Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Weekend Report

We had 5 houseguests for the weekend, so it was just too busy to get in here and post. The last of the Mohicans left this AM, so I’ll be trying to catch up today. The weather was perfect and we had a wonderful time with everyone. My brother’s girls have fished here for years and have never caught anything (even though our lake is stuffed with fish). This weekend was something though – they caught a fish everytime they put their line in the water. You couldn’t keep the two of them from the water’s edge from Saturday AM until they left Sunday evening. The rest of us had fun too, lots of exercise (planned and spontaneous) as well as healthy food.
WI-down 1 lb from Friday. I didn’t read my cards or make a plan but I did pretty well. Over 4 days I was over my usual calorie max by a total of 400 calories. Credit moi! Even better, I made a card for my social drinking issue. It worked! I drank exactly what I planned. Credit!! I’ll be making a couple of those and putting them in my pocket when I travel or when I have company here.
Fatigue was really tough this weekend. I was much more tired than usual, 3 – 4.5 from Fri to Sun (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue). I did go kayaking (30 mins with very light paddling) and it really exhausted me. I got out of the kayak and went to bed. I felt back to normal about 20 hrs later. Oh well… I’m adding kayaking to my list of things to do more of so I have control of my life instead of my thyroid having the control… Credit moi!

I’ll do some personals now and will catch up with everyone else tonight.

Tera when [Mom] was awake, she was truly present – that’s wonderful!! I hope she is doing better day-by-day!

Re activity level / pain connection. I guess it’s not surprising, but really too bad… Very interesting stuff from the new physical therapist. I hope that his plan will get you back on the track to good health. Your plan about the C sounds very reasonable too…

Credit for op Thurs, and for being back in the groove today!! I think it’s realistic to ‘plan’ to flexibly make reasonable choices. I hope it helped you get through the rest of the weekend.

Thanks for the cheerleaders – they make a difference!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #62  
Practicing Imperfection

A quick note to say that I had my meeting, and while I did eat more than I had planned, I ate less than half of what I had the last meeting, and I sent all the leftover cookies with my supervisor, who was very pleased to take them. . .
Old 06-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #63  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Bill~
Quote:
Marshmallows have no reason for existing on planet earth much less in your pantry.
Do you really think they made it to the pantry?? Especially the toasted coconut covered ones Heaven help me!

Just a really quick one to let you all know Im still here, and still struggling thru.

Im not going to complain....it just elevates everything that doesnt need to get elevated any more than it is.

so....my pc is "ok" home pc is still at the dr's, hubs is showing the blue screen of death...so he needs a new one.

Food....still with the wine and marshmallows....stress eating! I struggle with this one all the time. But I am not going to beat myself up over it....I know it will pass. I just need to move it along

Exercise...none (still)

New step grandbaby....played tricks on its mom, false labour today. So we think little baby W will be here soon!

Thats it for me, Im off to start on the next "pile" of stuff that needs to get done NOW at least that's how the customers put it.

Im looking for suggestions on good books Re: Stress & Eating. What have you read lately that you might suggest.

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #64  

Talking Tuesday

I read my cards this AM and made a plan. But we realized we had leftovers from the weekend, although each was not quite enough for 1 person to make a meal out of. So we ate a leftover smorgasbord tonight rather than making something brand new. But based on calories I’m op and Exercise was op too. Credit!
Fatigue 3.5 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue).
Anne I loved the ‘donuts are not about me’ Credit! Sounds like you had a nice weekend overall. But sorry about the not-so-great run. Kudos for doing it when it’s so hot!

Bill Although you are certainly as empathetic as any Supreme Court nominee, I doubt you went for the croissant because of dedication to improving the customer relationship. LOL – but good rationalization there! Eating a croissant to martyr yourself for you company!! No, I have to think I’m to blame with my talk of gluten-gluttony and, thus, feeding your fantasies of Parisian baguettes. But you’re on your own with the chocolate fountain. Glad you got a chance to meet some new folks, and chat with some old friends. And for doing the gym to make up for it – now that’s thinking like a thin person!

Baby Downy chasing Mommy – wow!

Vacation for 3 weeks? I miss you already!

one by one Credit for ‘keeping on’ and for ‘getting it back again soon. LOL for DHs weight loss program! And wow – the gardening sounds like it was a marathon exercise binge – credit!

Beth hitting your 1st mini-goal!

Glad you got to your opening – but how was it?

Credit for the plan to reread the 1st 15 days of your book! Credit for the yardwork too! I keep my eye on the overall graph of my weight loss, and it helps me with the slow pace because I can see the big picture is good. I agree the daily planning is a big help to stick to the program.

Nuxmaga Ouch for the 2 ‘not very satisfying baked goods. Double ouch for cookies – food pushing through FB. It really is a new world! Lol Credit for keeping in mind Beck’s notion that mistakes are normal.

Kudos for eating much less than you might have otherwise. And brilliant plan to give the cookies to your supervisor!

Robin Ouch for having TWO computers felled by a virus! Or is it THREE! Marshmallows, chocolate and wine – interesting combo! Are you sure 2 bottles of wine is sufficient for these kinds of computer woes? I hope the computers get fit and healthy again soon – I know your business can’t really run without them. Hang in there, your attitude is great. And things will get better…

nwamom I’ve only been on the thread for 6 months or so, so we haven’t met. From your name, can I assume you work for NorthWest?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #65  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up complete and utter exhaustion today

Hi Coaches

First: credit moi for eating breakfast, skipping movie pop and popcorn, walking over to the transit station to catch my bus=extra walking, and for getting through my grad meeting. Lordy it was tough today. Nitpicky details abound. Argh. I could barely deal with it all. I'll add a credit for keeping it together during the meeting.

ChinaMaine kudos for staying on plan re: leftover smorgasbord!

RobinW for the stress eating. Been there and do that still too.
And yes, it does pass. I too am searching for books to read. I just ordered Volumetrics off of ebay... looking forward to it.

Nuxmaga kudos on your success!

twilit tera Kudosn on your persistent insistence that you will be well and healthy and as painfree as you can be. it sounds like you are on to the next level of healing here with this new health practitioner. Good Luck! All the best to your mom...

Greenville Beth -5lbs

Billblueeyes Hong Kong really? Really???! Methinks I'll buold up to deadlifting the 500lb pumpkin as the season progresses. I'll just lift it every other day or so and keep building those muscles that way. By the time it gets to 500lbs I should be able to lift it too eh? right??
Actually I secretly hope it's big enough that my friend's young boys could sit in it...crossing my fngers for that, of course first it has to germinate and then we need some sun...

Coaches After the grad ceremony and our Duty is fulfilled I am going out to some bar and ordering something martini-like (I picture the glass as being a martini glass) in the colour blue. And since I never drink, can anyone tell me what might fit the bill?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #66  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I'm tempted into getting this book. Is it worth it? Does it help?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 276/see ticker

Height: 5'4

Today's Weight: 1.2 lbs down

I have to admit, I haven't read my Beck book the last couple of days due to being so busy, but I have been following the lessons so far. The last two days I have been working on not cleaning my plate when I feel full before finishing my meal. I don't belong to the clean plate club, but when I am dieting and eatting much less than normal, it is hard not to eat everything I have on my plate because I know I will be hungry later.

I find, lately, that I am feeling full before I finish even though my meals are small. I have been leaving small amounts even though I want to eat all of it. Credit me!

I also went for my walk today even though I worked. Major credit. I think, I should be able to get a walk in before work tomorrow.

I have a couple of difficult days ahead of me. Tomorrow night is the preview for the new show and Thursday is the opening. Both nights include a party with a ton of food brought in by some really nice restaurants. I will be working long hours both nights. I am going to have to be so careful with all that yummy food around.

I am going to write a couple of response cards tonight to have in my pocket. My plan...for all to see...is to not eat one single bite of anything either night. I fear if I take a bite of something, even something healthy, it will lead to more eating. I will take my dinner and snack with me and leave the danger food alone competely.

I'll let you know how it goes.

ChinaMaine - Credit for making a plan. It has really been helping me write down what I can eat the next day. It sounds like you were really busy this weekend with all of your guests. Great job staying so close to plan.

The opening was good. I left early. I need to get over there sometime before work this week and take pictures and see if they sold anything. Hopefully they did!

Margaret - Eating less is certainly a great step in the right direction. Small steps, you know? It's diffiuclt to not eat when food is piled in front of you. Give yourself credit.

Tera - I hope your new PT can help you with the pain. You're down 1.5 lbs, that's great. Does the swimming help with the pain and mobility?

You're right, any new job is taxing when you're just starting. I knew what I was getting into, so none of this is a surprise. I'm just being a big baby. In a month from now, I'm sure I'll be enjoying it.

Nwamom - Welcome back.

Bill - As someone else said, going to the gym to off-set the chocolate fountain was great thin thinking. Credit. I'm with you, I hate lunges as well. I figure, they must be good for the body if they are so hated. My old personal trainer used to make me do them the length of the gym and back with weights. The gym used to be a Best Buy, so you can imagine how many lunges that was. Yikes.

Theatre work days are crazy. As I said above, I did know what I was getting myself into. Actually, the actors / director / tech people have much longer hours. I'm just a big baby.

You said you're starting your vacation in Hong Kong, I think. That's cool. I haven't been there, but I did spend a month in Korea.

RobinW - Yeah, wine and marshmallows are kind of an odd combo, but then I don't like either of them. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get to where you need to be.

Onebyone - Thanks! It sounds like you're coming to the end of your school stress. That's a good thing! That's some big pumpkin you're going to grow! Good luck with that.

All best,

Beth

Last edited by Greenville Beth; 06-09-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #68  

Height: 5'7"

On plan. Doing great. Tired.

Anne
Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Daimere

Daimere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
I'm tempted into getting this book. Is it worth it? Does it help?
Yes, the use of Cognitive Therapy strategies by Dr. Judith Beck in both of her books has helped me to stay the course keeping 81 pounds off for over three years. Definitely worth it.

Within our chatter you can read how each one of us is using some part of the Beck strategies to stay on our food plan and on our exercise plan. Even posting here is part of that plan, using each other as Diet Buddies (Diet Coaches in the first book).

Give it a try, and let us know what you think. Join in. It can make a difference.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Lunch was my rosemary vinaigrette white beans with grape tomatoes which I dearly love. Made it with too much red onion, which is just the right amount for me, LOL. CREDIT moi for continuing to make my lunches.

Inserted the 16GigaByte memory card in my camera - kinda boggling. Now I can take a gazillion pictures.

onebyone - Love your plan to lift your "Giant Atlantic Pumpkin" as it grows toward 500 pounds to build up your strength. Now that's thinking ahead. I even think Beck has a chapter about such scale of optimistic projections, but I recommend that you don't read it; just lift away. Reality might be just right sized.

Yep, Kudos for breakfast, skipping movie temptations, ordering Volumetrics, and extra walking. But BIGGEST Kudos for keeping it together during the meeting - you've come too far to blow it away by skewering people at the end.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch for all that stress at work for the stuff needed NOW!!!!! Kudos for coming back here to keep in touch even as you figure out a way to back away from the wine and marshmallows.

Sending supportive thoughts for the entrance to the real world by your step grandbaby.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving back. Yay for tired from exercise.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for all that activity, but biggest Kudos for continuing to pursue a solution to your condition. Seems like a complex message from Scott - I wish you luck in figuring out the right solution for yourself. And Kudos to your DH for continuing to do the massages for you.

Hope your mother continues to heal.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for the serious fatigue; Kudos for continuing your life with house guests anyway. And Congrats on the reduced scale readings throughout it all.

LOL at the two girls fishing non stop for two days; not that's a good way to spend one's youth.

Thank you for accepting responsibility for my croissant consumption. No question in my mind that you're to blame, LOL. You might want to jump on-board having Beth (Greenville Beth) consume some real Parisian pastry on your behalf; just place your order, I'm sure she can find a way to consume a little extra for her friends.

Beth (Greenville Beth) - Congrats on meeting your five pound goal. What reward do you plan for yourself?

Kudos for working on stopping eating when satisfied instead of the old "cleaning the plate club." Methinks that's the best part of Intuitive Eating. And Kudos for continuing your exercise despite the super busy.

Sending supportive thoughts for you two evenings of abundant food. Those situations are difficult for me. Hope your plan works for you.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - What a win!!! Kudos for eating half of last time; kudos for sending the cookies away; and BIG Kudos for sending them away with your supervisor - what a sneaky way to get points, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
tip: If you eat lunch at your desk, take some time to better organize your eating environment. Like a cluttered kitchen, a messy workspace loaded with books, papers, and reports can distract you and decrease your eating satisfaction.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 116
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #71  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

WI: -.5
Pain: 0/3/8

Credits: calorie counting , water , shoes , batch of crustless quiche , PT and C visits , forcefully turning my attention away from sale-priced Reese's pb cups (NO CHOICE) , forcefully restricting my choc covered strawberry consumption to fit my calorie allowance (NO CHOICE)

I told C what Scott had said about adjustments being the opposite of what I needed and removing the lift. She said that it was entirely up to me how to proceed. She said that Chiropractors and PTs are different specialties, so they're really there handling different things. Dr. Pierce, who supervises her, was concerned mostly about the heel lift. I have to ask Scott some questions about my exercise, and I'll mention the doc's concern.

I was hoping to get down to see Mom last night, but the chiro visit ran pretty long. Hopefully I'll get there this afternoon.

ChinaMaine: for an awsome weekend! for response card success! for keeping leftover smorgasbord within calorie allottment!

Maybe nwamom's name means she's an oldschool gangsta rap fan? Now I'm curious.

Margaret: for finding an outlet for meeting snack leftovers! for eating less than the previous meeting. (recommendation: make a card to remind yourself that you do have power over food decisions with those victories as the example!)

Robin: Hang in there. I wish I had recommendations for you. I like marshmelllows, but I don't buy them any more. The next time I have an opportunity to make s'mores in a true old-fashioned cookout, I will, but not for general consumption.

Daimere: You came to the right place to ask! There are several posters here who are living testaments to the validity of the Beck strategies. This is the first book I've ever seen that addresses at length the psychological challenges of changing our diet and exercise habits. They've made a world of difference to me.

Ultimately, any book you get is only as much use as you make of it, but if you actually do these exercises, I'm certain you'll be more successful at your efforts. (None of them are particularly painful, when it comes right to it.) The interesting thing about the Beck programs is that they help you make better use of all the other weight loss information out there. If you still wonder if it will work for you, maybe it would help to read over our thread archives a bit? I also welcome you to keep checking in here and post any specific questions you have.

Good luck!

Beth: for leaving food on your plate and going for your walk during a hectic time! Huge wonkin' for planning ahead and making response cards for the situation at work!

Water activities are great for me because they take the strain of gravity off. I feel a lot less pain and can actually get a pretty good pace going. After about 30 minutes, if I really push, the joints will start to ache a bit, but moving them is good for them... slows down degeneration is what I hear.

With all the talk of gravity, as you can imagine, one of the advantages on my ARC is to experience less pain and more mobility. Getting in the water also helps me burn calories, which will help me get more fit, which will mean carrying less weight on these poor joints even outside the pool! Hence less pain all the time! (or so goes the theory. I aim to really put it to the test!)

Expressing your difficulties on the new job is not being a big baby! You're free to complain all you want (if it helps) but sometimes a little perspective helps too. That way you can complain and comfort yourself that a day is coming when you'll have entirely new things to complain about.

Anne: you!

Bill: I love the way your posts start with a tidbit of foodporn. white beans and red onions!! I hope you had a mint handy.

The best part of large memory card in your camera? Taking lots of bad pictures you can delete afterward. Professional photographers know that it's a numbers game. When the action is happening, the more shots you get, the more likely (at least) one of them will be a real masterpiece. Enjoy!

Last edited by twilit tera; 06-10-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #72  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

When it rains it pours right? I am one of those ppl who believes everything happens in 3's...and it happens for a reason.

1. Really bad fall
2. Computers
3. Hospital visit last night for ingesting nuts I have no idea what food they were in. They must have been ground and well hidden.

Ok universe, Im done! I did my three....and its time to get back to normal.

Actually had my first ambulance ride last night!! They got me to the hospital, pumped me full of stuff....and I went home about 2 hrs later.

I dont remember much about the rescue crew, but hubs said the firemen dive bombed over the bed to get to me (I was on the floor) I couldnt believe how smokey they smelled. I need to wash the boot print off my duvet cover Can I say I had sexy firmen in my bedroom?!?!?!?!?...and on my bed no less! Now if I could just remember it

Anyway....all is good and Im almost back to normal.

This may be the universe's way of scaring me back to eating properly. Im not even thinking about things I shouldnt be eating.

Scared is putting it mildly....I dont want to ever have to go thru something like that for obese related issues. Ive been crying off and on all morning....but I think its good. I need to remember how this all felt, how scared I was, and how much I dont want to be an obesity statistic.

~~~

Good news!!! Im a new step-grandma!! They went back to the hospital at 6pm, the baby was born just before 8!! Can you believe that?!! Hubs has just left to go see here, while I sit here at the shop with orders to do nothing. (ya right)

More Good News!! Did anyone see this? http://www.beckdietsolution.com/Libr...sp?FolderID=57 It is a workshop in september...and Im thinking I just might like to go and take a mini vacation and go to this.
~~~

to all the new folks!

Have a great day everyone....Im off to fill up my water glass

Last edited by RobinW; 06-10-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #73  
Practicing Imperfection

Hello Everyone,
I had afternoon tea with a friend--eeeek! But I got jasmine tea that I can drink without cream & sugar, and my husband said to bring him a couple items, so I didn't eat everything. But of course the friend(who is 85 and used to volunteer for me), brought me chocolate. I ate two and put the rest in the freezer. Credit for not eating it all. I'm still adapting to Beck's idea that everything counts, there's no calorie exemption for a couple sugar cubes or a bite of this or that.

RobinW--so sorry to hear about the hospital visit, and the fall. I fell a couple months ago, and it shook me up quite a bit. I did read about the Beck workshop in September, and am tempted to go. As for books on stress and eating, I do really like Jon Kabat-Zinn's "The Full Catastrophe" on mindfulness--it helped me a lot in dealing with stress.

twilit tera--congrats on refusing to buy pb cups--that's a tough one for me!! Making a card with my victories on it sounds like a good idea. Oh, my mother said my stepfather has Non-alcoholic Steatic Hepatitis, and is now officially on a liver transplant list. Hope your Mom is doing well.

Bill--The white beans sound fabulous!! Making lunches for myself is definitely a way for me to keep on track, and if I made myself something that yummy, it would be even better.

GreenvilleBeth--credit for leaving small amounts of food on your plate! I always want to eat every last crumb and have been known to spoon up dressing or sauce so my plate is bare. Good luck with the food at the openings--if for some reason you do take a bite, play with the idea that you don't have to take another one.

onebyone--getting through a grad meeting deserves double credit.

ChinaMarie--making a card for social drinking sounds like very helpful idea!

Hope everyone is well.
Margaret
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #74  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Thank you!

Which book is worth buying? There is The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person , the workbook and the Complete Beck Diet for Life? What is the difference between the two books. Has anyone used the workbook?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #75  

Red face Wednesday

WI-down 0.4 lbs to New Low! And I’ve hit a new milestone – my weight is below 180 lbs!
Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op. Fatigue 1.7 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue).
We're in the middle of figuring out how to make ends meet while DH is on unemployment. Yikes... Oh well, we'll be working every night this week on finances until we see how it ends up...
one by one Credit for reasonable choices (extra walking, movie sans the bad stuff)! Ugggh for the grad meeting. Hmmmm – about martinis I’m not fan I’m afraid, so I can’t give you any help there.

Damiere The book has definitely been helpful for me. It’s a cognitive approach; the book teaches you to skills that help you replace ‘bad/sabotaging’ thoughts with healthy ones. The kind of thoughts a thin person has every day. In the second book there’s a diet included, but the core of the program is to change how you think, and because of your changed thinking: change how you behave.

For example, my 2 major hindrances to losing weight were (1) grazing from dinnertime to bedtime and (2) not exercising enough. Beck’s method has helped me to change my thinking so that I have 1 planned snack after dinner and I exercise 45 minutes a day.

I started Beck in mid-January and have lost 22 lbs since then. So for me, this has been well worth it!

I’ve only used the second book (Think Like a Thin Person), and I’d highly recommend it. I haven’t used the 1st book, or the work book that goes with it, so I can’t tell you which I think is better.

Beth It’s nice that you’re full before finishing. Good luck with your plan for tonight and tomorrow. Credit for coming up with a reasonable plan, along with the RC!

Anne

Bill lol – So I was saying that I was to blame for fueling a fantasy for eating warm, crusty Parisian baguettes. (While walking down the street to your hotel, mind you…) Which was, to my mind, the likely catalyst for eating the croissant. But you certainly know better than I!

Tera Sorry your pain is so elevated – the visit to the chiro I assume? Kudos for the weight loss. Credit for NO CHOICE!

We’ll have to ask nwamom about her standing in the gangsta rap scene….

Robin OMG Are you allergic to nuts? I’m so sorry it’s made you so sad/scared. It’s true, sometimes we can be scared straight. But yikes!! Do you mind me asking why you say the experience was ‘obesity related’? BTW – how’s DH doing? It must have frightened him as well, and he can probably remember the entire experience too…

Congratulations on being a grandma! I did see the ad for the Beck Workshop in Philly. It’d be fun if a bunch of went – huh?

Margaret Credit for freezing food! Glad you made your tea with a good friend work for you.
Closed Thread