Yams

• I love making yams with brown sugar and butter but is there a healthier version that I can make this Thanksgiving?
  • I've never liked sweetened sweet vegetables, so normally I wouldn't have any suggestions for you, but in a restaurant, so long ago I don't remember the restaurant, they had a potato buffet with sweet and white baked potatoes and a toppings bar for both. I thought it was a really neat idea, and guests can modify their potato to their liking. You could have any combination of toppings you wanted, butter, light butter spread, sugar and cinnamon, splenda and cinnamon, brown sugar, bacon bits, light or regular maple or maple flavored syrup, honey, bacon bits (I know the bacon bits sounded weird to me, but my mom picked bacon bits and a little light syrup for her sweet potatoe and it was really good) and if you decided to do baked white potatoes too you could also add the sour cream, onion, chives..

• Mattie, I can almost eat sweet potatoes with nothing now if I find good ones. I have put cinnamon and honey on them before though--just go easy on the honey. If you really want low-calorie, use a couple of "shots" of sugar-free syrup you buy at Starbucks. The caramel flavored one is good!
  • Instead of brown sugar, you could use Sugar Twin Brown. It's not always available in every grocery store; you might have to buy it online. There's also Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, which should be in all grocery stores. It's half brown sugar, half Splenda. For the butter you could use any margarine. My mom always uses syrup in her candied yams, so when I make mine I use light syrup.