Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewljz View Post
Suzanne if you are just starting out, try focusing on the food only for now. I was very successful going this route. In the past I would try to be all gung ho and eat right and exercise at the same time which would always lead to burnout. This time I was able to re-train my brain into healthy eating habits, and now Im taking the steps towards adding exercise into my day.

I think this is a good approach...now if I can just convince the side of me that is an overachiever to listen, will be on the right path.
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraB View Post
Suzanne, I also didn't start a major increase in exercise right away... Although by the time I was down 25-30 pounds I did start upping my exercise, and it was easier to do at that point. Also keep in mind that you need to keep doing whatever it is for a long, long time to keep the results, so make changes you feel like you can really keep up with, and skip the rest.
Barbara, what made it easier to stick to the exercise at that point? Was it that you had more energy once you were 25-30 pounds lighter? Both my naturopath and my traditional doctor have recommended that I start exercising.....I know I need to and I don't mind doing it, it's really just finding the time to do it. I know for sure I'm not going to push myself to do it until my knee is feeling better. I don't want to do anything that might make that worse!
Luckybustert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #33  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Wow, I am amazed at how many of us on here are dog lovers.

Nicole- WTF? Just kidding, I know how easy it can be to slip into old habits. You will start feeling better soon. Remember, though, that your body has to detox the nicotine. You may want to start drinking a shot glass full of fresh lemon juice every day to help your body out with the process. You can do it, and I will be thinking of you!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/204/150

Height: 5' 10"

Morning all,

Its been a roller-coaster couple for weeks for me and my DBF. We are back together and working on making our relationship all that we want it to be.
I lost some weight but that was due to not having any appetite. So it's time to recommit to the gold plan/ modified plan 2 with luna's. I see a TO in my future as well.

Joan - My heart goes out to you and your family. In December, on New Year's Eve, we put my DBF's 11 year old choco lab to sleep. He had a rather large tumor on his spleen. We could have chosen to put him through surgery but considering his age and the chances that he would develop another tumor somewhere else, it was just not worth it. For any of us.

I have an 10 year old min-pin sheltie mix and she is my child. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old and I can't even begin to think about life without her.

While this is a very difficult time, please know that your baby will be in a place where there is no more pain. In time, and it helped me a lot, there is a website that is of great comfort. Many might know of the Rainbow Bridge poem - it will make you cry, but I hope will also bring some comfort. There are also a number of other poems that might help too.

http://www.petloss.com/

It's great to hear that everyone else is doing well with their plan!
Jillian - Baby X is adorable, thank you for sharing your pics with us!!

Have a great OP day!
AngieH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #35  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

nicole--good luck with kicking the smoking. it's hard. believe me, i know. i still crave a cigarette whenever i drink coffee..and i drink coffee every day! i know you can do this..you're an amazing strong woman! get it done girlie!

oh and baby X is doing fine..she just doesn't want to sleep in her bed at night. so DH and i have been taking turns sleeping on the couch while holding her. once she's asleep, we try to lay her down and she fusses and wakes herself up..it's a cycle. we've tried swaddling her and that worked for about a week, and now she doesn't want any part of that. she slept in her swing for a while too, but doesn't want that at night now either (she naps in it during the day--so i can keep an eye on her) and i even got her to sleep in her carseat one night (my other DD did that too!)
so it sucks. i know this stage won't last forever, but it's just hard to have to take turns giving each other a break so we can catch a few hours of sleep in our bed. it seems as if we've tried it all, and nothing. she just likes to be held and sleep on us or with us holding her.

anyways..i'm gonna try and do some exercise with my hand weights and maybe some ab exercises too (lord knows i need it, ha!)
gonna go and finish my espresso and luna bar before baby X starts to fuss around again.

have a good day!
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Joan- I am sorry about your dog. It is so hard to loose anyone so close to your family. Its seems that animals can bring so much love and comfort to a home that when they are gone the absence is certainly felt. i had a chow/german shepard mix when I was 10 years old. She was my best friend at the time. She lived to be 17 years old, very unheard of in a large outside dog. She got to be a part of all of my children's lives except Baby Andrew and I have always felt they will have a great respect/love for dogs for having gotten to know her. As with any loss the pain will lessen eventually.

nicole- great job on realizing how important it is to quit smoking. Good luck with your journey.

Jillian- I agree with the others, I think at about 2 weeks babies start realizing hey no one is holding me. Some may not agree with this but I held all my babies all the time and they have grown up to be healthy, secure and well adjusted. I do not feel you can spoil a new born. When you think about it she was all curled up inside you for 9 months. She has to experience some separation anxiety and a tremendous need to be close to someone. Just remember as I am sure you know with your other 2, she will soon be on a routine and things will get better- sleepwise.

Hello to everyone i missed!! I will chat more later as work is calling. Hope everyone has a wonderful on plan wednesday and just think a 3 day weekend is just 2 days away!!!!
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

good morning everyone 3 more days till we head to the beach and I'm about as ready as I'm gonna get. The kids are bouncing out of their skins with excitement! We started swim lessons this week so that they would be well adjusted to being in the water.

Jillian - has the Dr. given the ok for exercise? be careful with that, your body needs time to heal before any strenuous activity... all of the muscles that are supporting your organs are still trying to heal!

Suzanne - I know the overachiever syndrome, I have it too... just keep my suggestion in the back of your head if you start to feel burnout. Another thing I would do is rationalize that I was more hungry and needed more food because I was exercising and therefore I wouldn't lose weight.

Nicole - Katie says a shot of lemon juice, I say what the heck, mix it into a margarita! that'll take your mind of the smoking
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #38  

Height: 5'6

Morning everyone. I haven't weighed in for a few weeks but I will own up this friday for sure! Good news is I have gotten back into exercising and am feeling so good about it! I was having aches and pains everywhere and I really think it was from laying around doing nothing. After a couple days of exercise the shoulder and back pain disappeared! Takes all my stress pain away.

Nicole, I feel your pain....Almost 5 years ago I was a very occasional smoker...and eventually became a regular smoker. I swore I would quit before I hit the 5 year mark...and I have tried several times...I find the physical addiction easier to get over than to change habits. There are so many things that I attach to having a cigarette it's so many things to change....but I gotta do it...and soon.

Joan, I am sooo sorry. Just thinking about the day I have to make that decision for my dog makes me cry. At least you had so many good years with your dog though. There is some comfort in that. My cousin just lost her dog. Went away on vacation and while away her dog had a heart attack and died. He was only 2! I don't know what is going on lately but makes me want to leave work and go curl up with my doggy all day.

Jillian, I agree with everyone else. You can't spoil a newborn. I'm not a mother but I don't really believe in letting them "cry it out"....well until they are toddlers throwing temper tantrums...lol

Hello to everyone else, hope you all have a good day!
Kristinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #39  
Joan

S/C/G: 180/169/155

Height: 5"8

Thanks everyone. Yup it's tough! Whats worse is that I know I only have one more day with him.....my poor kids just bawled last night. My 16 year old son sleeps with him every night so he will be lost without him. My other dog has been really different the past few days. Perhaps he sees us giving dexter more attention. I have to be strong today. I have Government agents coming to spend the day at my office...of all days!!! I can't believe all of you are dog lovers too, thats awesome! I appreciate all your support...really I do!

Nicole- I smoked for many years. I have been a non-smoker now for I think around 7 years. I still have the odd craving but so far I have gotten thru them. When I quit smoking is when I gained all my weight. It's funny that I had the strength to quit smoking but can't control the food I put in my mouth.
Anyway, hang in there, you can quit, just take one day at a time.

Okay I have to run, thanks everyone. I think I need to cry again!
Hoochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #40  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Holy $hit.......I am down 3.6 lbs this week. Whoohooo.......guess I better keep trying, huh?
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #41  
Amy

Hey guys,

Joan- I am so sorry about your pup, I don't even know what to say to make it better.

Jillian- hopefully baby X will begin to sleep in her own bed soon... love your new avatar!

I cannot wait to get back OP. I have been gradually unpacking and trying to set up my kitchen so I can get started the day after Memorial Day. We're going back up to NJ tonight for the weekend for my brother's commissioning and my siblings college graduations. It will be a lot of eatting out and BBQs. It will be good to see family again!

I am trying to stay busy as I am slipping into a mini-depression. I am overwhelmed with unpacking and missing my family. Because our apartment is in the basement only one half has windows, so it's always dark. And of course it's been absolutely beautiful recently!!

I start classes the day after Memorial Day too, so I am thinking that will help with my depression. This is an adjustment for DH and I. We have never lived together before, and I am ready to wring his neck already!!!

Along with 2 summer classes, I took a Tennis class! I am SOOOOO excited. I LOVE tennis! I was talking to my younger sister and older brother (who has lost 76+ pounds over the past 1.5 years) about how I hate exercising. We all agreed that I need to find something that I love, which is tennis! Now I need to get my husband away from the video games to play with me.

Well, off to eat Cheerios and drink coffee and pack. Yeah, sounds ironic, packing! Need to pack for the weekend.

Have a good one guys!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #42  
Amy

Good job Nicole!!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #43  
Liza - LAWL since 6/17/07

Height: 5'4"

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. There's really nothing anyone can say to make a person feel better during this time. Please feel free to come in here and vent anytime you need to. We're all listening.

Nicole - I have the same affliction. Eat healthy and then burn up my lungs. Bad, bad, bad. I know vitamin b 12 helps during the withdrawls by calming your nerves.

Jersey Amy - I'm sorry to hear that the adjustment is difficult but it's still very new to you. It will get better over time. I have two other co-workers who transferred with me to L.A. and they had a really hard time at first, missing their families. It's been 3 months now since we all moved up here and they're doing much better now. I've moved so many times it doesn't bother me at all and I always love a new adventure.

Well, I've been OP for 3 weeks including two TO and still haven't lost anything. At least now I know it's not my diet. I have to find a way to get more exercise in. The nightly walks with the dog, even if they are uphill are just not enough. I'm trying to get up earlier so I can do a aerobics with fit tv or something but the last few nights getting to sleep at a decent hour has been a challenge. I have new neighbors who think all of the lovely patio furniture in the court yard means they can party outside all night with their friends. It's right outside of my bedroom window and they didn't stop last night until 3AM. I'm tired of being the grumpy old lady who always has to bust up the party. I guess tonight I'll have to do a double time walk with the dog and hope tonight that I can get some sleep.

Is it Friday yet?
lizababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #44  
Amy

So, in an effort to try to cheer myself up, I am planning my meals for next week. The only issue I am fighting is I really don't know what plan to do. When I went to the COD 5 years ago and started, I was 218 and on purple. I am now 230. I am 5'6", I moderately exercise.... I don't know what the other requirements are. I am not on any medication....

If you guys could help that would be great. With all the new numbered plans and such I am completely lost!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #45  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Jillian.....I know most will say this is bad advice....but all of my babies slept with DH and I for the first few months...then in a bassinet right next to my side of the bed until they started moving around too much and were unsafe. I also know they make a co-sleeping bed that pulls up right next to your bed that is safe. This is one of the great parenting debates, but it worked for us. My babies all slept in their own beds, all night long, when they were around 6 months old......that seemed to be the time I felt comfortable letting them put themselves to sleep. Everyone has their own opinion on this, and I don't really know what the correct advice is.....I just know what worked for us. I read this wonderful book called, Kid's Are Worth It, and this lady who wrote it, can't remember her name right now, was trained as a child psychologist and did everything by the book until she had her own children.........and after I read her book, I really felt like I had permission to listen to my own instincts and quit worrying about what I was SUPPOSED to do. Ok, enough unwarranted advice
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote