Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #301  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

It was a good day. Food / Exercise: On plan – credit / credit! (but no spontaneous exercise…)
Beck – Weigh-In: up 3.75 lbs. Not happy, but it is just information, right?  I’m crossing my fingers that it’s water (or something). But my weight has bounced between 198 & 202 all through January. So it’s anyone guess what my weight actually is. Otherwise, I did my Beck-work (read cards, ate slowly, read skill 5, added response cards, have started doing the Stage 1 sheet). So, credits galore here. ;-) I still need to learn to be more mindful of the taste of what I’m eating.
Jeanie – I’m really sorry about your bad day. I’m sending a hug your way!

Bill – Being mindful *is* hard & time-consuming. So credit tu! I’m hoping it gets easier over time…

Davidette – I hear you about the scale. You will see the effects, so stay patient. It’s only been a few days for me, but I read the ‘just a number’ response card every time I weigh myself. Even so, I have little sabotaging thoughts whispering in my ear all day. Someday I won’t hear that annoying little homunculus anymore… ;-)

Anne – Don’t forget you deserve credit for the great day yesterday! Bravo! Re Today – well it too shall pass. Keep plugging…

RobinW – Hertel Ave -- Back in the day, I spent a lot of time up and down that stretch. I just googled the intersection, seems like it would be a nice bike ride over to the DM house from Starin and Hertel A good friend of mine visited it at Thanksgiving and raved about it. So, it’s probably worth a visit.  Re your flour issues, have you heard of celiac disease? Of course it could be from other reasons, but a reaction to flour could be an indicator of celiac. Just a thought…
Old 01-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #302  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - OK, did the elliptical at the gym again. CREDIT moi. Still moping about like a teenager that I can't do weights with my golf elbow. But I did my despised lunges, partially because I get to write that in my gym journal and partially because I get to come here and CREDIT moi about it. Whatever it takes.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Quadruple Ouch for your day. Methinks you need to jump ahead in books for el nino and get Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Your story is a good reminder that slightly-hidden is sufficient for slightly tempted, but that gone-from-the-house is the only defense when the totally irrational cravings hit. Kudos for posting your story and Quadruple Kudos for limiting the damage.

And a separate Ouch for missing the yoga class that could have helped to lift your spirits about the rest. (My company switched to snow-days-are-vacation-days some years ago, but, thankfully, I can bill time at home spent working with the permission of my boss and the project manager, which is easy to get when they want what I'm doing.)

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for posting your mindful thoughts about your "chicken melty meal." It's tricky stuff when trying to combine leftover management and adding a new menu item. It's worth pondering what it would have taken to have responded to knowing that you felt "satisfactorily full." You'd have to overcome the Sabotaging Thoughts of not wasting good food and continuing with the good taste. That's a challenge, but perhaps worth banging your head against a bit.

And thanks for the reminder to be aware of the physical impact of shoveling wet snow. I am deeply vested in ignoring that I have physical limitations to consider, making me a prime candidate for being one more male who has a heart attack while pretending to be a twenty year old.

Pondering how to get that Pampered Chef chopper into my house. Your notion of tool not gadget might help. Of course, DW is likely to remind me that I have the whole basement to collect my tools, so this can join them, LOL.

onebyone - Yay that a visit from President Obama served as an excuse for both sides to do the obvious. I modestly admit to sending Barak a text message to his Blackberry, but am surprised at how quickly he responded, LOL. Perhaps I'll now text him about Gaza.

Kudos for continuing to work on your food plan balance. With your diligence you'll find the fit.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for "waiting for Bug Guy." That gets to me big time, especially when I squeeze things that matter to after the window and begin to realize that I've set myself up to feel like a victim. Feeling tense as I type waiting for the end of that story with the potential for the rage of a three year old.

Thanks for the concern about my golf elbow. I have developed a technique that minimizes the use of my left arm - LOL at the thought that I'm building a Popeye right arm while favoring the left. Dreaming of your hummingbirds. We have consistently failed to ever attract a hummingbird in our yard, using all the right feeders and all the right sugar waters. Even so, our area absolutely only gets Ruby-throated Hummingbirds; the variety in AZ just boggles my mind.

Good luck on your new core exercise pursuits. Send me some core-motivation; I'm still fighting the stuff that I need the most.

davidette - Kudos that you "leave at least a bite on my plate every meal." Bright green with envy here. You remind me that I could work on that by actually leaving something. Please keep posting about that; maybe it'll sink in to me one day.

LOL at you using your image of Jean (kuhljeanie) as the pace runner. Yep, stick to your sane attitude about the scale. Your job is to stay on-plan; your body's job is to choose the corresponding weight. Not your business if your body is a slow responder.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for being on plan and for keeping your clear mind about "just a number."

Readers -
Here are guidelines for acquiring these skills.

• Contact your diet buddy each night after you have filled out the Success Skills Sheet.

..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 51
Old 01-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #303  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Tgif

Good Morning Coaches

I'm off to the school in about a half hour. Thought I'd check in before my day really starts. I have had my breakfast and logged it into fitday. Credit moi. I arranged, and re-arranged, getting myself to the school and back today. My reg. ride was taking the day off but she's having to drive her sister into town and so acquiesced to taking me and Geraldine, (the other schoolmate who gets a ride with heart-of-gold Val who's been driving us all these weeks of the strike) downtown too. Phew! I am half way through the printing of some prints for my upcoming gallery show which opens next Thursday. I am showing the books I made last semester in my apprenticeship so I am printing some stuff for the walls. Egad they are fussy! I have 4 more to print today, and I have 5 hours to do it. No less. Probably 4 hours. But I had to scramble to try to get a ride in and then out and close enough to the west end that I can get a cab that I could actually pay for. (Expensive.)

ChinaMaine I know that bouncing around on the scale too. I am between 257 and 264. My brain decides on a weight and wants to see a move steadily down from there, but the body isn't always down with that so to speak. Eventually things will change. You are doing so well. Just keep going...

BillBlueEyes Ah! Nothing like savouring the feeling of having completed that which you would really not ever do ever again for sure if you didn't have to re: lunges. I feel that way when I put my food on the food scale. Ugh. I hate to know how much I am really eating. I just read an article in the NY Times about restaurants showing the calorie counts of the food they were serving. It was in the menu or on a card in front of the food if the food was in a display case. Most customers were upset about this and wanted the calorie counts removed. Many customers asked for old menus that didn't have the calorie counts.

Oh gotta run. Have a good Friday Becksters.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Good morning, everyone!

I think it's probably hopeless for me to try to do personals yet, so I'm hoping to start that with the February thread. I'm usually typing one-handed while nursing, so it's sometimes difficult to do a long post!

I haven't done as much as I should've in terms of working through Stage 1. I've written out my response cards and my advantages (not on cards -- I keep them all listed in a notebook because I know I would probably lose cards!), but I haven't been great about reading through them every day. I will start that today and plan on doing it each morning. There's really no reason I can't do that while nursing the baby or something instead of wasting time on Facebook or watching the Today show or spacing out!!

The last two days have been rough, and I really SHOULD have been reading my Advantages or something to keep in mind why I'm doing this, because I even found myself searching the house for candy and eating old Starburst that's probably been in the candy jar for 5 years! I stayed within my point range, surprisingly, however, but that's with all the extra points I get for breastfeeding.

Still no exercise. I have to figure that out in terms of time, the baby, and my ankle pain. I broke the ankle in 04 and it hurts at random times. Lately I've been limping, but it's getting better. Now I have to figure out exercise with the baby! It's very important to me to get back to running, though, so I WILL work it out one way or another by the time it gets warm outside again!

The scale has been at 221 the last 3 mornings, and this morning something finally broke through and it was 216.8. Yay! I finally broke that 220 barrier. I know it could fluctuate right back up tomorrow morning, but that doesn't matter to me right now. Right now I feel (for the first time since giving birth almost 6 months ago) like I really CAN do this. Like that one BIG weight loss wasn't my ONLY weight loss. Like I can get back in my size 10 jeans and my size 8 skirt that I only got to wear one time in 2007! Like I can run again. Woohoo!

I'm off to read my response cards. I think I'll read them aloud to my baby as if it's a fun little story. He doesn't know the difference yet.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #305  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Afternoon

ChinaMaine~ There have been lots of changes on Hertel just in the last 2 yrs. Alot of businesses that were on Elmwood are moving to hertel because the rents are about a 1/2 or less than elmwood. Its actually been really good for our little strip.

I googled celiac disease...Ive heard of it but I didnt know the symptoms. But when I googled wheat allergy....it seems I have over 1/2 the symptoms from allergy instead of celiac. But it would warrant a visit to the dr to know for sure. I have no intention of going An interesting symptom of wheat allergy is chest pains!! I get those all the time, usually after eating large plates of pasta!! I never knew!! How 'bout that!?!

About your weight playing hide and seek on the scale. You have been exercising, and this will hold water in your muscles to help rebuild them. Have you noticed a difference in your clothing? I suspect soon you will see a "whoosh" in weightloss. Dont be discouraged, and keep up the great work!

Bill~ when ever I hear about someone shovelling wet snow, I always get the picture of the huge big boned finlanders from back home shoveling that stuff and keeling over! It was always those guys we heard about in the news. So...even that "young stuff" out there really shouldnt be shoveling it. Ive even threatened hubby with a full fledged yelling match out in the driveway if he didnt put f'*%$'in shovel away!! It works

Ok....maybe if you had your very own little cubby in the kitchen for your "tools" because you are doing alot of your own cooking now? Think that might work? It might. Good Luck!

You are right "That's a challenge, but perhaps worth banging your head against a bit." It has gotten to a point where if the food is substandard, it isnt worth wasting my calorie alotment on it. If Im going to eat it, it has to be delicious!! But then I struggle with amounts I'll get there

onebyone~ Kudos for logging into fitday!! Sounds like you are in a better place too....Im happy for you Yah for the bus strike finally getting close to an end!! I really think it stinks that just because the president is coming to visit, that they forced transit back to work. Rather than the 1000's of people living in the country's capitol didnt have the clout. That just ticks me off! Oh well....its over and you will be able to get around a bit better now.

LisaMarie~ Big Kudos for you weightloss this morning!!! Reading your response cards to your son is a great idea!!

Jean~ sounds like you had back to back yuckies all day yesterday. I hope it got better for you

Anne~ how did it go with the bug guy and your little one missing her dance class?

Not alot new with me....been op, exercise has been walking back and forth to the shop. Ive been getting more water into me...so thats new and good I suppose.

Creativity fairy arrived yesterday....good thing too! I was closing in on my deadline.

I wanted to mention a strange and weird thing that has been happening to me. Last night I had fried bean sprouts and snow peas with a bit of soya sauce splashed in! It was delicious!!! Crunchy flavourful and exactly what I wanted. Who'da thunk it?!! I crave bean sprouts and snow peas I love it tho....its not the crazy head craving that makes me nuts....its the craving for good tasting food. I can do that

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 01-30-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #306  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default TGIF - at last

still feeling pretty crummy. i'm SO OVER winter, feeling out of it. i could count my blessings, the very pretty pink sunrise this morning shining through ice-covered trees, my goofy child crunching in the snow, my incredibly supportive DH, the fact that a wonderful treadmill will be arriving at my house in just 5 short days, having enough in the HSA account to pay the dentist, my size 14 jeans fitting loosely straight from the dryer, y'all, having dinner with my mom tonight, my clients getting upset when i tell them that my contract is ending next week, a freezer full of good food, one more wonderful yoga class.

ok. that was helpful. feeling a little better.

think i'm just getting worn out. we have a couple of big expenses that just came up, and are juggling accounts to make everything work. i intensely dislike that feeling. also so out of it, i forgot to schedule my kid's 2nd birthday party. BAAAD mommy! now not sure how to make it work. and i'm hurting to figure out how we're going to get the old house finished so we can put it on the (abysmal) market. sigh.

all right...enough kvetching. i need to work out. thanks everyone for the great support! y'all have no idea. big kiss.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #307  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Checking in - I'm deciding to come online and check in, because what I really want to do is go back to the kitchen and eat some cheese and crackers. But that's not hunger, just a craving, and I'm choosing to say NO CHOICE.

Today I practiced being more conscious about giving credit. At lunch I had beef stew, ate slowly, and threw away part of my bowl: credit. That one was huge for me as a lifelong member of the clean plate club, so I wrote a memory card and will try to remember what that felt like. I also did some spontaneous exercise (stair climbing). Credit. I'm going to try and remember some more little things tomorrow, because I know making a big deal out of the little things is what's going to help me most in this journey.

I did hunger experiment #1 today, where you make a chart and track your cravings, and see what is hunger and non-hunger. I think I need to do this again, not because it was difficult, really, but because it was strange - I think I actually made myself hungry, just by thinking about it long enough. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

BillBlueEyes - Yay for lunges! They are one of my most despised exercises, but also one of my most effective. Major credit for doing those.

onebyone - Do you like FitDay? I've used the Daily Plate a little, but end up just writing stuff down on paper because I'm impatient. Also, are you an artist? I wondered because you mentioned gallery shows - how fun!

LisaMarie - Hi! I think we're both just starting. I'm going really slow, which I feel fine with, and I hope we can encourage and motivate each other. I love that you're reading your cards to your baby!

RobinW - I wish I could crave veggies more. Good for you! Send a little bit of that my way, when you figure out the magic secret.

kuhljeanie - Sending you a big hug. I hope your weekend looks up, and that winter ends soon! Also, am really jealous of your size 14 jeans fitting loosely from the dryer!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #308  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Bug Guy showed up just in time, and with an advance call to daycare and their help in getting DD ready to go, we made it to gymnastics not quite 5 minutes late. So the night was saved.

On plan today, got in a nice run, walked the dog (for once), went to the optometrist with DH, prepped dinner, made some healthy(ish) muffins for DD, and have just finished the nighttime rituals. DS has now graduated to the big tub, and he and DD had a fine time sharing a splashy bath. I did not get to Target for bibs and sippy cups. I'll shoot for that tomorrow.

I had to talk myself down from an after lunch craving for sweets, but managed to do it. Got myself distracted IMing a friend. Yes, that sentence is dangerously close to LOLspeak, but hey, language evolves.

Spent some time last night with my Response Cards, and did some reading and reflecting in Phase 4 about flexible eating vs loose eating. I'm not sure I agree with all of Beck's definitions of what is loose and what is flexible, but the basic idea is pretty powerful. DH drove us through Del Taco after the eye exams, but I passed, and ate my leftover spaghetti as planned.

Weight is moving down again, and hovering on the verge of wndrland.

onebyone Good luck getting your green things in. I prefer the yellow/orange vegetables myself, as well as the fruits in vegetable disguise (zucchini, tomatoes, and such), but am sort of able to eat spinach and one or two types of lettuce if I must. I also felt a bit hungry all through my Big Loss, and now again. If I'm not dealing with hunger, I'm not losing. I think it is important to manage it so it isn't major and constant, but it is a fact of life.

Congrats on the tracking progress, and YES for the strike ending! Hope you got your prints successfully done. Shoot out some pictures, won't you? I like looking at your stuff.

FWIW: I also dream of being a snowbird, in reverse, going somewhere a bit more pleasant for the summer. Perhaps when we retire.

ChinaMaine Nice job on the diet and exercise and CT practice. Throw in managing stress levels and getting enough sleep, and you've got an unstoppable fat loss train moving. You are controlling the things you can, and the weight will come along for the ride. Weight is fickle. Make sure you plot it out to see the trends.

Bill You shame me on the lunges. I feel a "should" bursting to get out of me. I'm working on some running specific strength training though, and lunges aren't on the menu now.

If you ever get to Tucson, you must visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which has a fascinating hummingbird aviary, where visitors get buzzed by the territorial beasties, and occasionally nests with actual chicks are there. The whole museum is awesome--we go at least twice a month.

Lisa I was just thinking about you today! Don't worry about personals if you don't have time. There are too many "shoulds" in your post. You need to read the "Oh Well" section! Small steps, one thing at a time, and all that. I think you need to give yourself credit for 1) starting to make your cards, 2) reading them on some days, 3) making a plan for doing more, 4) staying within your points, and 5) committing to exercise. Probably also 6) weighing in daily, and 7) contacting your diet buddies (us). Congrats on the breakthrough weight loss. It happens that way for me a lot too; just when I start invoking the meteor theory, a breakthrough!

RobinW I think the wheat allergy symptoms are interesting, but I'm hoping you don't feel the need to justify what and why you chose the plan you did. If something makes you feel lousy for any reason, then not eating it is the right thing to do.

Ah, DH taught DD that word this morning in traffic. At least I'm only responsible for "crap."

I crave lentils, so bean sprouts and snow peas sound mighty fine to me!

Yay for the creativity fairy!

Jean Good for your blessings! That was a very smart thing to do, and an exercise I should take more often! You've got some big stuff on your plate right now, so do the best you can at taking care of yourself, physically, emotionally, and spiritually if you are so inclined! We are not necessarily supposed to be able to deal with everything, every day, all at once.

JenMusic I learned a lot from the hunger experiments. Or relearned, perhaps. There is a lot there to digest, so to speak. Very nice job on managing the craving! A reminder to me that it can be done.

Have a good evening everyone!

Anne
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

I could do better… I woke up hours late; my cold had reappeared! I took a few hours off of work…
Food – I did okay (credit moi), in part because I told myself I’d have to fess up to any mis-steps to this group. So thanks to all of you, collectively, for playing the bad-guy. 
Exercise: One of my goals is to exercise 6x a week. I give myself one free pass per week on exercise. Most weeks, I actually use the pass 3x or more instead of one. Today was the day I chose to have no exercise. I did do spontaneous exercise. Credit!
Beck – Weigh-In: down 1.5 lbs. I also logged body measurements today. So credit moi! Otherwise, I did not do much Beck-work. I did remind myself to eat more slowly when I started rushing, and tried to taste every bite.

Bill – Bravo! on the elliptical (still jealous cuz I can’t manage it yet ) and especially on the lunges. It’s funny that is one exercise I excel at… Now, push-ups kill me and I despise them.

onebyone – I’m impressed you got your Beck-work done before starting what sounds like a very hectic day. I hope it all went well.

LisaMarie71 – While I’d love to get a ‘personal’ from you, I’d feel better if you cared for yourself and your baby, and didn’t write them until you have time. You obviously have many more important things to do. I enjoy reading your posts though! I love the idea of reading your cards to your baby!

Jeanie – ‘Credit tu’ for counting your credits / blessings on a morning when the weight of the world was also weighing on you. And double-credits for working out! (But don’t say ‘BAAAD Mommy’ – it’s not true and can only diminish your ability to follow through on the great things you doing with your life... No stinkin’ thinkin’!) That said, I was aflame with jealousy about your size 14 jeans. It’s hard for me to believe I’ll ever wear size 14 again, much less have them LOOSE out of the dryer. Bravo!

Jen Music – Wow, I’m impressed! Bravo for NO CHOICE! And for throwing away food you weren’t hungry for!

RobinW – ‘Credit tu’for walking and the bean sprouts with snow peas. It *does* sound good! (doesn’t soya sauce have wheat?) Thanks for the supportive words on the weight fluctuations. I’m sure you are right.  BTW I tried to send you a private post on allergies/celiac. Unfortunately, the support group rules won’t allow me to do that (I haven’t posted 10x yet apparently.) If you are interested in the info, send me a private post and we’ll go from there.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:23 AM   #310  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Goodby January

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Small steps: The candy pusher at my weekly meeting at the office upped the stakes - he brought in artisan dark chocolates made by the coffee distributor. Everybody grabbed. Except me. CREDIT moi. These could have squeezed under my rare and unusual exception since I'd never seen them before and might not get them again. But I had planed my NO CHOICE when I thought there would only be excellent dark chocolate, so I just used it anyway. Thanks to all of you who have recently reminded me that snarfing candy is not on-plan. Candy begets candy.

Then at a gathering last night there was a dessert smorgasbord, as expected. I did good Beck stuff, in advance. I planned to have one and only one small treat plus as many fruits as I wanted. So, I had one lemon something bar, carefully chosen from a table of all homemade goodies. Then managed to get DW to take half of that. CREDIT moi and CREDIT moi again. Then ate a few strawberries which, by my idiocentric accounting, have zero calories and mucho Vitamin C and goodness.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - I'm touched that you chose to count your blessings when the burdens seemed to gather all at once. Will try to remember that for myself.

Ouch that the stuff does stack up and begins to feel overwhelming. Sending you supportive thoughts as you confront that feeling and move against the stack.

But am laughing at the difference meanings between "BAAAD mommy" of yesterday and "baaaad mutha" of a few days ago. Glad that I don't teach English as a Second Language.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for craving bean sprouts and snow peas. Now you got me drooling for bean sprouts. Do you grow your own? Are they the standard mung bean sprouts?

And hearty welcome to the creativity fairy. Thanks for the kitchen cubby suggestion. That idea might work; I might move some stuff from the pantry to the basement to give myself a little space.

onebyone - Ouch for the juggling required to get to school and Kudos for having your act together to just do it. Good luck in getting your prints done for your gallery show. And Kudos for continuing to eat your breakfast and log into fitday.

Anne (wndranne) - Yay for Bug Guy for showing up on time; Raspberries to Bug Guy for creating the tension.

Kudos for passing up Del Taco and going for your planned leftover spaghetti. Just love the power of planned. And thanks for "IMing" - yep, you have the right to tintinnabulate the language as much as Poe did.

Lisa (LisaMarie71) - Congrats on breaking the 220 barrier. Yep, you can do it - you are clearly on your way. I agree with ChinaMaine, don't rush to do personals; juggle your time as makes sense to you. But do keep posting, that's part of the Beck plan.

And Ouch for the old Starbursts; this Craving thing does seem to strike. It might be useful to do the Cheat Sheet on page 104 on that. Glad that you've carefully designed your food plan to account for nursing.

ChinaMaine - Big Kudos for excelling at lunges. You must have good core to do that. Feeling a little jealous here.

Kudos for continuing on plan with food and on plan with exercise. Laughing at the thought that we're the bad guys, but I share the experience of toeing the line so I don't have to fess up here on 3FC.

Jen (JenMusic) - Hat trick Kudos for: confronting cravings with NO CHOICE, making a Memory Card about it, and giving yourself credit on this board.

Interesting response to your hunger experiment. Nope, I didn't create a hunger by thinking about it. My experience was remarkably textbook - I felt hungry for about an hour then forgot about it. Just what Beck had predicted. Good luck on repeating your experiment.

Readers -
"Here are guidelines for acquiring these skills.

• Try to eat healthy foods and eat reasonable portions.
• Avoid the temptation to load up on your favorite foods now.
" The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 51
Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 AM   #311  

The scales made a healthy drop this morning! I know this means they will go up the next 2 days and the net loss is miniscule, if any. But since I'm still letting every increase depress me, I might as well celebrate the times water weight works in my favor! I am getting better at focusing on everything I'm doing right (count your blessings with credits) instead of obsessing about a .4 pound weight increase. This is the way I need to eat to feel good and have a life, whatever the scales say. I may make minor adjustments but I'm not going to do anything different, ever. I've been avoiding aknowledging the fact that I've been "toeing up" to diabetes for some time now. It runs in my family, I check my mom's blood sugar regularly so occasionally I stick myself. I'm happy to report that since I've been avoiding the sugar binges, I've stopped having the shaky blood sugar drops I was experiencing. So I can eat right now and avoid damaging my system even further, or I can eat right later, when it's too late to undue the damage. There, putting that fear in writing helps me face it.

Made it through Costco AND BJ's yesterday without sampling! I knew I needed to feel good about something since the scales weren't providing a lift, and I recognized that as an opportunity for an esteem boost. They were out full force for the superbowl feasts and I barreled through there, screaming NO CHOICE (mentally). Whew! Credit Moi.

Bill What a performance on the chocolates and deserts. A standard to live up to!

ChinaMaine Hope your cold went right back where it came from. on weight down and keeping up the mindful eating!

JenMusic I too repeated the hunger experiment. Focusing on exactly what I was feeling did seem to accentuate the cravings / desire, but they didn't pass the "would eat anything test". Like the idea of "making a big deal out of the little things".. that will keep us going!

kuhljeanie Great job focusing on what's right in your life; it's so easy to lose sight of the big picture. I have to remind myself that everyone I love is healthy so everything else is minor. I'd be happy with anything being loose coming out of the dryer, much less the notoriously shrinking denim. Congrats!

robinW I've read that a large percentage of the population suffers wheat allergies in various degrees. Hope avoiding wheat products eliminates those pasta chest pains! Credit on the water increase, I'm working on that too. Happy to hear the creativity fairy visited, I'm still waiting for the Beck declutter bug to show up.

LisaMarie Congrats on the weight drop! Reading cards to the baby is inspired!

Onebyone Credit for weighing food when you dread it. Using measuring cups I find myself mashing the food down to get more in! Who am I cheating / kidding? I'll use the scale more often.

Off to the gym - today's plan is ab class and step. Is it okay to hope for an easy instructor?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #312  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Thanks so much, everyone! I've only been part of this group for about a week and I've already felt so much support and encouragement from you. Wonderful!!

Thanks, Anne, for reminding me that I deserve credit for the changes I've made. I really do!

As for personals, I will get to them eventually, because I really enjoy that aspect of a group thread and I think it will help me if I stay updated on everyone. I like learning from everyone else's experiences!

On that note, (and ignore me if this has been done), do you think it would be good for us to share some of our Advantages from our Advantage Deck? Maybe we could do a separate thread, or just post one advantage at the end of each of our posts? I sometimes forget some of the side advantages to weight loss until I read things someone else finds important, and anything that can motivate me at this point is helpful. I'm so determined to stick with this and I refuse to back down, so I'm setting up all sorts of defenses, I guess!!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #313  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Saturday

Good Morning Coaches

On Fitday I discovered my average calorie count so far is 2020. I was aiming for 1800-2000 so I am in the ballpark. I am 40/40/20. the 20 is protein, (20%), 40% fat, 40% carbs. Will have to see if I can reach for my goal today of 30/30/40(protein).
I do love my fat and my carb.
I also saw that I was regularly logging into Fitday in 2006 and on March 30, 2006 I weighed 237.2 this was news to me as I would have told you, had you asked, that I have been at or near 250 for about 4 years now. Apparently, this is not true. I was actually heartened to see that number. I can't really even see me under 240 ever again truth be told, and I know, I know, I have to get rid of this assumption or I will live up to my own expectations!
So this was good to see as it proves I WAS WRONG and therefore, and by extension, I am also most certainly wrong about never seeing anything under 240 ever again. So there. hrmph.
BTW I forgot that using Fitday makes this whole food and eating thing seem like such a game. it's a good thing. "if i do X it will do what.... oh! I don't want Y... let's see I'll change X to x ... ah. Better."

I had the most perfect printing day ever yesterday. My prints went through the press flawlessly and fairly effortlessly! I was printing masonite plates, about 12"l x 8"w, that I carved images into with wood carving tools. (Masonite carves like butter. Easy.) The images are from my really big handmade book that will be on display as part of my third year apprenticeship show in the school gallery this week. I am having a real dilemma as to whether I allow people to touch and hold the books! My heart says "yes of course people have to touch these" and my head says "someone will break one, rip one, stain one, and you may need these yet to apply for some program/residency/master's program in the future. They are part of your portfolio and you have to keep them safe!"
I have to opt for safety so my books are displayed upright and fanned out so you can look in but you can't turn the pages (only this big one has traditional pages to be turned) so I decided to do extra work and print the plates individually to display them on the wall for people to see so they don't feel compelled to pry open my book.

I'm nervous about this show. My stomach is in knots. I hate/love openings. I have to get all my work out on display--find the pedestals for the gallery, arrange my 6 books in the very small space, put the pritns up on the walls, print up invitation cards, get the labels made, take photos, provide food and drink for the vernissage (aka the opening night this Thursday 5-7), decide whether I want to invite people or not. I usually just want it to all go away.

This weekend I am re-making my pop-up book. I have the accordion structure and the covers finished and they look good. Nice and square and clean and even (unlike the first version ) and now I have to make the pop-ups. I have one that comes up and out (a toilet) and one that's a pull tab to make an arm move up and down and scratch a chin, and another to make a girl's head move forward to give a kiss. I'm procrastinating doing this so I'll start it when I log off from here. See how long this post is? It's called procrastination in action I am very good at it.

davidette This is brilliant
Quote:
So I can eat right now and avoid damaging my system even further, or I can eat right later, when it's too late to undue the damage.
Awesome Beck thinking here and so very very true. I too will remember this as it was my own motivation for trying again after I had just given up and given in. And big kudos for running the gauntlet of the free food samplers. I am sure that took extra calories to do

BillBlueEyes I never thought about it until I read your post but Denise in my advanced studio class is a candy pusher! Why didn't I see this before? She can be counted on to bring in boxes of chocolates almost every week she has something. She, of course, is very thin. And, of course, it's cause she gives the chocolates away! Wow. Will be more prepared for this on Tuesday when I may face it once more. Kudos for your strategizing and then for applying same.

ChinaMaine Hi! You know I could do better too but sometimes we just do what we can and it has to be good enough. Oh Well... I, for one, think you are going along marvelously. Congrats on the weightloss, and for keeping track and for checking in!

wndranne Glad to hear your bug guys showed and everything worked out. Also equally pleased to hear how well things are going. And i can't resist! you wrote:
Quote:
I had to talk myself down from an after lunch craving for sweets, but managed to do it. Got myself distracted IMing a friend. Yes, that sentence is dangerously close to LOLspeak, but hey, language evolves.
Well here it is, translated into LOLspeak:
Quote:
I HAD 2 TALK MYSELF DOWN FRUM AN AFTR LUNCH CRAVIN 4 SWEETS, BUT MANAGD 2 DO IT. GOT MYSELF DISTRACTD IMIN FREND. YEZ, DAT SENTENCE IZ DANGEROUSLY CLOSE 2 LOLSPEAK, BUT HAY, LANGUAGE EVOLVEZ.
The translator is herehttp://speaklolcat.com/ it's horrifying yet addictive....kthnx.

LisaMarie71 Hi! Billblueeyes regularly invites us to share our advantages cards with each other so I'll just beat him to it and say post away! I am sure others will chime in too. And I would re-phrase this:
Quote:
I'm so determined to stick with this and I refuse to back down, so I'm setting up all sorts of defenses, I guess!!
I wouldn't call them defenses, I'd call them supports and strategies. You are planning ahead. Very beck-like behaviour. Muchos kudos to you for that!

JenMusic Yes, I have done that, made myself hungry over thinking about hunger...but I don't think it was real hunger but desire to eat food x, experienced as hunger. My DH calls me an advertiser's dream as I'll be watching tv and see and ad for food x and then a half hour later I really really want food x! I won't remember we saw an ad but he does. I am very suggestible and if I dwell on food, I can make it happen that I am hungry. Credit to you for doing the Beck exercises. The time and effort to do them is well worth it. And yes, I'm a craft artist who went back to school to learn to be a fine artist... I'm finishing up my last semester of a three year program and I have a student show this week in the student gallery at school. We are a very hands-on school so we get to build up exhibition credits by putting on our own art shows while we are studying. It's good experience and good for the resume too.

kuhljeanie Hi! How's today going? you do have many large projects underway. When I find the burden of all things pressing down on me I do have to stop and smell the roses because most of the time these burdens are of my choosing. So different than what some other folks have to deal with. Although, that whole job thing is not of your choosing so extra sympathy there but you are so resourceful. I have no doubt you will come out for the better for all of this... BTW I trekked out to look at food sealers. I am planning to come on board with the freezer bags in a week or two... Yay!

RobinW Hi! the bus strike ended, so they officially say, because Parliament was going to hold an emergency vote to legislate them back and the writing was on the wall. So ONE HOUR before the vote that would force them to arbitration was scheduled to be held the two sides met and decided to do the same thing for themselves. Well now. As many people say, they could have done this weeks ago...but yes. It's over. I have another week of carpooling and then can be independent again. I am seriously considering an electric bike though. (They had one at, guess where.. Canadian Tire for $499 last year... it's still on their website.) I think I can see myself using that to get around. I'm a big transit user but I don't ever want to be stuck like this again. Not ever.

Hello to everyone reading this and have a good Saturday.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-31-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #314  
Back on the wagon

morning my dear coaches,

a quickie before i get crackin' with some food prep, made much easier since DH took el nino to the machine shop this morning just so i could sleep in, do my thing, whatever. since i didn't write it yesterday, my DH is a BIG HONKIN' ENORMOUS blessing to me.

sun is shining and i've gotten a little more sleep. had a good run yesterday, still ate some sugar i didn't really want after my "free" dinner (once a week) but have asked DH to get rid of it. (y'all were right - time to get it out of the house.) when i stop to think about it, it really is kind of amazing that even though the binging/couch slug tendencies are still there, i don't slide into them with nearly the same force that i used to, and i don't stay there for long at all. lots to appreciate there. also had a minor victory on the treadmill yesterday - a brief (2 minute) sprint at a 9:30 mile. felt every step but was thrilled that i could maintain that speed even for a few seconds. and thanks for the notes on the jeans. i'm still in a sort of wonderment about that - i haven't worn a 12 since i HAVE NO IDEA - high school? college? not sure, it's been that many decades. so yeah, wow! and can i just say that when i started this last year, i was in an 18-20. so there. everything is possible.

i will get back to personals soon, for sure, once i've gotten the old cup filled back up. i'm getting there. don't know what today will be like, but am reminding myself that everything i've ever felt, everything i've ever gone through, has been temporary, and so is this. we'll all be fine and for the most part already are. particularly el nino.

(china, no worries about "stinking thinking" from me - i was kidding about being a bad mommy. sometimes it's hard to communicate my refreshingly dry wit online. )
Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #315  
Back on the wagon

crosspost! onebyone, PM (or email or call) me if you want some help figuring out how to get more protein in. mazel tov on your prints! can't wait to see the pictures.
Closed Thread