3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   BB/SW/GWF as weight-loss "muse" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/166023-bb-sw-gwf-weight-loss-muse.html)

jajabee 03-04-2009 11:19 AM

BB/SW/GWF as weight-loss "muse"

Okay, so this is really out there, but I was watching this TED talk video the other day, where author Elizabeth Gilbert talks about why she thinks it's better for artists to feel like their "genius" is outside themselves, like a "muse", so they don't have to bear the responsibility for their failures and successes all by themselves. It's a cool talk, only about 18 minutes if you've got time! :)

Anyhow, I've started to realize that my Gowear Fit armband (Bodybugg) has done the same thing for me when it comes to weight loss. In the 3 weeks I was counting calories but didn't have it yet, I was stressed about food and exercise ALL THE TIME. I wasn't sure if what I was doing was right, I was annoyed that I had to put myself through eating 1,500 calories a day when I had a new city to explore, etc. I hated "going to the gym" and had to drag myself there.

Almost as soon as I got the armband, though, my perception of calorie-counting changed completely. It's like a burden was taken off my shoulders. It's not just my responsibility anymore, the armband is in on this, too. :) It tells me how much I can eat, so I eat that much. No guessing, no stressing. And on days when I eat more than I should, I'm still in control, because I can see exactly the effect it's going to have on my weight loss in real-time. Like yesterday, where I knew I was only going to have 200 calories left for dinner. Pre-armband I would have sadly eaten my bowl of low cal soup and dwelled on my bad decisions all night. Instead, I thought to myself, well, I'll have that yummy cheesy baked potato dinner for 450 calories, which will put me at a -750 deficit instead of -1000, and I won't lose quite as much this week, but I'm okay with that. But then I thought, you know what, why don't I just walk down to the grocery store to buy the potatoes? That'll burn 300 calories, and I'll get both the dinner I want AND my deficit target! Woooo! So I did, and it was fun, and I was very happy all evening. :)

It really feels like a lot of the "responsibility" of losing weight has been taken out of my head and put on my left arm. :D If I hit my target for the day, then I'm happy for myself, but mostly I credit the armband. And if I don't hit it, I don't beat myself up about it either, cause I know the armband doesn't mind... and together we'll find a way to work through it. :D

Haha, is anyone else starting to see their armband this way, or am I the only one? ;)

Wingz 04-14-2009 08:59 PM

Hi yes I know what you mean both my wife and I look at where we are at for the day to plan a meal or a treat.