Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #16  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Good Morning Coaches

I woke up feeling awful (just girl stuff again but worse today) so I had to cancel my day out plans with my friend. *sigh* That's not what I wanted to do today... Oh well.

On the plus side the scale moved down today. That was good. Down now 5lbs and heading toward that 235--which would be a 10% weightloss and my first goal to meet.

Oh not feeling great, must go.

wndranne I just love reading that you are a 6 year maintainer. I find this to be always inspiring. Thanks for the thoughts on junk food. The 100 calorie packs are at times okay for me and at other times dangerous. Right now, they'd be dangerous. I do agree that a total ban, for me, is even more dangerous. I always want what I can't have.

BillBlueEyes Kudos on solving the needle shedding messiness. That can be very irritiating. And kudos on walking in the bitter cold. Is it still that cold there? Did you get that giant snowstorm Nova Scotia got?

RobinW 16lbs off?! Wowsa! Kudos to you. Your body loves you! I had a loss too and would agree that water is a key ingredient. Perhaps it is
portions of healthy food + water x exercise minutes / perseverance = favourable result? Whatever. I think water is key.

Everyone enjoy your day.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-02-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #17  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi everyone,

another flyby today...still really sick. might be time to visit my doctor. bleeech.

welcome lily!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #18  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Thanks onebyone!! Congratulations on your loss too!!! I forgot that I was going to post a picture of my snowman plate I painted at the paint your own pottery place. Here it is.....I did the santa plate the other day, and I think dd and I will go back either tonight or tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeannie Christmas 08 018.jpg (48.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #19  

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am starting a 28 Day De-cluttering program by Denise Linn that I found for free on Hay House radio....I am dedicating my mornings to listen to the audios, meditations and do the exercises.....my mornings have been my time to post here.....so I will probably not have much "internet" time to post here...(time spent on the internet is something i must also be aware of!)

I'll be lurking, I am sure....I just know it takes a bit of time to do the personals, but its what makes this such a great thread. I'll be back and I'll be rooting for you all! I just did not want to vanish from the thread, without letting you what's going on with me.

Best wishes for '09!
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 01-02-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #20  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Morning diet buddies.

Got my advanage cards redone for the new book. Also talked and read to dh about being my live buddie. LOL He said that he would and he said he may read the book too. Kudos for me.

Am starting on stage one and we will see how long it takes for me to get this engrained in my brain. I am really open to doing this now.

It snowed here again..dh said that it did not feel like snow last night and I said it did.

Plan on going to a movie today..I plan on drinking water only there. Plan on eating before I go.

Have a good day.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #21  

Good afternoon!

Angelmomma, I hope things go well for your husband and he gets back to work soon. Great plan for the movies!

Andrea, good luck with your plan. We'll be here when you are ready to start posting again.

OnebyOne, on the weight loss!

KuhlJeanie, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Robin, for your 16 pounds. We all have bumps in the road, it's how we handle them that makes the difference. Hope you are feeling better! Sorry you had to cancel your day out.

BillyBueEyes, good idea on the tree removal. You could probably make your fortune selling "Christmas tree removal devices".

To everyone else, I apologize for not answering you directly but I'm out of time.

Have a good day!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #22  

Red face CBT believer

I've never posted, or even had much occasion to visit, a site like this before so I'm feeling awkward. But I'm determined to be more conscientious about following all Dr. Beck's advice this time around. When her first book came out, I gave it an intense effort, excepting for finding a diet coach! I was very successful in losing weight and in fact in using cognitive behavior in other aspects of my life. Unfortunately, as time went by, so did my enthusiasm and the pounds crept back. This year, with her new book, I'm starting back at square one. I'm hoping to use this site as my diet coach. I'm trying not to succumb to feeling like I know it all already; obviously I don't because here I am dieting again. Instead of falling back on the excuse I can't find a coach, I'm reaching out to try something new here at this site. Scrolling through the entries I see lots of support and encouragement. It's wonderful to find other "believers"; my friends think the Beck program is just too hard. I even noticed someone had mentioned "Brain Rules" which I just finished reading and found fascinating; I love when science corroborates CBT. Thanks to all for "being here"
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #23  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Davidette
Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #24  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Today was a fantastic day. I ran for myself, starting the C25K plan over again to rebuild from injuries, I played outside with DD for a while, and rolled on the floor with DS. I followed my food plan exactly. I gave myself credit, used Resistance Techniques once or twice, and just generally had a good, uneventful day, Beckwise. Cards are read, journaling is done, and Success Skills Sheet is all checked off. I finished day 5 on-plan so I'll move on in about another week, probably a week from Monday since that fits with our shopping schedule (DH has a thing about grocery shopping schedules and it is easier just to play along). I listened to some nice music to destress, did some deep breathing, reading for pleasure, stretched, and got 7 uninterrupted hours of sleep last night. I almost feel human.

All this goodness and the stupid scale is stuck! Fortunately it only measures the attraction between the Earth and I, and not my worth as a human being, nor my success at running my own life the way I want to. Stupid scale.

I noticed that my handwriting really deteriorates when I'm tired and there are a couple of old cards I need to get around to redoing!

My parents left this morning, kids were decent with their behavior, and even slept enough for me to cause controversy over on Calorie Counters this afternoon. I got a package today from the UPS guy, something I ordered a few days ago, and with my short term memory problems, I had completely forgotten. So it was like a wonderful present out of the blue, just what I needed and wanted! I guess there is something positive to be said for every situation, eh? I ordered a new book today to try it again.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to do the NRLW Stage whatever, workout whatever (need to look it up) to get my strength training back on track, and contact my triathlon coach and let her know that we're probably on for more like February or March to start training for my June race, because I'm just not there yet.

I looked over the Stage 2 food plan and detailed food lists for my 2000 calorie level. Some of it is a little wonky- 7/8 c of yogurt for example, but my usual diet (well, ideal diet) can fit in the plan. It is a little protein heavy for my taste, and I like to keep my protein kind of moderate (most people would say low) because I feel better that way, and I'm trying to avoid kidney stone #3. There is also no way I'm giving up my regular pasta, as opposed to whole wheat, although I'll continue to measure it as I always do.

Back in a moment with personals...

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 01-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #25  

Height: 5'7"

Bill Nice tree technique. We went to artificial some years ago, because the dogs got a little confused about the nature of inside versus outside with a real tree. Nice going on the walk in the cold. I hate cold, so double credits to you.

RobinW Sixteen pounds in 21 days! Huzzah! Very nice. If you don't mind my asking, why are you disappointed with that? Hope the new Beck is motivating and helps you stick to your 21 days of exercise. Cute plate!

onebyone Sorry about the girl stuff. Feel better soon! Nice work on the 5 lbs.

Jeanie That doctor idea sounds like a good one!

Andrea Keep up the good work while you're decluttering. I dejunked the kids' rooms today, and feel a whole lot better. Next up, books.

Chris I'm happy that you are able to find the time and mental energy to do some Beck stuff. Hope you enjoyed your movie!

Susan

davidette 3FC is a wonderful place, and the Beck group is very active and supportive. Your intro just resonates with me--I started posting on the BDS thread in, hmmm, maybe November 2008 (memory problems, sleep deprivation, just smile and nod) , and you can read about my history there.

Anne
Old 01-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #26  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome davidette

davidette

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution / Complete Beck Diet for Life Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach / Diet Buddy Group.

And, in honor of going active on 3FC,

How did you find out about The Beck Diet Solution - Wow, back when it was initially published?

And how did you find 3FC and this thread?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 165/162/

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning and Help!

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome. It's going to take awhile for me to get to know everybody. It's 5:41 AM here in chilly Queens, New York. I weighed myself--I usually wait till later in the morning. I am very upset that I've been gaining weight for several days instead of losing. I have been looking at Beck's diet in the new book and tried to incorporate some of the principles. A 1600 calorie level may be too high for me. Let's be honest: last night's dinner was a rather larger than planned slice of pizza. After that I had a cheesecake brownie at Au Bon Pain-yum, but too many calories. Then I went to a meeting, since it was someone's one year anniversary. They brought goodies and I ate a bakery style cookie, a couple of bites of a tuna sandwich and had a 100 calorie yogurt when I came home. Ok, I binged. I think Beck fatigue is setting in. I am resistant to doing a lot of the tasks since I did them the first time around in the September-December work with Beck Diet Solution. HAS THIS HAPPENED to anyone here? Falling off the Beck wagon, not sure what diet to be on, gaining weight? Also I haven't been as comfortable with my diet coach. I see her every day at work, and there are some strains in the relationship.

Ok, this is my current plan. Read through the rest of stage one in the new book. Make all the cards she suggests and add them to the collection that I am currently reading on a daily basis. Try not to be rigid in my thinking--I can do some of the cognitive techniques from the new book with a different diet. Go back to Weight Watchers and see what their current diet is all about. Decide whether to be on it or not. Be active on this board. Thanks to everybody for being there. I will go read Advantages deck now, my response cards, especially the one about getting back on track. I have to give a talk at a 12 step meeting at 10:30 so I hope I am in a better mood by then!
Lily
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Work. Ate. Gym. Walk. Ob-la-di. Ob-la-da. CREDIT moi.

My contribution to dinner was to peel the Hubbard Squash which DW baked and mashed along with a green apple. That's become one of our favorite winter veggies. I learned that that whole squash only makes two meals for us, which caught me by surprise - I'd have guessed half the squash would have done that. One of my challenges in learning about cooking is learning the volumes of raw foods required.

onebyone - Congrats on the loss. Ouch for feeling awful. Hope today gets better.

Re Boston's snowstorm: Nope, the big snowstorm missed us - just got four inches of fine powder, almost a pleasure to shovel. But it was bitter cold on both Thursday and Friday.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for "bleeech." Something on this thread seems to be contagious.

Robin (RobinW) - hmmmmm... 16 pounds in 21 days is an over-the-top large loss. Is there a typo somewhere? Congrats on the loss, whatever its size.

Bon Voyage on your second 21 day challenge. And thanks for the picture of your snowman plate - now that a fun addition to a table.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Thanks for the tip on making my fortune with "Christmas tree removal devices". Lets see ... should make then organic, all natural, 100% recycled, cost saving (compared to hundreds of $$$ to have the house professionally cleaned), and fun, LOL.

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats on seven hours of un-interrupted sleep. And BIG Kudos for your whole suite of moving-forth-with-Beck-strategies accomplishments. Love your perspective:
Quote:
Fortunately it only measures the attraction between the Earth and I, and not my worth as a human being, nor my success at running my own life the way I want to. Stupid scale.
It's certainly worth considering that the scale is simultaneously measuring the mass of the earth, which could have an unusual increase due to meteors and other falling stars. Hardly worth getting miffed about the earth's problems, LOL.

LOL at the implication of your dogs getting confused about inside vs. outside with a real Christmas Tree. Ouch.

Chris (Anglemoma210) - Kudos for getting a real life Diet Buddy. And Congrats for your prediction of snow; with that level of accuracy you could replace our Boston Weather Forecasters who average only slightly better than 50%.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Bon Voyage on your "28 Day De-cluttering program." May you get rid of all the excess baggage. Looking forward to hearing about it since I'm a member of the clutter tribe who still has much clutter remaining.

Do remember to keep up with your Beck strategies even as you concentrate on de-cluttering. We'll be sending you silent positive thoughts until we hear from you again.

davidette - Yep, I for one would be delighted to be one of your Diet Coaches (and, for the new book, one of your Diet Buddies). Hope you'll be a Coach/Buddy for me as well.

Neat that you're a CBT believer - Beck has certainly made me one. Did you incorporate CBT into other areas of your life just from Judith Beck's book?

Would be interested in your thoughts about Brain Rules. I've moved it to my Amazon shopping list but haven't purchased it yet.

Readers -
"But before you change what you eat, you learn important skills:
. . .
• How to consistently use good eating habits: eating everything slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite.
. . ." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 14.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #29  

Default Thanks for the warm welcome!

Robin Love your avatar, the panda eating the X; never seen a moving one before.

Anne I just did the same thing, forgot I ordered a book; what a nice surprise, a gift that is exactly what you wanted! My mother has dementia and I try to find benefits: she never holds grudges, can't remember when I get cross with her, marvels at a card / photo over and over, each time with fresh joy.

Bill When the first Beck diet book came out, I overheard a talk show discussion and having always had a strong interest in the mind body connection, this was immediately appealing to me. At that point I was successful in using the program to lose weight and even extended the sabotaging thoughts / retraining principles to everything from having a more positive attitude, improving my relationship with others, and reducing my caffeine intake! Unfortunately most, but not all, of those gains have dribbled away as I returned to my former habits.

I'm fascinating by neuropsychology. It's wonderful that so much material is available for the layperson now. Brain Rules is very entertaining and most impressive was the author's insistence on strongly documented findings; no "leaps of faith" required. The emphasis is on how we can learn and produce / create more effectively. It comes with a DVD so be sure your copy includes that. I've been 100% satisfied with purchasing books in used condition via BIGWORDS.com. I'm a big reader so my habit of eating while reading is going to be a big hurdle.

I found 3FC by googling "beck diet coach" and this forum seems to be just what I need. I'm struggling with the urge to jump right back on my old diet: very low calorie, lots of exercise, because it does work for me; obviously I can't maintain it. It seems very fortuitous a new Beck book offers new tools right when I'm starting over with the program. I have to resist jumping ahead; take it step by step, and practice the skills before I actually diet. When that time comes, I'm going to use the Beck thin plan. I'm a vegetarian but I'm sure I can make it work anyway.

Wow, you've maintained your weight for 1 year and 9 months! I can't imagine not being obsessed with food; either undereating or overeating. Do you find you have more time and energy for other things because maintanence has become a habit? That's one of my dreams. I would say "goal" but it feels more like a dream.

Anyone else out there a vegetarian? I do eat eggs and fish but no chicken, pork or beef. Someday I hope to eliminate refined flour and sugar, but .... baby steps for now!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #30  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

happy saturday my coaches,

sinus draining has begun in earnest. while it's not exactly entertaining, it's progress in the right direction, and i'm glad for it. beloved DH took el nino to get a much-needed haircut this morning, so i have a little negotiable time. much treasured! i'm going to pick up my drycleaning and luggage from the repair place. funny that this is enough to get me excited these days.

i've started making plans for the first initial weaning from bistro. i put together a grocery list and meal plan to start making my own breakfasts (similiar to my favorite bistro meals.) it's really more for cost-savings than anything else right now, but i'm hoping it will build my confidence that some day i will be able to maintain a healthy weight without the delivery service. still very very happy with them - i'm within a pound of my pre-cruise weight, and have PMS. can't ask for more!

welcome davidette!!!

hi lily! yes, and yes. oh, yeah. been there. i have to admit that there are whole sections of the work that i've just, well, not done because they seem to onerous (7 question technique, anyone?) do you think you're not losing weight on the 1600 plan because it's too many calories, or because you're struggling to stay on it? i find it hard to tell what's working when i meander (binge). there's no shame in trying another plan if the one you're on isn't working - but it might be worth figuring out what it is about it that's not working (as opposed to assuming it's the calorie level.) could be your macronutrient ratio, exercise, etc. just a thought.

angelmomma, it's nice to hear the change in your voice! can't wait to hear how things go for you.

onebyone, so pleased to hear that you're back in the saddle and feeling good about your progress. have you found those decal thingies for the cabinets?

anne, sounds absolutely lovely! second bill - love thinking of the scale as something that measures "the attraction between myself and the earth." LOVE it.

good luck andrea! i love hay house. i'm a big michael neill fan. cheers! and kudos to you for being proactive in making space for one thing by consciously reducing time spent on something else instead of cramming.

hi bill! we've got a tiny 50's aluminum tree we put up, but we hang it with dreidls and hannukah gelt. for some reason that tickles me. not a big deal to take down, either - just a few shavings.

waving at susan and robin!
Closed Thread