Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #91  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Thursday

Hi, Coaches,

Too tired tonight for much of a post. Working long hours.

Doing OK: on target yesterday for calories. Logged food. Decluttered desk. Still need to catch up with financial matters. Still fell behind in life.

Hope to post more tomorrow. Just tyring to keep head above water.

Positive vibes to all!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches - At the gym, I'm beginning to feel less awkward doing lunges; CREDIT moi. I continue to be amazed that exercising improves the muscles, duh! Apparently a slow learner here. Perhaps the daily workouts by the Obamas will make us all more diligent. But that thought led to the more selfish thought - just thinking how crowed my gym will be in January if the hordes who join for New Year's resolution are joined by the hordes of Obama imitators. I'd love it if they all lasted even as long as March because that would cause more gyms to open.

onebyone - Kudos for that 30 minutes on the mini trampoline and Kudos for the no seconds. Ouch for the cold and bus strike. Good for you for following your instincts and saving yourself three hours of stuck in traffic.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch that the author missed the issue on artificial sweeteners. Good for you for being on top of that. Kudos for the artful handling of the plate of Christmas Cookies - that's a good demo for me on gracious living.

shrinkin - Waving back. Ouch for the long hours trying to catch up. Hope things are going OK with your mom.

angelmoma210 - Send supportive thoughts to you guys.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Neat that you're acting on your awareness that all overweight people are candidates for diabetes. Good stuff that ADA diet plan. And thanks for the endorsement of yoga and for liking exercise. That led me to look at the yoga schedule at my gym; might be time for me.

Anne (wndranne) - I read and reread you list of reasons to avoid problem solving; I got a bunch of those big time. It does amaze me sometimes when I finally set out to solve a problem, that the solution is simple. Then I'm angry at myself for dallying. Oh Well.

And thanks for the buffet strategies. When I follow all of those, a buffet is a pleasure for me. Perhaps I need to problem solve why I sometimes violate the "One, one, one. One trip" rule. I'm reading Mindless Eating after finding your review via another thread. The most interesting part to me so far is reading again and again that people who know how the environment manipulates them, a) believe that it doesn't, and b) continue to be manipulated by the environment. Just finished reading the experiment where one man ate a quart of tomato soup from the bottomless bowl and described it as "filling." Now that's frightening.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I can't resist.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #93  

Height: 5'7

Anne ~ seems you are looking your fear of change squarely in the face....thanks for sharing the process with us...as for the obsessive postings, I think it might just be too much time on my hands and/or gratefulness for the chance to connect with others on this healthy life-style journey....probably a combination of all the above! ;o)

Robin~ kudos to you for being open-minded and your willingness to read and learn and try new things to solve your problem. LOL about lending out your books....I have stopped lending out my favorites also as often I won't see them again....it is a boundary I set. At first it felt a wee bit selfish, but now it just makes perfect sense....these books are IMPORTANT to me!

Onebyone.....in your post, I hear you getting clearer about what you want and what you need to do....like a focusing lens on a camera, the image is getting sharper! Good job! Your #1 Advantage reminds me of the song by Mary Jo Bilge "Just Fine"...have you ever heard it? Love the looking in the mirror lyric! Worth checking out on you tube if you're not familiar with it....it is my recent addition on my i-pod in my exercise playlist.

Shrinkin ~ I am sending you positive vibes as you keep your head above the water....remember to breathe!

Bill ~ yes our bodies are amazing machines aren't they?....it is wonderful to feel how our muscles so willingly respond to a new demand. As far as yoga goes, I am giving myself 8 more weeks to see if I love it....perhaps I need to lose a bit more first and develope some upper body strength....as it is a struggle for me to do and maintain the poses, so currently I am not lovin' it....but I do see the potential and I don't want to give up too soon. I feel great the day after...stand a little taller, sit a little straighter, feel a little calmer/more centered.

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-12-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #94  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

shrinkin~

thinkerbell~ I agree 100% my books are important to me!! Ive lent out several, I think Im on my 4th copy of the atkins book. Which ticks me off because each time I had to re-buy it, it had changed a bit. I need to find a copy from about 13 yrs ago. That's the one that worked for me.

Bill~ I absolutely hate lunges!! I told my pt that I wouldnt do them (I have krickety knees). She came up with another exercise that was killer on my legs and easy on my knees. I still do it at home!

I got into the chocolate last night .....since I havent had any sugar in quite a while Ive noticed mood issues this morning. Im crankier than all get out I also had a diet soda, which caused pains in my chest. When you eat like this all the time, you just deal with the issues, thinking your getting old, and you have lots of aches and pains. Well Im not that old!

So I suppose you could say I put my book to the test. sugar and artificial sweeteners did the stuff I knew it would do but had a temporary mental lapse

Today is the start of 21 days to break the habit for me. I am restarting beck from day one as well. I am restarting low carb from day one today. I am planning on getting out of the shop early to get my workout in and done before any gets home, to just get started! This brings me to day 21 on January 1st 2009. Sounds like a great way to start the new year....free

I will redo my cards today and make 2 sets, one for home and the other to make sure they are in my purse at all times!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #95  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default rinse and repeat

Hi coaches.

I just lost my big long post so I'll keep it short.
Credit moi for
1) 30 min on mini tramp this morning. Much harder today than yesterday with core muscles achey! for pushing through that 10 minute mark when I wanted to stop.
2) writing down my food - will continue to do this all day. 3 meals and 2 snacks are planned. No 2nds.
3) drinking 8 glasses of water - 3 done
4) taking my vitamins and my fibre
5) planning ahead by cooking beef stock for freezing AND making crockpot dinner at the same time
6) cleaning my sink and getting dirty dishes into dishwasher

I feel a bit bad about not trying harder to get to the school to do my ceramic tech job but the thought of the 2 hour ride and the knwledge that once there I am stuck there just drives me bonkers today. I think I may be burnt out. Emotionally I cannot take this extra stress right now. So I am avoiding the whole thing. Classes are done. Xmas gifts are not my problem. I am not a manufacturer of ceramic objects but a school technician firing school work. School is over so that's that. When the strike ends I can do something about it then. BTW the sides aren't even talking. I doubt it'll be over before xmas and I can't imagine what that will be like. Doesn't feel very Christmas-y.

RobinW I'm on Day 2 today so to you too I am being conscious of carbs too and upping the veg and fresh aspects and getting my 30 min in daily too. We sound very alike I'm going to write my cards out today too. All the best RobinW! The wagon is at your door. Hop on.

thinkerbell Thanks for the tip on that song. I'm going to go find it. I know Mary J. Blige has had a few life struggles to overcome and she did just that. We are all "works in progress". Hey! I just checked out that song. Thanks. I see why you like it. Here's a favorite of mine you made me think of from 1984! Just as good now as then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X43Zy...eature=related

BillBlueEyes
Quote:
I continue to be amazed that exercising improves the muscles, duh! Apparently a slow learner here
You know, I am the same. All I know is I am sweating now, I am doing something difficult or I am tired even just thinking about it...it's all about the NOW and with exercise it's now and later... the benefits last for hours after you work out and they build on themselves but when you live in the moment you don't connect with that... plus it's such an internal process. We don't feel the changes going on until one day you can do a chin up or do 10 lunges in a row easy. Funny what we choose to focus on and how that colours our perception of the world eh? (I had this very thing this morning with my core being sore. Go figure. I really thought I was "just bouncing and nothing was happening but I'll do it anyway and just trust that there's something to it." Really. These were my exact thoughts yesterday. Not today! Totally different experience... Wonder what tomorrow will bring? Have a good day!

to everyone out there.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-12-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #96  

Onebyone,

Yep! This IS the day! ;o)

God speed,
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Great song! Thanks for sharing....I never heard it before!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - at last

Diet Coaches - Took a long walk after work. CREDIT moi. Chose a route through a park that doesn't feel safe after dark but did it anyway by declaring it to be very late twilight. Oh Well for not being appropriately cautious. Went by the bridge construction that I'm monitoring - it remains a race to see if it's completed before some big snow sets in for the duration and stops all work until next spring. Consciously avoided walking past Whole Foods as I know that I'm capable of remembering something I need to buy so that I can snarf up all the samples. CREDIT moi for that. Stopped at my favorite Indian food market and bought a 99 cent Gold Pineapple. It was ripe for eating after dinner and super sweet. Thanks to whatever chain of people caused a pineapple to move from the tropics to my table for 99 cents.

onebyone - Congrats on waking up with your "core being sore" - the sign of a good workout. Thanks for the perspective that you did the exercises just because, and then the good feeling of soreness came the next day. You remind me that when I'm doing an uncomfortable exercise, I'm kinda wishing that a light ray from the heavens would shine on me. It would seem enough to expect the Almighty to worry about each blade of grass without also having to count my lunges, LOL.

And Kudos for the cooking, especially for making beef stock for the future simultaneously while making dinner in the crockpot. Clever cook, you.

Ouch that the transportation strike continues - that's a real bummer. Nope, you didn't cause it; you can't fix it.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at "krickety" and "crankier" but "not that old!" Yep, I recognize that. Kudos for the triple start of Beck, sugar free, and low carb. It's so smart to start before the holiday season to avoid that seasonal bump in all the problem stuff. Wish you well on your journeys.

shrinkin - Waving; sending supportive thoughts for you and your mother.

angelmoma210 - Still thinking about you guys; sending supportive thoughts.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Now that's a great endorsement for yoga, "I feel great the day after...stand a little taller, sit a little straighter, feel a little calmer/more centered." I do understand the feeling that yoga is for the already slender - it's awkward to encounter a pose requiring crossed legs when your legs just don't cross yet. In my twenties, I loved yoga, especially because I could do the head stand easier and longer than almost anybody else. That compensated for feeling awkward doing most of the other poses where the lithe and the limber seemed at ease and my muscles were in pain. Good luck with your 8 remaining sessions; hope you find the pose where you feel confident to help you with the others.

All of which reminds me that I saw a large lady walking toward the front desk of my gym as I was leaving the other day. Made me sooooo happy since I don't see many large ladies working out there. Thought about it all the way home, realized that the large ladies might tend to stay in the smaller room (specifically not labeled the ladies room for legal reasons I'd guess). But then remembered it was water aerobics night, so I lost the happy thought that we were about to get more large people on the workout floor. Oh Well.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving. Just had to tell you that Mindless Eating continues to boggle my mind. Just finished reading about the big warehouse stores like Costco. First you gotta buy more to justify your membership cost, then you eat more because you're serving from a giant container, then after a week you get tired of that and push it to the back of the shelves until it goes stale and gets discarded. Then return to Costco and repeat, LOL. So glad that you tipped me to this book.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I really want it.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #98  

Default My Stuff Day 13....Cravings

Oh, this is a juicy part day 12 hunger and day 13 cravings!

Day 12 ....do I fear hunger? I am definitely resisting this experiment....choosing to skip a meal. Part of why my eating plan is working at the moment is that I know I am fueled thru out my day and the break-down of proteins, carbs and fats allows a never hungry/never stuffed stream of glucose release thruout my day. Sabotaging thoughts or not, I am skipping this experiement unless it happens naturally....that is, I find myself unable to eat and the intense hunger kicks in. Plus, in the past, I did a book called Thin Within, where I did identify true hunger, real 0. I am confident that I am aware of the difference between hunger, desire, craving.

Day 13....cravings. I am getting the feeling that this chapter alone is worth the cost of the book....good stuff! Real and practical what to do. Earlier I had posted my worry about the No Choice rebellion......I modiifed it a bit.....My choice is No Choice!.....I really like how she talks about the tension of ambivalance and how the tension can go away once the decision is made....either in eating or CHOOSING not to eat. I am looking forward to my next craving to use these skills and develope my resistance muscles....right now they seem as weak as my upper body strength. ;o(

I think I shall make a reminder card....put one in my pocketbook and one in my ktichen on the ways to triumph over cravings.....and maybe Ill even document each time I work-out the anti-craving resistance muscle which is located somewhere in the space bewteen my ears....I think hunger comes from the body and cravings and desires come from the head.....off to make my cards...no time like NOW.

Thans for listening to my musings,
Andrea aka thinkerbell
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #99  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches: I got wrapped up in Christmas card labeling (always a fresh fight with Word every year) and wrapping yesterday and didn't do any Beck stuff. Oh Well. Major score on lunch where I left about a third of an extremely yummy steak & bleu cheese spinach salad because I was just done. Whoop!

Where is that wagon? I've got to get rollinrollinrollin again. Calories were high yesterday and still no exercise to speak of.

RobinW sorry your book lost you and hope OA works out for you. Sounds like you are taking a lot of positive steps with your weight loss journey. Good for you for restarting low carb and BDS.

onebyone I like your Advantages list. Feeling strong is so important, since I think it empowers you to try and to do things that you wouldn't have before! Hope the strike ends soon. You do sound burned out, so perhaps this semi-enforced rest is a good thing.

shrinkin

Bill Isn't Mindless Eating such an eye-opener?? I was astounded. Sounds like you are making some serious exercise breakthroughs. I do pretty well at Costco myself, since I have some serious no-buy rules when I'm there and usually stick to stuff like diapers and soy milk. DH OTOH is just almost about to get banned from the place. It became obvious that he might have a problem when he got 140 juice and chocolate milk boxes for DD's b'day party with 25 guests!!

Andrea I don't think we're obsessive at all. Just committed. Which is a big deal.

Public commitment I'm going to do another BDS day exercise today. I'm going to get some sort of physical exercise, even if it is small, and I'm going to have no more than two, that's two, count 'em two, one two cookies, at DD's cookie decorating party today. I will need a from you guys if I don't.

Anne
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #100  

Height: 5'7"

Andrea same time post! I don't especially fear hunger, but I certainly dislike it. I think it is natural to resist! I'm glad the cravings chapter resonated with you.

the little boss is trying to help me type! Must go find a drool-safe activity!!

Anne
Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #101  

Default More of My Stuff...continued!

Just did my Anti-craving strategy cards....thanx 2me! woo-hoo!

I made a strategy for remembering these reminders....DR. DRILLS, in honor of Dr Beck!

Hmmm....see if you can follow along and if I can remember my just made reminders...

4 Behavioral Techniques

D istance
D rink 0 cal
D istract

R elax

5 Mind-set Techniques

D on't give yourself a choice/D ecide
R emind yourself why....ARC
I magine the aftermath
L abel the feeling
L abel the feeling (needed another "L"....laughing could be useful)
S tand firm

Anne...we did cross-post....I have a cookie party tomorrow.....I'll match your two cookies and raise you one.....this will be a great experiement for DR. DRILLS!.....Right here, I am commited to 3 cookies or less....is the DRILL sargeant (sp?) in the house? Hop, two, three four....breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe....it's how long we are supposed to breathe under the Relax technique. I'm kinda picturing
Louis Gossett Jr. from The Officer and a Gentleman....he was scary! Fear usually doesn't work for me, but I will give it a try....I tend to lean toward fairygodmothers like in Cinderella or Glenda the Good Witch of the North from Wizard of OZ....but I am willing to try whatever works! This shall be an interesting experiement.

The few...the proud...the Becksters!

Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-13-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #102  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking figuring it out

Good Morning Coaches

To finish up with yesterday's report:
credit moi for writing everything down & for getting 8 c. of water
credit moi for a second bout of exercise, a walk to the mall Although, I did not feel good on this walk. Felt weak and anxious. Not sure what that's about. When I came home I was ravenous and had a meal. it was about 9pm. I ate more beef and some veggies from the soup. It was day two pick a diet plan and I am doing this: plan 1: eat every 3-4 hours, no seconds, seriously limit sweets and junk, eat fresh whenever possible, exercise daily, drink water and get your vitamins. plan 2: everything as in plan 1 but I follow Crack the Fat Loss Code strictly.

Plan 1 is a version of what I learned following plan 2 a month or so ago. it works I just can't bear the strictness of it right now so i will take what works for me and be gentle and keep on going, making adjustments when necessary which requires the biggest commitment of all: consistency and honesty. Without either, I won't get very far. The wagon will sink in muck and mire

I just printed out my 3x5 Advantages cards. You know, I never did that before. yay me. I am hoping that I can maintain (BIG for this being Day 3 for me) these habits and have them ingrained before I am back at school for what promises to be a very long very stressful final semester. Cannot wait to be done now. Although, it's about the only thing I know for sure about my plans for next year. Everything is up in the air. Or that's how it feels.

Today I am reading Day 3. I didn't do the written exercises for Day 2 so will get that done when I log off of here. I have yet to do the 30 min session and I made a decision about the gym. I really want to join but I really can't afford to and having to scramble to cover a payment is not a good idea. I shouldn't be adding to my stress when I know what's coming at me in a short month from now. So, for now, unless I get very depressed which can sometimes happen over the winter, I won't be at the gym. I need to do this on my own, use what I have at hand. In the end, it'll be good for me or I'll discover I need a gym. We'll see but I am going to commit to trying it this way for now. I have lots of resources and you guys, you coaches, are a big part of that.

Guess that's it. I will try to clean a few rooms today, flylady style. Flylady crisis cleaning here I come! <--- this is all the soap I'm going to need to get this place sparkling... I'll need some of this though to see it through --->

thinkerbell Wow. Your brain is fascinating. Look at that creative mnemonic! Fancy! I especially love this part
Quote:
5 Mind-set Techniques

D on't give yourself a choice/D ecide
R emind yourself why....ARC
I magine the aftermath
L abel the feeling
L abel the feeling (needed another "L"....laughing could be useful)
S tand firm
very powerful good stuff. May borrow some of this for myself but will take the time to figure out what would mean the most for me. Thanks for posting this. Could I suggest your second "L" be "listen to your gut"?

wndranne Hi! The wagon's coming by just turn your light on that you want it to stop! I loved that you called your baby a "little boss". Geez. That had me chuckling. And I, as your coach, am holding you to your commitment. If not you can be sure that I, well versed in giving the occasional will do so, and I believe you can count on shrinkin' to do the same. "Easier to stay on plan than to get on plan I always say." (and once more I find this to be too true.) Stay strong. Strengthen your resistance muscle!

BillBlueEyes I am doing this too
Quote:
Went by the bridge construction that I'm monitoring
There is a bridge over the Ottawa River to the "Quebec side" where many people live. Lots of government workers here (capital city and all) and they cross over two bridges to come to work. So with the strike the city has re-opened the 2 lanes of the bridge (there are 4 lanes) that were closed due to the bridge being unsound structurally. So, before the strike, the bridge was being closed for maintenance and prevention, and now, with the increased volume of traffic and the impatience of the commuter and the generally extremely high traffic levels, they re-opened the bridge to all traffic again. Is it fixed? No. their solution? No vehicle over 5 tonnes. But my guess is that much and more in volume of traffic is now crossing. Does this make sense? Every day I expect to hear that bridge collapsed under the weight of x amount of cars. And the Ottawa River is mighty cold this time of year. Sheesh! Kudos to you for avoiding a food stimulus, the Whole Foods Store. And good for you for challenging the notion of "scary" by walking in "twilight". We are all afraid for no good reason I think JMHO.

Off to meet my day. Have a good one.

Evening Update:I continue to eat standing up in the kitchen as I prepare or right after I have finished making my dinner. I keep telling myself "I'm not there yet in the book! Don't have to sit yet."
Phooey.
Also, I had second helpings at dinner. I just wanted MORE = food desire and it was good and I wasn't overfull...? OH WELL.
I completed my 30 min on the trampoline and will get the 8 glasses of water in. Took my vitamins and my fibre but serious veggies were missing today.
I MUST eat that broccoli tomorrow. Green bags are NOT an excuse to keep veggies in the fridge forever.

Methinks I had a bit of the "persist in victory" trouble as I got on the scale to see a drop to 259, 5lbs down since my high a couple of days ago. I'm taking it... but see? A little bit of success can undo me if I am not careful. Need MAJOR work around this.

Have a good night!
shrinkin' Hello! I wish things were easier for both you and your mother but short of staying at her bedside 24/7 all you can do is trust and keep tabs. IMHO the best thing you can do is to make sure the staff at that hospital KNOW that you are active and engaged in your mother's care. And you are. Please get some rest! and gently lift your foot! the wagon's-not-a-gonna-be-draggin'-you but lifting you up! Come for the ride.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-13-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #103  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default The good, the not so good and the great/Saturday am

Morning coaches,

Being grateful this am that I have survived a very tough week, but not pausing too long because I have much life work to do today and have to work at the office tomorrow. OH WELL. Grateful to have a job during these tough times.

The good and the bad: Thursday on plan for calories and eating was all healthy. CREDIT MOI. Friday was OP and healthy until....DH arrived back in town from four days of travel. We agreed to get Chinese food carry out because the weather and the roads were bad. We were too tired to eat out and no food thawed (yup Robin, someone forgot). Well, I did not eat past full CREDIT MOI, but I don't think that Chinese food is particularly healthy. I don't know any valid calorie counts, so I wont log it OH WELL. Pretty sure too much carbohydrate and too much fat. OH WELL.

Until last night had stayed on target getting life items caught up. Did not follow thru on plan to finish catching up finances. DH and I just sat on the couch talking to each other. We were both just too tired to do much. Went to bed early. CREDIT for realizing that life has limits and sometimes you just have to slow down. I MUST get this done though because have to sort out whether we can afford a new washer and dryer. Our old ones are making awful noises and any day now they will cease all action. EEW..not a happy thought. So, should get out and buy a washer and dryer this weekend.

Have not been doing PT exercises last few days as too tired on return from work and too rushed in the am. Must change that starting today. Next PT appt is Thursday and I want to make some progress before them. I am finally pain free and now beginning strengthening.

Weight report, aka the great: The "gain" that I thought I had while under duress has disappeared and then some more with it. All of my weights have been down from the 3-4 pound gain that I reported on my return from MIA. Yesterday's and today's weight was down 2.5 pounds from my last weight prior to leaving town to deal with my mother (so about 6 pounds from initial weight last week??). So, I guess I am going to say the heavy weight was water or whatever and accept current numbers as real, say WooHoo and change the ole avatar. Also, I am ing goodbye to the 190s! I am a bit concerned that I have been losing muscle from lack of exercise and that is why I weigh less?? Muscle weighs more than fat I believe? So, as my exercise gets back on track, if scale moves up a bit, will have to remember this drop and just say OH WELL. Still that current wt is 33 pounds less than beginning wt 6 months ago. Need to set some non scale challenges.

thinkerbell-Thanks for your posts! Love your techniques! BTW you don't have to spell correctly on those reminders...so it could just be DRILS (pronouced the same so I think it would be called a homolog of DRILLS?) Good luck to you and Anne on the cookie parties. Reminds me I have a work party to go tonight. Not looking forward to it. Will think of your Hop, Two, Three Four and attempt to MARCH BY lots of tempting food. Got my marching orders from your coaching!

Anne-I SO identify with your epiphany from a few days back. I reread it again today. I have been thinking about why I eat poorly too. Although I may occasionally eat from emotional reasons, I have been wrong in thinking of myself as an "emotional eater". My two biggest dietary challenges both relate to enjoying food: When life is handing me unpleasantness, I can count on food as something that is enjoyed! It is a sure thing. A fall back that I can count on even when tired, discouraged, etc. That is challenge number one. Challenge number two also relates to food enjoyment: I eat from food desire. This leads to trolling for food after dinner...just looking for something to enjoy. It is not a craving, as there is no particular food. It is not hunger...just looking for something to enjoy. Thanks for stimulating me to think deeper about my own reasons. BTW, hope your wound is healing and that the pool is in your future (my future too)!

BillBlueEyes-Ouch for not so safe walk...reminds me of my Phily experience several months ago. Determination to exercise can become a not so great thing. Glad nothing untoward happened. LOL on your new second job (bridge inspection) as the new reason to walk. You always manage to have a reason for getting that walk in. Kudos to you for routing around Whole Foods. I think pineapple is the only fruit that I can 100% count on right now. We have a fresh one in the frig too. Yummy!

Thanks for positive thoughts (from you and other coaches) on my mom. Dealing with Mom has become a bit frustrating. Example: I call her (which I do twice a day), she says the nurses have not brought the new medicine she was supposed to have for past 2 days. I call her doctor to be sure the Rx was faxed. They take a day to return my call, then say with a bit of irritation "we did that 2 days ago". Call the nurses station where she is living; leave a message because no one answers. They dont return my call for 2 days. I call the administrator who gave me her cell number so I would "always be able to check on Mom". Leave a voice mail message, she doesn't return my call all day. Next day, ask mom again and she says..."oh yes, I got that 2 or 3 days ago" (she has very poor sense of time)??? So, was there ever a problem? How would I know with Mom's dementia? How do I know they are taking good care of her? Just say, OH WELL and move on? Just doing the best I can and hoping it is enough. Mom's spirits seem fairly high but she is still adjusting to new environment and keeps asking when she is moving home. Sad she can't and that she can't remember.

onebyone-You are rollinrollinrollin! WooHoo! I am still with one leg on the wagon (food has improved) and one leg still draggin' (exercise). But I am getting there! Ouch for that bus strike. Horray that being "forced" home fuels time for both rest and focus on diet and exercise. Kudos for using it that way! Sounds like some of the old guard (you, me and Robin) are headed back thru Beck again. Will be pleased to hear your comments as you restart the journey. Have you made definite decision on your diet? With life chaos, I haven't gotten to a daily routine, but reread days 1-5 this week and will skip day 6 (finding a diet coach) and will be rereading day 7 next, hopefully this weekend.

RobinW-Whoa, you are WAY to GENEROUS with those books! Sounds like you are rollinrollinrollin too. for doing alternative lunge exercise! With your low carb plan, are fruits allowed? Or is it really the Atkins early phase of almost zero carbs? Will listen for your wisdom as you reread Beck. that you are moving forward...you are a great source of inspiration!

Sending positive vibes for a great Saturday to all those who are reading!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #104  
Lovin' Life

Just a quickie. Im caught up reading everyone's posts I'll try to get back later tonight for personals!

Yesterday was awesome!! (Cranky most of the day) But it was successful, and I feel very proud that I made it thru day 1 100%.

Im off to the paint your own pottery place today with a bunch of girls wish me luck!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #105  
Lovin' Life

I just wanted to comment on this shrinkin
Quote:
Muscle weighs more than fat I believe?
No ....a lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat, fat just takes up more space than muscle. Muscle is leaner and more compact. But a lb is still a lb. There is a link Im going to go find...brb

...hmmm it used to be a sticky in resistance training, or in maintainers but its not there anymore. Maybe Anne will remember where it is.

Last edited by RobinW; 12-13-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Closed Thread