Dr. Oz's "Green Drink"

• Oprah mentioned Monday that it's a part of her daily breakfast. Here's the recipe:

Dr. Oz says he makes a breakfast drink for himself many mornings that he calls his green drink.

What's in Dr. Oz's green drink?

* 2 cups spinach
    * 2 cups cucumber
    * 1 head of celery
    * 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root
    * 1 bunch parsley
    * 2 apples
    * Juice of 1 lime
    * Juice of 1/2 lemon

After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings. Oprah takes a sip and is pleasantly surprised. "It's a glass of fresh," she says.
  • I LOVE this and have it a couple times a week, sometimes more. I make it in a juicer though (would use a Vitamix if I had one). Juicer makes it easy, as I don't have to peel, chop much... just throw it all in. Juicing also keep the insoluble fiber, which is important, though it removes the soluble kind. Even my husband drinks this!
  • Based on 3 servings, and done in a blender (so all the pulp is in it still), this has about:

105 calories
    1 g fat
    107 mg sodium
    27 g carb
    6 g fiber
    2 g protein

59% DV vit A
    50% DV vit C
    9% DV calcium
    7% DV iron
    203% DV vit K
    23% DV folate
    20% DV potassium
    21% DV manganese

Looks like good stuff, I may try it.
  • Is that what it makes - 3 servings? And, does it keep ok, if I were to make it one day, and use the next 2 days as well?
  • Well, I based the servings on what you had in your original post: "After everything is combined in a blender, this recipe makes 28 to 30 ounces—about three to four servings."

It's just juice, so I'm sure it would keep in the fridge for a day or two.
  • LOL - I didn't even see that I had posted that part! D'oh!
  • Looks pretty good. I just bought a juicer and looking for some good recipes. I love him on Oprah!
  • I'm sure it would keep as far as being drinkable. I have always heard the juices like this deteriorate rapidly in nutritional value though.
  • yeah, true...gotta drink them asap or the nutritions get zapped out
  • Green is good right!
  • Hello, I'm new to the site and just started incorporating green drinks into my daily regimen, although I didn't today. I'm wondering if anyone has seen an increased weight loss with these drinks... I have noticed that I have less a desire for sweets when I incorporate these drinks...although mine contain yogurt and cottage cheese and I blend them instead of juice them.