Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #1  
Lo-Carbin'

S/C/G: 197/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'7

Default Why is this happening???

Over the past 2-3 weeks I have painstakingly lost 4 pounds. I was annoyed to begin with because most ladies lose a lot of weight their first weeks and I lost 2 the first week and 2 the second week. Well, yesterday I weighed my usual 186 and today I weigh 190! Naked, no food in my stomach, after toilet. SOB! I'm not near my period so it's not that. I guess I just want to hear stories of when this has happened to you, what caused it and whatnot.

I know every body is different but I pray that I don't have to spend the next two weeks RE-losing the weight I lost in the past two weeks. ARGH. I'm so frustrated!
sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

These things happen. I weigh more if I eat/drink more before bed rather than earlier in the day. Also, I gain lots of water weight when I'm exercising- I've measured my calves and have gained as much as 2" in water from exercise on each calf.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I do sympathize and the advice just to hang in there, which is all I can offer, is really frustrating to hear.

The only question I can ask from my experience is, are you calorie counting, and, if so, how many? Going too low can really affect weight loss.

I find it best to only weigh weekly (usually) because the highs and lows of natural body rhythms were just too much for me mentally.

There will be more experienced chicks along shortly....
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  
Sunshinez28

S/C/G: 155/148/140

Height: 5'5

Hey there, I have the same problem, its usually a 2lb difference, and its frustrating.. but it does depend on what you eat and drink plus exercise. I try to keep my sodium LOW, and count calories. I exercise 5days a week and do a kickboxing class.. Don't get discouraged, weigh yourself once a week the same time and same day of week.. Also, the scale is just a number, try to get someone to measure you once a month and go by how you feel and the way your cloths fit. I use to way 145 and now 148-150 depending on the day, but I have gain alot of muscle, lost inches and my clothes fit different but have not gone down a size.. so don't give up.. Its good to lose 1-2lbs a week then to lose alot at once and don't keep it off. Good luck and don't give up!!!
sunshinez28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #5  

I'm going through this right now too. I gained 2 lbs. overnight the other day. I KNOW it is water weight and a 'natural fluctuation' but it is very frustrating. I drank a ton of water yesterday hoping it would help but no, it didn't.

From experience, I know I'm likely to have a sudden and just as seemingly 'out of nowhere' big loss at some point. I know that but it's still hard mentally to see the numbers go up no matter if it's 'real' or not.

Moments like this are when I KNOW I'm committed to changing my body because otherwise I'd give up and think "What's the point?". The point is that it's dumb for me to expect a straight, lineal downward path.

There are ALWAYS going to be obstacles. Overcoming them is what makes losing the weight such an accomplishment. Something will always come along to test our resolve whether it's the unexplained upward movement on the scale, and injury or a life crisis. There will always be SOMETHING. The way we prove to ourselves we can do it is to persevere through whatever comes and adjust as needed to keep on track. Easily said but hard to do.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Write down everything you eat in a food journal, and I am sure you will find where you have steered off the path. Good luck!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with food journaling. You bite it - you write it.

It's so incredibly easy to go over ones calorie budget without even realizing it. But once you start tracking your calories really closely, recording every, bite, lick, taste and crumb - well, it's REAL eye opening.

If you don't know exactly what you're consuming, there's no way to know for sure what to change up and adjust. Why guess with something so important? It's not worth all the work and aggravation. You bite it, you write it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Most people lose a dramatic amount of weight their first week or two because they suddenly increase how much water they're drinking, and dramatically decrease the amount of sodium. Have you done those two things?
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #9  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Maybe you ate a lot of salt the day or so before?
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #10  
Lo-Carbin'

S/C/G: 197/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks ladies. I just needed to hear your encouragement to stick with this! I calorie count so I do keep a food journal, the only thing I've done differently is I did have something salty for lunch the day before I weighed. I guess that fresco style chicken soft taco really did me in. That's what I get for not being prepared with my own food.
sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #11  
Love on a Diet

S/C/G: HW:155 SW:147/141/107

Height: 5'2"

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING. I'm in the exact same boat as you, I have had to FIGHT to get a couple of pounds off, and now it appears to be all back.

So this is what I've gathered from reading the boards and from talking to lots of people:

Rule #1: Don't Panic.

I also looked in the mirror and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, a little fat roll is gone from beneath my ribs.

So, Rule #2: Don't always trust the scale.

Everybody's weight fluctuates daily, sometimes as much as five pounds throughout the course of the day. I know you mentioned that you're not near your period and you already went potty (teehee potty) but I thought I weighed myself after I peed, and then later this morning I had to pee again. I weighed myself again afterwards. Guess what? I went down a pound. It could be water retention from high sodium or exercise. It could be something else, completely unrelated, that nobody's figured out yet. The scale can be a fickle little thing, take what she says with a grain of salt. (Or maybe less salt.)

Finally, of course, is the Golden Rule: Stay On Plan. Which I know you already know anyway, but every time I hit a roadbump I like to have a little reminder, myself.
MiniMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #12  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawa1210 View Post
Thanks ladies. I just needed to hear your encouragement to stick with this! I calorie count so I do keep a food journal, the only thing I've done differently is I did have something salty for lunch the day before I weighed. I guess that fresco style chicken soft taco really did me in. That's what I get for not being prepared with my own food.
There it is! The sodium! I had a similar freakout last weekend over a handful of doritos that made me gain 7 lbs overnight! It took a few days to come back off but it finally did plus a couple pounds. Don't get discouraged, just keep trucking! Oh and drink your water!! If you're retaining, drinking more will signal your body to flush it out .

Last edited by ValRock; 05-31-2009 at 10:12 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/213/150

Height: 5'6

Diddo, they said.
But I mean if you're losing weight, then you're losing weight. The scale can only tell you so much.
Muffin Top 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #14  

try cutting down on carbs in your diet dont follow the pyramid (dead people lay down there). food wont always do need to do some exercise as well. if you didnt sweat for fifteen minutes a day during exercise dont concider it a workout. (if your lazy.......)
lowandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #15  
Sunshinez28

S/C/G: 155/148/140

Height: 5'5

Default Funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandfat View Post
try cutting down on carbs in your diet dont follow the pyramid (dead people lay down there). food wont always do need to do some exercise as well. if you didnt sweat for fifteen minutes a day during exercise dont concider it a workout. (if your lazy.......)
Sorry... But hahahahahha.. on the pyramid..
sunshinez28 is offline   Reply With Quote