Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #1  

Default Recipe Analysis

Does anyone know of a tool or something I could use to analyze nutrition information from recipes and convert that information to LAWL exchanges? I would like to be able to take my favorite (and new) recipes and be able to analyze them and modify/convert them to LAWL-friendly options.
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Well, time was that if you were an "LA Online" member you could send in your recipies to the company and they would break them down and suggest alternative ingredients..

I assume, at this point, that doesn't happen anymore..

That said, many of us here have gotten pretty good at the game ourselves, so while it may not be "official", we can give you some good ideas..

What are you planning to cook?
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #3  

Thanks Dan . I didn't have a particular item I was planning to cook - was just wanting to be able to take recipes and convert them. What guidelines do you use for doing this?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

Well, a lot of it is experimentation and some just some common sense based on exchanges for similar recipies.

Now, just for my own clarification, when you say exchanges, do you mean how certain recipies would break down by how many protein, starch, veg and fat servings they count as? Or do you mean actual food exchanges to make favorite recipies more LAWL friendly?
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #5  

I think I may be trying to look at it both ways. Starting with what a recipe is according to LAWL exchanges (so many proteins, veggies, fats, etc.) I would want to modify the recipe to be more LAWL friendly.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #6  
LAWL Salt Police

The second part can be fairly easy, considering so many foods are geared toward the diet concious these days. I often substitue fat free stuff for recipies that are normally NOT diet friendly.. For instance, with cream based soups, I use evaporated skim milk with a dash of regular skim just to add some freshness.

I always break my recipies down by their ingredients and how much of any one thing counts as an LAWL serving. When I'm making a caserole, I calculate how much meat used per serving is in there, so I know how much I can serve myself. Same thing with pasta or rice.

So if I'm allowed 4 oz. of cooked ground turkey, I make a dish with a pound. That I way I know that split evenly, I get what I'm supposed to get if we're serving 4 people. You just have to be careful that the amounts are spread evenly when prepping the dish...

Sorry if that sounds confusing...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #7  

Thanks Dan. I was thinking that might be the way to go about it but wasn't sure and was looking for tips from others like you who have more experience. One last question.....how do you handle when the ingredients are ones like flour, or cornmeal or sugar?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #8  
LAWL Salt Police

Well, all are allowed in smaller portions, so you just have to plan your serving sizes accordingly.

You can cut your sugar use with the splenda/sugar blend. It's not as good as using straight splenda, but it cuts down on the aftertaste.

There are also alternative recipes for many things out that that normally include flour.. I would simply google "gluten free recipies"...

There are also gluten free breadcrumbs that you can pulverize and sub for cornmeal if you're planning to pan fry or bread something..
Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #9  

Unfortunately I can't do splenda at all....I've gotten a rash across my face every time I've used it, even using in small amounts.

My naturopath has also suggested that I try gluten free, so I think I will look into that. I did try a brown rice tortilla last night for the chicken fajitas I made for dinner and that was a nice alternative. I had thought it would taste like cardboard, but really it wasn't bad at all. I would definitely eat it again.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.