i’ve got a quick-hit list of cheapie updates to the Dayton house to get me through until we have the money to make a real difference. each one is an evening or one-weekend-day project – i’m going to try and get a single thing done each week. just keep chipping away until i like the house i live in.

so for now, no marathons, no new classes (although i signed up for something in the fall, sigh.) not sure if i’ll actually take it or not. i’m going to focus on getting the happy habits and behaviors back in place in a sustainable way, and taking off another 15 lbs by October (20th high school reunion. i can’t freakin’ believe it.) so this, and figure out what career 2.0 might look like. (thank you SO MUCH onebyone. you are amazing.)

hi to everyone i don’t know! i still need to get caught back up with everyone’s lives – it might take me some time to get my sealegs again. thanks in advance for being patient with me!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #119  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Im here and behaving....but it's not easy *blah
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #120  
Practicing Imperfection

A quick check-in. Tracking food, credit. Zumba, credit. Measured out my snacks, and didn't eat rest of container! Delayed my walk at lunch until I only had a little time. Sigh. But I did go out for a few minutes.
Closed Thread