Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #91  
Practicing Imperfection

Today was lunch with a friend, a Greek salad as big as my head. . .but I asked for dressing on the side, and they gave me two big containers full. . .and enough feta to feed a crowd, but I ate less than half of it. Credit. Zumba, credit, tracking my food, credit. Down 2 pounds--yay! It seems almost miraculous--I have a tendency to view my successes as if an alien from mars zapped me with a laser and changed all my thinking, rather than the fact that I am working on this. I'm sure Beck has a lot to say about this.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #92  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies On plan today. Degunked the bikes this morning. Feeling committed to the process again. Not that I'm feeling especially happy about that, mind you, but I really do have NO CHOICE. I'd rather be moping and thin(ner), than moping and fat. So on I march.

to everyone. Thumbs up on that bike, Robin.

Anne
Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #93  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating OP; CREDIT moi. Gym, albeit a tad wimpy; CREDIT moi. Drinking my protein shake strokes my testosterone ego so that I then have to go. I might upgrade that shake to a Beck CBT strategy since I look forward to it and am then committed to going to the gym.

At the farmer's market a guy was selling artisan smoked blue fish, so bought three ounces to go with our gazpacho for dinner, which we ate outside on the patio pretending that it was summer. A little smoked fish goes a long way. Yeah for moderation. Before my journey I never would have bought so little, and at $25/pound, would never have bought more, LOL.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for making it through dinner until you got home. Interesting insight into the daily trickle intake of sugar. Do hope you find a suitable substitute - even one of the Lifesavers that look like Tums might trick the brain. I've used ChniaMaine's suggestion of Tic-Tacs before when I needed a sugar hit. By the by, I dropped both my prescription and my over-the-counter heartburn meds after I lost my weight - one of those unexpected benefits.

Thanks for the sailing picture. Is one of those young adults your 13 year old?

Yep, you absolutely need to stop this boy-girl stuff right now; On a family thread I'm not allowed to tell you what's on the mind of that teenage boy, LOL. Sending supportive thoughts for these next eight years. I am soooooo glad to be on the other side of that.

Anne (wndranne) - Yeah for NO CHOICE and moping forward.

Degunking your bikes reminds me of my sculpture friend when I asked him what he did when faced with "Artist Block." He said he sharpened his chisels.

ChinaMaine - Waving back.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - I recognize the thought, "view my successes as if an alien from mars zapped me with a laser and changed all my thinking." Yeah for the alien; hopefully, in time, your instinct will recognize her as you, but for now it's a neat thought to have a friendly alien on board.

Readers -
Quote:
If you can identify the triggers that evoke sabotaging thoughts and lead you to eat in unhelpful ways, you can minimize your exposure to them or change your response to them.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 28
Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #94  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Hi Bill~ the other ladies are both around my age. I didnt take my dd because they were serving wine. But her and I are scheduled to go next month. I think she'll like it. The crew gets the folks on board involved in hoisting the sails and whatnot. Its fun for the kids too. They even have pirate tours and treasure hunts for the kids...sounds like a great bit of fun.

Sounds like a very lovely dinner! Kudos for good choices!

Anne~ Kudos for getting on with it!

Nuxmaga~ Kudos for eating only half your salad...those greek salads get huge, its like eating a veggie patch!!

Not alot going on today, chillin' with my girl, then I have to go into the shop for 3:30.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #95  

Hi everyone
Another new starter.Have been lurking for a while as not sure I will be a great poster but I am impressed by the committment of all the regulars and I wanted to say it means a lot to me and no doubt others like me.I live in Ireland and am sure there are other Beckies about but I have not come across any.
I bought the book a week ago and am working through it.I need to think things out before I can really add anything.
Hope to post again
Une
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Une!

My DH and I honeymooned in Ireland 15 years ago. It was one of our favorite trips! Where in Ireland do you live?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #97  

In the North of Ireland,County Down. I live beside the sea and the Mourne Mountains.Very pretty area.Thanks for the welcome.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink Wednesday, Thursday

I have only exercised 10 minutes in the last 2 days. I’ve been very fatigued, working 10+ hours a day, and not getting much sleep. I think tonight I’ll sleep pretty well – I’m just that tired. Worse has been my attitude, not very Beckian at all. I finished work yesterday, got up and linked arms with my adolescent fat chick and pulled out the gin and tonics. We sloshed the g&t’s and said ‘I don’t care!’ Oh well…
The good news is that I resisted the post-dinner munchies, so my total calories yesterday was well under my daily max. Credit! There really is something to be said for building daily habits, because they saved me yesterday. Today, I just was too busy to eat breakfast. Again, my overall calories are well under my typical. But I know being offplan like this will bite me in the rear, if I don’t get back on track soon.
WI-down 1.25 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan Wed, but not Thurs. Food – off-plan Exercise – off-plan.
To quote Tera, tomorrow I will be SO on plan. For both exercise and food.
Margaret Sounds like a great day – credit! Sauce mouth – never heard of that one. It sounds like you are getting in a good groove.

Re being zapped by a laser. I think this is why giving yourself credit constantly is a core part of her routine. Eventually, if you keep catching yourself working hard, you’ll believe you do. So credit for those 2 lbs and the hard work that made them melt away!

Bill hmmmm – peaches sound so good.

Robin boys --- oh man. ouch for visions of marshmallows, but kudos for getting it under control. Nice! That your wine cruise was such fun. The pic is great!

for the bikes, I think I forgot that last time…

Tera hope all is well!

Anne for No Choice. It’s good to know that when all else fails, No Choice is always there.

Une I’ve never been to Northern Ireland, the Troubles were still in full swing when we planned our trip. (But I distinctly remember the morning, toward the end of our trip, when we heard the IRA had declared a ceasefire. Of course it didn’t stick that time, but it was a step in the road…) But the photos and descriptions I see online of the area around the Mourne Mountains looks gorgeous. It looks like an area with a lot of outdoor activities like hiking and mountain climbing. Do you partake?
Which book do you have?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #99  
Practicing Imperfection

Took a lunchtime walk, credit. Tracked food, credit. Only ate one of the two donuts I bought, and brought the other one home to weigh, because this is an independent donut shop and they are huge, almost 4 ounces! Then I gave it to my husband, yay!

ChinaMaine:
Quote:
I finished work yesterday, got up and linked arms with my adolescent fat chick and pulled out the gin and tonics. We sloshed the g&t’s and said ‘I don’t care!’ Oh well…
Yeah, g&t's can really bring out the inner adolescent! Kudos for falling back on your good habits and staying under calories. Yes, hopefully Beck's credit system will sink in, and I will see that it's me doing the work.

Irishune--Welcome!

Bill--We just got a farmer's market in our town, and boy would like a vendor of smoked fish! Congrats on savoring a small portion. Yes, it is nice to think of a friendly alien on board for now until I can recognize I'm doing the work.

RobinW--hope you are sorting out the sugar issues. I think Beck talks about counting up the "hard hours" to put the struggles in perspective--maybe that would help?

wndranne & tera--
Old 07-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #100  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Migraine today. I'm calling a do-over tomorrow.

Anne
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #101  

ChinaMaine
Glad you enjoyed Ireland.
The Mournes are a fantastic area to hike etc but I am just so unfit I can't do it.This is one of the items on my response card.I have joined a gym but have real problems making myself go.At the minute that is nearly a bigger struggle than sticking to my eating plan.I have bought the original book and continue to work through it.I completely related to the "adolescent fat chick" and the drinks.At the weekends I find it a struggle to forgo a few glasses of red wine or g+ts completely so I limit them (with mixed success) and Guiness has to be completely banned.I am going to a wedding tomorrow and will drive so as to keep to my plan.Well done me!

Nuxmaga those donuts sound good.Well done you!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Une (irishune)

Une (irishune)

And, in honor of your first post on 3FC,

How did you find out about the Beck Diet Solution?

And how did you find out about this thread on 3FC?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-17-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The food pusher at work outdid himself; his DW sent in a homemade tart that was half blueberries and was covered with fresh strawberries. Had a slice. It was totally worth it. Compensated by skipping my afternoon snack. CREDIT moi for at least compensating. Scale read up one pound which I perceive as punishment for my transgression. So much for rational thinking about food and weight gain, LOL.

Walk was re-directed to buying a bulb for the brake light for my car so I can get it inspected today. Welcome back to the realities of post-vacation. But I bumped into some strawberries on sale so it wasn't all drudgery; CREDIT moi.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for "chillin' with my girl." Yay for those precious years when she's still speaking to you, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Double Ouch for the head, may a a good night's sleep bring it ease.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for working too long and sleeping too little. (This seems to have become the sleep deprived thread, LOL.) Kudos for keeping to your calorie total, even if wandering a bit off plan. And Kudos for "tomorrow I will be SO on plan."

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for a new farmer's market; may you spend many hours indulging in new and fresh food choices. And Kudos for donating that second donut - four ounces of donut sounds HUGE.

Une (irishune) - Glad you're here. Thanks for the opportunity to google County Down and the Mourne Mountains; Good Grief, what a gorgeous corner of the world! A new addition to my gotta-go-there list.

Consider simply posting what Beck Day you're reading. Many of us like to be reminded of the steps and you might find we jump in with our own memories of our first pass through them. Are you already making your Advantages Cards?

Readers -
Quote:
which muscle are you strengthening?

Throughout the pages of The Beck Diet Solution, you'll find that I often refer to two "muscles": your resistance muscle and your giving in muscle. I'm actually talking about your tendency to think and act in certain ways.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 29
Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #104  

Thanks Bill for the great welcome.
I was surfing when I first came on 3FC and i have no idea why I clicked on the Beck Page.That was quite a while ago and it was interesting to me but I didn't buy the book at the time and drifted away from the site eventually.However there was an article in the Sunday Times (a British broadsheet) a few weeks ago and I remembered about this site.I lurked again for a while and then decided that this was for me.
I could write my own diet book as I have been on so many diets over the last 25 years so its not lack of understanding about nutrition that is my problem.It is always giving up at the first sign of a setback.I quit so I can tell myself quickly that I chose to quit not that I failed.I know thats why I didn't want to register and post in case I am not "good eneough"or have to admit I'm struggling etc.I know this is crazy.I can see everyone else struggles too which is why I'm doing it.
I am reading Day 7 and the thing that resonates with me each day is the "What are you thinking"section.I can identify each day with the sabotaging thoughts and I know I will never change if I don't get these under control.I am also going to commit to eating sitting down and eating slowly and mindfully as these areas are also a problem for me.

Best Wishes to everyone else.Will get on board with being a supportive team member very soon! Just finding my feet here.

Une
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #105  
Practicing Imperfection

Zumba, credit. Tracked food, credit.

Had a surge of rationalizing about what I was eating--"I need this," or "Because I did better with this meal, I can eat this unplanned snack" etc.

I need to start using Beck's checklist in the back of the 2nd book, and work on making those steps a habit. I think it would help with the sabotaging thoughts.
Closed Thread