Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #1  
~one cool chickie~

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'8"

Default Dieting on a budget - Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine

Okay, so my roommate and I are direly strapped for cash, barely making it from check to check. And for him, me and my son to eat healthy, its upwards of like 200 every two weeks. they really are not interested in eating healthy, and frankly I don't care - they can make their own choices, makes no difference to me. But it would be cheaper for me to have like oatmeal for breakfast and a piece of fruit, then maybe some soup for lunch and salad, then a healthy choice or lean cuisine for dinner. And have like fresh fruits and raw veggies to snack on. This would be cheaper, but I know there is a lot of salt in frozen meals. but I drink a ton of water, constantly thirsty so I imagine one meal a day won't kill me. What do you girls think about this, is this an okay thing to start off with? And btw I don't drink soda or caffeine or anything like that, just water. Thanks!

Last edited by honeybear; 04-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #2  

I think its a good place to start as long as you are eating enough calories.Those meals are pretty low.Oatmeal and fruit are low.So figure out how many calories a day you need to lose 1-2 lbs a week.Have 2 snacks a day and you should be fine.My guess is eventually you might decide you can make tastier meals yourself and forego the frozen meals.I eat them occasionally when in a pinch(time wise).Good luck!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #3  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

im also eating frozen meals for dinner as i hate to cook, every now and then i will make some fresh tilapia for dinner, but mostly frozen weight watchers.... then granola cereal for breakfast, tuna no bread for lunch and some snacks in between.... it's worked out good so far, and just think all those jenny craigs, nutrisystems, etc... are all processed food also and they lose weight on them
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Sounds to me like you have a plan.

It is expensive to eat healthy. Grains (which are healthy) are cheap but a person cannot eat just beans and grains. Fresh produce is so expensive. We are eating salad here for 5, once or twice a day and it is hard to afford.
I will be glad when the garden is producing.

It is sad but true, a box of little debbie cupcakes are dang cheap compared to broccoli and romaine lettuce. It is easy to see how big families end up buying snack cakes over apples because they can only afford one apple or a whole box of junk food cakes.

You have a good plan
Candy
CandaceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'9

I too think you have a good plan to prepare one healthy meal for one could be more expensive than you would think! Just make sure that you are gettting enough calories.
CollegeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can usually find a store that has Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Dinners with special prices. I like to have some on hand for when I don't have time or inclination to cook.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I think that it is just fine to start with the frozen meals. I would recommend adding a veggie or fruit with it to make it more satisfying.

When I first started I ate a lot of Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, and Michelina's Lean Gourmet meals because I just was not sure what I could eat! The Michelina's Lean Gourmet meals are only about $1 at Walmart so they can help with the budget. As I progressed I got away from the frozen meals because I learned how to make meals with more food for the same or less calories.

At first, I would not be extremely concerned about the sodium unless you have high blood pressure or other medical issues. I think that it is too difficult to take on too much at first, so I got my basic eating under control and then start working in other issues, such as watching my sodium.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/142/120

Height: 5'2"

I did Slimfast for breakfast and Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner with a little fruit thrown in for the first 6 weeks. It was the best way for me to be in complete control and it worked. I do the grocery game, so I managed to stockpile at some pretty good prices. I got such good deals that my freezer is completely full with frozen dinners and now I have no interest in eating them. It's a good thing they last for a long time.
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote