Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #46  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

I was pretty sore last night so I skipped my strength exercises and focused on stretching. Pain level was back down to 0 this morning, and I did all my exercises

Decorated the tree last night. It's a little pre-lit thing and I just felt so warm and good inside - our first tree in 2 years! Then this morning I found it on its side and the topper broken (the topper was the only glass ornament). Thanks, cat.

lessee:
OP Food

shrinkin: What terrible news about your mom! Before worrying about getting back on track, perhaps you should do something special for yourself. I know decorating seems like another chore on top of all that's overwhelming you, but I know decorating my tiny tree made me feel better - like Christmas was really happening after all. Just a thought - maybe not all-out decorating, just one special place where Christmas can happen for you?

Bill: I don't know what a Wegmen's is, and I've a feeling I should be grateful.

for your walking!
Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #47  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Well all..I really feel a little better...dh is putting in for unemployment and that should help some. He is still fighting for his job or at least another one that is in the same building. Please still keep us in your thoughts.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches - Wandered off path with some homemade cookies; not far, but off. I was in a social situation made stressful due to elderlly, hard-of-hearing, drifting attention issues. It makes me appreciate all of the posters here who are fighting stressful situations. Yep, life is easier when it's easier. Oh Well.

I did get in my third long walk in as many days. CREDIT moi. Out walking is so calming. Rather nice to take note of the red berries that haven't yet been consumed by the birds; they seem to save some, like Holly, for later when all other food supplies are gone. Smart birds them.

onebyone - Waving. Hope your weekend is going well and raking in the $$$.

Jeanie (Kuhljeanie) - Waving. Be prepared; just heard from a returnee that Disneyworld has already started background Christmas music everywhere, "But not too loud." I could even tolerate Rocky Mountain High everywhere; but I'd melt into a puddle if I heard It's a Small World for more than 10 seconds, LOL. One ride with my kids a zillion years ago and I'm done with that song for life.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for a Saturday not going into work. Hope you have a relaxed day. (Bakeries where I can smell the baking bread are absolutely the worst for me. I want it all, LOL.)

angelmoma210 - Continuing to send supportive thoughts for the saga.

shrinking - Just Wow. Sending supportive thoughts for your mom and for you handling a tough situation. Kudos for hanging on to rational size portions and wise choices when your mind was so occupied and emotions on edge. And Kudos for posting here as part of getting back on plan.

You've been missed; I particularly thought of you on at the end of November when making a note to remember to start the December thread. Was laughing at the memory of you gently reminding me that I was posting right along into the new month in the old thread. It's good to see you.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay for pain zero. Kudos for jumping right on track with your exercises. Yep, it's better to never know about Wegman's if you have any molecule in your body that responds to abundant attractive food. They're like Whole Foods, only more so. Whole Foods started in Austin, which from here, seems to be in Texas, although I understand that some Texans have issues with Austin. They're very UT there, not very A&M; lots of orange everwhere. All pickups sport longhorns somewhere.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
It's not fair.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #49  

Height: 5'7

Jeanie ~ I am a huge fan of Disneyworld and those blue caribbean seas.....wow, it sounds like an awesome trip. Good for you! I think there is so much walking around at Disney that the exercise is kinda built in. At WDW there are treats for all 5 senses......the smells, the sounds, the tastes, the sights and the feel of that warm Florida sunshine.....don't forget to indulge in all the no-calorie beauty and whimsy and delight!

Robin~ woo-hoo! got that treadmill moved! As far as the gift certificate, here's my 6 cents....it sounds to me as if she was returning a "professional" courtesy...her way of thanking you for the work you've done with her as opposed to a birthday or Christmas gift......to me, the birthday/Christmas gift could be passed along but if it is a thank you to you, this is something that cannot be forwarded, as it is yours! I might be way off here, just wanted to offer something to help you get clearer.....even if you totally disagree with what I wrote, at least you know that's not for you. It's all good!

Shrinkin' ~ sending thoughts of peace and calm at this most difficult and sad time for you and your mom....ouch, a broken neck. Good for you that you checked in here....when life gets crazy, it is so easy to abandon our food and X plans....but exercise is such a great stress relief and eating right does give us more energy to deal with what must be dealt with. It was a good instinct to check in here in the middle of the chaos.

Tera~ a toppled tree and broken glass ornament.....yikes! how did you handle all of that? that can be a real mood-changer. Does Dr Beck's ideas work for toppled trees too?

Angelmomma ~ I am sending you thoughts and prayers of support and encouragement..... when God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window......it's one of my favorite lines from The Sound of Music.

Bill~ I think outdoor walking is a real treat.....good for the body, mind and spirit! I have been walking almost daily at a near-by park since June 1st......and I hope I can continue walking thru a Pennsylvania winter. Were those cookies, Christmas cookies?.....as Christmas cookies are so seductive! I am going to a Cookie-Making party next Sunday and I am already feeling nervous.....those tempting cookies look so sweet and innocent and Christmas-sy......cookies are really only a problem for me at this time of year because my challenge is a "bread" tooth, not a "sweet" tooth. It seems like you kept the damage to a minimum by wandering only a little off plan....good for you!

God speed!
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-07-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #50  

Default My Stuff

I am on Day 6....find a diet coach

This idea is a bit tough for me. What do you'all do? She seems to encourage a real life person.........do you have a person in your life that could do this for you? This idea is a real trigger for me......ideally I would love to hire a diet coach, but right now I can't afford it. I have been talking about dieting etc with friends and family and they are not in the same place as I....so far, noone is interested or motivated.

Day 6 makes me a little sad and a bit frustrated.....anyone else feel this way? This is the hardest day and idea so far.

Will you all be my diet coaches in my virtual world? I feel the need to ask officially.

Thanks,
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-08-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #51  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Diet Coaches
I'm doing everything I can to get through each day-- things are stressful and hectic. My Dad arrived yesterday from NY (luckily his flight was on time despite the snow that began to fall) and we ran around trying to get DD the proper shoes for her performance (no such luck). Took DD to rehearsal for her show and then went back to my house where we spent some time reading over the full autopsy report for my brother (Dad just received it in the mail the other day) and discussing that

Then went to DD's show which began at 6 and was supposed to last an hour. I had a late lunch so I didn't eat anything before the show. Didn't leave her show until almost 9pm! They served cookies and other homemade treats after the show. I was starved and didn't really pay attention to what my thoughts were (except that I knew I hadn't eaten much all day and that I figured I could count the treats I was eating and still be okay) and ate a little brownie bite and a cookie and 1/2. I did however pay attention to what and how much I ate so I can track it.

Made it to the restaurant after 9pm. Ordered something I would have pre-Beck and pre-losing weight (Butternut squash ravioli), but justified that I could eat a smaller amount. (Since I'm only counting calories in vs. calories out, no food is forbidden or off program.) I did end up eating a little bit of bread (about 1/2-3/4 of a roll) that I hadn't intended on eating and I did munch on a few of DDs sweet potato french fries. I definitely did not eat slowly or consciously But I didn't really overeat It felt like I failed and I forgot to say "oh well". I did think about how different that experience would have been pre-Beck.

I'm off for another day with my divorced parents (mother who is driving me nuts) who are still majorly grieving the loss of my brother (September) and my soon-to-be ex-husband! Okay, I just realized, I'm doing great

Bill
So great to hear about your long, enjoyable walk and that your more easily able to get that in.

Wegman's-- I didn't know they have one in MA! Ross and I LOVE Wegman's (which is based out of WNY) and when we left WNY wrote to Danny Wegman all the time asking him to open stores where we were currently living. They did eventually open a Wegman's in Princeton when we were living in NJ (I'm pretty sure it had absolutely nothing to do with our requests!) and we actually went there at 6am for the Grand Opening (pretty pathetic, I know!)

Anyway, I know what you mean about the prepared food, there's just something about the lure of the displays, the smells, etc. HUGE kudos for you for walking out of there with nothing but "water"!

Shrinkin

Oh I am so sorry, what a terribly difficult time you (and your mom) have been going through. My heart aches for you. I have to point out that you have done SO well though! First of all, reporting here when you got back rather than just throwing it all away is HUGE!

Secondly,
Quote:
Only thing I can give Beck credits for was that I never overate and that I often made the better of two choices.
You can't say "only" those are 2 HUGE factors-- you deserve credit for every single time you ate and didn't overeat and every time you made the better of 2 choices. Do you think those things would have happened pre-Beck??

Same thing with the scale-- 3-4 lbs, that's really not that bad. I know personally if I was doing a lot of emotional eating, my #s would have been way worse over a 3 week period. You may not have been consciously following Beck, but obviously a good part of it has become a way of life for you-- yeah for that!

Hang in there and I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

Robin

Hope you had a successful shopping trip and got to spend some time enjoying your book. Sounds like a nice relaxing day!

Tera Glad your pain was down to 0!! Kudos for your exercising.
And yes, not knowing what Wegman's is, is probably a good thing (if your really curious though, you can google it!)

Angelmomma

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better and still keeping you and DH in my thoughts.

Bill I'm sorry you had a hard time with the homemade cookies and it may be my fault. Okay, you'll have to follow my weird thinking here:
I found myself somewhat comforted by the thought that EVEN you are sometimes thrown off by homemade cookies (just like I was), which just reminds me that we'll all have moments like that. So, I learned a lesson from your experience, so thus it was my fault that you ate the cookies because I needed you to, to learn said lesson

Andrea

What part of PA do you live in? I used to work in Morrisville and my college roommate is also from Bucks County.

I have to say that I must have mentally tuned out about Beck stressing the Diet Coach being a real person. Other than checking in with my therapist once a week, I have not found a "real life" Diet Coach. I have found in the past that talking to others about my journey somehow takes away from the journey for me. This group has been the perfect fit for me for a Diet Coach, especially since there are people at all different stages of the journey. The wealth of knowledge and support here is unmeasurable.

So, since this is my only true Diet Coach, I make an even stronger effort to check in here daily. I'm also trying to journal quite a bit which has also always helped me in general.

I would be honored to be one of your cyber Diet Coaches
Old 12-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #52  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Good Morning Coaches

Hi coaches. I see it's almost 2pm so it's not morning but afternoon already. I finished up my farmers' market season officially yesterday with the xmas market and then the removal of my market display. (I've attached a picture of what my booth looked like this year.) I've been in a stupor for hours now. When I got home last night we ate, poorly, and I went to bed at 8 and was asleep by 9. I got up early and dozed off and on in the lazyboy and I'm still foggy. We desperately need to do groceries and I am not going by myself so I have to wait for DH. I'm a bit frustrated but it will be worth the wait.

I still have one class to complete; my book-making class. I have to make 2 books before Tuesday. Once Tuesday is over, I am done for the semester. Next semester starts the second week of January so I have a big break from school for now. So glad. Of course I am still the ceramic technician for the school so I still have to do work there (rats) and no doubt those two instructors will have a list for me a yard long, but at elast i come and go as I please with no deadlines for now.

It's been a very tough semester and I weathered it without getting sick but I did toss all my weightloss out the window. I have regained everything I lost so I am back to square one. BUT a wii fit is arriving soon and I think I may go right ahead and join that gym. It will be a few weeks before I can schedule a meeting with the trainer again but one step at a time. I miss the pool. I really miss the sauna. I need to get on the wagon big time. I can't keep doing this, eating like a teenage boy who does sports. I, at age 45, female and overweight the bulk of my years, am not a young male athlete inspite of my food intake.

Better go.

Have a great Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booth1.jpg (37.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg booth2.jpg (32.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #53  

Kim

Thanks so much! I really like what you wrote about the community here and how sometimes sharing things with the "real' people in your life can take "something" away.....especially if they are not familiar with the cognitive therapy principles and the sabotaging thoughts.

She does write also that the internet is a good place to find on-line support and I have already learned so much here on the forum and "met" people who are commited and living their own healthy life-style journey....like you Kim. Thanks so much for your kind support and wise words.....I feel better now realizing that this forum and especially this thread can be my diet support.

Day 8....I am in. I feel commited and can check it off the check-list as my heart is now in the game thanx to U and your helpful words.

best wishes,
Andrea aka thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-07-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #54  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Diet Coaches

Again not one of my best days, but just as stressful as the past couple, if not more so. Just logged all my food for the past couple of days and it was super frustrating because I had to guesstimate on so much! Oh well.

Onebyone Your booth looks awesome, professional and with gorgeous work. How did the fair go? I'm really looking forward to the end of Tuesday for you!

Andrea

So glad my perspective on the diet coach was helpful to you. Your response was really sweet and made me feel good, thanks.

Hi to Robin, Bill, Angelmomma, Anne, Jeanie, Olive and everyone else!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches - Had dinner at home after four days away. Ate on plan, comfortably on plan, without temptations on plan, without wrestling it to the ground on plan. CREDIT moi - ever so small for the act itself, but real for having created the place where it's easy to be on plan. Great reminder that Beck's strategy to set up the environment works. There were no serving dishes with more food on the table. There wasn't even extra food on the stove. No bakery desserts in sight. No bakery desserts in the house. And I knew there were California Navel Oranges in the fridge for snack later.

onebyone - Thanks for the pictures of your booth; fun to see your whimsical humor and visually pleasing order at that scale. Ouch for all the tensions associated with the end of markets and the end of school. But Kudos for having the clarity to see what you're doing and what you need to do to get back on your track. Hope the gym works out; the positive feedback from a swim or workout can allow the mind to get eating back on track. Beaming my supportive thoughts your way.

angelmoma210 - Continuing to send supportive thoughts.

Kim (bennyhannahmama) - Yep, I think you're doing great. Kudos for staying sane while entertaining divorced parents. (Did your DD dance barefoot? Did I miss the end to the failed search for her shoes?) And Kudos for the Butternut squash ravioli in rational sized serving. On plan is so easy in an on-schedule day, at home, with nothing else going on. You were facing the more realistic difficult situation where you ended up at hungry at 9pm choosing from the menu in your hand. Good job.

Nope, no Wegman's in Massachusetts. The Wegman's was in New Jersey (possibly Cherry Hill, but you know how NJ townships are all squished together.) LOL, I'd have been with you at the 6am opening. I hope they do come to MA to give a little competition to Whole Foods.

Sending you supportive thoughts for the loss of your brother; I do hope you are finding ways to allow yourself to feel the grief so that you can process through the steps to let him go. With so much else on your plate it would be easy to overlook your own needs here.

Andrea (thinkerbell) - Yes, I'd be delighted to be one of your on-line diet coaches. Hope you will be an on-line diet coach for me.

I share your desire to have a face-to-face diet coach, but have taken no positive steps to make it happen. I am sure that it wouldn't be my DW - too close and no good way to have a diet coach session that ends until the next session in a week.

Good luck at your cookie making party next Sunday. Good for you that your "bread" tooth won't be triggered. Yep, my cookies were Christmas cookies, bought, as directed, at a church bazaar for my elderly relative who missed that he could no longer get there himself. Passed on loaves of pumpkin bread, banana bread, cranberry bread, zucchini bread and a few others, all priced below the 2008 cost of the ingredients, made by devoted church members for a worthy cause. Failure to buy was clearly failing a religious duty. It wouldn't have been an easy place for someone with a bread tooth. I was able to pass only because I wanted all of them - a good clue to me that it was a desire thing not a rational hunger for a sugar, shorting, and white flour product.

Readers -
"Common diet related sabotaging thoughts:
I'm not going to let anyone tell me what I can and can't eat.
... "
Beck, pg 193.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #56  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Monday check in

Coaches,

A mixed weekend to report. Did not get to posting food for calorie counts. But credit for making good choices and for having reasonable choices.

Did not get to pool. But big credit for getting Christmas shopping both started and finished. Wow, that is a big job and a big relief.

Have to accept that it is going to take days to get self back on track. Goals for today: Read ARC twice, give credits for good things, get haircut and start getting finances in order by paying bills.

Have to be at work early with much to catch up there too. Thanks coaches for reminding me to take credits for each little step...including just getting back here to post while busy.

Have a great day all...will get to doing personals as soon as I can.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #57  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, Becksters!

I can't claim OP food. I ate a brownie that I really didn't need. It was tiny, but it was still off plan.
morning PT and part of evening PT (we got home really late last night)

It's amazing how many ways this lingering cold expresses itself. Right now it feels like someone rubbed sandpaper across the back of my throat. Swallowing is difficult, so it should be really easy for me to stay on plan today, right?

Took my Early Childhood Education final yesterday. Of 20 short essay questions there was only one I know I didn't answer completely. I'm hoping for an A in that class in spite of missed discussion board deadlines (it's an Internet class).

I also completed registration for next semester and discovered that I have more than one semester's worth of work to do before I qualify for my Associates, strange to say. So I postponed PE for another semester and signed up for an entire schedule of online classes.

My Music Appreciation final was to write an essay explaining who the greatest musician of the 20th century was/is and why. I extoled the virtues of the the Beatles, with emphasis on Lennon/McCarthy and said that I couldn't choose between them for "best" because they both worked better in collaboration with each other than either did on their own. I have two more tests to take: Government and Biology. I'm nervous about Govt. because I missed ALL the lectures for the last section, and he bases most of his questions on the lectures. I'm going to have to do a bit of research off the review list he sent out. Fortunately, I have about 80 extra credit points accumulated and have gotten A's on the previous tests. (I love this Prof for his interesting lectures AND the extra credit opportunities.)

Ok, enough about school. I lost over 2 pounds since my last weigh in on 11/23! It's a small loss, but considering all that's been going on in that time, I'm giving myself a huge !!

angelmomma: Thanks for the report. I've been thinking about you. If there's only one person who's complained about your DH, then I think a position in another department is not too much to ask. Most companies work with you unless you have a history of complaints. I hope things go smoothly with the unemployment office too. A little cash to tide you over would be a good thing.

Bill: Austin is plenty Texas enough for me. I've still got enough Yanky in me to resist the A&M frenzy that permeates many parts of Dallas. I moved down here for family and employment, not culture.

What I've found is that you've got two, maybe three primary cultures here. There's rural Texas, metro Texas, and ghetto Texas. Rural Texas is ultraconservative, Good ol' Boy, well, you know. Metro Texas is made up primarily of geeks and technophiles, and ghetto Texas is a lot like rural in attitude, if not style.

I'm of the metro variety. Yes, I am a snob.

Andrea: On the subject of diet coaches. I formally asked my mother to be my diet coach, but the truth is that I report a lot more here than to her. I try to check in daily at the Beck Thread, but I only report to my Mom once or twice a week. The real benefit to having her support is that there's someone to call when I'm facing an "emergency" like depression.

I also want to stand up and say count me in as a diet coach, and I hope you do the same for me.

To be honest, I was half expecting the tree to come down when I went to bed the night I decorated it. Hubby and I already had plans to buy some "No Stay!" spray. What I wasn't expecting was having to abandon the idea of a tree altogether. The "No Stay!" worked overnight, but yesterday when we came home from a day at my mother's, the tree was down again.

Maybe I can anchor it to something with bungee cords? If not, I'm going to move ornaments to the immitation fir garland I have above the sliding glass door, where the cat can't reach, and pack the tree back up.

Depressing thought. Maybe I'll put Christmas music on and make myself feel better.

So, instead of working myself up over the issue, I'm facing it, coming up with possible solutions, and getting on with life. I guess Beck thinking *does* work with toppled Christmas trees.

Kim: You are doing great! to you for recognizing it, and for taking time to check in here even in the midst of that storm! Days like yours would have kept me off the message board completely.

onebyone: Your booth looks most nifty! What I see in your work is attractive design, humor, and wisdom. Your stuff is very "giftable!"

How were your sales?

You know, each of us are just a tenth of a percent away from a young male athlete, according to biologists (meaning that your chromosomes and all the athletes' chromosomes are about 99.9% identical). Maybe that thought is reassuring, maybe it isn't: I just find it amusing. I guess the real point is that we are all a lot more alike than we are different, and the challenges you face could one day be theirs. You're not alone.

I hope you have a wonderful winter break and have your diet and exercise routine firmly established for next semester!

shrinkin: Welcome back to the wagon. Big for giving yourself time to adjust.

Last edited by twilit tera; 12-08-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #58  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Afternoon

This morning has just whizzed by!! Hubby and I went to one of the local linens n' things and bought some of the store fixtures for the shop. Now we just need our landlord to come and help us install them on the walls. (they are all brick!) I'll go back tonight and pick up a bunch more of the hooky things and little clippy things and sign holders and little shelves. Usually when we get to a store to buy the fixtures, they are all gone. But we made out pretty good this time....and it all fit in the focus!!

Well yesterday was a bust foodwise I did too much baking and too much sampling. I made some bread too, to go with supper, and I was surprised at how good it turned out. I ate wayyyyy too much of it. The rest of it is all bundled up and in the freezer now! The cookies are all in the appropriate containers with lids on them, and the pumpkin bread is all divided up, wrapped up and in the freezer.

I talked to hubby this morning about my diet....thankyou Andrea for reminding me about coaches. I have my husband, and everyone here. There isn't anyone other than my mom that I would trust to help and not ridicule. kwim?

I told hubby that I needed to refocus, and any gentle pushing he feels like offering is ok with me. (god love him, he's so good at this stuff)

Ive been reading my book too "Why can't I stop eating" I have to say if you dont feel that food is an addictive substance for you, then this isnt the book for you. If you do, and you're ready to admit that you have addictive tendencies, this just might help. Ive always said that if I didnt have to eat I would be fine. But I have too many trigger foods that lead to binge eating. Its not all emotional even tho I admit that I am also an emotional eater. The book states that food to us is like alcohol to an alcoholic. I have always believed this to be true for me. For others, they think its a bunch of hefferdust!

I wanted to comment on something else too. I have gone to OA and tried to work their program. I just have such a hard time giving my urges up to a higher power and allow that power to deal with them. At least that is how I understand it. I just can't do it......it's my problem, I own it, I will deal with it. The only thing I can work and work well from that program, is "one minute, one hour, one day at a time"

I think this book may be my alternative to the program...something to help me solve a few issues, still be able to follow the Beck teachings and be successful at getting myself back into control.

Ive rambled on a bit too long.....I'll check back later tonight for personals. Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #59  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default happy monday my coaches!

trying to get everything finished up before heading out. realized while packing late last night that i don't own any bathing suits that fit. this is a wonderful, wonderful thing, except that i'm running out of time before we get on that plane to florida. so in addition to working today, i somehow have to find the time to go bathing-suit shopping and get el nino from dayton to cincinnati (i work in cincinnati, so it's a lot of extra driving today.) all the big projects are already done, so i have a little time to write y'all.

weekend went pretty well! we decided to cancel for saturday night, which allowed me another bistro dinner. weight was 170.5 as of sunday. WHOO HOO! half a pound to my next charm, and 6.5 lbs until i am no longer obese. i'm now thinner than i was a decade ago. i won't change my ticker until after i get back from vacation, because i may go back up a lb or two and i don't want to get ahead of myself, but i am getting there. i AM. feels like i've finally internalized a lot of the things that people say they needed to get to maintenance, like thinking of it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet, and not depriving yourself, but at the same time, not making excuses. i now know that my body loses in spurts, and there's a ton of up and down while that's going on, so a pound or two either way doesn't trip me up anymore. i still have room for improvement (exercise is still last on my list too many days) but i don't think of it as a temporary thing anymore. i'll get there!

onebyone, your space is so wonderful! someday i'd like to own something you'd done. and agree with tera - you may not be a young man, but you should definitely think of yourself as an athlete. congrats to both of you for getting through the semesters!

andrea, ditto bill and tera and everyone else. i tried using dh as my coach, but he'd have to read the book and understand what it's like to be a compulsive overeater. it's a lot to ask someone who just wants to make me happy. he tends to enable, which i love, but isn't so great for the accountability thing. i just use y'all too. also, you guys aren't nearly as bored by the weight and eating talk. and thanks! we're still feeling a little disappointed that we're not going to india, but as my mom says, we'll have plenty of time to cry in our mai tais on the beach at st. kitts. really looking forward to epcot as an adult. we've got tickets to see la nouba (cirque de soleil) and i'm very, very excited. my body is still at work, but my brain...

hey shrinkin! glad you're back! yay YOU!!! it's the hardest thing - but every time you do it, you get better at it, and it comes more naturally. so sorry to hear about your mom's health complications.

bill! oranges! mmmmmm....and second your statement that beck's idea to set up your environment, works! i credit that strategy with my ongoing success, and ability to recover faster from falls. it's just easier to be on plan than to stray.

kim, absolutely marvelous very loud KUDOs to you on recognizing your ability to continue taking care of yourself in the midst of grief and stress. just, wow.

angelmomma, thinking about you!

hi robin! did you ever talk to that lady who gave you the massage coupon? i'd be happy to take it off your hands.

hi anne! happy lurking! hope all is well - don't write back if you don't have the time!

all right everyone - the next time you hear from me, well, frankly, i don't know exactly when that will be. but i'll have a tan then, for sure.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #60  

Bill~ ah, the comfort of home not-so-sweet home! perhaps home healthy home would be a better Beck Mantra!

Shrinkin' ~ originally I thought reading the ARC would be a snap...but its not. I like how you listed it as what you need to do to get back on plan.

Tera ~ woo-hoo for you! it's good to see those down-stream numbers, especially this time of year and during a hectic time with school....simply not gaining is a victory so losing 2 is great! Glad that Beck works for toppled trees......I do think that getting the tree straight and secure is a big challenge every Christmas.

Robin ~ I think OA is a wonderful program but it doesn't help everyone.....I tried it twice and although there were parts I liked, something wasn't quite a good match for me. I think it's important to trust our gut.....if it doesn't resonate with you, keep searching until you find what feels right and works. just like Oprah has tried many things in her life......it's all a journey to a healthy life-style......losers never quit and quitters never lose!

Jeanie ~ wow....you have much to celebrate on this vacation....i love how you wrote about being so close to not offically being obese! Woo-hoo for you! What kind of charma do you use? And just think of how great you'll look in vacation pictures! Personally, that's one of my ARC reminders....I want to look good in pictures!

I totally know what you mean about your DH being a diet coach.....it's just too close for me. It is an art to be a diet coach....and frankly there are not many whose communication skills would not "trigger" me.....I am an emotional eater and can imagine the disaster an unskilled but well-intentioned diet coach could inflict! I think clean communication surrounding weight loss and weight issues are as important as keeping your environment clean.....things can get messy! (at least in my world)

Best wishes,
Andrea aka thinkerbelll
Closed Thread