Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #211  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default blah...whine...moan...

morning all,

having a bit of a rough time at work. my client is going through a "transition" with IT, and i was told yesterday that my contract is considered discretionary. basically, i'm billing only 50% and my contract could be cancelled at any time. i've been a consultant for many, many years, and it's part of the gig. i'm not out of a job or anything, but i've been here since i returned from maternity leave and i really like it. the people i work with, the respect with which i've been treated, the super interesting work i've been doing, not to mention the wonderful yoga and free use of the company gym...(sigh)...i don't know what the future will look like, but it will surely require changes in my schedule and routine. for all i know it might be better, but i don't know. i can't imagine that i'd lose my job over it, but it certainly doesn't help my standing and it's the worst possible time for it. i realize that there's no point in worrying about something that hasn't happened, but somehow that doesn't make me feel better. i guess the good news is that i have no inclination to eat over it. i kind of don't know what would make me feel better. exercise is great but the effects don't last very long. time will tell, i guess. i'm also dragging because el nino had another rough night. i wish i knew what the !#*@ was up with him.

yesterday's workout was annoying - the power went out, so i had to use an elliptical to mimic a HIIT run. doesn't quite do it. hopefully today will be a good, productive hill workout. yoga seemed a little easier than usual. making good progress on the bistro replacement project - tried cooking sous vide for the first time last night. will know how it turned out in about 20 minutes.

heidi, your trip sounds wonderful. can i come too??? and bill, mazel tov on snitty lunging. what a great way to channel irritation! davidette, agreed - ignore the still, small voice telling you to do laundry. it'll shut up eventually. anne, so glad that your migraine didn't come with headaches. i get the full-blown ones. i can imagine how icky it would be to get the eye stuff by itself - but that's definitely something to be grateful for (that you don't get the intense pain with it.) looking forward to the day my own DS correctly uses the blue language my DH occasionally uses when he forgets that DS repeats every word we say. fortunately, i never slip around my little angel and robin, you GO, girl! it's a fabulous place to be, isn't it? send some happy dust my way.

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 01-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #212  
helpingrachel

[B]Diet Coaches/buddies:[B]
Had another great day of staying on plan. Thanks for all the encouragment about starting to exercise. I have made a committment to go to the gym tonight with my daughter. Tomorrow is Fat Friday at work. Each Friday we have two teachers bring in a wide array of foods to munch on. I am writing out my thoughts on this as I don't want to consider it a reward anymore. I will pack my own veggies and have a few other items to help with the temptations.

Jeanie: I love the fact that you are finding a practical alternative to your bistro meals. I wish you the best and hope you continue to be inspired!
RobinLove the idea of having 21 challenges. I fully agree with you on the importance of s support cast of characters to help with the head and body changes.

AnneLoved your DD story. I have 3 kids and have many to go with that...my favorite being my son saying some choice words in kindergarten and then saying my daddy say that when he has power tools in his hands!

Davidettethanks for your encouragement to me about exercising and sharing that about you eating out plan. Good job! i have heard that just cause one egg breaks you don;t go and break the other 11. I love that Beck calls them mistakes not cheats......(really changed my brain on that one.

Lily Love, Love your ideas on how to treat yourself nice without high cal foods. Been pondering that myself....great job on keeping things in line
Lucky Charms Welcome to a great support group, I am totally new as well
Chris Good job on stopping and leaving food! That is a challenge.

Well have to stop and run some kids to appointments. Hi to everyone else and will check in later

Rachel
Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Beckies on the Grow!

OMG, I can't believe what has happened to our team! It has exploded. Granted, Beck has a new book, is a credible, step-by-step-gaining-credibility-every-day, but the fact is, it can't be said enough.....

THANK YOU, BillBE! Thank you. You are the one constant to this entire effort. It can't be said enough. I think back to the old days......just a few of us, and you bought in, and just stepped up and have never waivered, never failed...I don't think you have missed a day since you committed to this thread..even on work travels, etc......you found a way to check in and call us all to action. YOu have led. Thank you.

I never have been able to get my arms around personals that respond to everyone. I console myself with the fact that you all speak to me at some point, and when it so clearly speaks to me, and calls me, and is so TRUE for me, I can at least respond to that. All I have to give is that the effort is worth it, takes a lot of commitment, as is evidenced on the maintainers thread, but is better laid out as a plan of action, step by step, HERE, with the Beck Blueprint than anywhere else. I am now more than 6 yrs. in this effort, and it is worth it EVERY DAY!.....(and I am no where NEAR as good at it as BillBE!!)

I so love our team.....and the "A" type personalities.........I think Beck especially appeals to us.......and speaking of that, wndranne.....OMG

[I]"davidette I got the scales to have less power over me by weighing myself something like every hour for a week. It sounds pretty obsessive, but I got to know how much my clothes weighed, how much I weighed before and after lunch, before and after working out, what variation I got from different scales and what not. After seeing as much as a 10 lb difference in a single day, I find it hard to get really worked up over small day-to-day fluctuations. It is the longer term trends that I watch now."

Pretty obsessive? Not so much. Pretty damned determined, you betcha! LOVE it!!!! Kudos, would never have thought of that. I think you should be on the think tank to "fix" the economy.

Landlady6, it will be interesting if you end up on Jury Duty. Have always been able to make the case for "I have to work" but it would be fascinating, wouldn't it?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 165/162/

Height: 5'4"

anne,I think I may have visual migraines. A large flashing multicolored orb in my field of vision a few months ago sent me running to an opthalmologist and a neurologist. I have no clear answer as to what it was, but I had an MRI of my brain and a lot of blood tests. What do your symptoms look like? And I hope you continue to feel better!
Robin, kudos on the weight loss! I hope the event goes well--I'd love to know more about your business. Yay for bunless burgers and broccali!! And good for you for loose clothes. (I liked peek a boob--I've had that problem too with clothes when my weight changes.)
Jean, congrats on the 160's! Good for you with the exercise, too bad about the uncomfortable side effects.
davidette,kudo's on exercising. I made a card from CBDFL, "my weight isn't who I am. It isn't a measure of my worth. It's just a number that tells me important information." How my self-esteem has suffered throughout life from those "bad" weigh in's. The scale definitely has had a lot of power over me, you are not alone...
rachel, good for you for sticking with this group!
Lucky Charms, kudos for you for getting all three books! The slow weight loss ideas sounds great, enjoy every day and the learning it brings.
one by one,hang in there! Kudos for exercising. Don't let the photos have so much power over you. These days, photos are more or less forgotten as soon as people have seen them once! I wouldn't make any goals around the photos at all. Lose weight when you are ready in a way that works for you.
angelmomma, good for you for being on plan!
landlady, enjoy the great weekend plan!
Bill, sorry about the golf elbow, kudos on sticking with the exercise. I am exhausting myself thinking about exercise, but haven't done it much!

I just realized something. When I am on this board typing I'm not eating or planning to eat!! So that's how this support group works!!! (Unfortunately I'm not exercising either. Oh well.)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #215  

Height: 5'7"

Diet Coaches/Buddies I'd like to say I had an on plan day, but with everything last night, I forgot to make a plan for today. But the day was predictable and I was right where I wanted to be. I have my plan for tomorrow. I got a pass on today's plan because of the migraine.

Tomorrow I'm off work and the kids are in daycare. I have a massage scheduled. Meeting a friend for lunch. And I get to make a vat of mud for DD's science party on Saturday night (yeah, we won't be starring in a beer commercial any time soon, heh). Oh, yeah, and I'm gonna run, Run, RUN!! I am SO HOPING that DS doesn't spike another fever.

RobinW It is so nice to hear how excited you are with all the progress you are making! You are working so hard for it, and it is paying off for you.

Migraines are so weird. My sister gets them and instead of a headache, her arms and/or legs go numb. That was a tough diagnosis for her doctors, with scary things like MS getting tossed around before they finally found out what it was. "Fortunately" I get a headache with mine often enough, and almost always with the same visual symptoms that I knew what was happening.

LOL on your DD's "inappropriate behavior." My DD is very familiar with the word "cooperate." People comment on it.

Jean I hope your employment situation gets settled before long. The uncertainty must be stressful, and that isn't helped any when el nino (and you) aren't sleeping.

Rachel At least you can blame your DD's father (your DH?) for the language! Unfortunately, it's all me in this house.

Sounds like your Fat Friday planning is going well. In addition to planning, I'll often visualize myself making good choices, and feeling happy and in control about that. I find it helps if I've "practiced."

maryblu Ah, clearly you haven't reached the depths of scale worship as I have. The only economy I have a hope of fixing is Amazon's, as I am now a line item on their income statement, LOL! Curse the one click prime shipping. It is the shopper's equivalent of Reese's PB Cups.

I would love to hear your 6 year story sometime!

Anne
Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #216  

Height: 5'7"

Lily, crosspost!

Visual migraines are strange for me. Last night, it "hurt" to look at moving objects. One time I looked at a piece of graph paper and could see the horizontal lines, but not the vertical ones. I often develop holes in my vision, blind spots or areas. Sometimes there is a sense that things just look wrong, and not in a way I can describe (the vertical line thing may have been like this had the graph paper not been around). I don't recall having one that involved colors or flashing, but I could just be forgetting, and it wouldn't surprise me, although I do tend to lose "real" images (or some component of it) rather than see something that isn't. I also have the sense/awareness that the images and/or data are still there in my brain, but I'm not processing them in a way that makes sense. This all started for me, or at least rose to my level of awareness, in my mid 20s, and I probably get one now every 2-4 months.

I have to pay attention because once it starts, I have about 45 min of useful vision before it gets bad, and I usually like to get myself home so I'm not trapped somewhere unable to drive. I also usually feel a little spacey, unless I get a headache with it, and then I just feel awful, pounding pain, almost always one-sided. The episodes usually start mid to late morning and are finished by 6 pm, although there are exceptions to that, like last night.

I actually find this all fascinating. And I'm aware that I have the luxury of fascination because I'm fortunate not to have pain most of the time. I have a friend who has BAD migraines, every couple weeks, and I've seen how bad it can get.

I hope you get a good diagnosis. Brain malfunctions are scary.

Anne
Old 01-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #217  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had to confront, again, good dark chocolates passed around during a meeting. I passed. CREDIT moi. Am not too pleased that this might become a weekly thing.

I'm annoyed with myself that I let a small schedule change mess up my after work walk. I stayed at the office later than I had planned so that when I got home, taking a walk would mean that I'd miss dinner with DW who was going out. So I skipped it. In the early days of my Healthy Journey, I'd have done the walk without question. So, I have some work to do. Oh Well.

maryblu - Kudos for six years on your healthy journey. It's so good for me to be reminded that long term is possible, and to be reminded that it still takes effort. And thank you for all the kind words.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for completing your second 21 day challenge. And Congrats for all your clothes fitting victories. I'm just loving how upbeat your postings are; you're single handedly lifting the spirits of this thread.

Thanks for the offer of the sports injury consultant. Yes, I suspect I could use help to get out of my snit and thinking sanely about this.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for the job status uncertainty; that uncertainty part is such a bummer. Big Kudos for not being drawn to eating to smother the feelings.

Can't wait to hear the results of cooking sous vide. Methinks part of the reason that sous vide appeals to me is that I have no idea what recipes mean when they say "now reduce the flame to medium high."

onebyone - Waving. Sending resolution thoughts to all parties in the transportation strike.

Anne (wndranne) - Glad you're feeling better. Thanks for the description of visual migraine - I didn't know about that. Easy to imagine that's a hard condition to diagnose if you're not aware of it.

LOL at "What possessed you to order up a truckload of tempting BBQ?" Yep, not so swift to bring it in the house and then try to avoid it. The family crowd had collectively set their hearts on this particular take-out; all five had ganged up on me. For whatever reason it just wasn't to be a grilled salmon night.

And LOL at the repercussions of your DD's use of "crap." Reminds me that my DS once properly referred to a dog's 'anus' causing his nursery school teacher to ever after think of him as a genius, his mother to be proud of having used proper names around him, and me to be mortified at the thought of him in middle school having to ask a buddy what an 'a**hole' was.

Lily (lilyyoung) - LOL at the thought of exhausting yourself thinking about exercising. Keep it up; the exercise is wiggling about in there wanting to be released. You'll get there.

davidette - Kudos for such a good solution to the unknown restaurant situation. And Kudos for not having eaten the other half of the wrap already. It's not unknown for someone to nobly bring home half of a restaurant dish then wolf it down before they go to bed, LOL.

Thanks for the "it could be worse" scenario. It certainly won't do for me to feel sorry for myself.

Rachel (helping rachel) - Ouch for "Fat Friday." Whatever it means, it certainly doesn't sound like Healthy Friday, LOL. Yay for plans to go to the gym with your DD; hope that worked out.

Readers -
"Stage 1
The Success Skills Plan

Skill 5: Get Moving. (page 69).
..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 50.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #218  

onebyone Lily is absolutely right, people look at a group shot, find themselves, and throw it in a drawer. It's like a blemish on your face, no one notices it but you. I've used a picture taking event as a goal before, and it never has worked, so I resolve right now to cut it out. Just creates anxiety we don't need.

robin Wow 21 days on plan! Struggling here on day 5 so I can really appreciate your accomplishment. Glad to hear it's gets easier. Wear your loose clothes like a badge of honor! Hearing the joy you are experiencing with your success is so motivating!

kuhljeanie Sorry to hear about the employment uncertainty. Worrying, or struggling not to worry, takes so much energy. It will all work out for the best, in the long run. Workouts really help with stress relief, don't they? Especially the "enforced" peacefulness of yoga.

rachel Congrats for making a gym commitment and planning a way out of a "fat friday" disaster with your own treats. I love the egg breaking image; visual concepts are more likely to pop in my head when I need them.

Anne Your visual migraines do sound fascinating; although of course I'm sorry you have to deal with them. Have you read "My stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte-Taylor? If you are interested in how the brain processes information you would like it. Actually there are a few short videos of her on the web that give you an idea of the book's theme and tone; slightly comical, very upbeat, given she (a neuroscientist herself) is talking about having a stroke.

Wrench in the works today; mom's heat is off. Somehow I feel guilty lounging in a hot tub after a vigorous heated pool class while she lies huddled in bed under blankets. I'm off to buy portable heaters, does that count as spontaneous exercise? This cancels my lunch out so that could be considered a lucky break from temptation. Maybe I'll plug my treadmill in and see if it still works, it's functioned as a clothes rack for the last 5 years!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #219  

Oops, forgot - call for help: I've been assigned to bring the desert for a lunch on Monday. (How cruel is that? ) The suggestion was choc. chip cookies Does anyone have any suggestions or a recipe for something similar that won't disappoint the group OR ruin any hope of an on-plan day? I'm thinking of searching at allrecipes.com but any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #220  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up TGIF Becksters!

Good Morning Coaches

Well things are feeling lighter today. My library trip was a success and I came out of there with a foodplan that meets my criteria of not too many rules but I need some and I do not want to eliminate whole food groups and DH must be able to participate and it must be basically how I would eat FOREVER...hence the need for a basic amount of variety. I read about the G.I. diet (glycemic index) at the library and then when my lift home dropped me off at the mall I went to the bookstore and picked up The g.i. diet EXPRESS for Busy People (with 50 speedy recipes)
Is this me or is it not me?
Hello?

And so today, even though I loathe to do it I am taking a cab. I don't like taking cabs...resent the $, but am thanking my stars that there are cabs and this enables me to do what I need to do. I am off to the grocery store, part of a strip mall with my art store in it, and across the street from my bank where I also need to go so I can kill 3 birds with one stone AND stock the pantry with good food AND bring home a special treat for DH for being smart enough to figure out a way to make enough $ to cover my school costs, give me $ to cover credit card payments, enough $ for groceries and cab fare. That deserves special treatment. Oh and on top of this bounty we are going to the movies today and I'll use the points I have on my local movie points card to get us in free. We are seeing Frost/Nixon. I am SOOOO looking forward to it.

As for the on-going transit strike, nothing's happening. No change. I seem to be okay with it after my meltdown precipitated by the hope that it would end. that's gone now. The city has allocated 500K to be dispursed by community centeres for low income folks trying to get back and forth to work (low wages= all your money for daily cabs ... many people have lost their jobs already) for taxi chits and for housing $ and food $ if they are spending everything they have on transportation. They put 200K into emergency funds on Jan 9 and it was gone in 10 days. Now the aforementioned 500K. So many many way way worse off than me. BUT I have decided to put my frustrations into my art and my first apprenticeship special project (for those who don't know I am a 3rd year art student about to graduate this spring) of this term (I am doing printmaking as opposed to the book binding I did last term) is a series of linoleum block prints about the bus strike. I just starting cutting Mayor Larry O'Brien from the lino block. Oh what emotion he calls up in this town! I will do some scenes from the strike and also the head of the transit union, as equally reviled as Mayor Larry, and then this led me to thinking I could do a series of Mayor Larry portraits later on (I've attached his mayoral portrait picture). And/or some portraits of people we love to hate. Oh...so exciting for me! So I think because I found a foodplan and because I found a solid direction for my most important school project I am feeling better/lighter.

yay! credit moi for slogging through to the other side.

I've got to get it together to leave for the store soon so I'll sign off for now but will be back for personals later. to all who read this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg larrysmile.jpg (20.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #221  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidette View Post
Oops, forgot - call for help: I've been assigned to bring the desert for a lunch on Monday. (How cruel is that? ) The suggestion was choc. chip cookies Does anyone have any suggestions or a recipe for something similar that won't disappoint the group OR ruin any hope of an on-plan day? I'm thinking of searching at allrecipes.com but any advice would be appreciated.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Hgs-So-Goo...oints-1-330157

I thought I'd poke around on the net and found the above recipe. Many of the sugars are substituted and the fat count is really low too. I guess since I don't know what's on your plan to begin with, I don't know what constitutes you being off plan..? I would opt for bringing the healthiest version of the request and if it still ain't for you, bring something that is for you. Or get someone else to make it. Or just make what you can have. If they are unhappy with it, they'll ask someone else next time and you won't have to do this again! Good luck!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #222  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default happy friday!

hey everyone,

feeling a little better today. i told DH my troubles, and realized while i was talking that my anxiety has more to do with not knowing how i'm going to schedule regular exercise if i can't do it at work, than in being on the bench for a week or two, or going to a new client. that's kind of crazy, huh? he's wonderful - helped me figure out what's really the problem, told me that we could just buy a treadmill to make it easier. i LOVE him. a lot.

had a little beckie "a-ha" moment last night. after dinner i was hungry, and still had 200 cals left for the day. lovely! so i thought i'd try a new protein bar that came in the last shipment of snacks. it was 430 calories, so i cut it in half. i was just about to put it in my mouth, when i realized that it didn't look all that appealing, and i didn't want THAT to be my 200 calories. i could do better. so i put it in a ziplog bag and got one of my protein cookies instead, which i love, and which are only 150 calories. it's just a small thing, but i'm paying more attention to only eating what i REALLY want instead of what's there. it won't kill me either if no one eats those bars (i only bought 2) and we end up dumping them. no big deal.

also, the next time i say that exercise isn't that effective a mood lifter because the results don't last very long, can someone give me a cyber bonk on the head? exercise is a PRIMO mood lifter. i felt about a million times better after working out last night. makes me even more excited about the possibility of getting a good treadmill for home.

rachel, i second everyone giving you a huge thumbs up for "practicing" what you're going to do for fat friday. have a great time at the gym! i was thinking about you today when i went to the break area and someone had left three cartons of swiss chocolate truffles for the taking. had that moment of, em, consideration, and then thought back to the yummy stuff i'd brought for myself. turned and left. thanks for the inspiration - can't wait to hear how it goes! mary, i hadn't considered the particular appeal of beck to a-types, but am thinking about it now, and i CAN'T BELIEVE i never noticed it before! because, seriously, how a-type are most of us? with the personals, yeah, it's time-consuming, and sometimes i'm just not up to it either. hoping i think my responses loudly enough for people to hear. i'm also incredibly appreciative of bill's consistency and commitment too. i've come to depend on his posts and (no pressure, bill) would feel off-kilter if he missed a day or a personal (even though i do it ALL THE TIME.) anne, how absolutely marvelous that you were able to stay "OP" even without a formal plan. maybe that's how "naturally" thin people stay thin, huh? sorry to hear that you get the painy migraines too. they just SUCK, don't they? i don't get them as often as your friend, but there haven't been many times in my life outside migraines when a bullet to the head sounded like a reasonable alternative to pain (childbirth comes to mind.) and bill, big ole mazel tov on passing up the dark chocolate. do you have it in your plan once in a while so you don't feel like you go without? i'm actually thinking that a weekly thing would be wonderful - a regular opportunity to practice saying no, and getting to experience that fabulous smug feeling that comes from turning down sweets. and the sous vide chicken came out AMAZING, absolutely wonderful. i just want to vacuum and (gently) poach the **** out of everything now - proteins, veggies, am wondering what it would do to apples and pears too. before this is over, i may just have a new business for myself. thanks davidette! i'm trying to figure out how to continue yoga when i'm not here anymore. i've got a massive girl crush on my yoga teacher. unfortunately she teaches in cincinnati, and i live in dayton. when i'm commuting to cincy for work and she teaches here, it's easy. not sure how to continue when it's a major hassle. i'll figure something out, though. just like replacing my bistro meals because it's getting too expensive, i'll find a way to continue with her. my dessert suggestion: while you can make lower fat and calorie cookies (my 'truffles' are macerated dates and almonds, rolled in cocoa and coconut flakes) a pretty safe bet for me is merengue, fruit, and some sort of cream (there's always fat-free coolwhip, but you can also use neufchatel or reduced-fat cream cheese with a sweetener like agave, honey, or actual sugar, which isn't a problem for me in small quantities.) or angelfood cake layered with fresh berries and mango sorbet. DH thought that one up, and it's a WINNER. camilla saulsbry (http://www.camillacooks.com/) has some fantastic healthy dessert recipes too. i have a couple of her books (tho it doesn't sound like you have time to order a book first.) onebyone, can't wait to hear more about your busy-people diet! i'm selfishly hoping to nab some of the recipes for my own little project. and what a deliciously fascinating idea, doing prints of people who are so despised. there's just a wealth of possibility there!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 01-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #223  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Afternoon everyone!

lily~ isnt strange how certain body parts shrink out of sink compaired to the rest of us? This particular blouse is my absolute favourite (I very rarely even wear blouses) The will fit everywhere except "right there". Im ok if I wear a minimizer usually. We'll see. As for our business, my husband and I run a sign and custom print apparel shop. Things are slow right now so Ive put together a networking event....hopefully this will spawn some orders from the vendors.

Anne~ Enjoy your massage and lunch with a friend. That sounds wonderful!!

davidette~ I had to laugh at your treadmill being a clothing rack for 5 yrs!! Mine spontaneously turns into a rack of sorts too. Ive managed to get blankets off of it this time and actually use it once or twice a week

I hope your mom's heat gets back on soon....this sure isnt the weather for that kind of thing.

As for the dessert assignment. I would try to switch with someone. I would probably tell people that I didnt really have time and would bring a bag of chips ahoy unless they give me something else to bring. (Id back out of bread too) ........or bring something you dont like? Aside from that, I have a buttertart square recipe that is super simple, and everyone just loves them. Especially here in the states, folks aren't familiar with the butter tart concept. I had one guy call them "The FatMan's Dream Squares" pm your email to me if you are interested and I'll forward it.

Bill~ even tho you missed your walk, I think its very sweet that you wanted to have dinner with your mrs. Im sure she appreciated it very much, even if she didnt say anything about it. I'd chalk this one up to an Oh Well, but with a smile on your face because it's ok

onebyone~ Im very interested to hear if this works for you. AND the recipes!!

I still cant get over the fact that the capitol of Canada cannot get its transit system up and running!! They should be ashamed of themselves! When you were talking about it, I thought maybe it was a smaller town issue, not Ottawa! If this was to happen in toronto for this length of time, there would be rioting in the streets!

jean~ hubbies are wonderful things arent they!! Great job on your ah-ha moment! I love it when stuff like that happens.

rachel~ Fat Friday? ....train your brain to think of it as Get Fat Friday? Eating that stuff doesnt get you where you want to be, so it certainly isnt a treat I think you are going about dealing with it wonderfully!

Something I have been struggling with the last week or 2.
I have not been eating enough. I also have not been hungry!
So....Im paying attention to my body signals, knowing when Im hungry, and when Im just wanting something, or the smell of something has me looking for food.

What I have been doing is making up a bowl of oatmeal with apples in it and eating it fairly late at night. Simply because Im not hungry.

Here is the problem. I have worked very hard to stop my nighttime eating. If I eat around 6pm-ish, Im good all night without any issues at all. But when I look at my food diary at the end of the day I notice Im lacking sometimes by almost 40% my alloted totals.

Then last night I noticed I was only 1/2 way to my total Im thinking, Ok I'll have some oatmeal, add some stuff in it to pump up the calorie count. I had everything out and was going to get started. But I stopped. It was 9pm and I WAS NOT hungry! I didnt really want it....it sounded tastey and it would have been really good. This started an inner dialogue.
"well I want it"
"but your not hungry"
"ya but you are not eating enough and you dont want this to backfire"
"so what, Im NOT hungry"
"so when will I be able to eat this"
"some other time, you arent hungry"

everything got put away and I went off with very mixed feelings about this.

You will remember that I read "Why can't I stop Eating" This has been a wonderful book for me. I tend to stick to my 3 meals and thats it!! Keeps me from thinking about food all day. I rarely have a need for a snack, when I do I'll grab a piece of cheese.

My lack of calories is messing with my plan. Ive added more calories in fats, but that isnt the greatest either. I dont eat a "real" breakfast because Ive always hated eating so early in the morning, I have my protein shake which is 220 calories and 1 oz cheddar.

Im rambling....but what I am looking for is foods that are a bit higher in calories but are not too fatty or too filling.

Today I brought with me a no-sugar peach cup, 1/2 turkey sandwich and my curry soup(which is all veggies and chicken) The 1/2 turkey sandwich is an extra to try to get more calories in. But I couldnt eat it with my soup because Im full now.

Its a dilemma........any thoughts?

If anyone is interested I received an attachment last night from a friend that is chock full of crockpot recipes! If you want me to pass it on to you, pm me your email and I'll send it to you.

Keepin' on Keeping on! Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Default Can I join in?

Hi there. I'm new to this thread. Over the last few months, I kept hearing/reading about the new Beck book and decided to do some further investigation. I spent some time reading up on it on their site (and on some of the links on their site). A few days ago, I saw the book staring me right in the face as soon as I walked in the door at Barnes and Noble. I decided to buy it.

It seems to be just what I need. I am a long time yo yo dieter (started first diet at 11 and I'm now 36). I've spent years either losing weight or gaining it back. I know that I need some help to stop the madness of the gaining/losing cycle. I want a program that is doable for the long term and that will help me to lose the weight once and for all.

I can say that I'm finally ready to accept the fact that healthy, long lasting weight loss will take time. It is always my instinct to jump into a plan quickly and stop if I don't drop a lot of weight quickly. This time, I'm going to try to take it slowly and keep my eye on the long term goal of permanently changing behavior.

I just bought The Complete Beck Diet for Life book and I'm reading through the early pages of it. I plan to go out tomorrow and buy the notebook, index cards, boxes, etc that she recommends. I'm following her advice and not jumping right into the food part. I plan to concentrate on Stage 1 and try to master the success skills before moving onto the food plan. I plan to use the skills sheets to track how I'm doing with those success skills.

I have to admit that it does seem overwhelming when I look at all of the things that she recommends, but I keep reminding myself to just take it bit by bit. There's no rush. It isn't a race. I've spent most of my life overweight, so what difference does it make if it takes me years to lose it if I'm doing it the right way.

Anyway, I'd love some diet buddies to help me along and to correspond with each day.

Other than that, I'm 36, married with a 2-year-old, and like everyone else, I struggle to balance it all--family, home, work, self. Self is usually what gets dropped off the list of priorities, but I'm working on it.

Best wishes,
Ann
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'd like to join in as well. I bought The Complete Beck Diet for Life today and am making my way through the first sections.

I already know Anne (wndranne) but for the rest of you, here's a little background. From 06 to 07 I lost 110 pounds and got to my goal weight of 165 (I'm 5'9"). I also became a runner and was particularly interested in long distance running. Immediately upon reaching my goal, however, I got pregnant! I was excited, because after 15 years of marriage I could finally become a mother. In all the excitement, I pretty much ate everything in sight while I was pregnant! I gained about 80 pounds with the pregnancy. Now the baby is 5 1/2 months old and I STILL can't get it together. I can't run more than a mile (and I used to do weekly runs of 10+ miles!) and I haven't even attempted to run in 2 months. I get no exercise now and my eating is out of control. I lost weight by counting WW points (though I didn't go to meetings) so I'm used to calorie-counting, but I need a healthier diet.

It does seem like a lot of work to do the cognitive therapy and work on the skills, but I have to do it. I need to get this weight off again and KEEP it off, so I need the skills to maintain my weight loss for the rest of my life. I want to be able to run again and to be a healthy mom for my little boy. I'm 37 years old -- I don't want to start my 40s unhealthy and unfit! I'm at about 225 now, so I need to lose about 60 pounds to reach my former goal, but I'd be fine with losing 10 pounds at this point!

After reading more of the book, I'll try to catch up on reading this thread!
Closed Thread