Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #1  

Default How do you avoid tempting holiday treats?

The holidays are filled with very tempting cookies, candies, drinks, etc. Sure, we're supposed to kick back and enjoy ourselves, but I just can't bear to let my hard work this year getting fit totally fall apart! What can I do in the next few weeks to avoid these temptations and stay on track?
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #2  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

So far all I have been doing is telling myself "look how well you're doing, those little sugar filled demons have NOTHING on you. They don't deserve to be eaten by you, YOU ARE STRONG."
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

to be honest with you... the only way I can hold myself from diving into that cookies plate at the lunchroom table was giving myself one day to eat whatever I want... and it will be x-mas eve. I had to make a deal with myself, so I can hold on to all the other temptations... so I say: “I am not eating those cookies right now because I’ll be able to do it tomorrow night”
But, pay attention: It will be only one meal... After that I’ll be right back to the wagon (and working a bit harder) to make it up for all I ate. I know I’ll binge, but better this way (where it will be only once) than the whole holiday season.
BTW: I am not planning so far of doing the same on New Years!

Last edited by belezura; 12-23-2008 at 11:41 AM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm not really looking at the holidays as a time to test my strength in abstinence, but more of an exercise in controlled enjoyment.

I've actually used the holidays to get back on track after a few months going a bit crazy (post wedding) and have actually lost a little weight throughout the holiday parties and treats!

I just realized that I have to set limits for myself. I've eliminated all eating out and off plan eating during the week and make sure I stick to my workout schedule (and sneak in extra sessions when I can, especially on the weekends- I find it harder to go nuts at the buffet if all I'm doing is ruining a perfectly good workout). At parties, I make sure to avoid hanging out near the food, which is a total "danger zone" for me. I've also set drinking limits for myself. For instance, I will determine how many cocktails I can have before I even leave the house. It sounds rather boring and perhaps ineffective, but it works for me (I've found that I really suck at making last-second decisions when I'm out regarding food and drink)

But I fully plan on enjoying my meals and my time with family. For Christmas dinner I'm going to have lobster and crab with portabello ravioli and a some quality pinot grigio and I can't wait. I would much rather spend the calories on fabulous food instead of grazing on grocery store cookies at holiday parties, you know?

Last edited by junebug41; 12-23-2008 at 11:43 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #5  

wow that meal sounds delicious! Hope you enjoyed it. Good points you made too, thanks so much everyone!
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #6  

I heard on a fitness and dieting reality show that allowing a little bit is OK. Try picking one day that you will allow yourself to have your favorite treat. It gives you something to look forward to as well as a sense of reward - you earned it! After you enjoy, get back on track the next day and stick to your usual diet. You'll be satisfied you had some holiday fun, but not feel guilty or bad about yourself for having too much.
SharkyLarky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #7  

just noticed my post is similar to belezura's..so basically, I agree
SharkyLarky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyLarky1 View Post
I heard on a fitness and dieting reality show that allowing a little bit is OK. Try picking one day that you will allow yourself to have your favorite treat. It gives you something to look forward to as well as a sense of reward - you earned it! After you enjoy, get back on track the next day and stick to your usual diet. You'll be satisfied you had some holiday fun, but not feel guilty or bad about yourself for having too much.
I always take tips from those shows Sharky - I watch them all! I'm really excited because there is a new one starting tonight on Lifetime called DietTribe with Jessie Pavelka! Has anyone heard about it? I know Discovery Health has something coming out soon too...

Last edited by jordygrl7; 01-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.
jordygrl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #9  

I watched! It was good. I'll need to see more of the season to form an opinion but overall I thought it was motivating and a nice idea. I should really get my friends to do some kind of diet together - strength in numbers right? What did everyone else think?
BirdieRox is offline   Reply With Quote