Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Thursday

Still grooving along. It’s been snowing all day here. Unlike Robin, I’m not seeing a ray of sun today.
As an homage to Bill --It looks like a ‘racking, fracking’ Christmas card out there! (Translation: I’d much rather see tulips than snow right now…)
Beck – WI-up .5 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan for today. I had a brief mental tussle with myself because my WI today is exactly the same as a week ago. But I studied my graph to prove to myself that the overall trend is indeed down. And my friend practically busted a gut when she saw how loose my jeans are getting. So, I just need to be less attentive to the actual number on the scale. D’oh!

I had a high anxiety day. I had to give a presentation to an important customer team. It is a customer known for being difficult to deal with, but the meeting went surprisingly well. Aftwerwards I had an intense craving for a gin & tonic. G&Ts are the only drink I really love. I did one of the exercises I’ve been wanting to do, to see if it would really work. I poured myself a g&t, took a good sniff, and I REALLY wanted to drink it. But I read my anti-craving cards. And then threw it down the sink. I still craved it (a very little bit) for another hour or so. But I ended up drinking the one glass of red wine I had planned for. Credit moi!
Food / Exercise – op
twilit tera – CREDIT for eating part of your pizza and then putting it away for another day. That’s a huge step! And Credit for being op across the board, as well as doing all of your planned exercise.

Bill – Credit for the WFAS (whole foods avoidance strategy) and for skipping your snack (because hunger is not an emergency, right?) I will get the Fra Diavolo recipe out to you – promise! And thanks for the thoughts on flexibility – Beck can sound more than a bit inflexible at times. But I can probably listen to my inner voices to know if I’m caving to a sabotaging thought, or exercising mindful flexibility…

davidette HI! Sounds like you have a great strategy for your kids’ visit – best of luck! I have high cholesterol, so tracking sat fat has been a goal of mine for the last few months. I use My Food Diary and they make it really easy to keep track…

Tali - Credit for being op!

Jeanie Keep toning that resistance muscle! And remember that sometimes it’s just ‘baby steps’ because it’s easier to succeed if you go forward one baby step at a time! I’ll be posting the Fra Diavolo recipe once I get my taxes done, so you can always try making it yourself if you like…

Robin It was so nice to see that big sunshine-y face at the top of your post. I hope it reflects your mood. I know the scale issue is a tough one – you’ll find what works best for you I’m sure…

one by one
Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #197  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Yup ChinaMaine it does....Im so thankful this funk didnt last as long as the last one. It was beautifully sunny all morning, then at about 4pm it started storming (blowing/cold/light snow) It's still doing it...perfect night to stay in and colour my hair

Anne....how did you like "Break through your set point"?

All op today except for exercise (I walked to work but not home)

Last edited by RobinW; 02-20-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #198  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I'm not quite sure what to say about today. I was 90% on plan. I'm feeling pretty blah. I managed to talk down a bunch of eating situations and one got through. So credits on the ones that worked.

I did about 20 minutes on the Wii Fit this morning. I unlocked a new balance game, and was again "unbalanced." I also did lunges and had noticeable soreness left from last week, and my score was much less this week than last. Oh Well. At least I did it. I'm hoping to run tomorrow. I'm off work but have to take DD to the dentist, so it isn't going to feel like a fun day or anything.

ChinaMaine Sounds like Wednesday was an overall win for you! I love Shrimp Fra Diavolo. I bet you can make a much healthier version at home than at a restaurant, that probably tastes better too.

Great work on the downward scale trend, even if the day wasn't what you were looking for. And on the presentation success.

Tera Nice work on the frozen pizza limitations. I also admire your dedication to go back and get your stuff so you could work out at the gym. I don't think I would have done that.

Bill It was nice to hear a success story about Whole Foods from you for once! I though about bailing on the lunges this morning and then wondered what Bill would think if I did. Glad you're here.

Wow, that was an almost real lyric too! Impressive. Maybe I need to get a little drunk. It's been a while since I put a beer on my plan.

davidette Thanks for the thoughts on the food allergy sinus infection connection. I think the obvious vector is who keeps bringing home the disease of the week. I'm hoping he'll finish getting exposed to all the major cold-causing viral families soon, but will keep it in mind if my sinus infections outlast his dip in the viral pool.

I think there is a time to breathe deeply and walk away, and a time to just pound something. There must be a trick to figuring out which is which! Practicing yoga and kickboxing sounds like a fantastic combination for that reason. I think some of the martial arts contain aspects of both, and I may look into that some day.

Tali Good work on being 100% OP. I know building up that kind of momentum earlier is a big help to me now when I'm starting to struggle some. Keep it up!

Re: beans and sodium. Can you look for canned beans with no salt added, perhaps at Bill's beloved Whole Foods or your local equivalent? I also believe that draining and rinsing salted canned beans is helpful but not perfect. Perhaps you can Google a sodium analysis on such a procedure. I either use lentils or canned beans so I don't have to soak, but I'm also not a huge bean fan, so I don't worry so much about sodium when I do eat them.

Jean I continue to be impressed by how you are dealing with this tough time. (This goes for RobinW and onebyone too.). I see what you are doing and know you are going to make it through and that gives me confidence that I will too--I can see your patterns even if I can't see my own.

RobinW Hurray for sunshine! You sound happier today, and assuming that's true, hurray for that.

Thanks for the sucker tip! We are going to do that one for sure.

I loved Break Through Your Set Point. Highly recommend it for lasting, if slow, weight loss. I did a detailed review here. I started the RKO tracking plan before I got sick. I forgot to start up again--thanks for the reminder.

onebyone Thanks for the bean links! How are you doing? Did you Wii? I hope you caught a good day today!
Old 02-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #199  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Hi, Beckbuddies!

This is pretty late for a post from me. Not going to make 10 o'clock lights out, but we get to sleep in tomorrow.

Hip hurts, but attitude is still good. We're going to have company this weekend. It'll be cozy but we have places enough for sleeping. So, I'm happy.

Tali: Have fun with your beans!

Jean: we do miss you, but certainly don't want you to do anything career-limiting. Having studied early development, I have to say that I don't think it far-fetched that your subconscious memories of starving as an infant might have something to do with your fear of famine now. The way our needs are met in our earliest years has a definite impact on how we function later.

Knowing that might help, but it won't make the effect go away. Hopefully what it knowing will do is give you more power to resist by talking rationally to that fear of not having enough.

Robin: Ooo! Sun on the snow! How wonderful!

I miss seasons almost as much as the 300 ft. Pines back home.

onebyone: Still waiting to hear about the Wii fit!!

Anne: for seeing through those lunges, even though you wanted to skip them!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #200  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked at lunch to do an errand. CREDIT moi. Continue to wrestle my cold, three inch, bean sprouts with my chili for lunch. Can't help laughing at myself for the awkwardness of trying to get them into my mouth. It actually does help with eating slowly, so CREDIT moi for that. It also feeds my fantasy that the sprouts advertise that they have 5 times the nutrition of cooked beans. Wonder where that number comes from. And wonder why I believe it.

onebyone - Thanks for the links concerning cooking dried beans. I'm another fan. Thinking of you and your Wii.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for the realities of having to work at the office. I hate that. Work wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to produce stuff and go to meetings and talk about it all the time, LOL. Interesting thought about early deprivation and current fear of scarcity. Do hope that having a handle will help you to line up the countering strategies.

Robin (RobinW) - Smiling at your smiling sunshine. Can't help but show this. Perhaps you can sing this to your ex-hippie DH and get him to tell you what it really means:
Quote:
Good day sunshine
Good day sunshine
Good day sunshine

I need to laugh, and when the sun is out
I've got something I can laugh about
I feel good, in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day
Never heard of anyone growing their own mung beans to make their bean sprouts. What an idea. I googled some seed places and they all sell mung beans, even when using the phrase "mung bean seeds." Maybe you could just plant them and get a bean stalk. Just don't climb it, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for the lunges. Ouch for residual soreness, but Yay since that means you're working those muscles. I would have guessed that with the amount of biking that you do you wouldn't even need lunges - one more myth busted. Oh Well. Maybe you could bring your Wii to work out while being made to wait at the dentist's office. It would certainly motivate them not to keep you waiting too long.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos to DH B for staying longer when he didn't really want to. BIG Kudos for going back to the gym; that's some determination there.

davidette - Kudos for gathering up a bunch of good ammunition for your upcoming Spring Break. I'm convinced that planning is 90% of the work. Re my elbow: it is, perhaps, slowly healing. I feel like an impatient teenager. I just want it NOW. Thanks for asking.

ChinaMaine - Congrats on the loose jeans - that's one nice NSV to savor. Kudos for that exercise with the gin and tonic to fight the craving. Biggest Kudos for tossing it. I'm impressed.

Tali199 - Yay for 100% OP and marching thru Beck. Re sodium: Kudos for working the reduction. I work to keep mine down also, even with current good blood pressure. I tend to believe those who suggest that the affect of salt is cumulative, so worth the effort to keep it low. I second the suggestion of rinsing the beans; my memory is that most of the salt is removed - it certainly seems to be so by taste test. I'm a big fan of dried beans. For my New Orleans style red beans, I use my slow cooker. It does a good job with the ham hock. I do the soak "overnight," but will be more attentive to keeping that to six hours after reading those links. Good luck figuring out the way that works for you.

Readers -
"Success Skill 5
Get Moving

Exercise is important in losing weight and keeping it off for these reasons:
It helps lift your mood.
" The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 69
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #201  

Tera going back for membership card pushing to stay longer at healthclub! Are you wearing your new shoes all day now? Most people are oblivious to how essential our feet and their support are to proper alignment and overall musculoskeletal health. (I'm no saint, I love going barefoot )

As for the punching bag, a big clown face kept popping up in my field of vision (maybe the bright red bag?) which I found acceptable because my daughter was always petrified of clowns (still hates them). So I was probably safe from going psycho unless I went to the circus!

My son comes home the 27th for a week, then my daughter for a week starting 03/16. So I have a week in between to get back on track and see what went wrong and what went right. to you guys I'm feeling excited about the challenge. How great am I going to feel when I eat one slice of pizza and stop!

Tali I continue to be impressed with your nutrition dedication! I'm not much of a chef, but onebyone has come to the rescue (again). Sodium has got to be hardest ingredient to avoid in prepared foods. I don't salt anything because I retain fluid so miserably but when I look at my salt intake, it's still high from using packed items. I tend to focus on sugar because of my prediabetic condition and it's amazing how many unhealthy forms of sugar there are, and how often they are high up on the ingredient list!

Kuhljeanie Hoping it helps to talk to that inner child and explain there's plenty of food. What an epiphany! You don't have to respond to that any more.

robin OP (not walking home in the cold snow was beyond the call of duty) Daffodils are starting to bloom here, can't be far behind in NY.

ChinaMaine loose jeans! Might be time to head to the mall for a reward (new jeans)?

Passed the G&T test with flying colors! What a wonderful feeling that must be!

I was lucky enough to lower my cholesterol with diet, just stopped eating meat and it went down 40 points. My saturated fat is usually under 10 - is that good?

Anne manging 90% of your eating situations is still an "A", every day can't be an A+. Lunges certainly deserve bonus points!

Bill Intrigued by your sprout beliefs, I had to check on my beloved alfalfa sprouts: http://www.isga-sprouts.org/sprouts.htm Protein is a big issue for me so I was thrilled to see I get just as much from alfalfa sprouts as I would wrestling bean sprouts, which just look yucky to me. I'll leave it to you to work out the bean comparison, or not! By the way I could not seem to spot the balsamic vinegar dressing you mentioned at Costco. But I did stumble on some Madras lentils that are great! (my kind of cooking - 90 second heat and eat)

Water class today. I'm excited to try my new heart rate monitor watch!

Last edited by davidette; 02-20-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #202  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning <~~~needing lots this am cuz I stayed up late and finished my janet evanovich book

Ive noticed a curious thing....when I am not eating properly, my eye sight isnt nearly as good as when Im eating the way I am suppose to be. I dont wear glasses, and up until about last summer, I never really noticed anything different. Let me tell you......I was weeding some piddly little logos yesterday and I had to keep blinking to focus properly. Three weeks ago I didnt have this problem with the same logos. Interesting eh?! So yah......eat your carrots they are good for your eyes!

Anne~ Yes things are looking brighter Im a terrible one for worrying about things I have absolutely no control over. I get seriously bent out of shape when I get stressed out. I hate (absolutely hate) having to deal with the ex. All that compounded together at the same time put me in a very bad place. I like your kick bag idea Sort of along the same lines as getting the aggression out, I had been thinking about taking fencing. Kinda cool. My dd thinks Im a dork and I shouldnt tell anyone Dontcha love 12yr olds. But I think I just might make her come to the open house with me. Being mom has perks

Thank you so much for your reveiw on Breaking your Set Point. I am going to see if I can find it at the used book store down the street first before I order it.

I seen that Meg ordered it thru the amazon link here on 3fc. I cant find it....do you know where it is, or do I have to catch an ad to click thru there.

How did the dentist go for dd?
Great job for talking yourself thru your eating situations!!

Tera~

Bill~ now you have me curious about the bean nutrition. Hubby says they just taste like dirt and are full of water....so why do I make him eat them This would give me some good ammo!!

A mung bean stalk?! See, now Im realizing I havent a clue how these little treasures grow.

Hmm....he wasnt a big beatles fan. He was into some other stuff I still can't listen to Iron butterfly and the like. There was a "Time" infomercial a while back with all his music....he sat and watched the whole thing

davidette~ have fun with your kids when they visit! I love spending time with my mom when I go visit. Doesnt matter how old you get, its always nice to go home and have mom take care of you for a little while. Im sure your kids feel the same way.

Im starting to think the daffodils are buried in permafrost!! Its going to be at least another week of this cold weather. Usually february is a teaser with warm and cold....not this year. Its just cold!

As for me, yesterday was a pretty good day. I didnt get my lunch eaten until about 3pm. I was waiting for an appointment to show up at 2, and he didnt. I didnt want to be in the middle of my food when he showed up late so I kept putting it off. I ate at 3, and he didnt show up.

All the talk the last couple days about chili on mung beans had me hankering for chili. Well, since hubby doesnt like chili spice I made white chicken chili! Then put it on spaghetti squash. It was delicious! I have plenty for another meal for both of us, and probably lunch all next week Thanks Bill!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 02-20-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #203  
Taking Control of My Life

S/C/G: 257/238.4/Healthy

Height: 5' 2"

Default TGIF Check-In

Hello to all my Beck Coach/Buddies

100% OP

Very cold in Chicago. I found out just how cold when I tried to open my garage door this morning and it was frozen shut. I had to call my uncle to come over with his trusty torch to melt the ice. Oh well….

Jeanie – Interesting self-analysis of your fear of being without food. About the beans, I know that rinsing the beans would definitely get rid of a lot of the sodium, the problem is I don’t think there’s any way of knowing just how much.

Robin – It’s funny how different people have different approaches to the scale. For me, I weigh once a week and that’s it, and that makes sense to me. But, I do understand that other people feel that weighing themselves daily helps to keep them “honest”. I feel everyone should do what works for them, but if scale weighing becomes obsessive, I say – BACK AWAY FROM THE SCALE.

I’m glad to hear that your mood has improved.

One-by-One – Thanks so much for the bean links. I will be going over them with a fine tooth comb today. I plan on buying some dry beans tomorrow when I go grocery shopping. I’ll let you know how it goes.

ChinaMaine – The scale is a good tool, but that’s all it is – a tool. Oftentimes we give it way too much credit. It’s just natural for the numbers to fluctuate for a variety of reasons. You’re right, those loose jeans are definitely a better gauge of your progress. And mucho credit for throwing that G&T down the drain. Also, congrats on the successful presentation.

Anne – Mucho credit for hurtling over most of those food roadblocks.

Tera – Have fun with your guests this weekend!

Bill – Thanks for your input on the beans. I’m gonna soak them first, and then slow cook them. Now that I think about it, I think that’s what I neglected to do the first time I tried the dry beans. Maybe that’s why after about 10 hours of boiling the beans, they were still hard.

Davidette – Thanks for the compliment on my “nutrition dedication”. Speaking of which -- saturated fat should be kept under 10%, so you’re good to go.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by Tali199; 02-20-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #204  
stand-up philosopher

Thursday Report

OP 100% (Food, Pool, Supplements, 3FCx2, anti-inflammatory at dinner)

Goals for today: OP Food, Op Supplements, Cautious movement and rest for hip

I don't know why I'm in as much pain as I am this morning. I couldn't even do stretches. I think I must have strained it last night one of those times I climbed out of bed. *Mope* I can't wait for the tax refund! I want my chair!

Going to do what housework I can, moving cautiously today. Mustn't leave the clutter for guests to see.

Bill: Assuming I selected the right foods for comparison (bean sprouts, compared with boiled pinto beans) the sprouts were rated higher for satiety, and the cooked beans higher for nutrition. (www.nutritiondata.com). If I did it wrong, you can make the comparison yourself at that URL.

I wasn't aware of the site before today, but I can see how it could be really useful! It has anti-inflammatory ratings in addition to the fullnes/nutrition ratings and RDV%!

Okay, this post is going to take all day if I sit here and play with nutritiondata.

BTW: I looove The Beatles. We had to write an in-class essay for our Music final last semester, answering the question "who is the most important musician of the 20th century," and my answer was that it was a draw between John and Paul.

Davidette: I have been a long-time fan of barefoot, but yes, I'm wearing my shoes all day long, everyday, whether I bother getting completely dressed or not. Thank you for asking.

on punching clowns. The traditional clown image makes me uncomfortable too. I saw parts of Killer Klowns from Outer Space as a kid and didn't realize it was supposed to be funny, though I was old enough to. For some reason, the clowns at Cirque Du Soleil is another story - maybe because the traditional clown make-up obscures the human quality, while the Cirque make-up tends to enhance it.

Robin: back Interesting observation about your eyes and your diet. I'll be interested to hear how it improves on days you're more OP. Yay for Iron Butterfly! (even though they aren't as good as The Beatles. )

Tali: for OP 100% Try to stay warm up there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #205  

Coaches/Buddies I'm not sure what to say about today. I'm feeling much better and whether it is the new antibiotic, the fullness of time, or even a nice placebo effect, I'll take it. I feel like the sun has come out. But I'm off. I'm kind of skipping with lightness and energy one minute and ready to pass out the next. Can't force myself to eat and then, wham, starving. I'm on plan today, but only technically so, and I'm about 400 calories over where I want to be.

I felt up to running tonight and I had a GREAT run. I've been feeling like I've been turning myself inside out the last few times I went out, and guess what, I pretty much was with the illness I was ignoring. Tonight was hard but not crazy hard, and I feel good afterward instead of ready to die. I knew there had to be a reason I did this. So CREDIT moi for getting out there, when I was debating whether an early bedtime was the better option tonight. I feel like I've turned a corner on this whole stupid sickness, and am really optimistic about tomorrow. Given that, I decide to give myself a day of grace on the whole "technically on plan" thing.

Plan is done for tomorrow. It is written to be flexible enough to handle the weekend chaos, I hope.

Tera Sorry to hear your hip is hurting. Does lack of sleep cause the inflammation to get worse? It seems like lack of sleep causes everything to get worse.

Bill You are just full of music the last couple days. I take it you are in a good mood, or at least got a new playlist on an iPod or something. Speaking of biking, I need to get a plan for that in soon. My biking date fell through due to our children's activities being at exactly opposite times of the weekend.

davidette Beating on clowns, huh? Sounds like a great visual. Hope you enjoyed your water class.

RobinW The eyesight thing is interesting.

Hey, fencing is something I will fantasize about once in a while too! One of these days...

There is a "Store" button on the top of the page along the blue bar that also has the User Control Panel, but way over on the right. It clicks you through to Amazon, where you can search as usual, but since you are clicking through 3FCs, I believe this site gets a small kickback which helps support things here.

The dentist trip went very well. DD did great, no issues, got her teeth cleaned, and got a bracelet as a lovely parting gift. She was reasonably happy with the whole deal.

Tali Hmmm, shivering at the thought of the garage door being frozen shut. I don't miss the Midwest much. Nice job on your 100% OP!

Let's see. onebyone, kuhljeanie, lisamarie71, angelmomma210, ChinaMaine and the rest of our little family here.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 02-20-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking Friday

Glad it’s the weekend.
Beck – WI-down 1 lb. Read my cards, made a partial-plan for today. I knew what I wanted for each meal, just not how many calories in my dinner until I got home from the store. My hubbie made me a delicious pizza, doing his darndest to be sure it was both tasty and low calorie. And it was indeed both of those things!
Food / Exercise – op. It was relatively easy to say No Choice and shush the adolescent fat chick today.
I know I had 2 questions this week that I forgot to answer, and I can't remember who asked, so here goes:
  • Saturated Fat - is 10% about right? According to My Food Diary, you should shoot for getting less than 9% of your calories from saturated fat. So, considering the bell curve, 10% is probably just fine...
  • Slumdog Millionaire - a good movie? Yeah, I'd see it before it gets too over-hyped in the media. . The acting is phenomenal, especially the child actors. The cinematography is great - in a digital, handheld way. (It's not Lawrence of Arabia...) And the story somehow manages to be really fun and upbeat, even though there are a couple of cringe-inducing torture scenes... My hubbie's tag-line is 'Torture, Romance, and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire!'
Robin Your happy attitude has made my day! And I’m glad to see it’s extended into another day! Credit – a good outlook can make all the difference!

Anne Credit for being 90% op when you are feeling blah!! So that means you were only 10% off-plan, right? BTW - I try to ignore low Wii Fit scores. It's just exercise... And, thanks for the positive vibes!

twilit tera – I was hoping your hip would feel better today! But remember – to quote one of my favorite movies (Enchanted April), your friends are coming to see you, not your house… Don’t worry if you can’t do it all, just really enjoy your company!

Bill – Credit for your walk and challenging bean sprouts. Thanks for the G&T acknowledgement. That’s been a really big breakthrough for me – I really like feeling in control of what I ingest, rather than the other way around. I think I feel a Memory Card coming on…

davidette, Anne Both of you have mentioned I might want to get some new jeans. I have to admit since I work at home and don’t see many folks, I wasn’t in a rush. But I have houseguests coming for a visit next weekend. I’ll be sure to have a good fitting pair of jeans that just happen to be a size smaller by the time they arrive!

Tali - Credit for being OP again! And thanks for the congrats on my dual triumphs – G&T and presentation.

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 02-21-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #207  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did my walk after work again without stopping at any food store to browse. CREDIT moi. It changes my mental focus if I'm not thinking about food. Gotta remember that.

Robin (RobinW) - Interesting about eating and sight; OK, I''ll eat my carrots. Drooling over "white chicken chili on spaghetti squash" even while not sure what white chili means, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Yay for "skipping with lightness and energy" - I'll have what she's having, LOL. Glad you're feeling better. Kudos for getting out there on the run. Ouch for losing a bike date, especially due to conflicting kids activities.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for continued OP. Ouch for continued pain in that hip. Sending speedup thoughts to the IRS to get your refund for the comfortable chair. Thanks for that nutrition link. Yay for choosing "John and Paul" as most important musician of the 20th century - with profound apologies to plausible contender Philip Glass. Saw a dance to his music choreographed by Jerome Robbins performed by New York City Ballet called 'Glass Pieces.' Pretty amazing; different than anything you'd expect from ballet.

davidette - How did the heart rate monitor watch work? I got one at a yard sale with a chest strap transmitter; haven't used it yet. Yay for the nutrition in sprouts. thanks for the sprouts link. Did you see that wheat sprouts had noticeable calories in a cup - how strange! Re Balsamic vinegar: I bought the Kirkland Balsamic vinegar itself; added seasonings to make my dressing.

ChinaMaine - Yay for pizza that's "both tasty and low calorie." Kudos for being OP. Yep, dumping that gin and tonic is definitely a Memory Card. And Kudos for the second time for that; it was amazing.

Tali199 - Ouch for super cold Chicago. Yay that you're going to try again with the dry beans. Sending sympathy that Illinois has joined maryblu in Minnesota for having their senator's credentials in the news.

Readers -
"Success Skill 5
Get Moving

Exercise is important in losing weight and keeping it off for these reasons:
It helps you sleep better.
" The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 69

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-21-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #208  

Robin My eyes are so bad they just hold up fingers at the eye doctor's office. I'm going to whip up a big batch of carrot juice! Give hubby a break on the bean sprouts; if he's willing to eat spaghetti squash I vote he gets a pass.

Wish I could send you a daffodil. Do you have any early blooming bushes like forsythia or kitty willow? You might be able to force a few branches to bloom by putting them in water in the house. Hard to be gloomy looking at bright spring flowers.

Tali OP! I know for you that means lots of exercise and not just lifting frozen garage doors!

Tera hip setback; reminds me of the scale, 2 steps forward, 1 step backward. Hope it's better today.

Love that nutrition site! The more I know about what I'm eating, the more I'm able to eat mindfully, appreciating what it's doing for my body. Eating mindlessly is a habit I've cultivated far too long; glad to have another tool to fight it. I would think the anti-inflammatory ratings might be very helpful to your hip problem

Anne Great run! Mucho credit for getting back out there, especially since the runs had been so tough lately. Planning ahead for weekend bedlam.

The water class was good but I was very disappointed my polar watch kept dropping my heart rate. I'll try with the strap tighter next time.

chinamaine "relatively easy" Here's to more of those days!

Glad to get the thumbs up on my saturated fat (Tali too). I can move back to obsessing about protein and sugar!

Bill My new HR watch works fine (out of the pool!) but I was a little disappointed in my calorie count for the cycle class (218); still, it was really only 35 minutes of heavy duty work so comparing it to an hour long step class really isn't fair (but I feel like I've done an hour of step ). It's very useful as a when I'm not working hard enough, or a when I'm out of fat burning and into heart attack zone.

What seasonings do you add to the Balsamic vinegar? I love the salad spritzers balsamic dressing but it annoys me the second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup

Bounced to a new low on the scale yesterday; of course I'll be rebounding up a little for the next few days but that's okay. Being prepared for what the scale will do makes all the difference (that, and the encouragement I've received here). I'm happy with losing 1/2 pound a week, but it's a little harder to be happy about taking 10 weeks to lose 5 pounds! Still, keeping my diet healthy and comfortable is the reason I'll be able to do this the rest of my life.

Have a great Saturday!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #209  
stand-up philosopher

Friday Report
OP 60% (Food, Supplements, Anti-Inflamatory @ dinner)
Oh, well. not careful enough with hip, no 2nd visit to 3FC

I overdid it and was in serious pain last night, still in some pain this morning. The bright side is that now I know how I aggravated the condition - stretching too far to reach things near my feet, in particular my (heavy) laptop computer, and poorly leveraging my weight when climbing out of bed. Now that I know, I'll be more aware, ask for help when I must and otherwise be more cautious.

I exercised my resistance muscle last night. We ordered Chinese and I ate all my soup first, then just a little of the twice cooked pork and rice. After a few bites, I was satisfied and closed the entre back up. Then when B broke out the Newman-O's (Friday is "dessert day"), I asked for one less than usual because of the fortune cookie, and waited until I was not so satisfied, (the cookies sitting in front of me the whole time) before I ate them.

Time with friends is good. They are in town for a ConDFW, crashing here and visiting when not at panels and events at the con. Do wish I could be there too, but maybe next year. Oh, well.

Anne: Hooray that you've turned a corner! for a good run!

Lack of sleep might be an indirect cause of the extra pain - because I'm not as mindful of how I move when I'm tired, but I really think the direct reason is expecting my body to do things it used to be able to do and just can't right now.

ChinaMaine: Sounds like you are doing great! In theory, I know that my friends understand that I'm not 100% and that's bound to effect my housekeeping. In practice, I cringe at the thought of them seeing the mess. I managed to get the place up to an acceptable level of chaos before they arrived, and had hubby's help moving things.

Bill: I have to admit a level of Phil Glass ignorance. I've heard the name, but all I know about him is "minimalist composer." I've never even heard one of his pieces - a condition I may have to remedy soon.

for another grocery-free walk!

Davidette: I too am hoping to learn more about the anti-inflammatory ratings and make use of the information. If nothing else, it may reduce arthritis discomfort, which has been slowly building the past 5 years or so. (I inherited crummy joints.)

Everything I hear is that slower weightloss lasts longer, so keep up the good work!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #210  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hey all. Doing a little better..went to er because of sinus problems. Since I cannot take any decongestants it makes it hard for me to get rid of stuff. The dr. gave me some meds and I slept like a baby last night. I had not been able to breath very well so last night made a difference for me.
Not much new here but am glad that the weekend is here. The last 3 days have been long. It seem like when we have a few days off the rest of the work week seems long. Oh well. That part is done. Dh will have surgery on friday so we will see what happens.
Closed Thread