Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #1  
Callie1983

S/C/G: 192/153/135

Height: 5ft6in

Default UGH! I've hit a PLATEAU!

I've been doing GREAT for 4 weeks... the weight has been consistantly falling off. I've been counting calories, writing down everything I eat, walking three or four times a week. I haven't changed a thing and my weight has stayed the same for a week now. I know this is normal, but it stinks and is very discouraging. I'm just looking for tips on what to do to get over the hump. Thanks so much!
Callie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes a good shock to the body can help. I've noticed if I take a day out of the week and eat a very high calorie meal, my losses can be greater. A lot of people do this and see results. Sometimes your body just gets use t what you're doing and needs something a little different.

Maybe try some new foods or a new exercise. Up the calories for a bit.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

One week doesn't mean a plateau. It looks like you are doing all the right things. It is normal for weight loss to slow down after the first few weeks. If you eat less and exercise more, you will lose. Looks like you are doing that, now.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #4  
Callie1983

S/C/G: 192/153/135

Height: 5ft6in

Thanks for the advice! I changed it up a little yesterday... I ate more frequently, drank about 30 more ounces of water than usual and did some cardio for about 30 minutes (in stead of my usual leisurly walk.) I weighed 2 pounds less than I did yesterday morning! YAY! Afer a week of not loosing an ounce, I'm so excited.
Callie1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #5  
Workin' It

I think you are doing great so far! Like Bargoo said, weight loss isn't linear. Some weeks you will lose, some you won't, some you will gain - as long as you have a net loss over time you are doing just fine. That being said, changing up exercise and more water is never a bad idea in my experience.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

It sounds like you are doing great!!! I think you should just keep doing what you have been doing.

Seriously -- a week of no loss is not a plateau. It's not unusual to blip up in weight once in a while, even when you are doing everything right.

There are any number of reasons that weight loss isn't linear. You just have to accept those bad scale days. There will be good scale days too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the first few weeks of a diet you tend see extra progress on the scale. This is because you drop some initial water weight and if you are eating less there is simply less undigested food inside your body (that *really* does make a difference!).

Please don't get discouraged if you see less rapid progress as you continue to exercise and eat well. The progress *will* come and you have a lifetime of good health to invest in.

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-08-2009 at 11:42 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #7  
Getting back on track!

S/C/G: 272/ticker/142

Height: 5'8

Keep up the good work! Those plateaus are tough!!
Tryingtostayskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Default Plateaus -

I have finally learned that plateaus are adjustment periods for my body...as I lose the weight my body holds on until it has adjusted...losing weight is more of a ziz-zaz line not a 45degress slope...I know if I have a big loss one week I will have a smaller loss the next...etc...repeating pattern of weight loss...I am down 30lbs in 2 months...
GWE140 is offline   Reply With Quote